Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Just from what I heard now about the surgery was that he(TJ) wanted to finish off the year with Ballyhale and that he could miss the whole year with KK because of it. If true, what a pity it would be because he was top class against ballygunnar inde final and on a persona note for him he’s close to the championship record for apps if I’m correct. And our best player still by miles.

lots of positives from the Dub game but the Waterford game will be the real teller depending on their team. We’ve a squad of lads (If fully fit) that’s better than anybody else inde the country it’s just getting the balance and selection right. As we’ve seen before the league means f all and we’ve the toughest fixtures. Galway and dublin away if I’m correct and as results have shown no matter where we play Wexford lately it’s always close. Hard to know if it’ll be a good or bad year just yet but I’m slightly optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I think some of those who do or used to have skin in the game regards Dublin vouch for them strongly for 2 reasons. 1. There the only top 9 county where hurling is considered the poorer relation of football so fight their corner more 2. A few have a chip on the shoulder with the 'manufactured hurlers' tag some unfairly place on Dublin in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Daly made a good living out of the Dubs, the Dubs are getting serious funding that no other county is getting from the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Larkin did say recently that tj was due to get groin surgery so that would rule him out you'd imagine. I know he was struggling since the county final last year so its fair testament to stay going and putting in huge performances despite carrying a serious injury. He'd obviously be a huge loss so we'll just have to wait and see. The serious hurling won't start till the galway game which is probably over two months away. I don't know the time frame of the recovery but I think with padraig going to 11 it had given him a new lease of life and he should be a help to that attack. Wally also out to prove a point and Billy Ryan can hopefully really kick on now. Mossy was a threat Saturday its a pity eoin o donnell didn't play and prunty pulled up with a hamstring he'll probably be out the next day.i think if tj does play this year he'll be left at 14 and won't be asked to put in the huge shifts like before.

I do agree the league will stand for nothing if we lose to Dublin in the championship but we brought huge energy and workrate last Saturday and it was great to see lads playing heads up hurling. Our wing backs were getting up the field and butler is improving at corner back. He's sticky and has pace. Himself and blanchfield need to fill out but that will come.waterford will probably rest a few but cahill won't want to get beaten by kk it'll be a great test because Waterford are probably the form team and they've huge energy and pace and plenty of skill.

It's vital we find a few players this league so far butler,blanchfield,Kenny and Tom phelan have done some good things but we've alot of lads to come back lads like leahy,delaney,browne,fogarty,Richie Reid,eoin cody,mullen, throw in lads like Darren mullen and Shane Walsh who most think has something to offer at this level we mightnt be as far away as some think. I wouldn't get carried away after last Saturday but it was encouraging to see us playing through the lines and playing a bit of head up hurling. A win against Waterford and its a semi final.

Well done to kierans and they've a final on St Patrick's day tp look forward to. I think 5 of the forwards are underage next year including shine. Hard luck to good councel who had a large kilkenny contingent. I hope the u20 panel had a chat with Liam Moore they can't afford not to have him. This team will be backboned by 2 minors who got defeated in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Kieran’s were impressive and I feel Croke Park will suit their forwards.

I was very disappointed with Good Counsel but feel in hindsight Dublin South were weak enough (CBS hammered them earlier in campaign) and that may have led to GC's Leinster Final win drawing too many plaudits. Their forwards were blown out of it by ASR and scored just 0-3 between them from play. Also started Danny Glennon at corner back??

I will say GC not helped by a dreadful pitch in Bansha. Playing an AI semi in Bansha on a pitch like that was a very poor decision and definitely played in to ASR’s hands.

An interesting observation on ASR, especially given some of the criticism Kieran’s pick up from some on this forum, they have a very wide pick and a clear minority of their players come from Limerick city. Pulling in players not just from all over the county but also Clare with many travelling 15-20km at least.

Askeaton, Adare, Kilmallock, Broadford, Sixmilebridge, Bruff, Ballybrown etc

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Village87

RIP Paul Shefflin. Great servant to the Ballyhale cause. An awful awful loss to so many people. A tough one to take

Post edited by Village87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

This is just more evidence of how skewed championship structure favours teams that are unable to win their provincial titles. Good Counsel were unlucky because Ard Scoil Rís effectively had two extra competitive games before the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

The criticism of kierans is not based on their pick. They are entitled to take in students from anywhere in the country as are any school. The criticism is based on them contacting players from other schools, including schools outside the county, to transfer into there, when they already have a panel of 37 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Dublin lack the hurlers. They have peaked already beating a poor tipp team and are at full strength for much of the League while we are experimenting. We will be far too strong for them come championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

It may be that Eoin Cody could be the only Ballyhale starter on the Kilkenny team with Adrian Mullen struggling for form, Richie Reid and Darragh Corcoran not certain to start either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

ASR star man is from Killmallock 37 mins from the school, i know Kieran's has a strong academic reputation aswel as sporting so another reason parents like their children going there, don't know if the same applies to ASR.

I think a lot of these stories about Kierans contacting players from outside Kilkenny schools is at best rumour and likely garbage.

Where is the evidence for this "policy"?

Of the last 7 AI wins by Kierans, I dont believe a single player from outside Kilkenny started.

Based on his last two outings with Ballyhale and Carlow IT, I don’t think Cody is an automatic and yes Mullen on all recent form doesn’t deserve to start.

