Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charges for dropoff and collect to be imposed in Dublin airport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

There's talk of a rail link now from Clongriffin to the Airport. Would help a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The ability to drop at the door. They don't have to let private vehicles anywhere onto their campus. They could force all private vehicles to drop passengers at the red car park to take a bus if they wanted.

And charging for stopping outside schools sounds like a great idea. Much needed cash injection taken from the most selfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

None of that is DAA's problem though. If you want that to change you need to tell your local councillors and TDs how much you want and support public transport initiatives like BusConnects. And when your busybody neighbours start banging on moaning about bus corridors and cycle lanes you tell them to cop the fvck on and accept that public transport has to have top priority on the roads if we want a functional system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Absolute nonsense. If there was a rail link to the airport, people would be more inclined to organise a pick up or drop off somewhere that suits the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

service

/ˈsəːvɪs/

1. the action of helping or doing work for someone. e.g. "millions are involved in voluntary service"

2. a system supplying/serving a public need such as transport, communications, or utilities such as electricity and water. e.g. "a regular bus service"

What "service" is being provided? As per the definition of a service??

As always in this country, keep punishing motorists while ignoring the reasons why there are so many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

The problem is when people pull up to collect people outside the terminal. It can cause problems when things are busy.

I've been quite clear, Cathy Newman. I am a regular bus passenger. I do not pay any extra fees for a bus that goes through the airport that I do on one that doesn't go through the airport. I get the 33A daily, every second one goes through the airport. There is no price difference for either service. Same with the 41, the 16, the 102. So no, there is no extra fee. Is that clear enough to stop you putting words into my mouth??

And now you claim DAA are lying on their website?? "DAA is a global airports and travel retail group with businesses in 16 countries. We are owned by the Irish State and headquartered at Dublin Airport." - https://www.daa.ie/our-company/company-profile/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If there's no service being provided, you'll have no problem when access is restricted and charges are imposed then.

• Advertisement

You can shut your gate, and charge them money to come onto your driveway if you like.

DAA is indeed owned by the Irish state. DAA is NOT the Irish state. The roads round the airport is not owned by the Irish people. If it was, I could park my car there for free. In fact, I could move into the airport itself and live there for free. It is a ridiculous proposition.

They're you're words, that motorists shouldn't pay a fee for using the same service as others. Time to pay up or move to the off-site location.

While something needs to be done about people abusing the system, this is just a cash-grab masquerading as an improvement in public service. It's really not. It's a lazy way out and a bit of a money-spinner. Punishing those who've followed the rules because you're too lazy to identify the rule-breakers and charge them for it.

I wouldn't mind, it's relatively easy to do what they're trying to do, and enforce it, and would be self-sustaining in terms of finances if only they weren't so blatantly lazy. The old fashioned way would be to employ someone to keep tabs on the spaces and make sure people aren't taking the piss.

Option 1:

When you arrive at departures, you pass through a barrier and get a ticket from a machine, same as any old carpark. In order to leave departures, you put that ticket into another machine and pay whatever the charge is. then just punitively charge those who take forever. Up to 10 mins = free. 10-15 mins = €2, 15-20 mins = €10, 20-25 mins = €20 etc. Fully automated and needs minimal policing by airport staff.

Option 2:

You can only gain entry to the drop off area if you have a ticket or boarding pass for a flight within the next X number of hours. Anyone showing up without either gets a €xx fine. Would be a lot harder to patrol, especially on busier days/times.

Option one seems fair. Wouldn't have the pricing structure being that harsh though

Who do you think should pay for the machines, the infrastructure, the cost of managing the funds etc?

The money will be recouped from any fees collected obviously. The initial outlay should be paid by the DAA

What do you think the state is? Do kids not do civics any more?? The Irish Constitution says that all of the power of the State comes from the Irish people. We are the state. Direct quote from the constitution "All powers of government, legislative, executive and judicial, derive, under God, from the people".

I'd expect a first year to know this. The state also owns Dail Eireann, Aras an Uachtarain can you park your car there or move into them? The ignorance of the basics is astounding.

And again with the lies, I've never said motorists shouldn't pay a fee for using the same service as others. I gave examples of other services that DIDN'T pay a fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

This is a DAA pension plan cash grab

Went through departures monday night - absolute circus because they cannot be bothered staffing the belts even though they get a huge fee per passenger for doing so which goes straight to the pension plan funding for directors .

off topic ? Not really.

What alternatives are there other than driving ? Metro ? decent bus service ? lol .

If folks had said "no problem, put in metro north then we can put charges for dropping off" and stick in a park and ride . but no we get this absolute cash grab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Surprised it’s been free as long as it has been. As usual it’s motorists that are ruining it for other motorists by abusing the trust system.

Its only a few euros, a tiny amount in the overall cost of car ownership so not sure why people are losing their $hit over this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I could shut my gate and charge people, doesn’t mean I will. The attitude of ,just because we can we will, needs to stop.

as stated previously I travel regularly for work and never encountered any issues with drop offs due to cars pulling in/waiting on the side of the road.

how many times have you had to circle the airport roads due to people “abusing” the current system? The answer is none, no taxi or car has ever had an issue pulling in to the drop off zone.

it’s money grabbing from the DAA, plain and simple.

DAA is listed as a 'related party transaction' for Dublin Bus. I haven't seen any reports of changes to this.

I just love how you quote the Constitution, then throw in your own personal claim in the middle there ('We are the State') and hope that no-one will notice the difference.

You seem to be struggling with basics of law. DAA is owned by the State. DAA is NOT the State. To make is simple, my house is owned by meself and herself. My house is NOT meself and herself.

The fact that DAA own the airport does not give you or me or anyone in the State any rights to access DAA property. It is a nonsense suggestion.

All bus companies pay DAA to access the airport. Time for motorists to start stumping up too.

What exactly is meant by 'pension plan funding for directors' please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I suppose it's another small charge, in a long line of small charges for something that should be free.

I don't get why only motorists should be annoyed by this, it affects everyone who uses the airport. I'd like to see a breakdown of how people get to Dublin airport as I imagine the vast majority do so by private car or taxi.

A quick Google shows that all busses to airport operate on two or three predefined routes, all through the city centre. To get from Blanchardstown to the airport on public transport (a 10-15 min drive) brings you into the city centre, with bags, kids, buggies etc.

As usual, instead of building an adequate system, then disincentivising alternatives, DAA is taking the typical Irish approach of making life difficult for ordinary people and hoping private operators fix the problems you created.

How big of an issue is congestion at drop-off areas? Has anyone been injured? Have many motorists complained? Are people by and large inconvenienced?

Nope.

It's just a very Irish solution to a non-existent problem.

• Advertisement

I agree.

I'm not a motorist. Never have been. I think its a **** and unnecessary charge that reeks of greed and opportunism.

It's also reassuring to see certain posters delight in the charge. When we are in disagreement, I can usually be sure that I'm correct.

"All bus companies pay DAA to access the airport. Time for motorists to start stumping up too."

Sorry, I never realised that private motorists dropping friends and family off to the airport were profit-making enterprises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd be interested in developing ideas based on Option 1.

It seems to provide traffic regulation and offers a cost free option to drivers who are not part of the problem.

I have seen similar set ups in the UK and other destinations within walking distance of the terminals.

Bingo. The DAA would be responsible, exactly as they'll be responsible for whatever system they introduce when they begin charging for everyone. They are going to incur costs no matter what solution they settle on, no idea why you're feigning indignation on their behalf. Who the hell else is going to pay for infrastructure on their property?

As mentioned in my previous post, the fees incurred will be recouped in pretty much no time, I'm sure.

Of course, I've pulled those figures out of thin air to illustrate the sliding scale which should be put in place, IMO. However, there's no way dropping someone off should take more than 10 mins at most, never mind 20 mins. Anyone taking that long is extracting the proverbial, and should pay for extended occupation of the drop off spots.

I agree. Just would change around a few of the tiers to allow for the possibility of someone with disability or whatnot. But yeah, it's mostly on the money (pun not intended)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Absolutely agree with this.

The people clogging up the drop off area are not those dropping off - why would you hang around if your passenger is gone off to get their flight??

It's people stalling, waiting to pick up passengers, which is not permitted in the departure drop off are - and a reasonably timed ticketing system would catch a lot of those.

Whether DAA should/ could/ would provide another area for people to wait and pick up arrivals is a different question.

Yeah, obviously you'd need to cater for the needs of anyone who may require a bit more wiggle-room.....mini-buses, blue badge holders etc. For 90% of pax, though, it targets the troublemakers instead of penalising everyone to the same degree. Like when you're a kid and your brother gets in trouble, so nobody is allowed play the Playstation because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Agree with the above - this has been implemented due to people waiting in the drop-off only area to pick people up. I recall a few years back seeing a constant stream of cars in the drop-off only area waiting, a Garda car was doing constant loops around flashing folks away, by the time the Garda car did a loop back round more cars where there waiting for people. Was quite comical to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Typical AJR deflection,

Do YOU beleive that if DAA should charge for providing a drop off pick up area then DAA should charge cyclists for locking posts, at a rate that covers their costs of admin and provision, or as usual you're just on one of your motorimg vindictives

• Advertisement

What has 'profit making' got to do with anything? Bus and taxi companies pay charges to access the airport, and pass on those charges to their customers. Why should private motorists be left off the hook for accessing similar services?

It doesn't affect 'everyone' who uses the airport. It doesn't affect taxi or bus customers who already pay additional charges through their fares.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

In the past I've used quick park going on holiday, that's gone now cause of a court case. I just priced to park in the airport and fook me the prices are absolutely scandalous. I'll be getting someone to drop and collect us that's for sure. I'd rather pay €2 drop off fee than the current parking costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I don't charge any extra for dropping off at the airport, it's the same rate if I drop off a passenger at a hospital, hotel, pub, office etc.

Taxi's are charged for using the ranks at T1 and T2, but then they are working a captive audience as other taxis aren't allowed access (ANPR sytem in use ) but they aren't allowed to charge the customer any extra

I would agree with this in theory, but the way they are handling it has been bungled in the extreme. To even mention sustainability, as an airport, is just laugahble.

Unfortunately, without adequate alternatives, this can't look like anything other than a money grab. People mention other cities airports (Stansted etc - which has wonderful PT links). Dublin just doesn't. Unless you live in the city centre, Swords, Portmarnock, Malahide, Santry, Beaumont, or on the aircoach southern routes, your public transport options are long, winding and infrequent. Even some of the places above I'm including as adequate are relying on either the 16 or the 102 which can't be relied on at all times of every day.

If the DAA were to be progressive and be pushing a useful park and ride, or park and walk option, again it would be a positive. But it's just communicated as a penalty charge really. Drivers don't have a god given right to be able to drive from door to door, absolutely. But the alternatives just aren't there, unless you are living in the perfect location.

To pick a few random locations around Dublin on google maps- (1) Ballymun to Airport - 12 mins by car - over double (27mins) by P.T and that's using a hotel's bus! (2) Phibsboro to Airport - 19 mins by car, 56 (!!) by public transport. (3) Clare Hall to Airport - 11 mins drive, 50 mins public transport. (4) Blanch to airport - 13 mins by car, 1hr 10 by public transport

These are 4 places quite close to the airport on the northside. Triple the time (if you're lucky) by public transport just isn't the answer, whatever anyone tries to say. Now it's not only the DAA's fault here, but PT to the airport just isn't an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the ‘obvious’ difference is that a private citizen is not providing a commercial service. I go pick up my cousin it’s a not for profit gig.

busses and taxis are for profit, they profit every time they enter the airport, if dropping or collecting.

buses and taxis rely also on a variety of staff and infrastructure at the airport….

private cars and citizens do not.

if I get collected from the gym tomorrow would it be seen as right-minded that a fella comes out of a hut and tells my cousin that it will be two euros to set down and wait in the set down area… ? NO it wouldn’t.

DAA is owned by the Irish state, the Irish people, it should refrain from gouging Irish people and indeed others who are doing no more then try to collect a person after a journey….

If busses pass the charge off to their customers, how come the people who use the busses who DONT use the airport are paying the same price as those who are?

Does that not fly in the face of your argument that only people who use the "facilities" should pay for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Whilst Stanstead is better served than Dublin by public transport, I think people get carried away with the idea that airports in other countries have some wonderful transport system which means that driving needn't be an option. Generally our use as tourists is limited to getting from the airport to a hotel in the metropolis, which isn't really a valid comparison to getting from our suburban home to the airport.

Looking on google maps at Stanstead over lunch (and I'm the first to admit this is a sad way to spend 30 minutes) I randomly picked some towns of 3K, 4K people that would be within it's catchment area (say 10 miles). Unless you happen to be slap-bang on a direct train route, then the PT option is usually coming in at about 2.5x/3x the driving time, often with a need to change bus or train along the way. Some of the google suggestions even involve firstly heading into London. All very similar conceptually to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Paddigol

We have third world standard airport connectivity. Anyone arguing otherwise can't expect to be taken seriously. It's laughable to see this turned into an a motorist -v- anti-motorist issue. It's equally laughable to see DAA suggest that if people don't want to pay they should take public transport. Sure why don't we all strap our cases to our backs and walk there... we'll arrive eventually. Talk about finding the most regressive way to attempt progression. The usual Irish way though, with limited exceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

DAA have allowed this to happen by not providing any infrastructure for the collection of arriving passengers, beyond its extortionate short term car park. Indeed, if every collected arrival was taking a space in short term there wouldn't be enough capacity.

DAA thinks clearly that once you are out the door and not a revenue opportunity any more they don't have to provide infrastructure.

• Advertisement

Exactly.

Anyone saying this charge is a good thing that will either reduce congestion, increase "sustainability" (whatever that means in the context of an airport) or encourage use of PT is deluded.

It's a cash grab. It'll likely take as much to implement and enforce as it will make, and the public will get zero additional benefits for paying for the privilege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

As far as I can tell, the Aircoach 706 service costs 18 euro return from O'Connell Street, whereas a return starting at the airport is 20 euro. Not sure about other providers/services, but this seems to imply that passengers *not* using the airport are not charged the extra fee.

Again, as a regular traveller, weekly trips to the airport, I’m failing to see what the issue here is. Yes cars pull into the drop off zone At terminal 1 departures, but what’s the issue? Never have I had a problem getting dropped off by a car/taxi…

DAA are making an issue out if nothing to cover for the fact that they want to charge people to get out of a car in front of there building.

I can guarantee no one has ever had an issue with being dropped off because there is a line of cars pulled into the side of the road.

The rare exception of the 33A isn't quite the Gotcha that you seem to think it is. Dublin Bus charges are regulated, so they're not in a position to apply extra charges to specific passengers. So the additional cost of airport access is spread across all passengers ultimately.

Seems like a fairly sound commercial decision to recognise that arriving passengers are not a revenue opportunity. Who goes shopping on their way home, except that time that you forgot to buy something for the other half and found some Butlers chocs instead? They're not going to get much out of arriving passengers, so why not expect the person picking them up to contribute to the cost of road infrastructure?

So if PT doesn't work, you can still drive. You can still drop off for free at the red car park. If you want to drop to the door, you pay a small fee, tiny in the context of the overall spend on the trip, to cover the costs of the infrastructure that you use.

I've answered your question twice already. Will it help put things to bed if I give you the same answer a third time?

What does it matter if you're not-for-profit or not? You're still using infrastructure. You're still taking up space.

And maybe it is for profit. Maybe the cousin will buy you a pint or brought you some duty free? Who knows? Who cares, really. If you're going to use the infrastructure, you pay for it. If you don't want to me, meet your cousin at the red car park. it's no skin off your nose.

There are a bunch of posts on the thread including this one from people noting difficulties at the drop off zone.

On your ‘taking up space’ argument…

should people be charged to access the arrivals hall, wait for a loved one, they too are ‘taking up space’..

The 16 and the 41 also go into the airport. Not a rare exception at all. You can just admit that bus passengers aren't charged extra for access to the airport.

• Advertisement

Seems every barrier restricted area I've ever used has allowed the motorist to pull a ticket to raise the barrier and if they exit within a minute or two no charge is levied with the same ticket being accepted at the barrier for exit without having to be verifed at a payment terminal.

Some of the tickets were paper, some plastic but all operate on the same principle.

I even shop in a supermarket with an underground parking garage and the checkout operator will validate the ticket when paying for shopping so that there is no charge for use of the barrier restricted parking area.

DAA decided these well proven systems of barriers with tickets to avoid abuse of scarce resources don't suit them and instead decided to rebuild the red car park and lose long term parking. Altering the red car park will not be cheap. The amount of profit they can extort from this must be huge.

This is a means of extorting money from the Public and the Public through Government own the DAA.

The DAA didn't try the well proven and relatively low cost barrier system solution first to see if it is sufficient to prevent abuse. They are proceeding directly to alter the carparks at great expense.

That post states there were a bunch of cars in the drop off zone and a Garda car was doing loops flashing at them. Still, no one has explained what the issue is? No one can, because there is no issue.

no one has provided a logical explanation as to why there is an issue with cars pulling into the side of the road?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"this won't change that. it's just a revenue generating measure"

Some would call it Capitalism...

Now imagine what a disaster it would be if we had a Luas line going to the Airport. So many great business in ruins, so many good people with no job...

;)

It will be the metro. eventually.

Who won’t have a job it will create jobs ;)

Should we pay to stand at the bus stop before we get on the bus? We are after all using the bus shelter/infrastructure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement