Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

1) yes

2) yes

3) Abide by EU rules and laws which it does.

4)To ensure that democracy is implemented here.

5) We meet it by the fact democracy is implemented here.

What did those questions have to do with Nato?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What did those questions have to do with Nato?

Nothing at all.

The EU is primarily a trade block. NATO isn't anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Ok so you are happy to take any benefits but with no responsibilities outside of yourself.

Are you a banker because you sound exactly like them from 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@ittakestwo Also Nato is a damaged brand. Alot of countries don't like it and see it as a threat.

Let me see Russia ,china , Belarus ,Syria

I wonder why

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Do you have a hotline to the British MOD or something? You have no idea how British military leadership or indeed American military leadership will respond in wartime.

Only Article 5 of NATO can offer such garuntees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If we are not in NATO, the appropriate military response to a Russian invasion of Ireland could be to turn it into a wasteland so that it was useless to the Russians. No Article 5 obligation to defend us, we would be just a neutral battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,698 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭jackboy

Great idea. With that logic NATO should help Russia bomb Ukraine so it would be no good to them.

😁😁 Has a certain logic to it if you go with blanch's scare mongering.

How ironic would it be to see British soldiers patrolling Irish cities , because we haven't the capability to do it ourselves if war broke out ,

It wouldn't be a case of united Ireland, but the United kingdom again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

I am not sure I can agree with you on that one, it is not that long ago since a periscope was seen on the Shannon estuary and it definitely wasn’t an Irish sub, if it was the rooskies Shannon airport or Moneypoint could be taken out, this didn’t make national headlines but those who observed it weren’t on whackey backey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

but that is exactly what NATO does in Ukraine. They supply them with arms, ammo and whatnot. No offense but if you think for a second that all this "help" will help Ukraine or that it is free of charge you need to have your head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

People are so out of touch with reality it is actually painful to watch. To suggest that country the size of Ireland can maintain any army, navy, air corps with appropriate equipment to be able to amount to something in case of attack is pure comedy central. In case you forgot we are still repaying loans from our "celtic tiger" times of plenty. Actually we barely maintain to pay interest on those bailout money.

Oh, I nearly forgot that we should also put few billions aside as we may need to create space force in case it will be needed. You know, we should be prepared from attack from outer space too. It may actually come sooner than any future Russian invasion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Under what circumstances would it be the best course of action for the UK to sit back and wait whilst Russia builds up their military in Ireland, whilst Ireland is asking for help to get rid of them? This would be over a long period of time as well if Russia were building up a force to then attempt to take the UK... But you can see that the UK would just sit back and say sorry lads they've not attacked us yet and they seem friendly enough so we can't do anything until they enter NI.

If Ireland asked for help to get rid of an invading military then the UK would respond, if they hadn't already responded before being asked. There is no reason to invade Ireland other than to then invade the UK. It would be foolish for the UK to wait becuse of some NATO article. There is also nothing about NATO that would prevent THE UK from responding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They don't need to drive a sub up the Shannon to take something out, that can be done from miles away. If they want to take control of Shannon though and use it as a base themselves then they need significantly more than a single submarine. A handful of marines out of a sub isn't going to hold things for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Any abandonment of our historic neutrality would be a betrayal of both a guiding principle of our republic and the character of our nation.

Do they?

New Zealand for example, similar population to Ireland, and they don't have any combat air force anymore and its just for transport and support of their navy which consists of a handful of patrol boats. They wouldn't be able to defend themselves from anything much, but they don't need to as they are an island with otherwise no strategic value for anyone to be bothered trying to invade.

Sure there will be plenty of other examples of small countries with appropriately small military setup. It's not unusual.

But we should be able to spend to have some defensive capability .

Beats begging the British army to save us

But we have twice their GDP , Denmark would be a better example similar size population ,GDP and they spend on their military and defense , along with health care , social care, education, energy , infrastructure .but they have a Navy ,army and airforce ,

So why shouldn't we

• Advertisement

"Why shouldn't we?" isn't a great starting question for doing something when the first thing you should ask is "Why should we?".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Kind of already happens when it comes to our air space.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They would just need to hold Shannon and maybe Knock, really, for a short while until Iceland can be neutralized and not much need to sustain masses of troops. Not much of a supply line necessary. The rest of the country has no particular significance these days, it's not like Cork harbor is the key to the Atlantic any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Again with this nonsense. People think that the soul of the Irish nation is intertwined with neutrality as if God himself etched it on the stones of Dublin Castle.

It's not. The only reason we were neutral in the 1930's was that Dev wanted to pull us away from the Brits, and accident of history. Post-WWII Lemass and Lynch and Haughey were more than happy to join NATO or enter into a defence agreement with the Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

The main reason Dev wanted us to remain neutral in WWII was to save the lives of Irish people. From that point of view, the decision was correct.

Since then it has been a defining characteristic of the Republic.

I've never read anything to indicate that subsequent Taoisigh were eager to join NATO. Do you have a source for that? It immediately begs a question for me: then why didn't we?

@markodaly

Say what you want about Dev, he had the courage to keep a fledgling country out of WW2. I wouldn't diss his decisions re: NATO

The case for us to join has to be compelling and I don't see it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

I thought we were given assurances over our neutrality on the Lisbon treaty revote....just another slight of hand

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Actually the EU also has a defence capability - the common security and defence policy (CSDP).Guess what Ireland spends less on defence (per GDP) than ever other EU country - by.a long way it spends a fifth of the European average.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Anyone championing the 'join NATO' side needs to take a long hard look at the untold destruction that NATO has caused to countries around the world and even in Europe and ask themselves if we really want to align ourselves with that organisation. I must include that I in no way support the Russian invasion of Ukraine in any circumstance or think there is even a shred of justification for their barbaric and callous actions. However if we were under threat from a NATO country would we side with Russia just to be safe? Absolutely we wouldn't. We aren't a threat to anyone, NATO or Russia. If we join NATO then we are immediately a threat to the security of countries that have been historic NATO enemies.

Can we please not throw away our neutrality on a whim. There are other ways of protecting ourselves against foreign influence. A strong identity on the world stage (unwavering Irish neutrality), and massively increasing our radar surveillance and waters patrolling capabilities will do far more good for us here and the world over than us trying to keep up with a NATO military budget. I get that people are emotionally distraught over this invasion. What the Russians are doing is awful and deserves to be condemned. The whole thing is making my blood boil. But cool heads must prevail. We cannot allow ourselves to be dragged into this geopolitical situation and further sow division and increase tensions.

We stand united with the Nations of the world against Russia in condemning this action while also asking for peaceful diplomacy to prevail and prevent further death and destruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

What untold destruction?

The only NATO engagement I'd rank as a mistake is Libya. None of the security council voted against it by the way in case you want to absolve other actors.

Balkans and Afghanistan? Let her rip. Those two interventions were essential - in the case of the Balkans to prevent further instances of genocide and the stability of the region, and screw the Russian and Chinese panty sniffers who say otherwise. Anyone want to put their hands up that they miss Milosevic and his merry band of war criminals?

Afghanistan was a security vortex, an extremists playground and a danger to global security, and again an essential intervention. Biden made a mistake with a full pullout and we'll all pay the price for that in the medium and long term.

Advertisement