Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

I've a friend who thinks nothing of being in a packed pub (maskless throughout) from 7 in the evening to closing time on a Saturday night - but who then deems it prudent to wear his cloth mask while popping into his local centra on the Sunday to grab some milk. He will also use his mask outside when at GAA matches but then discard it altogether to visit the local pub afterwards. I've softly queried him on this a couple of times and his only response was that the mask keeps him safer. Behaviour and a line of thinking that defies any sort of logic whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

It's this attitude that's going to get us into deep trouble with another variant and we're not going to be one bit prepared. You'd think after two years, we would have learnt something but nope, they treated adults like thick and dragged their heels with basic health advice. Give it time, it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Great broadcast in the office today saying that inline with the government announcements, we are no longer required to wear masks while moving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was down in the garage there over lunch to top up the car with diesel before the next hike tonight, and I'd say it was about 50/50 masked and unmasked among both staff and customers (maybe 70/30 on the former)

Bit surprised to be honest but leave them at it if they feel safer. I don't even own a mask anymore myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

What other variant is this, Away With The Faries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Funny he says that, I was told this by 2 large "shipping container business owners"

In 2018, there were containers full of PPE, Hand san units.. Oh and scores of PCR testing units... go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nomoedoe

Life is short man go out and live it don't be worrying about variants ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You can tell him that by wearing it in pharmacies, he's doing the other people in there a small favour by ensuring whatever he may have picked up in the packed pubs has a less chance of being passed on to a vulnerable person collecting their medication. But as we know, people don't care about that so...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Won't someone please think of the pharmacies......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭User1998

Vulnerable people should wear an FFP2 or similar if they don’t want to catch anything. It shouldn’t be left up to everyone else wearing a pointless cloth mask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

It's not a love it's an appreciation, something so simple, so effective at protecting life against something so lethal. It's natural to appreciate things.

Not sure how you could get disturbed by something so simple as non woven polyproplyene and melt blown fibers.

Not sure where you think the masks have gone or why you would feel compelled to suggest I am stuck/stationary and or that I should move.

Covid was never so lethal as was first feared though. It certainly isn't now with the omicron variant.

It's not March 2020 when information was limited and conflicting. We have 2 years of dealing with this virus, almost everyone has been triple vaccinated, and it's now endemic.

Masks (the standard cheap cloth ones anyway) offer limited protection and are more of a placebo as I've said before as evidenced by surging case numbers at various points despite almost universal adherence.

But luckily, any threat from Covid is now even more marginal than it ever was so there really isn't a lethal virus out there

I think I'd definitely throw the FFP2 on when on public transport for my own protection. It's just too squished up and the air circulation's not always optimal.

In a lot of contexts it was somewhat pointless. I mean, when you were in a cafe or whatever, wandering around with a mask on and then taking it off again when you sat down probably didn't make a lot of sense.

I can understand people continuing to wear them in retail and similar contexts, if they feel they're vulnerable - but you do need to wear FFP2 or you're really not going to achieve all that much protection. The cloth or simple surgical mask concept was to protect others from your out breaths, not to act as as personal protective equipment for you.

Once there isn't universal use of cloth masks, if you are vulnerable, you need to be using FFP2 and probably should have been all along. The advice on some of this stuff was quite unscientific and chaotic when there was a high risk earlier in the pandemic with nastier variants and before vaccinations were commonplace.

I think there's definitely a small % of people who genuinely may have been badly shook up by COVID. I was at the beach a few times this week. A really windswept, empty beach and there were several people wearing what looked like FFP2 type masks just out for walks and I did not get the impression they were wearing them to keep their face warm on a windy day either. If they want to wear them all the time, that's entirely their own business but it just seems to be lacking in any logic.

Applying some logic and common sense around risk analysis is important.

So many things wrong with this post that it's hard to know where to start...

Wearing masks all day for some people/kids certainly wasn't simple.

Also, the fact that we had 26000 cases on 1 single day shows they are not at all effective.

COVID was never so lethal. It was always a mild illness. Now it's extremely mild.

Anyways, you are entitled to keep wearing your mask but that's all you get at this point. Be thankful you were given the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Gamergurll

Yes this is in Ireland, its a bit difficult to shop elsewhere unfortunately they are the only local shop.. Just to be clear I have no problem with people continuing to do these things for their own peace of mind but its all a bit ott at this stage.

Getting used to not wearing one feels a bit strange all the same, and for my two younger kids wearing a mask is all the can remember, they've been getting upset without them, it will take a little while to get used to for them 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I think my biggest issue with people still wearing masks is that its indicative of people that just consent to everything they're told, even if it doesn't make any sense. These are the folks that will have us straight back into restrictions in the future because they'd rather do as they're told rather than question anything.

as I've said before as evidenced by surging case numbers at various points despite almost universal adherence.

Wrongly and without foundation not to mention your have constantly failed ability to understand masks and why they have been worn how they have been worn when they have been worn when they have not been worn etc.

But hey keep reblowing your whistle and stressing that youv'e been saying whatever youve been saying all along.

Wasn't a great start.

Just as your entitled to cherry pick all along on boards. Does not show what you claim it does.

The Anti-maskers by and large are emotional decision making/believing people. When confronted with logic it challenges the foundations that support their beliefs and they react emotionally, this thread is a homage to it.

Prove me wrong. Why do you think cases surged to 20k in a day at one point when everyone was wearing masks? - and they were only detected cases, the real number was likely much higher.

It's all very well to keep posting articles about masks and being "smart" with people who challenge you, but you don't seem to be able to actually articulate why you think masks are still required, not just advisable - in your previous posts you suggest there's a lethal virus in Covid but this was never actually the case, and certainly isn't now with Omicron.

Yes we'll still have cases, and yes some will get sick and a very small few will unfortunately die (of course whether that's because of Covid or with it is always a little unclear but a important distinction nonetheless), but your continued call for mandatory masks and enforcement just doesn't tally with where we are with this virus.

But if you can actually explain why you think there's still a significant concern despite this, maybe there's a discussion to be had.

Just living in your imagination and it's fragmented from reality.

The only way we are going back into restrictions, which masks are not is by not wearing masks.

• Advertisement

Requiring people to wear a mask under penalty of fine or imprisonment is a restriction absolutely. Granted it's not as severe as limiting as say the 2km travel limits but to pretend otherwise is a fallacy.

Right now the position on masks is where it should have been for a lot longer than 2 weeks - an advisory measure but up to people to decide based on their own circumstances.

I'm not anti mask, just pro normality. You can wear a mask and it doesn't bother me at all. Even though I know you'd force them upon us all if you had the choice.

You should just be content that you are allowed to wear one.

Lads i have to hand it to you both,you’ve the patience of a saint!,you know it I know it everyone else knows it but your are never going to reason with Seany,this is his hill and he will never ever come down from it, how can you have a debate with someone who watches mask reviews on YouTube and talks about ear attachments to get a better seal on your mask!,but fair play to you both for posting in a respectful manner with him it would be nice to see him offer you both the same level of courtesy.

Imagine a poster who doesn't want to see people get sick. He's such a horrible person indeed. You'd think the three if ye would go out running or something and build up all your energy and go huffing and puffing and go into shopping centers with your covid germs. But instead ye're hiding behind your keyboards. What exactly are ye trying to achieve with what ye do? Telling people it's over but not over for ye when it comes to posting crap online.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Away With The Faries, you need to relax. By all means continue to wear a mask as is your right. Just don't get so bent out of shape if others chose not to do so.

That's an ironic statement considering yourself and others are lashing out at "anti-maskers" and "selfish" people all over this thread because they have decided that the level of risk vs their own circumstances do not warrant them continuing with mask wearing, as they are now perfectly entitled to do.

When challenged on this you give more of the same or complain about being questioned generally.

I'll say it again - wear your mask as often as you like, wherever you like, for as long as you like. No-one will stop you (or particularly cares I'd suggest), however that is the limit of what you can expect from others. That's called freedom of choice and independent decision making - two things that I think are key in our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

If people never got sick we wouldn't have any immune system.

You need to relax man like i said to you yesterday life is short, why you getting so angry about a mask i really can’t wrap my head around this mindset ,like others have said to you and Seany countless times nobody will ever stop you from wearing your mask continue to wear it forever nobody cares.

• Advertisement

Nobody is getting angry or upset. You'd think you'd move on to trolling in the war thread instead?

Advertisement