Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDermott is to sue Twitter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I would imagine EMD will bump into someone some night in ireland who isn't pleased with his behaviour and could end up in trouble, wasn't he attacked in Dublin previously ? On twitter, has anyone ever sued Twitter and won ? I don't recall any cases off hand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Lets see. Not a chance this reaches court and not a chance McDermott gets a payout.

The cynic in me thinks its a soundbite from McDermotts legal and PR people to try and salavage what is left of his reputation.

If he were to take this case and lose it it would potentially ruin him.

Also the longer this is relevant the more chance questions will be asked directly to him of the nature of his relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

He was attacked from behind by some guy after he left a pub in Clondalkin. Think it was back in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The cynic in me thinks its a soundbite from McDermotts legal and PR people to try and salavage what is left of his reputation.

According to the media, papers have been lodged in the high court.

I assume this is easily verified.

I think he will take a case and he and his legal team probably feels Twitter will settle out of court. Irish defamation/libel laws are some of the toughest in the world.

Whether Twitter settle out of court, or not, is an entirely different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Apologies, but the plaintiff hasn't proved that he was defamed. He has claimed he has been defamed. Not the same thing. He can only prove that in court. And he hasn't made it into the court as of yet.

Regarding the point you claim is moot, it's up to the court to decide if criteria have been met. Neither you nor I can say right now if that criteria will be met as we aren't in possession of the full facts nor are we aware of the law surrounding the matter. I'm sure there will be extensive legal argument on it if it makes it to court.

You don't think the veracity of the claims are important? Really? The whole point of the court case to establish the veracity (truthfulness, accuracy) of the claims in order to see if the defendant has been defamed. And then if he has been defamed, they then must decide to what extent has he been defamed, and how much compensation is adequate for said defamation.

Apologies, but the plaintiff hasn't proved that he was defamed

I never said he did. I said.

It's up to the plaintiff to provide proof he was defamed. Which he has.

It would be bizarre in the extreme if the legal strategy was to prove that the plaintiff was not defamed. Especially when they are not obliged to and especially given they have the person who made the claims state through their solicitor they lied.

They would have to disprove that "confession" and then prove all the original allegations were true.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,489 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I suspect there are a few here who want to believe someone will beat him up, and he will lose to Twitter, without anything to support either. She published allegations online, serious allegations, then admitted they were false, why anyone would claim with certainty that he wasn’t defamed, and that he won’t be successful in suing Twitter for allowing the false allegations to be published is beyond comprehension. Nothing is certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Off topic but the thread on it was locked. What's going on with yer one Blathnaids personal injury case against RTE?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I'm going to leave it after this because we are going around in circles.

McDermott has provided no proof whatsoever that he was defamed. He has alleged that he was defamed and has provided evidence that he was defamed which may or may not stand up in court. Evidence does not equal proof until it's ruled upon in court. As of now, it's an allegation that he was defamed, similar to EB's allegation that she was sexually assaulted (some aspects of which she has withdrawn).

I've lots of experience in legal strategy, albeit with personal injury claims and not defamation. That said, the process in court is pretty much the same. Establish if any harm occurred, and then make an appropriate award for the level of harm caused. McDermott has to prove he was defamed, just as much as an injured person making a claim for damages has to prove their injuries.

On your point that the client lied, that hasn't been established. It certainly looks like she lied, but they might claim that they were mistaken. Big difference. They could blame the fact that they made the allegations some 10 years after the incident occurred. They may allege they were traumatised and therefore misremembered certain details etc. I'm not standing up for EBingley here, nor am I saying I believe a single word that she has said, I'm just trying to portray what may be claimed in court. And that solicitor's letter could also be lies or contain more inaccuracies. Or EBingley could have been forced to write it under duress etc. You can be sure that aspects of the letter and allegations against McDermott will be questioned.

Another tactic might be to try get McDermott on the stand and embarrass him. Many people here are assuming that he was with EBingley when she was 17 and still in school. This may or may not be true. If this is the case and he was with the girl when she was 17 and he was 27, while legal, this might not portray him in a good light. Many people have very negative views of ex-teachers dating schoolgirls 10 years their junior. He might not be comfortable pouring over those details in a public forum. And if Twitter can portray him in a negative light, it might have the effect of reducing the damages (if any). I'm certainly not saying any of this is true because I don't know the details. But you can be sure that Twitter will at least examine this option and won't totally rule it out if it goes to court.

And all of the above might be moot if Twitter are successful with the Innocent Publication defence as that's probably what they'd lead with.

Many companies won’t release personal information about their users without a High Court order- I’m not saying it’s the case here, but in order to sue users of Twitter other than the primary accuser, (who is know ) who retweeted the accusations and who may have slandered/defamed someone in the process, (but who may not be known) a high court order would be the way to go.

