Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Jesus, I hope they got to the fire/toilet/toilet-fire in time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I stopped to make sure that the video file was saved. Then I continued up the slip road where the driver was calmly sitting in a queue of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Got a phone call this morning from the Guard who had received my Traffic Watch complaint of a veeeery close pass by a coach a couple of years ago. Prosecuted in the court for Careless Driving, pleaded guilty and fined €200. The camera never lies I guess! I still have the footage on another laptop so I'll post it shortly.

Proof that Traffic Watch complaints, while time consuming, aren't necessarily a waste of time.

What did occur to me afterwards however, is that when he pleaded guilty it means he was admitting that he had done it on purpose. Which is a pretty scary thing. One thing though, he won't be doing it again!

Kudos to the investigating Garda though. She was extremely professional throughout.

I have another complaint gone in last week which is even worse and also involves a bus driver. I'll post how that one goes (eventually!). What this guy did was utterly disgusting - to a person wearing a gilet with a picture of a camera on the back. And the words' RECORDING MY JOURNEY' 🙄

What did occur to me afterwards however, is that when he pleaded guilty it means he was admitting that he had done it on purpose.

His pleading guilty would be to the offence but not necessarily the intent e.g. the incident happened but he hadn't seen you (but it probably was intentional!)

My recent report to TrafficWatch above hasn't yet resulted in a call from AGS 🙄

Had a close pass last night near Adamstown on my way home from work by a plonker in a white Transit. Caught up with the driver at the next set of lights and knocked on his window. He said to me before I opened my mouth "sorry I didn't see you". Surprised at this I asked how, given my two bright rear lights, high viz bag on my back and the street lights. He just repeated his "sorry I didn't see you" line. All I could think of saying as I left was that would be of little comfort to my wife if he had killed me. As I was pedalling away he twice shouted out his passenger window that he hadn't killed me. Gobsh1te!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

He saw me. It's clear on the footage that he saw me. It's actually obvious believe it or not. As I say, I'll put the footage up here and it'll explain itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Yoozername.

I don’t have a video but this happened yesterday.

I was cycling along and an L driver overtook me and gave me plenty of room going over the other side of the road. (Nissan Micra).

A BMW driver squeezed past me and undertook the car that was overtaking me.

Insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

Had a bit of a close pass heading inbound on the N11 near Stillorgan from a mini-bus, wasn't in any real danger as I was on the cusp of stopping at the lights anyway. What was more of an issue was that the bus came near to hitting a mother and child at the pedestrian crossing, and probably would've at least tipped the child if the mother wasn't on the ball and pulled the kid back out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Private bus drivers are the pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I had a really scary pass last week by car driving wrong side of the road at over 100km. I had to stop pedalling and move in and I thought I was gone.

I have rear fly 6 footage only but can't make the reg out. I think it's captured but needs some work in a pro editing pacage Can someone recomend something online that I could put original footage through and not loose footage that's already not so good (fly 6 is not HD)

I dont know how to post footage. If someone has a special set of skills that will help ID car I would appreciate it.

I was quite shaken by it and how 1sec slow may have saved my life. The pics are just screen grabs.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

That is insane. I looked at the first pic and didn’t really understand the issue. Then I saw the second one. Holy $hit! I cant help you with the footage, I’m afraid, but if you manage to get it sorted please do report that.

Not a near miss for me, but this morning I was coming up Phibsborough Road to Doyle’s Corner. I look to my right and here’s a guy on a Dublin bike merrily cycling the wrong way up the bollard-protected cycle lane on the other side. He comes to the junction a few seconds after the lights go green for Phibsborough Road, and swings right onto NCR, over to the left side of the road, right in front of a truck coming the other way turning left. Not a bother on the nutter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

That looks insanely close play it in VLC player and step through it frame by frame and you might be able to pick it out. You can take stills from VLC too. If you can get a partial try input it here https://private.carsireland.ie/add.php and it will give back make, model etc. to confirm if you got it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

WTF!?! The second pic is horrific. What a T**t. I hope you can get the footage "fixed". If you enhance the footage to get the reg number would that still be acceptable in a court of law??

Thanks for the replies. I will try the frame by frame but I fear I need an editing package to sharpen image. You can sense check a reg via NCT too. If you have a make and model that could only be the reg in the footage it would hold up as there are not many cars of similar make, model, col and similar reg.

I will try and put the video up on a link as it's the still does not convey how scary and fast it was, and how far they went in one second after passing. What is the best way to do upload. I don't do YouTube.

Can a mod upload it for me? Maybe someone had movie editing software and skills. I will ask a graphic designer if they can improve /sharpen it. I want to report this driver as it was frightening. I am not a shrinking violet and well used to close passes.

In mid Feb I experienced an even closer deliberate close pass in the Scalp heading to Kilternan. The driver tried to pass with on coming traffic but aborted, waited for traffic to pass and then skimmed past me with an open road on the other lane. They barely crossed the centre line and almost hitmy bars, accelerating hard. (it was a fast car). I got clear reg on this. I am averaging 1 very close per day now, one Sunday I had two on the same stretch of road on opposite sides just a few days before this. Again the vehicles passed without changing their line / moving out. They stayed on inside of white line, leaving way less than the 1.5m required in an 80km zone. Less than 1m, maybe as little as 50cm.

Its such a pain having to go to Garda. They need to make it easier to report these.

Drivers don't give a damn now about speeding or close passes as they are not being caught. There are no speed checks on Enniskerry Road. Its manic at times, motorists passing close or on blind Bends, often for little gain as the motorist just gets up to the next cyclist, sometimes passing with oncoming cyclists too. I am so pissed off at this now and it's worse its getting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What is the best way to do upload. I don't do YouTube. Can a mod upload it for me?

there's no video uploading direct to boards, images only AFAIK. you'd need to upload it to youtube or a similar site. how big is the file?

it may not be possible to sharpen the video to get the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Stick your video up on streamable and then post the link. We'll all be able to see the video anyway

But it won't improve the image, I assume it'll make it worse

Am I correct in thinking that if you edit the video, even just to enhance it, this puts its ability to be used as evidence on shaky ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

They're horrible passes, you should report them all, its a pain but its all we can do.

For what its worth I now experience far fewer close passes since changing my road position to take the lane. It forces drivers to complete a proper overtake and gives you somewhere to go if they do skim you. In saying that you aren't too far in in those pics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, i would think that if the reg is not discernible in the original video, that's it, game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It may complicate things, but as long as you have a complete chain of evidence, it should be okay.

Yes, I keep a prominent position on the road, well out. Its is essential. I will edge out more approaching a bend to narrow the choice for drivers who would otherwise pass inside the line. With a car coming up and with oncoming traffic I also edge out as much as possible, to deter the pass. That is what I did with the Porsche. I meet this vehicle a lot and rather than slow, they speed up to squeeze in ahead of oncoming. Sometimes the on coming vehicle has to slow or stop and the alway pull in before the pass is full completed ignoring the 1.5m. The, driver aborted on this day as I just left them no option to pass without crossing right over in path of oncoming vehicle. Then I got a punishment pass.

If the Garda do nothing with that then I don't know what they consider a close pass or in this case perhaps more serious charges. There are 1.5m advisory signs on this stretch of road.

These motorists are totally selfish and potentially lethal.

• Advertisement

I will try streamable. Yes, it will be worse as the resolution gets blown in the compression.

Fair play. Sounds like the porsche driver has an axe to grind, all the more reason to report. What is it with sh1te drivers and nice cars....

I am not sure but could be the case. In this country anything that makes it harder to procecute seems to be used by AGS as a reason not to do anything.

If the enhancement is only to ID vehicle, and its clear that the number matches vehicle make, model and colour, then it should not matter. Its not altering a material fact. Some vehicles are displaying registrations to avoid recognition by camera so you should be able to use tech to thwart their owners endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think sharpening the video is a myth from all those cop shows. If the data isn't there, it isn't there. If you can get a partial reg, you might be able to narrow it down by using one of the car reg sites to check through all possible options, depending on how partial your partial is, and how patient you are.

There's also a good chance you'll see the same vehicle on the same route another day and you can get the reg then.

i doubt that'd work either; a white focus isn't going to be an especially rare car. finding someone driving a white focus in the area does not in any way suggest it was the same driver.

I agree but if you have a partial reg it can remove a lot of similar make and models. If you have enough of it the car can be traced by AGS by entering make, model, col and up pops the list of matching cars. I have only hope to cling to. Some data is there

The nut case driving the car is worth spending some time to bring them to account. It was a crazy pass, driving right up to car ahead and then pulling out blind into my path at 100km plus. 2 second wait and its a safer overtake for me, albeit above speed limit, so still crazy driving heading into a 50km zone. Most cars on that road Mon to Fri are regular users so know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Sharpening isn’t a myth just that the possibilities are dramatically less than what is shown on those cop shows. It is very unlikely to help much.

Do you know if there are any other cameras in the area that might have captured the reg.

I will be asking. Stepaside Garda if they can get footage from filling stations in Enniskerry and in Kilternan - which the vehicle most likely passed. Perhaps even their ststion too. As I was not they may not put much effort into it. That's understandable with their limited resources. It depends on the Garda too.

• Advertisement

Given your use of the words "most likely" means that if you see a matching car, there is doubt as to whether it is THE car! Plus I reckon the garda that you will be talking to will be too busy or disinterested to play detective and won't want to get involved.

Advertisement