Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardeners World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Imperial fritillary I think? Thought that was very unusual!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,627 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Imperial fritillary I think? Thought that was very unusual!

That's it! Thank you very much, I'm gonna try get some of them, they look great.

I see Monty is moving his alliums this week (what I wouldn’t do for his display!), I was chewing over whether I should move some in my own garden, I planted some last year in the main border and had some to spare which I did the ‘throw and grow’ method for a bit of interest. Low and behold the main border has gaps and the ‘throw and grow’ came through! The gaps are getting the better of me and I wasn’t sure about moving the spares but if Monty can do it I’ll give it a go too :pac::pac:

Looking forward to seeing what Adam has done to his garden tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Looking forward to seeing what Adam has done to his garden tonight!

I really like Adams style of gardening, I like when he presents.

• Advertisement

As loyal as I am to Monty, I actually loved Adam’s ideas last year.

Loved Arit’s feature tonight about peat bogs. Never knew that they held twice the amount of carbon as the world’s forests. The bogs have decreased by 94% in the last 2 centuries in the UK :eek: No wonder Monty has always emphasized ‘peat free’ compost!

Sent the OH out for compost the last day and he landed back with ’Bord na Mona’ compost. Looking at the bags very guiltily now!

The conservation of bogs here in Ireland is so controversial! Cutting turf runs in our veins, here in the NW anyways :pac: ! My father worked in a peat burning station.... I burn it myself, although through gritted teeth. As I place the sods in the hearth I think about my sons and their future. I’d love to be able to afford an alternative...! Not many here in the NW agree with stopping the turf harvest and I do understand that point of view but personally I wish we could move forward!

Anyways back to the gardening! Why hasn’t peat compost been banned yet?

Edit: peatlands cover less than 3% of the world’s surface, they contain 30% of the carbon in our soil worldwide. Damaged peatland release an awful lot of their stored carbon back into the atmosphere. Peatlands are well worth saving I think!

Ahh now cuteness overload!! :pac::pac: definitely the favorite moment tonight!

553080.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Loved Arit’s feature tonight about peat bogs. Never knew that they held twice the amount of carbon as the world’s forests. The bogs have decreased by 94% in the last 2 centuries in the UK :eek: No wonder Monty has always emphasized ‘peat free’ compost!

Sent the OH out for compost the last day and he landed back with ’Bord na Mona’ compost. Looking at the bags very guiltily now!

The conservation of bogs here in Ireland is so controversial! Cutting turf runs in our veins, here in the NW anyways :pac: ! My father worked in a peat burning station.... I burn it myself, although through gritted teeth. As I place the sods in the hearth I think about my sons and their future. I’d love to be able to afford an alternative...! Not many here in the NW agree with stopping the turf harvest and I do understand that point of view but personally I wish we could move forward!

Anyways back to the gardening! Why hasn’t peat compost been banned yet?

Edit: peatlands cover less than 3% of the world’s surface, they contain 30% of the carbon in our soil worldwide. Damaged peatland release an awful lot of their stored carbon back into the atmosphere. Peatlands are well worth saving I think!

Lidls had a 'low peat compost when I was in there on Thursday, I think the message is starting to get through.

Just catching up on tonight’s episode. Splitting my sides laughing at comedian Susan Calman’s comment that having Adam Frost’s number is like having the number for Beyoncé :pac::pac::pac: I’m with you there Susan!

Loved Nick’s section on his wildlife pond. I was struggling for suggestions for the outer edges of my own pond, he’s planted Liguria dentata Leopard plant and driopteris Felix mas, must give that a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Little Flick

I've just done my "Job for the week" by watching last night's show. I think of GW as my feelgood hour of television. It's great to have a TV show that the whole family can watch together ... the oohs and aahs when the pets appear. Strawberry kids were fierce cute too. Hope they have Susan on again. Nice chemistry between herself and Adam. I wouldn't mind having a direct line to Adam or Monty also!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

Monty is a great fan of using fermented Comfrey as a fertiliser for potassium and phosphorus.

These minerals don't come from the atmosphere. The Comfrey draws them out of the soil.

So all he is doing is transferring K and P from one location to another.

Nitrogen is another matter. Some plants can take it from the atmosphere (legumes).

Strawberry kids were fierce cute too

I thought they were brilliant Garden Rescue’s The Rich brothers have some stiff competition!:pac::pac:

I’m thinking of maybe trying agapanthus again in my boarder (never flowered first time) after I saw Monty putting them in the ground as an experiment. He always believed that they do best in pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

blackbox wrote: »
    Monty is a great fan of using fermented Comfrey as a fertiliser for potassium and phosphorus.

These minerals don't come from the atmosphere. The Comfrey draws them out of the soil.

Nitrogen is another matter. Some plants can take it from the atmosphere (legumes).

Comfrey roots supposedly can grow 2m deep there aren’t nt many other plants that can access those minerals down there so probably not that much of an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PeadarOBriain

blackbox wrote: »

Do you know what kind of NPK you get from fermented Comfrey ?

GW a little later tonight @9:30 due to Wimbledon, for a while I thought it wasn’t on!

It’s switched to bbc4 now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

What a pain, only realised when I waited for the end of blooming Wimbledon that it had switched. Watching Adam frost make a window box… hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Do you know what kind of NPK you get from fermented Comfrey ?

A bit late replying but came across it yesterday. N3:P0:K10

Fascinating episode tonight on GW with the focus solely on trees. Tony Kirkham was very interesting talking about how trees communicate through the ‘wood, wide, web’. Essentially they’re able to communicate with their neighbours, fungi and insects through their roots, pheromones or electric pulses. Pines can send pheromones out to ladybirds when under attack from aphids, oaks tells their neighbours to make their leaves bitter when under attack from moths.

Al Gore making a guest appearance.

One of my favourites this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Was really looking forward to tonight's episode but found it frustrating. The only emphasis tonight was size of garden, only once was it mentioned about type of soil. The dwarf pine will grow anywhere but in heavy clay. We happen to have a very large garden which is heavy clay and we only know too well that you have to work with what you have, we learnt the hard way losing shrubs and trees though drowning over the first winter. Type of soil is more important than size of garden yet is often passed over in garden shows.

I share the same conditions, when I dig down a foot we hit heavy blue clay, pottery quality, in our front garden. We successfully grow lots of hazel, beech, holly, willow and some cherries and 2 birch and ornamental weepers. Not an exciting list but they’ve work for us. I hope that might be some help? We put serious effort into drainage beforehand and kept on top of weeds with a barrier and 1/3 pruning back in winter for 3 years until they got a good hold.

Clay can be conquered or ‘worked with’ depending on your stance😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

We have lots of downy and silver birch along the boundary 10ft apart in a hedgerow of whitethorn, field maple, holly and sporadic honesuckle. The back boundary is Sally's which we cut back hard every winter.

4 Himalayon birches, a weeping birch, couple of Malus and cherries. Alamanchier , Tulip tree, Liquidamber. A couple of Acers, and Spindle trees all doing well, some bettet than others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i see monty don has been causing some debate on instagram and twitter again calling on gardeners to not use peat at all.

he doubled down too with a follow up, referring to people who were claiming their plants were not doing as well without peat, with a 'well, so be it' response. fair play.

Something else to keep us entertained over the next few dark winter weeks Monty has announced a few winter special episodes of Gardener’s World starting next Friday. Yippee!!

Month’s back on Friday with another few programmes ‘Monty’s Adriatic Gardens’ 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,627 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

We're back in business on Friday, have I got that right?

Could really do with some Gardener's World right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Two more sleeps :p

Badly needed indeed, the world is on the edge, Monty could teach us all a thing or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I saw Adam Frost in person a couple of years ago, he wasn't relaxed at all. I know someone who went to see Monty live, said he wasn't at ease answering questions. I could listen to his voice all day.

The way he interacts with his dogs is wonderful, and he makes even the most mundane gardening task interesting, even though he's done them all hundreds of times before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I would say by design the average gardener is an introvert. Getting lost for hours when you go to do the simplest quick fix. I can't imagine how they would find word to explain how they see the process in their minds.

As you say though they do make the most methodical activity seem interesting, and how well they show how everything small contributes to the bigger picture as the year unfolds.

Advertisement