Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 2) Carton House Montgomerie Golf Course (12th March 1130 hrs.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Lads (&Ladies) there is some rain falling around the country - how good is the drainage on the Monyty?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The darkness that is Covid has descended into the house, whilst I'm negative at present I am not comfortable golfing Saturday with the potential to spread so I've pulled out of the outing. Play well all and I hope ye get the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Snackbox20

Will I need the neon golf balls on Saturday?

This was work car park today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭swededmonkey

Quite a few were marked GUR last weekend. Not sure if that was due to the frost delay earlier that morning or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Forecast indicates there's wind and mostly dry conditions tomorrow, Friday and dry Saturday + less wind. I don't know carton well, but we should be getting the course in great conditions on the day. Of the two courses on site monty drains better than o'meara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Just club up or down accordingly to account for climate change 💀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'll admit , if bunkers are closed , it wouldn't be great, considering it is the primary course design.

But the fairways will hold up well there.

Considering the rain today - I'd imagine we will have in place , lift and clean and place or replace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Mr lucky Links just doesn’t get what the rest of us suffer for half a year!

there is no need to guess or speculate, it’s placing everywhere (except bunkers) from about mid October to end of March

• Advertisement

I went there so it was dry , If I had it my way, there would be no touching of a ball ever, in any conditions.

But I have to accept the outcome here.

Placing is a local rule and determined by course conditions. It is not speculation , I was going to call club on Thursday/Friday and find out course status. Irrespective of that - I accept it is a society and you tend to go on the side of a better outcome for members.

I'll update exact rule of Friday.

Sure we all know if you had your way there would be no such thing as handicaps 🤣

yep, local rule, but every parkland in ireland operates it over winter months. You really don’t know how lucky you are getting to play qualifying all year long on links 😇

Weather looking good -

All we will give back a line to club tomorrow afternoon.

Last call for members or visitors before we do that.

It isn't a parkland - why we are there. We are not all as odd as you in two clubs,. 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭a post punk

A good night to not go to the range and enjoy the central heating 👀👀cold weather practice can also be useful :)

Lads - anyone work out how to stop images going sideway yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭bobster453

If lift cleasn and place are in operation am I correct in saying we can't put s c ores through golf ireland app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Today

The snow it fell upon the ground,

stopped me from playing a full round.

My legs were freezing, my teeth( such as I have) were achatter

when I struck the ball I felt my hands would shatter.

My head went blue, my nose turned red,

I guess I should have stayed in bed.

My feet were encased in two blocks of ice,

You better believe it wasn't nice.

"You were mad going out in that" I hear you say,

But in a very short time it will be Monty day.

And I need to practice as much as I can,

I'm determined not to be an also ran.

"Will it make much difference?" you might well ask,

Most likely not, but I'll stick to the task,

And struggle on through the snow and the rain,

For if you venture nothing, there's nothing to gain.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS GALLANT SOLDIERS

@bobster453

Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Monty Mori

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭spuddy4711

Is it against Boards Society rules to log scores on the Golf Ireland app if there’s placing on fairway/ rough.?

The app will allow it, the Society won’t, am I correct please ?

You're correct that the app allows it, but pretty sure that if the course don't deem it qualifying conditions it won't be pulled into your records

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭spuddy4711

Yes, I’ve seen “No qualifying competition “ pop up when I tried downloading a scorecard in the past. But there appears to be no such restriction on the Montgomery course, it seems to allow scorecards be downloaded. I didn’t actually complete the download as the system expects a completed card, approved by a marker. Failure to complete a downloaded card results in having to explain why not. If the course allows downloads, its probably not possible for them to prevent the players dashboard being updated. I could be way wrong.

We should probably wait until we know conditions for sure than surmising🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭blue note

I remember prawnsambo talking about this - I think a club can take down their course from golf ireland to stop people submitting scores. Or they can be rejected after being submitted if qualifying conditions were not in play that day.

But if there's placing in the rough, you should know yourself that you can't submit a score. It's not a bad idea in winter to ask in the proshop before going out to see if you can submit one.

My visitors have actually cancelled this weekend, but having played 3 weeks in a row including an overnight last weekend I thought better than to even suggest playing. I'm pretty sure we'll be going to look at cars and couches instead - things that have been pushed out for over a year now. I'll have to unfollow this thread. I don't know if I'll want to hear about craic when I'm trying to feign interest in what shade of beige our couch should be.

All - as the timesheet was not full and we we had some remaining slots - we had to alter tee times slightly , see email from ClubNet / timesheet on app.

The course is very busy and all slots are now full - so if you are late you will not be able to get out at all.

Looking forward to seeing everyone - I'll post exact rules on course conditions tomorrow after I talk to the pro at Carton House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Any recommendations for breakfast . The local honey honey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭willabur

tell me about honey honey, did the breakfast brioche live up to the promise?

Advertisement