Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Да, да товарищ. Мы слышали все это раньше от Добби Путина.

Никто не покупает то, что вы продаете.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If you break into someone's house with a gun, it doesn't matter what your justification is, you should be killed as soon as possible, you weren't invited and you are threatening violence. You have no rights. If NATO or Ukraine had invaded Russia, I would say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Thank god for Google translate 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

We are all being played by the wealthy elites (billionaires who can buy nations leaders & create events) people who could not care less about humanity, be that Putin or the other side who you just imagine & accept without even a question are telling the truth.

Those who think Russia just started a war out the blue for no cause except insane aggression -

2016 A documentary directed by Oliver Stone on Ukraine, and a warning of events that have now transpired. Mainly the investigative work of Robert Parry an American investigative journalist, best known for his role in covering the Iran-Contra affair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

I get the feeling that if Zhukov had been running this show several officers would have been shot already and the penal battalions would be full to bursting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The development with Chernobyl losing power is very worrying

"Ukraine’s foreign minister has called for a ceasefire to allow repairs to be carried out to restore the electricity supply to Chernobyl nuclear power plant.

Ukraine’s state power operator earlier said Russian forces have disconnected the nuclear power plant from the grid, Reuters reported.

Energoatom, Ukraine’s state-run nuclear company, warned the situation could lead to the release of radioactive substances from the plant.

It warned in a Telegram post:

The wind can transfer the radioactive cloud to other regions of Ukraine, Belarus, Russia and Europe.

If the situation continued, “all personnel there will receive a dangerous dose of radiation”, it continued.

Work to repair the connection and restore power to the plant, which has been occupied by Russian troops, has not been possible because fighting is under way, it said.

Ukrainian foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba said reserve diesel generators at Chernobyl nuclear power plant have a 48-hour capacity.

After that, cooling systems of the storage facility for spent nuclear fuel will stop, making radiation leaks imminent."

China will be supporting Russia just as the West is supporting Ukraine. Yes, they may get good deals and yes they may have old resentments towards Russia and the way the Soviets held back Chinese development, but 'events, dear boy, events'...

China is considering buying or increasing stakes in Russian energy and commodities companies, such as gas giant Gazprom PJSC and aluminum producer United Co. Rusal International PJSC, according to people familiar with the matter.

Beijing is in talks with its state-owned firms, including China National Petroleum Corp., China Petrochemical Corp., Aluminum Corp. of China and China Minmetals Corp., on any opportunities for potential investments in Russian companies or assets, the people said. Any deal would be to bolster China’s imports as it intensifies its focus on energy and food security -- not as a show of support for Russia’s invasion in Ukraine -- the people said.

And from CNN:

Chinese retail investors are snapping up stocks with even the slightest link to trade with Russia, as they bet on closer economic ties between the two countries following unprecedented Western sanctions on Moscow. From shipping firms to port operators, shares of more than a dozen Chinese companies that have trade links with Russia, or are close to its borders, have soared in the past week, even though some of them have warned investors that their stock is overvalued.

Earlier this week, shares in Jinzhou Port, China's most northerly seaport with direct shipping routes to Russia, had shot up 94% on the Shanghai Stock Exchange since Feb. 24, when Russia invaded Ukraine. Stocks in China are allowed to rise or fall by as much as 10% in daily trading. That means the port operator's shares had risen by almost the daily limit for seven straight sessions.

More good news, so far these weapons have been very effective

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

"What makes you think they were elderly, the BBC tell you that lie?"

I think it was the grotesque aftermath video of the inside of the car, showing the two elderly couple bloodied and deformed from having been shot up by a bloody tank, you sick scumbag.

• Advertisement

Again, this is all just speculation, but Russia "may" be pivoting from it's original plan to invade Ukraine/install a puppet government, and instead focus on something achievable like secure LDNR and Crimea. If true (or vaguely true) might mean some sort of peace deal could be doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Putin has reduced Russia to a vassal state of China.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes but that should be the sort of threat that comes as last resort. By throwing it into the ring early on, Putin has shot his bolt a bit. You can make it once and people sit up, take notice and go high alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

That will be all well and good if Ukraine accepts, even if they do, sanctions should not be rolled back till Putin has been tried or dead.

I haven’t seen anywhere that sanctions would be rolled back if Russia abandoned Ukraine but hopefully that won’t be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Fair points, I would also add it is easy for him to have an opinion and we have no way of testing it. If NATO had not expanded we might well be looking at a situation where Russia had already taken over the baltics and other areas. It isn't like we can run a controlled experiment to test his theory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Black Noel do not post in this thread again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Their lifeless riddle corpses in their still smouldering car kinda gave the game away. Clearly BBC CGI.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, you are probably right, which would also explain why they don't take everything they capture,,,,most they just destroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

They are big losses but they are not game changing ones. And this 5% is just the equipment they have brought in, not the equipment that they have at their disposal. The tide hasn't turned.

We need to be realistic here, as horrific as the Russians have been here, they are holding back force and still gaining ground. I still maintain, though valiant the Ukrainian effort has been, the country will fall in the next two weeks.

No pleasure in saying that, but it remains the likely outcome here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

That would work very well too!!!. In Afghanistan the present day, the landscape is littered with the rusting hulks of Russian tanks and A/V's, so they would make great long lasting road blocks. None of your cheap rusting Daihatsu rubbish; LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes. That is why we see Russia have drafted in a world war 2 train into the situation and other trains carrying 1950s and 1960s equipment from eastern Russia across the the western front. Coupled with Russian troops being transported in actual bin lorries....

Yet they are 'holding back' equipment. It's utter nonsense. They're holding back nothing. Their military might has been exposed for the disease ridden corruption that has left the military thread bare. Whether it's maintenance or tyres or fuel. It all seems to have had a price and many many people are taking a cut. Snip snip left right and center.

Russian might appears to only exist in the dreams of random Twitter accounts and useful fools who follow them on here.

Food situation worse again today. Indonesia now curbing palm oil exports.

A global food crisis sparked by Russia's invasion of Ukraine escalated today as Indonesia tightened curbs on palm oil exports. The move added to a growing list of key producing countries seeking to keep vital food supplies within their borders. The conflict in Ukraine is threatening global grain production, the supply of edible oils and fertiliser exports, sending basic commodity prices rocketing and mirroring the crisis in energy markets.

Palm oil is the world's most widely used vegetable oil and is used in the manufacture of many products including biscuits, margarine, laundry detergents and chocolate. Palm oil prices have risen by more than 50% this year. Indonesia's Trade Minister Muhammad Lufti said the export curbs aimed to ensure that cooking oil prices at home remain affordable to consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

and when the Ukrainians looked for west protection we should've have made it unequivocally clear from the very beginning that we cannot help them and encouraged them to find terms with the russians. Because truly we cannot help them and we're not helping them...

I sympathize with the Ukrainians and the just cause they're fighting for,

we can help where we can, but i'm not ready to shoot myself in the foot over it.

On the contrary, we contributed setting up this quagmire and dragged the russians into it, at the same time we also so stupidly dragged ourselves into it with massive media investment and sanctions that are backfiring on us. It's like the plan from the very beginning was to put the russians and the europeans at each other throats and stop russian gas pumping into europe.

I agree with Mearsheimer that the US played a major role in how the events unfolded in Ukraine,

Unfortunately our politicians in the EU seem to be dedicated to execute the US policy in the region not caring about our core EU strategic and economical interests.

Right now in EU, a politician could lose elections over his stance from Ukraine, that's how moronic this whole thing has become.

perhaps things aren't really as black and white as you think they are.

I'm sorry, i really do care about the EU, but i find it very hard to trust american foreign policy after how many events they were involved in unfolded around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

What anti-Putin messages did he tweet?

He said in this interview he didn't want to say anything due to his family in Russia

I am contacted by journalists now who want me to make statements. I feel very uncomfortable about this and also think that it can affect my family in Russia.

and the statements he is making are the usual "both sides" kind of cop outs.

‘I still believe Russian culture and music specifically should not be tarnished by the ongoing tragedy,’ he wrote. ‘People cannot be judged by their nationality.’

‘hatred going in all directions, in Russia and around the world.’

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

"the truth is that every Russian will feel guilty for decades because of the terrible and bloody decision that none of us could influence and predict."

One of his facebook posts. Again, expecting these people to come out and say "Putin is a scumbag killer" while they live and have family in Russia, is completely unfair.

Telling Russians they can't share their culture because a dictator decided to start a war, is crossing red lines in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I hope they are not put under pressure or made to feel like they have to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pretty horrific, bizarre angle for someone to go with...

plus I have seen the CGI in doctor who they aren't that good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think we can see in Ukraine what Russian culture really is. And I'd prefer if they kept it within their own borders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭wassie

China won't be supporting Russia unless it serves Chinese interests to do so. And the Chinese have long memories. Russia are going to simply go from being economically beholden to the west to potentially being beholden to the east.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement