Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spring 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind and Rain warning for Ireland

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Heavy rainfall on Tuesday night and Wednesday, possibly turning wintry in places, will be accompanied by strong to near gale force and gusty southerly winds. This will lead to hazardous driving conditions and localised flooding. 
    • Valid: 22:00 Tuesday 08/03/2022 to 15:00 Wednesday 09/03/2022
    • Issued: 13:02 Monday 07/03/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

Bitter wind. Must be coming off the cold Irish Sea. Feeling very raw. Brass monkey weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep, I got the walk in, then straight home.

Brrr too cold to be out in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Jesus I can't feel my hands after jogging in that wind. Coldest it's been in ages. The steam from the incinerator in Dublin Port is at a right angle to the chimney going directly east, most of the year it's heading west out to sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The wind is absolutely cutting out there, being honest its taken a lot of the pleasure of jogging away, hopefully getting better soon.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

March always reminds me of the Battle of the Bulge. It's often winter's last major offensive, like the Germans.

Also it's success is often determined by cloudy or clear skies. Snowfall lasts longer in cloudy conditions as the stronger sun's influence doesn't come into play as much. It feels colder in cloudy conditions too. Like the first 10 days of the Bulge were cloudy and foggy, the US couldn't bring the weight of their vastly superior air force to bear on the advancing Germans. But when the skies cleared, game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I wouldn't normally ask but its a big day for me on Saturday so just wondering what's the weather going to be like in the North West mainly sligo around midday Saturday and into the afternoon.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Windy morning. Gusting 57kts in DunLaoghaire atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Woken yet again by the wind howling at about 3am.. We've gone from an utterly stunning day on Sunday to cloud wind and rain. (Typical weather)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Absolutely wild in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Being honest, the met.ie app is as good as anything at this remove. I've pasted below what it is currently saying for Sligo for Saturday. From MT's forecast it does sound like it will be cooler with passing showers. At 4 days away hard to be accurate. Certainly one of the better days this week but that might be damning it with feint praise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well I gave in +drove to school this morning, couldnt be out in that!

Don't know what it's like in other parts of country but more stormy here in NCD then during those other named 'storms'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mace head gusting 54 knots (100 km/h) at 10am. Rare to get such strong winds from a south easterly direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

72 km/h sustained winds at Belmullet, solid orange territory.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very windy in Meath but at least it's mild. We may have to wait a while to get sunny Spring days back as the following 7 to 10 days are looking very unsettled with no shortage of rainfall. The first week of March has probably been my favourite week of weather since the July heatwave with bags of sunshine and very frosty nights. But as of now the Atlantic is back in business and may dominate for the rest of March with a very positive AO and NAO forcast for the next 2 weeks, however I am hoping the final week of March things may begin to warm up and settle down.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Surprisingly gusty this morning the bins went flying even though I had them fairly well secured against a wall. Really heavy squally shower just passed through (SW Laois). Looks to be a cold day tomorrow once the front passes through and the winds become easterly.

Plenty of lightning in those showers crossing the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Amazing Mammatus over Galway when I was driving home around 4:30pm, some of the best I've seen in Ireland. Couldn't get home quick enough to get my camera before they moved away.

Wicklow mountains could get a right dumping tomorrow evening, could be interesting in some inland areas above 100m or so in the east.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Most models are keeping the snow exclusively to the Wicklow Mountains so I'd say anywhere above 400 meters should do well, not expecting anything other than cold rain or sleet at lower levels. The GFS is on it's own with some low level snow in the south-east away from the coast.

Probably right, would be nice to see the mountains white one last time this side of summer. The cold can bugger off before paddies though please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Was looking at the cctv this morning when one of those showers went over. Could see the line of monsoon like rain moving in a line up the street where water was just bouncing off the street and cars. Probably one of the worst I've seen. One minute there and then it move on the same way.

One nasty squall line just west of Limerick now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Pretty impressive now, stretching all the way from Derry almost to Waterford.

from www.met.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Longest and heaviest downpour in a while in Cork City now. Such a miserable morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Squall line gone through, big temperature drop and winds dropped off to light westerly, these were SE and quite fresh. South Laois. Nice sup of rain with this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

turning to sleet now, SE Tipp 150m

10am

Casement 10 degrees

Moore park 3 degrees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

That's 2° and moderate sleet now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Timistry

Wet snow in Clonmel

• Advertisement

Looks like wintery stuff in north Cork and Tipperary

Temperatures

Dew points:

Very heavy snow for about 90 mins, SE Tipp,150m,still belting down,everyplace covered

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Heavy snow here in Kilkenny on the high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Heavy snow across the border from Robert in Bilboa, Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Starting to stick here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Aherlow co tipperary

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Atrocious conditions here in Waterford City. Heavy rain at my station with 37.8mm recorded so far. Flooding the worst ive ever seen at the entrance to my estate. Temp also dropped from 9.7c to 1.9c in half an hour.

Moderate sleet since around 10.30am in south Laois. A few flakes mixing in now during the heavier bursts. 2.6c / 1.6c DP and falling in a NE breeze.

Snow covered fields over on the Comer Plateau. Probably 180m upwards.

absolute write off of a day in Meath, cool and very heavy rain all morning. Winds last night were very strong, loudest I've heard it in several months.

• Advertisement

Dry with long sunny spells and mild the other side of the front here in Castlebar .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You may start seeing some wintryness in the precipitation soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Raining here since about 10am in South Wicklow but it's gone very heavy the last couple of hours, starting to flood in various places around Rathdrum and the river across the road from me is very high already. No let up in sight either, Met Eireann have heavy rain forecast until 8pm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still in the mild here in Greystones. 9.3c atm. 8.0mm so far.

Taken around 2pm, snow settling on the Comer hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Low Temperature/Ice warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Meath, Offaly, Westmeath, Wexford, Wicklow, Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Munster, Connacht

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Hazardous conditions due to a widespread severe frost leading to ice on untreated surfaces. 

Valid: 20:00 Wednesday 09/03/2022 to 10:00 Thursday 10/03/2022

Issued: 14:53 Wednesday 09/03/2022

• Advertisement

4-5 inches lying in the fields now,2in on the roads,150m SE Tipp,easing off finally

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

In Tramore visiting and it’s 3 degrees and pissing down !

Status Orange - Rain warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy falls of rain will continue with surface flooding and poor driving conditions.

Valid: 15:35 Wednesday 09/03/2022 to 21:00 Wednesday 09/03/2022

Today is possibly the wettest and most miserable day since Christmas Day, still pouring here in Meath.

Imagine if we had cold air from the east or north undercutting all this rain, the country would be buried in snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Orange warning for Waterford after we get 50mm of rain!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement