Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly built social homes sitting idle for over 8 months in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

A young Traveller family was moved into a house in the estate here during the pandemic. Initially it was "relatively" quiet with only the occasional squad car arriving (although they've since started circling the estate regularly now), but not too long ago a dozen Gardai arrived one afternoon and "let themselves in" (I only realised it when the loud thud of a forced entry came through the window - I WFH myself). The residents weren't at home but the Gardai were clearly looking for something.

They've now recently gotten a dog/puppy and the poor thing is left outside pretty much all day in the small (very small) garden while they are out wherever they are. Barking is becoming a nuisance already. When the kids grow up I expect far more problems, but I won't be here for that!

No, they may not all be bad but if even quieter ones like this draw that sort of attention and negativity, that's on them not those of us living near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not according to the virtue signallers who do not live near any of them apparently. What do you think?

Thata called assessing risk, based on lots of information available to gardai. Health & safety, human rights etc, all come into play when gardai have an operation.

nothing to do with being afraid.

• Advertisement

What about the virtue signallers who DO live near them?

I thought this thread assumed that all travellers are troublesome?

Yep, I'm late 40s myself. And in my job over 23 years. Plenty of experience with the travelling community. At least I can see and acknowledge the prejudice that I have sometimes felt, seems like others cannot admit it and are still adamant in blaming all travellers for the actions of some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

They've now recently gotten a dog/puppy and the poor thing is left outside pretty much all day in the small (very small) garden while they are out wherever they are. Barking is becoming a nuisance already.

Sorry that's my fault for not giving them a bigger garden

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They shouldn't have it at all IMO - the garden, the dog or the house. If they can't respect these things, and the narrative is that they are agentless victims who aren't responsible for their actions, it'll never change.

Unfortunately it'll be the people around them who'll be left to deal with the consequences of this nonsense mindset

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

You are confusing 'prejudice' with 'fact'. I (and many others here it seems) are basing our perception of travellers on 'fact' and experiences/interactions that have actually occurred.

You want to call this prejudice - ok so, I'll leave you to it. But please know that you are incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I think it goes without saying that I admit to having negative views of them too.

Given that my opinion is based on reason and actual experience, does that mean that my opinion isn't prejudicial?

most of my interactions with the travelling community have been because they have been in the wrong side of the law. That doesn't mean it's fact to say that they are all criminals. At least I can recognise my own prejudices when they occur. I would have hoped a teacher would be a lot more understanding of prejudices and how to rise above them.

@bubblypop doesn't know what 'prejudice' means. Doesn't get the "not based on reason or actual experience" bit.

I suspect the above definition won't help.

Your negative opinions of all travellers are based on your experience with some.

Try saying the same with any other section of societies.

Bubblypop knows exactly what prejudice means and at least Bubblypop can recognise and acknowledge it.

You just don't get it!! No one said 'all travellers are criminal'. You are claiming others are prejudiced - but you don't understand what that word means. Take a look at the definition above again.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I haven't said that all travellers are criminals. I have however said the traveller community has a huge problem with criminality. I acknowledge that they aren't all criminals, but crime and antisocial behaviour is widespread throughout their community.

I have had extensive interractions with travellers for the best part of 50 years. I've been to school with them, grew up with them, was friends with some of them when I was younger, still live near them, know them very well, still observe their antisocial and criminal activities and yes, I'm basing my experience based on my experiences/observations of them and their extended families. You'll find that many others living near other travellers have the same experience/views.

I base my views on my experiences/observations. I don't see many other groups behaving in the same way as the travellers.

I know exactly what the word means. People try to justify their prejudices by staying that travellers are represented higher in prison populations etc.

Like your earlier example of 'traveller culture' where you decided that crime is part of traveller culture. It's all just to justify bias.

I was in college, many many years ago with a guy from South Africa, he did the same to justify his prejudices against 'the blacks ' Australians do it to justify their prejudices against the aboriginals. It's not uncommon, it happens everywhere. The trick is to recognise your own prejudices

I agree, they do have issues with criminality. I too have had extensive experience with travellers.

You say you acknowledge that they are not all criminals, but then you go on to say that you don't see other groups behaving the same way. Well that's clearly not true, because criminals come from all sections of society. Anti social behaviour is committed by all sections of society. So, lumping all travellers into just one big group, to dismiss them all, is like you turning to me and suggesting that all my family are criminals because some of them have been in trouble.

Look, I'm not innocent of this either, like I say everyone has their prejudices, I just try to recognise my own and not act on them.

Everyone is an individual, I base my actions and impressions of people on those people themselves and their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

so “High risk” situations have nothing to do with being afraid!?

mental gymnastics is right. Don’t worry I know you hold the correct opinions on everything.

• Advertisement

No they don't have anything to do with being afraid.

are you for real? Gardai are not afraid to do their job. Their job includes doing risk assessments as standard. Risk assessments and human rights protocols.

nothing to do with being afraid. It's their job, and that's how it is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

pavee point tbf do call out their own at times

but not enough

lets not be naive

travellers do as they wish as they’ve got no respect for anyone not their own or the settled community

it’s a situation that’ll never be rectified

Gardai or judiciary or government have mo stomach to tackle this problem

Nope. I am not a solicitor. And I am not at liberty to disclose my line of work online.

Why? What does that have to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Only thing I've ever seen them call out among their own is that uk crowd who had literally enslaved people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I wanted to give you the respect of a proper response to your post cos you’ve been fair, so that’s why the delay in responding. I can’t use the desktop site at all 😬

The prison stats argument is not only misleading, it’s useless, and I demonstrated why it’s useless by way of pointing out that people regardless of their background, whether they’re a traveller or not, engage in criminal behaviour, and most will never get caught, let alone see the inside of a prison. If you’re only looking at prison stats, then yes, it stands to reason why you would be convinced there’s a massive issue with criminality in the wider traveller community. It’s that sort of being attuned to information which supports your already held beliefs about any group, be it travellers or whoever else, which means you’re choosing to place a disproportionate amount of your attention on travellers who engage in criminal activity. It’s a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy, but - recognition of human rights is not contingent upon the levels of criminal activity among any group in society. You’re arguing that travellers should be held to a different standard than everyone else.

The example I gave wasn’t whataboutery. Surely if you’re making the point that travellers are over-represented in criminality statistics, you have to be comparing the level of criminality among travellers with something else? In this case it happens to be the level of criminality among people who aren’t travellers. That’s a direct comparison. And from that comparison we can identify the differences in scale, and proportionate punishment of those individuals involved in criminal behaviour. It’s why for example we don’t send a woman to prison for years for robbing a couple of knickers and lippy from Penneys, whereas someone who defrauds the State to the tune of €1.6m, even if they are a pillar of their community, they get treated in proportion to the level of their specific offence that they’ve been charged with.

The example I gave of the father who abused his daughters for years was in contrast to @teachinggal123’s assertion that travellers today are any different than they were years ago - they aren’t, and the people who they come in contact with aren’t any different either, which is why those women were making the point that they were failed by the State when they were children, because people who had a duty of care to protect them, failed to protect them, due to their own prejudices about travellers. It would be unfair of me to suggest that @teachinggal123 would display the same indifference towards traveller children whom she knew were being abused, even if she does argue that discrimination against travellers is justifiable based upon associating criminality with traveller culture. I couldn’t envision a scenario where anyone would be in a position where they would just straight out tell a traveller child confided in them that they were being abused - “better get used to it, it’s your culture, sort it out yourself, if you stay in school and move out of that caravan into a four bed-semi, you won’t grow up to be responsible for your father abusing you! Now run along, sos is almost over and I have a bursting headache from your sisters acting out in class already!” Do you get the point now?

You don’t have to be a medical expert to see how discrimination perpetrated against travellers because of their inability and unwillingness to conform to your standards would contribute to poor mental health and suicide statistics. Again, on their own, the statistics are meaningless, they only mean anything when they’re put in their proper context. What you’re doing is no different than the way discrimination against other groups in society is justified - criminality among homosexuals meant they were over-represented in prison, mental health and suicide statistics too, and the same argument was made that it was because of their lifestyle that they were over-represented and shouldn’t be granted equal recognition in law. It’s the exact same, no different. Just substitute the word homosexual for traveller in your own post, and you’ll see it for yourself. There are still people who think it’s bollix too that people who are homosexual are getting special treatment that nobody else gets, that they have an awful habit of blaming the State for all their woes and taking no responsibility for their own actions. I mean, word for word, you can surely see the parallels in the arguments? The only difference is the people who are being discriminated against. The justifications offered for the discrimination are exactly the same.

Travellers are doing exactly the same to address the issues in their own community as most people are doing to address issues within their own communities - pretty much fcukall. Most of them think no different than you do - that everything is on the traveller community to bend over backwards and accommodate people who aren’t travellers by trying to be just like them and being miserable in the attempt to fit in where they know they’re not wanted. It’s putting the responsibility on travellers to tow the line and take responsibility for people who engage in criminal behaviour. You don’t expect you should have to take responsibility for criminals, why do you expect travellers should be held to a different standard?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Ok then, let's put it to the test. I am going to legitimately criticise a negative aspect of traveller culture, and according to your own words, I should expect to be called a bigot for doing so. Let's go.

A case came before Judge Kevin Kilrane last year in Donegal involving two travellers engaged in an arranged bare knuckle fight. The headling of the article below is "Judge says Traveller culture is no excuse for the violence of bare knuckle fighting". You can read the full article at the end of this post by registering with a disposable email address.

An excerpt from the article reads “There is a view that matters of this nature among the Travelling community is culture and we should let the Travelling community continue in bare knuckle fights with bets being placed on it and to interfere with that is to interfere with their culture,” said the judge. "This is a point of view with which I do not agree. To organise a fist fight of this nature is perpetuating a culture of violence."

I agree with the judge. This is a feral and barbaric practice that has no place in a civilised society; a view also taken by the judge. He also expressed concern that children present at these events or growing up in this environment are exposed to a culture of violence.

The judge noted that, just because you're from the travelling community does not mean that you get to enjoy your own parallel law. He further commented that "they say, we want to be treated equally but we want to continue certain traditions that are illegal".

So there you have it. An illegal and negative aspect of traveller culture that Judge Kilrane acknowledged existed but ruled that it cannot be tolerated. I agree with Judge Kilrane.

Are both Judge Kilrane and myself bigots?

https://www.derrynow.com/news/news/607939/judge-says-traveller-culture-is-no-excuse-for-the-violence-of-bare-knuckle-fighting.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What exactly are you hoping to test? Whether I personally would call you a bigot? Anyone should expect to be called a bigot if they express views which are bigoted. That can’t possibly be any sort of a revelation.

The example you give anyways is a perfect example of expressing a view which is not based upon bigotry. The Judge specifically makes the point that they cannot justify their actions by claiming bare knuckle boxing is in any way an aspect of traveller culture. It’s not.

Tyson Fury, dunno if you’re familiar with him, but he does the same shtick and uses his status as a traveller as an excuse for his behaviour. Far as I’m concerned he’s nothing more than an ignorant thug who’s handy with his fists -

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/08/world/tyson-fury-irish-travellers/index.html

See? You can express legitimate criticism of a person’s behaviour, without suggesting that anyone who shares characteristics in common with them is also an ignorant thug who’s handy with their fists. From my own personal experience, most travellers have no interest in bare-knuckle boxing, and the few that do will always try to justify their behaviour by claiming it’s an important part of their culture. It’s not, and the Judge was right to call them out on their BS.

Why would you think judge Kilraine is a bigot? There were people in his court for, presumably, public order offences and maybe an assault offence, he tried it and found he/them guilty. Because he applied the law as it should be applied. What are you trying to show with this case?

Of course, it's not so many years ago that the same Kevin Kilraine, would have been the one defending said people, and no doubt claiming it was their culture that made them do it! 🤣🤣

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

i dont believe that any one who has been involved in front line policing for any length of time could reasonably hold the views that you do tbh

Not all travelers are criminals i agree but the vastly overwhelming majority are , that is just the reality.

99 percent of traveller culture is toxic, dangerous and anti social to the rest of us .

prejudice would suggest that peoples feelings towards travellers are unfounded and without cause , which is not true at all.

its simply the result of decades of being the victim of rampant lawless and difficult to police gangs of travellers . to pretend otherwise helps no one

• Advertisement

So where did you get that 'overwhelming majority' and 99% from please?

Advertisement