I think if they go well again against Waterford, Cody will go with most of team that started against Dublin. For me, as impressive as it was, I think Dublin were stink and just weren’t ready for the passion and commitment Kilkenny brought to the game. It was a great performance by Kilkenny, yet another one you could be proud of the ferocity and desire we bring, but I refuse to believe 6-7 hurlers who have been no better than average for last 4-5 years are now suddenly world beaters. Love to be proven wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Management need to be more concerned about Eoin Cody's wellbeing than his hurling right now. The poor lad has been on the losing side in three major matches recently - with Shamrocks seniors, Carlow IT and Shamrocks under 21s. To cap it all his uncle Paul died this week. Sometimes we've got to stand back and put things in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The fact two of their current starting forwards were parachuted in from other schools just this year is a coincidence I'm sure. They both just happen to be unreal. I'm sure there was a massive influx of non hurling playing students at the same time.

I am not being obtuse when I say I haven't a clue whether it is a coincidence, Kieran's is a very good school that happens to have a massive hurling tradition.

If you’re a young lad living 15-20 miles away who is handy and mad for hurling, it is very likely you may want to go there and because it is now a very good school academically (it was a pure kip when I went there in the 1980's), their parents will likely row in and support them even though it probably inconveniences them somewhat.

My point is that I don’t believe there is anything sinister going on, some posters seem to think it's akin to American collegiate sports style recruitment. It isn’t.

The 2022 team does indeed have two good players who came to Kieran’s post Junior Cert,including one from outside Kilkenny but it would appear to be an outlier year as you need to go back almost 20 years to find an AI winning Kieran’s player from outside Kilkenny.

ASR have 4 starters from Clare and at least half their team come to ASR despite plenty closer schools available to them. I would say the rationale is identical, good school, great hurling, the good players will come the extra distance.

To provide a sense of perspective, I started in Kieran’s with Gary Halpin (RIP) and when it became obvious he was a very good rugby prospect, he headed off to Rockwell. I doubt he would ever have played for Ireland if he had stayed in Kieran’s and no one would have begrudged him or finger pointed at Rockwell for "poaching"

I am wholly against any sort of poaching but choices JJ, choices, young lads make choices and parents (certainly today) will support them 100% provided they are also getting a top-class education. This is tough on the schools they might otherwise normally attend but the choice is 100% theirs and I don’t believe in most occasions they need any coaxing let alone poaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

Exactly lads need to give him a break FFS.

Is Eoin even 21 yet? Still Very young.

He has done a savage amount of hurling for Ballyhale at the highest level of club and also for Kilkenny in the last two years.

Brilliant hurler in my eyes!

A wee break might do him the world of good.

13 teams (including Naas) in the U17 Roinn A league this year with 2 groups of 9 in Roinn B (including Mt Leinster Rangers and Carlow Town). Those are proper competitions so good to see. Be interesting to see if county players are allowed play for their club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I presume Diesel money was part of the ‘package’? Or maybe Finan is driving round the country picking up these ‘stars’ every morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Why wouldn't they play. Surely club comes first at underage level?

• Advertisement

Starters weren't allowed play league games last year while the Leinster minor championship was running at the same time. Typically because club games were on Mondays and county games on Wednesdays.

Kilkenny play on Saturday the 9th and 16th of April and the club games are on every Monday night through April before they break for exams through May and June so there's going to be overlap again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

It's great to see so many matches, some clubs disadvantaged more than others with county players missing but it gives management a better chance to see what their panel is made of. The so called lesser stars will have to step up. On another note I hear only two schools in Roinn A (Canices and Gaelscoil) hopefully this has changed but if not it's a sad day for schools hurling in Kilkenny if this is allowed to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Wall to wall coverage of the football league on Sunday on tg4 and nae'r a hurling match. I can't knock tnag in fairness as they give great Gaa coverage but our game with Waterford or Wexford v Cork would have been nice to see on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

To be fair, no hurling league this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Ah there ya go I should have checked I thought we were out on Sunday 😟 my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Traditionally ASR pull players from Sixmilebridge, Clonlara,Cratloe but no further. Now they are getting them from 25km into Clare.. and further out into county Limerick. Kilmallock is 50 mins from ASR on the North circular road. The far side of the city . Its a bit mad in fairness. When I was there we never had that.. And they are still an 'A' rugby school. Its not good for other schools in Limerick. People on here think Limerick city is a hurling city. Its got a tradition and Na Piarsaigh are great but it's not like Kilkenny . Junior soccer and Rugby are alot bigger than hurling.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Thoughts? From what Cummins' is saying there is no difference between these new balls and the old ones - so why did they bother then? Fair enough it creates a standard for the ball but why didn't they take the opportunity to make it a little heavier. I still think that the throwing of the ball by teams, particularly Cork and Linerick, is the biggest issue in the game at the moment and I hope that referees are allowed to correctly penalise teams that are doing it - regardless of whether that means there are 100 frees in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Would making it a little heavier not make it go further??

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Read another article on them and the gist of it was that there is something like 35 approved manufacturers of sliotars for the GAA but what they found is that the standard is not being met across the board. Whatever about the smart side of it, it's no harm resetting the bar and getting consistency in the standard.

I agree re the throwing of the sliotar, it's a blight and needs to be stamped out. And in doing that, incorrect calls will be made but it will make lads think about how they execute the skill going forward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement