Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Remind me who's missles are currently blowing up Russian tanks, helicopters and aircraft...

The only one hiding in putin locked away in a bunker somewhere ,

a true coward

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Most analysts believe that Putin thought he could take Ukraine in 48 hours flat and Zelensky would flee the country. Presumably this would have bolstered him in Russia and he could present himself as the victorious strong man.

Even so, they've managed to commit a laundry list of war crimes - attacked civilian housing, attacked hospitals, fired at fleeing civilians, shelled a frigging nuclear power plant, made themselves an international pariah state, cut themselves off from the global markets and supply chains, destroyed their economy for at least a generation and seem to have caused the collapse their own currency, destroyed their neighbour's economy and infrastructure which impacts their own food supply, have suffered enormous military loses of people and equipment and all for what exactly? A war they can't win to take over a country that will now hate them for a hundred years...

Then in terms of his international strategy - They've unified NATO and solved all of the EU's internal squabbles overnight by uniting it against them and possibly set it on a path to being a significant military power...and remilitarised Germany!

There is no strategy to this - just a dictator with notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Could it just be imperialism? Putin saw western division and weakness and consequently an opportunity to bring Ukraine forcefully back into its sphere of influence.

The problem now is that when they do take the country (and sadly, it's highly likely they will), there is no possible viable exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

But what do you think? Nobody launches a war just for the crack or to satisfy their ego. Wars of aggression are launched with a specific goal in mind be it monetary or strategic which is usually a springboard to monetary advantage anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Context - a reviewer gives his take on the nuclear question- part of a review series for 'The day after'

I have been sparring with a few people on and off - specifically on the question of Military action during this conflict

this reviewer says it all, and he says it better than i can

FYI

IMHO

Comment and debate welcome but in all honesty - please. Before you call anyone else a coward, or an appeaser - watch

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Whilst true, I would observe that the British were one of the few to do so early enough that they likely had a tangible effect on the invasion. Most other countries waited for the war to either be on the threshold or until after it started (look at the dates for the various countries) before giving practical aid, I suspect all those NLAWs, for example, delivered with sufficient time for proper training and distribution were a factor in Ukraine surviving long enough for the rest of Europe to catch up with their own deliveries.

Whether that makes up for forcing Ukrainian refugees to get visas in Paris or Brussels instead of at Calais is certainly debatable, but the US and British actions may have been the difference between the rest of the EU taking refugees in temporarily vs permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

China just announced their military spending. While still less than that spent by the US many are arguing the spending power with this money is greater than that of the US, effectively outspending them for the first time ever.

• Advertisement

Where do you live in Russia? Careful, before this is over you could be Ukrainian. 🇺🇦

The West was clearly insane/corrupt to tie their energy into Russia (some high ups sold their country/countries). The logic defies belief.

But, we are ALL partialy responsible for buying Chinese shít. And it's a lot of shít. I mean us individually. We need to take a good look at ourselves. In the last 20-30 years we've paid for China to go from dirt poor to be a global super power. China would grind you and your family into the ground in a heart beat.

Stop buying from China.

You might think China is far away, but we live on a relatively small globe. China is clearly tooling up for regional and possibly global domination.

Stop buying Chinese, or at the very least spend the € 'savings' you make on your purchases to pay for your children's Mandarin lessons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Interestingly, there was an article recently questioning the morale of the Chinese military force. Most of the front-line fighting folk are, under the one-child-policy, the last of their bloodline, and there is great reluctance to see the line of their ancestors stop because they made a valiant charge or whatever. However, that doesn't apply quite so much on ships, which is where the Chinese are now focusing. Historically the Chinese have been worried more about land warfare than sea, with the threat from Russia and India in particular forming most of the attention. However, with Russia already less of a threat, and now after this Ukraine incident decidedly even less so, the Chinese defense budget has been focusing much more on the maritime, much to the discomfort of other PacRim countries like Japan, Taiwan and Philippines.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

The US has refused to permit the provision of Mi29 fighter jets to Ukraine by Poland. They state that there is a ceasefire and that it would compromise NATO’s stance.

It is very disappointing that they are not allowed to help Ukraine…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Have you changed your opinion of Pooh-tin yet…..?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Would you describe Putin as a Nazi? I'm assuming you're an authority on the subject given the confidence you displayed with your off the cuff condescension above.

Putin is a product of the Soviet Union and employs as many of the the tactics that made that regime so horrific to live in as he can.

Putin wants the trappings of wealth that capitalism brings but also wants the authoritarianism that he helped to enforce during the soviet era.

He has literal ties to the Soviet era, if he were to be described as either fascist or communist it stands to reason that the latter is a more logical label to apply to the man even if he is now a modified version of the same.

Glazers Out!

As well as the downgrade by Fitch and other rating agencies who are indicating a default is on the way for Russia, insurers are now virtually certain of a default and are pricing that in.

The cost of insuring Russia’s government debt rose to a record high after President Vladimir Putin signed a decree allowing it to repay foreign creditors in rubles, raising concerns about the prospects of a default across the country’s $33 billion of dollar bonds.

There are bonds due for repayment on Mar 16th which can not be paid in Roubels. If the Russian govt follow the recent decree by Putin and try to repay it in Roubels, it will likely trigger a default at which point all bets are off for Russian debt/bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

In fairness the US is providing huge assistance to Ukraine, with weapons, ammunition and recon, satellite movements on Russian troops movements. But this one is a difficult one and could have huge implications, so it never to be properly thought through.

On the other hand, Putins offer has some substance I reckon. Give Crimea and the two regions to Russia, all other Russian troops stay behind that line. Ukraine not to apply to NATO, but if any Russian troops cross the border again, that promise will be of the table. Reduce army strength to Max 200,000 with 100,00 reservists. Russia must pay reparations for damage, and recognize Ukraine right to exist as a sovereign state.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sure some on here said there was no invasion.

Day 14 of invasion- Ukraine still controls the majority of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭wandererz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Jesus Christ. I've just seen the footage of the little boy crying as he enters Poland. I've a boy the same age and that footage has really shocked me. You know, and this goes against what I've been saying all along, )that we must play the long game), Nato should attack both forces in Ukraine and installations in Russia. It must be done now. This is the only opportunity that NATO will ever have to cut Russia down and back. Yes, the threat of Nukes is real, but that risk must be taken. Otherwise we are the cowardly bully with the big stick.

Ask any Ukranian should the West intervene and the answer will always be YES.

All NATO's forces are in place for an all-out conventional strike across the Ukraine, Belarus and Russia. India should be TOLD to cooperate with NATO by the West

I'm sure that India needs plenty of our expertise and resources. Threaten to cut them off or come on board. Both India and Turkey, two massive armies, would help create more fronts for Russia to worry about.

Take the risk. We now know where all Putin's assets are, subs included. Have a night of the long Knives and surgically cut Russia's head off. That would be the end of it.

I can understand now why someone would want to pick up a rifle and fight. I bloody well would.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone with even ten percent brain power would be absolutely mad to sign up to that.

The Russians would be back in the blink of an eye and you've less means to defend yourself.

The utter naivety of some people given all of the facts of the last eight years rarely ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The UK normally has no issue getting involved in the war part but generally does feck all when it comes to the humanitarian part as that would inconvenience them at home. Just look at the invasion of Iraq looking for non-existent WMD, destabilised the entire region, leading to ISIS ans the refugee crisis. Apparently Europe was to blame for the refugee crisis though!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

I have no doubt that boy believes in the righteousness of his country's peacekeeping operation, but it's a worrying sign that the Kremlin are winning the hearts and minds of the people in the street, sanctions be damned. There are still reports of anti-war protests coming in, but the numbers involved seem to be dwindling. Has the entire foreign press core been kicked out of Russia at this stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

Yes, that goes with the condition he apparently has- From what I understand it is another sign of a COMPLETE lack of empathy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

"Yes, the threat of Nukes is real, but that risk must be taken. Otherwise we are the cowardly bully with the big stick"

We (the West) are the cowardly bully if we do nothing? Seriously? If the West is the cowardly bully in such a case what does that make Putin?

Indeed the risk of Nukes in such a scenario is a very real risk, so real that you need to thread very carefully or you risk far greater consequences than you may realise, the video posted by @liamtech is worth watching before any state jumps the gun, self preservation needs to be massively considered hand in hand with the notion of defence of other nations:-

"India should be TOLD to cooperate with NATO by the West"

History shows us that sovereign states don't like being told what to do, doing so often creates the opposite to the result you want to achieve, do we really want to become the bully boy, is that not exactly what Russia has done with Ukraine?

"Have a night of the long Knives and surgically cut Russia's head off. That would be the end of it"

If only it was that simple...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

I think this war could be over very quickly if Beijing picked up the phone and called a halt to it: they most likely knew the invasion was going ahead, and I'd imagine, the dialogue now would be, "You had your chance and you blew it". I dunno what's more beneficial to Beijing: a pariah-Russia at their beck and call, or a return to the status quo, but I get a sense that they know they've backed the wrong horse...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The Chinese are laughing all the way to the bank on this. The ONLY thing that would cause them to call a halt in the Kremlin would be nuclear risk escalaltion.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

China is the one to watch, they have an EU summit coming up soon and would be eager to resolve the issues surrounding Lithuania, the Uyghurs, the anti-coercion instrument, the Comprehensive Agreement on Investment and the various sanctions between the two. That asides China seems to be very vocal against the US over bio labs now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement