Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partial Carers Allowance Thresholds

• 08-03-2022 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

can anyone advise me on what the thresholds are for qualification for partial carers allowance or how the means test calculator works?

trying go get clear information online on this is impossible 😖😖

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

There’s no “partial” carers allowance. There is 1/2 rate carers allowance. I’ll explain. If you are already getting a SW payment (pension, disability allowance etc) and you’re caring for someone full time and that person needs full time care and attention then you can apply for carers allowance and you’ll get 1/2 payment €118 as well as your payment.

If your cohabitant is on a payment and claiming for you and getting paid an increase for you then you can claim carers allowance and get 1/2rate carers as well as the increase.

You can work 18 1/2 hours outside of the caring and no more.

if you are single you can have income from work of €332.50 and still get all the carers/1/2 rate carers and the household income can be €665 if your in a couple

If you have more then that then the amount of carers you will get starts to reduce in proportion.

it’s the same for 1/2 rate as full carers

If your wondering if you can get a reduced rate of carers if you are looking after someone part time then the answer is no. Carers is only for people who are caring full time for someone who needs full time care and attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I think there used to be a carers benefit which could only be claimed 104 weeks and was a reduced rate , I can't remember the exact details though , I think you could only work up to 15 hrs a week.

Tootired might know a bit about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i believe you can work part time 18.5 hrs a week - how strict are they about that?

It’s absolute. If you work more then 18.5 hrs then you are disqualified

No. Carers Benefit has the same rules about working and caring as Allowance and is actually €1 more then allowance

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

you also have to ensure that the person you are caring for is looked after and cared for in your absence.

^^^^

yes i know

Because revenue chat all the time now to SW. and also because it’s fraud and theft to take money from the taxpayer that you’re not entitled to take, and why would you want to do that fryup?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i've been offered a part-time job 20hrs per week - so my question is how hard will they come down on me for the extra 1.5 hrs? should i phone SW and tell them?

Post edited by fryup on

• Advertisement

If you go to work for 20 hours a week you will have to inform SW and your carers allowance will cease.

Advertisement