Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Lads let cows out to grass and now calves have scour. This happens every year when I let them out. Is there anything I can put into the milk to help prevent this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Feed them milk replacer ….it’s a consistent feed every day if mixed correctly …one of reasons I moved from whole milk few years ago…whole milk during spring where cows are in/out isn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 11,523 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a product called Prebiotic and Postbiotic for calves from Precision Microbes. That's seems to be getting good reviews. Sounds like it would be of use.

My own are getting a little something about a week of age. It's not a scour but they're turned off milk for a few feeds and when they get through it they're perfect again. I'm getting that product myself today to try on the latest calves that are going this now.

I'd have reservations about the milk replacer route. You could be entering and forced out in a short time from above. I'd try the microbes with the milk and this way you'll know now and maybe save a bit typing into the register as that's getting tighter too.

The product is only available through Vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Mc loughlins are selling it online. I think they have a vet practice. But it is available online.

High levels on calmag in dairy nuts can cause scour in young calves through the milk.

Using both new milk and mr here for convenience this year. No noticeable difference in performance. Possibly whole milk slightly better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I wonder will the owner regret changing tenant in time to come. He must have been doing something right if they set it too him for so long. Far away hills are always greener but the highest bidder isn't always the best tenant.

A neighbour of mine was farming in a big way during the reference years. He had a lot of land taken on conacre and had a fairly checkered history as regards paying and minding rented land. He took about 10 acres of real good land a distance away this particular year. Someone remarked to him that it was a long way to come for small acreage, "shur the land about there isn't half grazed" he replied. All he wanted was the foot in the door and he intended to eat all the ground round about it and did just that.

Another man who had 300 odd sucklers at one stage on mostly rented ground often told me that it was hard to make the figures add up if you paid first half of the rent never mind the second. He'd out bid someone on a farm up the country, pay the first installment and land a bundle of cows and calves to it. Come the backend when it was skinned all summer he'd land a lorry at dawn some morning and draw all home and that was end of the arrangement and payment. The man that gave €100 an acre, paid it off and minded it was a far better client that the con merchant at €300 who didn't pay the half of it and wrecked it.

That's not to say it will happen in the above scenario but it's easy to give a real good price when you don't intend paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The hoofcare man had a deal with an elderly man who's in a home this years, his son in Australia went behind his back and rented it to someone else for more money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭roosterman71

If they start taxing the land rental money, then the price will go up for land, not down. Why would ye think that a landowner say getting €300/acre now, and then will only get €250 cos of a "new" tax wouldn't be looking for €350/acre next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

dont see the price going up if tax brought into rental, and at some point the tax free land rental will cease

rent can only go so far nationally the avg dairy profit per acre according to teagasc in 2019 was 447, dry stock at 150

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Tried it last year. Vet gave it to us when we were having issues.

Didn't do anything for us..

I've been given a bottle and to report back.

Was it serious like cocci with you?

I noticed molasses is the food for the microbes. Three of my test calves drank 30ml's each in their milk tonight. A fourth drank about half a liter, stopped and then i just gave 30ml's as a hail mary down the throat.

The seal on my bottle was intact so the antibiotic salesmen hadn't had their way with it anyway.😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭straight

The move comes just four weeks since the chair of the group, former Teagasc director Gerry Boyle, said any measures under consideration by the group would be voluntary.

Dairy

Department moves to reintroduce dairy quotas

The move comes just four weeks since the chair of the group, former Teagasc director Gerry Boyle, said any measures under consideration by the group would be voluntary.

Jack Kennedy

08 March 2022 09:17

A limit on dairy cows per farm, a limit on the volume produced per farm or the establishment of a greenhouse gas entitlement per farm are the three options under consideration by the Department of Agriculture to curtail expansion in the Irish dairy sector.

Speaking at the Food Vision dairy group held on Monday in Backweston, Co Kildare, Department Assistant Secretary General Sinead McPhillips reportedly said unless the Government-led think-tank could come up with and agree on solutions to reduce greenhouse gases from the sector, then the Department was going to introduce one of the three mandatory options.

It is also understood that the establishment of a greenhouse gas entitlement per farm is not yet ready for national roll-out, so the per-cow limit, effectively a stock numbers limit per farm, or the volume limit are the two most likely options under consideration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Modelling

The Irish Farmers Journal understands that this type of modelling work has been completed to look at the effect of these options on stabilising and reducing greenhouse gases in an Irish scenario.

Minister for Agriculture Charlie McConalogue has asked for a detailed plan on how the dairy sector needs to react in the next number of weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Department announcement is likely to cause huge frustration among the farm organisations and the dairy industry which are taking part in the forum. Farm organisations are likely to challenge any new imposed limit on dairying on a practical and legal basis.

Fertiliser reduction

Also at the meeting, Department of Agriculture Inspector Dale Crammond presented details of a plan to further reduce chemical nitrogen usage from a projected 350,000t in 2022 down to 275,000t in 2025.

This would mean a 13% reduction in 2022, followed by a further 7% reduction in each of 2023, 2024 and 2025. This would involve replacing 65% of CAN (27% N) used on Irish farms with protected urea.

Teagasc options

Principal research officer with Teagasc Kevin Hanrahan presented details of a scenario that suggested the dairy herd would need to be reduced by 38% by 2030 if methane levels were to be reduced by 22% compared with 2018.

The modelling didn’t take into account any mitigation factors. Hanrahan had been requested by the chair to carry out simulation of the required restraint in dairy production and cow growth to achieve, firstly, stable methane levels versus 2018 and, secondly, a 22% reduction versus 2018.

War rages

The irony of the whole situation is the fact that a war is raging in Ukraine and Russia that could have devastating and huge potential consequences for Irish, EU and global food and energy reserves.

Meanwhile, a Government-led think-tank met to consider limiting the one sector of Irish farming that has a competitive advantage and a huge positive economic impact on rural Ireland.

More reports and analysis to follow.

Charlie McConalogueCowsDairy herdDairy quotasGerry BoyleGreenhouse gasesMethaneQuotasRussiaTeagasc

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

ffs keep them well away from any of this …they took a blind one sided approach to nitrate banding of cows

I think they're going to keep going until they finish farming altogether.

I can see a new found appreciation of all farmers stemming from the Russian invasion and all the knock on effects it’s having worldwide ….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Would the quota be a reference year or based on more stocking rate?

A poteintal reference year is one of main reasons I’m mantaning stock numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

And why I am trying to get them up a bit. Expensive year to be buying and trying to save more feed to be at it though.

They will discard all common sense and practical solutions and just listen to whatever teagasc say. So it will be a new Zealand lite model. That means more cows and less milk. So I guess the limit will be on litres as opposed to stocking rates or milk solids or anything that would make more sense. Then they will keep going around in circles with declining water quality, etc. It's hard not to feel deflated with all the BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭jaymla627

You know the battle has been lost when an taisce are talking more sense then the government re allowable organic n on the grazing block, then you house cows and draw their slurry to outside blocks, the department by the looks of things want to shut the industry down, and not a word about compensation for farmers that literally have mortgaged the farm to facilitate expansion

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭cosatron

We recently installed a secondhnad parlout with the milk pump down the pit. Had a diaphragm pump before hand. So the automatic probes have a mind of there own. Just wondering what do my fellow sufferers use and how do you find it

Electric pump in the pit same as yourself.

Sounds like the control box needs some adjustment. Had to do some tinkering with the settings on my own before I got where I wanted it. The first year I wasn't long finding out about the reset button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭cosatron

Cheers, the blue dail is set at 9.5, but it's so unpredictable, the service guys are coming out Saturday to see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

320 an acre for silage ground for 2 cuts of silage locally here

you buy the fertiliser

absolute madness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭jaymla627

All depends weather said farmer can cut back numbers and forget about the lunacy of the above our he can't due to financial commitments, its a zero sums game, that silage ground at 320 could be value come next spring if grain can't be got into the country and probably fertilizer, the job is f***ked to put it mildly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

16€ per bale just for the land

i bought a stack of 250 bales last week for 23€

and none of my N and P allowance used up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

What kind of bales? You probably know your sources but finding it's a bit of a lucky bag with guys buying bales.

Advertisement