Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ha, a big chunk of my time last night was spent trying to beat Crucible Knight. After a while I could do first half easy enough, few parrys would do the job. Second half he'd always wreck me though. Stomps out of nowhere. One glorious try though, every dodge just worked, every unsheathe hit the mark, and the f*cker went down.

I've got that one too, only started using it last night. The special attack on it is incredible.

Spent a bit of time last night mopping up unfinished things in Limgrave and Liurnia. Found out how to attach great runes, found another dungeon or two, defeated some minibosses around Liurnia as I'd mostly rushed the flooded plains area first time. Think I'm ready for the next area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Yes it is absolutely amazing. It just keeps going lol. The biggest quality of life change to me is the map + fast travel, I can visualise the locations and that helps me alot on remembering where to go / where are the locations / immersing to the world - and also saved me so much time. Basically openworld/freedom to do anything + game well made (contentsssss and detailsss) = bomb. Ye I dont know if From can go back to non open world now lol.

I made it +10😂 a few bosses actually taken down by itself and somehow it is justified because it is just another me right?!

I was using Leyndell soldiers (+10) for tanking (mainly bosses) and Bloodhound knight for fighting (dungeon/field bosses) but ya they became useless entering late game so I had no choice but to try out Mimic and ye never going back now ha. The ashes are awesome and a much welcome addition mechanic ha.

Haven't found the Mimic's Tear yet, but having heard of it, I'm saving all my upgrade material for it.

I've mostly been using the Lone Wolves+4 for multiple enemies, and Banished Knight Oleg+3 for larger bosses, as he's an absolute tank with great damage. Was finding with the wolves and other soldiers that AOE attacks from large enemies were taking them down too quickly.

Ye the upgrade material is quite expensive/rare, save them. I didnt bother to upgrade the early game spirits and ye they just get killed so fast (not much useful during boss fights). Probably some of them are good to late game but i can't afford to experiment lol. And ya there are so many cool spirits (Minotaur i quite like it but I won't upgrade him ha). You will find Mimic later in the game - I don't think it is accessible until you beat one of the lords (the most dramatic one aha, you will know). In 'normal' playthrough I presume you could get 3 spirits to +10.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So far upgraded wolves have definitely been a good solid choice - they're aggressive and the fact that there's three of 'em can keep the battlefield busy for quite some time. Have to start upgrading one or two of the solo options though, although those upgrade flowers are fairly precious commodities (ditto smithing stones - have found remarkably few [1] / [2]s to experiment with weapons!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cleared out weeping peninsula last night. Might be time to move on to storm veil. Trying to get my faith up to 28 so I can start flinging lightning bolts around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Missed Weeping peninsula as got killed straight away the first time I found the bridge and forgot to return. But have gone back to it as couldn't make much headway in Stormveil

Does the upgrade material respawn in tunnels/catacombs? I feel like I've definitely picked up some respawned flowers /stones etc after deaths in those areas.

I do notice the points as you said there, but i think overall it is by design that exploration gives you reward(sss) in ER. I totally didnt expect to get 100+ levels so fast and this has to be the fastest leveling compared to any previous souls game. I did the my staple hp+str build with greatsword (first greatsword i got from Caelid, the Berserk dragon sword) + shield (jellyfish shield is not even a top tier shield ha) and I ran through everything (until near the end as I haven't finished) as standard as i could as i did in previous souls game. With tonnes of sidetracking myself to rando places/dungeon after hours and then back to main story line ha.

I mentioned in my early post on ER that for example there is a big gap between Margit and Godrick - as I get to Godrick relatively fast after Margit and I get stomped and I knew I was severely underleveled. So at that moment I do realize oh it must be designed with the open world in mind - those love some hardcore challenge can still try to beat the boss the way like no damage taken and grinding the boss's hp in 10mins, while keep in mind that the players could off track to do any other things (or fighting other bosses) - so Godrick's (high) levels requirement makes sense to me.

The entire game is designed that anyone can do anything / fight any boss in any time point (within reasonable levels/game play hours lol, I saw a tweet that some lad got to Lvl70/80 and then go fight Margit lmao). Can't say I am an expert of design of open world game but I am surely damn impressed by From to design such interesting world ties in with their usual difficulties trademark ha.

But ya I have other complaints when it enters late game where no more new design of enemies (just reskin), but then ER has the most diverse and highest enemies pool also...always room to improve I guess. And then ya when greatsword +20 and near 50 vigor are not enough at that end game area...

• Advertisement

Stones/Ghost/Grave flowers dont respwan aye. But I think I remember some of them left a trace after I picked them up (the leftover plant thingy looks different than usual) - maybe they do respawn after certain amount of time.

For lower levels upgrades (less than 7?), the materials are plenty - and then the higher level stones/grave/ghost flowers they come rare, ya need to use them carefully ha.

Ah ok. Maybe there's just lesser upgrade materials that were respawning (cave moss, crystals etc). In those areas I just try collect everything I can regardless.

If i replay I will strongly recommend to explore as much of south as possible first, the enemies there are more manageable overall than the monstrous up north or east jesus christ ha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A speedrunner just beat the game in 2.5 hours.

So the question is what's all your excuses?

I have a life.

I mean.... not a great one.... but it's there....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

after 2.5 hours I was still trying to find my way out of the introduction cave

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

2.5 hours is nowhere near enough to experience all the highs and lows (and loooooowwwwwssss) of the game.

Had a bit of a weird experience loading this game last night. I've an ultra wide monitor and this game supposedly doesn't support ultrawide.

However when I was loading the black bars on the side of the loading screen disappeared and I could see the game being loaded in chunks behind it. When the game did load it was in glorious 21:9 and looked incredible. Thought, oh they must have patched that in. Then 3 minutes into the game the black bars appeared again.

So the game can do 21:9 but it's just stupidly disabled and it looks like the game is rendering behind the black bars if you pick an ultra wide resolution.

Edit: Yep I'm not nuts:

Exactly what happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

Stones can eventually be bought from Roundtable Hold once you find certain items and give them to the merchant there(not sure up to what level but certainly 1-5), so you’ll never run out of them - so feel free to upgrade whatever you have to see if you like it!

Yeah I saw a clip from someone else's stream too that the flowers for upgrading ashes can be bought too. I think I did get the item so they sell stones 1-2, must keep an eye out for the others.

• Advertisement

Yes I forget they can be bought at merchants also (after you opened some areas), but costly yes, I think they are sold up to certain levels (and with limited amount) not fully sure as i never buy them.

And ye apparently you can kill all merchants - grab their drops and give it to the bell merchant at roundtable so then they will sell the killed merchants items ha. But beware, some merchant may have something to do some side quest...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Chapters 5 & 6 of the below Vaati video explains how to get the

Bell Bearing

items that are need to unlock Smithing Stones from the vendor in RoundTable Hold. The first item unlocks smithing stones tier 1 & 2 which can get your weapon to +6 and the second unlocks tier 3 & 4 which can get your weapon to +12.

Not sure I'd be following all of his advice though on a first play through - seems to be more of an interesting exercise than a recommended path.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

And ye apparently you can kill all merchants 

That's on my to do list before NG+, same as other souls games. 😁

i actually never kill npc unless they give me truly good stuff (they are the few people actually says hi and thank you - not jumping to kill me instantly in all souls game lol...). But ya this time around it would be good to have all merchants' items at one place, so thats so tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Stormveil Castle is huge, I'm after finding so many nooks and crannies, shortcuts and secret areas but I've no idea where the main path is, i keep looping around. Not a bad thing as I'm at finding a rake of treasure but think i need to beeline it. Some seriously tough enemies.

I'm currently 20 vigor, and both Str and Dex at 17. I'm really struggling to decide on a Str or Dex build. I'm not impressed with the shields so far, i really want a greatshield (so leaning towards Str) but even a lot of medium shields i pick up agent 100% physical defense. Hoping to find an absolute beast of a great shield soon, even if it means unequipping all other armour.

From the part's I've explored so far - a beeline in Stormveil would be to take the main entrance and head straight up and around to the right - but that would be suicide. I ended up at the very top then made my way out onto rooftops and around ledges and back down again - sneaking about until I found a site of grace near to the main courtyard area. Not far from that, past a few annoying birds and a giant dude is a boss - maybe the main one? Not sure as that is my next target.

Curious why you're not happy with the 100% medium shields? Have found 4 of them so far and find them very useful - saved my ass many a time. Currently using the Blue-Gold Kite shield and have the No Skill ash of war on it so I can use Unsheathe while 1-handing the katana.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Haven't found any 100% medium shields yet, think my best one is around 80%. Would very much like one, but will wait to find it naturally.

Do the boss souls (or whatever they are called) have any uses outside of converting them to weapons?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Oh i love the 100% medium shields, found 2 in Limgrave and Weeping Peninsula, I don't like how rare they are though. Last 3 shields i found weren't 100% so useless to me. Anything less than 100 and i might as well be roll dodging attacks instead.

Yeah if I find a new shield that's not 100% or is but is hasn't as good stats or is too heavy then straight into the chest it goes. Pretty sure my first 100% was the Brass shield which dropped from a mob in that first camp you come across - although I had to lvl my Str to hold it back then.

• Advertisement

Has anybody found a fake wall yet btw?

Advertisement