I wonder if this is the start of a bigger process?

While we are making statements as our closer on this:

Eoghann McDermott is, in my opinion, a horrible man with horrible views, someone who has been shown to be a hypocrite and someone I would gladly never hear about again. This has no bearing on the accusations leveled at him.

The woman who accused him of statutory rape and other horrible things is a proven liar, I don't believe for one moment anyone could plausibly "misremember" their age when it comes to making such a serious allegation and therefore her credibility with regards any other accusation is shot.

The only fact we know that when McDermott and this woman met, she was above the legal age of consent, and therefore any sexual acts which she agreed to were absolutely nobody elses business, regardless of whether she happened to still be attending school or not.

With regards that the sexual act was not consenual, unless an official complaint or accusation was made, it should be held to the same regard as claims made on the internet by someone posting anonymously, especially considering the person has already admitted to not being able to remember something as simple as her own age.

The expectation that McDermott should need to clarify any claims made by anonymous people on the internet is astounding and only stems from peoples dislike of his persona and him as a person.

I have no opinion on him suing twitter. Couldn't care less. I don't like him but to be falsely accused of rape (statutory or otherwise) is absolutely disgusting and something should never have to experience. It does seem ghoulish that people are expecting him to clarify everything about a sexual encounter based on a flippant allegation on reddit/twitter.

He shouldnt have been subjected to the calim of underage sex.

At the same time for Eoghan Mc the questions around his alledged involvement with a 17yo school child havent been clarified. Id imagine he is finished on the national airwaves.

His action against twitter? I dont know. Would twitter be potentially opening the floodgates by settling? There must he thousands of defaming posts amd comments a week being published. You'd imagine they are protected.

And that solicitor's letter could also be lies or contain more inaccuracies. Or EBingley could have been forced to write it under duress etc. 

If Twitters defence team go into open court and claim her legal team coerced her into providing a false "confession", then they will be up next serving high court papers.

If you want to leave it there we will, the imaginary boundaries of how this case my play out are just becoming rather irrational to put it mildly.

The reality is Twitter will not touch the substance of the claims, primarily because they don't have to IMHO.

Seriously lad.

She has accused him of a pretty grievous crime, but you are obsessed with the actual part that is completely legal.

What gives?

😕

"At the same time for Eoghan Mc the questions around his alledged involvement with a 17yo school child havent been clarified."

Nor should they be. It's none of your business

Well there you go thats my thoughts on it. And as you can see from this thread and other sites im not in the minority.

Just to clear, why would Twitter want to question him about his private life relating to a person above the age of consent? Surely that would be counter productive as it would confirm the falsity of the allegation.

Hysterical Karens who believe everything that is written on the internet?

Hardly a club to be a proud member of is it?

• Advertisement

You've repeated those thoughts ad nauseam throughout the thread but still haven't clarified any questions put to you (which is ironic considering your main gripe is seeking clarification).

Why would her being in school make a difference if she is over the age of consent? Would you feel the same if it was a 19 year old still in school? At what age should a woman be permitted to consensually engage in sexual activity with a 27 year old for it to be acceptable in your opinion? If you don't agree that a 17 year old should be able to have sex with a partner of their choosing, what age would you like the age of consent raised to?

Almost all of your posts have focused on your dislike for EMD's "wokeness" and metoo movement support. I get that he was a hypocrite and would have been the first to levy abuse at someone caught at what he was up to. But by your carry on, you are engaging at the same hyperbolic cancel culture bullshit you slate EMD for.

It's Hysterical Karen's, but also those that revel in schadenfreude that a Woke, vocal male Feminist, has been "found out".

So people who hate cancel culture are revelling in a gross example of it.

I'll update that to Hysterical Karen's and the dangerously stupid so.

😕

I'd even put myself in that group. I can't stand him and delight in the fact that he was hoist by his own petard. But the witch hunt has gone on long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

This is a bit off topic. I wonder did Eoghan McDermott believe in the woke agenda he preached or did he identify it as a means to fame..

He's not known for anything else really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Who is/was more woke Eoghan or Keith Walsh??

Must be getting old, had to google him as well.

Hard to say. It may well have been just a cloak he wore whilst working in RTE to build his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

amazing that you might have to lie about who you are and what you believe to get on in an organisation where the truth matters. The more w go with the woke agenda the more it looks like the straightjacket state we had up to the 1980's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭RoTelly

someone tell me what the difference is here, with the following allegations, and I'd wonder why RTÉ would reprint this PA article for the DJ in England, strange

Maybe due to the doc on BBC Three, but the silence on the allegations in the Irish case was very apparent.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2022/0427/1294663-bbc-director-general-westwood-allegations-appalling/

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement