Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What facts. There are no facts at all in the war according to you. Impossible to know what is going on so your posts are a dead end.

Fact you refused to condemn Russian attacks on medical facilities as verified by the WHO.

You will refuse to condemn the latest Russian attack on a childrens hospital.

Apparently no paratroops were landed around Kiev and had their aircratt shot down. Maybe they are still there. Who knows according to you. No Russian riot police police were shot up by Ukranian military. Despite all the photos of same.

So no discussion is possible with you. You presented a narrative of Russias plan and refuse to accept any comment on it as as your ostrich in the sand facts standard demands.

If you wonder why nobody replies to any of your posts it will because they have concluded it is impossible to discuss an issue with someone engaging in these hear no evil see no evil debating tricks. As I said you have dead ended and checkmated yourself.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Yes they have. Theyve and its pretty well documented. The problem in Ukraine is they havent changed enough.

And it is an extreme exaggeration to say they would be anihillated if they faced a NATO country. Take Germany for example - they have massive logistical problems. Theyre even kinda proud of it - given their past they dont want to have any expeditionary capacity.

Russia tried to be like the US armed forces. They failed. They have shown up their weakenesses. But they will learn from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Yep. Know all this.

Its frustrating seeing farming run into the ground. That's why we've slowly being moving away from intense farming the last few years cutting back on fertiliser inputs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

why?,

saying this as someone who works in energy..

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭glitterIsland

Is there any sign of the Russians stopping this büllshït.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The wind is prevailing south westerly, you build your shed with that in mind, they used be traditionally anyway,

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

What happens when Russia moves on Moldova?

how can they be stopped reclaiming the Russian areas of Moldova, Georgia and the baltics

We would be in a much better place if Ryan had bothered to actually follow through on the one actionable he promised.

Still no feed in tariff and the one his proposal makes it more efficient to waste the electricity on spurious activities

Also ignoring why it needed to be empty, in the first place. Because Russia was targetting civilian infrastructure and are waging a war to cripple any Ukraine recovery

No way solar alone will ever do, unless we've completed a few dozen Turlough Hill plants in secret

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's worse than that

The story about the Bio Weapons labs STARTED with the Right crazies in the US , InfoWars to be exact.

Russia then piled on with the whole bit about having proof that the story was true etc. etc.

Now, where might InfoWars have gotten this "story" in the first place????

Useful idiots doesn't quite cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Its all over the news - im stunned by some of the footage SKY NEWS chose to show. But then, with so many denials, equivocations and distortions, i guess its necessary to display the carnage.

Its unreal. That attack on a hospital was a war crime. Fits the criteria perfectly

i Intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population as such or against individual civilians not taking direct part in hostilities;

ii Intentionally directing attacks against civilian objects, that is, objects which are not military objectives;

iii Intentionally directing attacks against personnel, installations, material, units or vehicles involved in a humanitarian assistance or peacekeeping mission in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations, as long as they are entitled to the protection given to civilians or civilian objects under the international law of armed conflict;

iv Intentionally launching an attack in the knowledge that such attack will cause incidental loss of life or injury to civilians or damage to civilian objects or widespread, long-term and severe damage to the natural environment which would be clearly excessive in relation to the concrete and direct overall military advantage anticipated;

v Attacking or bombarding, by whatever means, towns, villages, dwellings or buildings which are undefended and which are not military objectives;

vii Making improper use of a flag of truce, of the flag or of the military insignia and uniform of the enemy or of the United Nations, as well as of the distinctive emblems of the Geneva Conventions, resulting in death or serious personal injury;

From the link provided.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I just watched this video. 30 mins long so not a quickie but it really is excellent.

Main takeaways from the video on why he invaded Ukraine:

• If NATO is viewed as an aggressive force, then having Ukraine join NATO would love Russia with a large area to defend, making it very difficult to do so. With Ukraine neutrality, NATO have a limited area to attack Russia due to geographical topography, that's if NATO is viewed as an aggressive force
    • Crimea has been struggling due to the canal supplying water to it being blocked in Ukraine. Russia potentially want to safeguard this from happening again by securing up to as far as the Dnipro river.
    • Russia may also want to take the southern coast of Ukraine to block Ukraines access to the offshore gas/oil and make it a landlocked state
    • Main takeaway is that Ukraine would be a massive competitor to Russia as they found shitloads of gas reserves in Ukraine. Ukraine granted licences to western companies around Crimea so Russia invaded then and they left. If Ukraine had all that gas/oil then the EU would cut off Russia and it would die a death.
    • Russia pulled the same tactic with Georgia in 2008 as they did with Donbas and will likely do the same thing with Moldova in the future.

You are right that solar power alone won't do the job to power the country, but that's no reason to overlook the contribution it could make in the here and now. We need to be looking for sustainable, marginal solutions everywhere at the minute, in both food and energy production.

So you're happy enough that any of that crap is anywhere near a valid reason for aggression?

FFS

This is terribly naive.

Farmers who are in beef can't just decide to grow crops instead this year. It's a completely different skillset. It would be like asking a guitarist to play the banjo. They're both stringed instruments but you wouldn't be able switch in a year.

And nearly all the land used for beef is not suitable for tillage anyways. Hilly, wet land. The good land, all the flat vast land in Leinster is mostly used for tillage anyways.

In any case we need the beef production, we eat a lot of beef.

Oh here we go again 🙄 Just because I want to understand WHY Putin invaded Ukraine, doesn't actually mean I support him, ffs. Does no one here actually want to understand why he invaded Ukraine rather than shouting "HE INVADED BECAUSE HE'S MENTAL"???

When Anders Breivik killed all those innocent people, isn't it normal to want to understand the reasons for his actions? He was a white supremacist nazi which he admitted. Does it mean I support white supremacy and think they were valid reasons for him to kill innocent people. Obviously not!

Did you even click the link? Did you watch the video?

The video is titled "Why Russia is invading Ukraine"...does that mean the creator of the video is saying Russia has a valid reason? If so then why is the creator donating to Ukrainians in the comments??

Mods need to sort out this rubbish, people purposely misinterpreting comments.

Except the poster stated that solar was the answer and to ignore wind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

On bogs

People generally don't object to solar farms

Wind turbines are a curse on the landscape and a health hazard for communities beside them

They are not and they don't.

They also function at night and throughout the winter, as long as there's wind.

I've 14 solar panels on my roof and still think your comment is nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

😐️

This time next year - what do you reckon? Ukraine under Russian rule? Ukraine free? The war/invasion ongoing?.....or we're all dead nuclear Armageddon?

Except you keep trying to shift blame and legitimise the "reasons"

Ukraine can do whatever they hell they want, as a democratic state. Join EU or NATO, refuse to supply an annexed province, not recognise breakaway regions cause by Russian stoked tensions etc.

None of them are valid, in the least, and people attempting to portray them as such are just enablers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Yeah, nobody is switching from cattle to growing wheat in a few weeks, change like that takes time and the land has often been managed for generations to suit its current use.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Doubtful. It's not as if the Ukrainian army will be following them to the gates of Moscow.In the absolute best-case scenario for Ukraine they will be evicted from Ukrainian territory, more likely stalled in place and their offensive thwarted...at least temporarily. Yet we're to believe they will resort to nuclear weapons if they're simply not allowed to win.

You're the one bringing up the topic of validity. My post was purely about why Putin invaded. Your comments about Ukraine doing whatever they want are not related to my post at all, everyone agrees they can do what they want anyways? So not sure what point you are actually trying to make in response to my post?

If you have any proof of me shifting blame and legitimizing the invasion, please post them! Because I have done no such thing as I completely disagree with the invasion, as everyone does.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

That's what it was. A chaotic, disorganized attempt to thwart the process by which Joe Biden was made president by stopping the protocol by which the election was formalized. Most of the rioters were ignorant louts who didn't know what they were doing, but there was an intention behind the chaos and there were people in the WH who had an idea what was going on.

Sure you do buddy, because all your posts in this thread totally don't pay lip service to Russian aggression being bad while painting "reasons" why it's happening ( which usually lay responsibility on NATO/EU/Ukraine)

All my posts in the thread? Go on, list my last 10 posts in the thread then? Go on.

Anyways, I'm done with you. Congrats, you're first person on my list

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They have modernised a very limited number of it's forces ,the majority are still in the 1950s ,yes they even and 6 new jets they claimed to be 5th generation stealth ( except 4th gen aircraft have found and tracked them on radar) and they regularly announce new wonder weapons ,

But yet as currently seen in Ukraine ,they are still doing what they did in Chechen wars and the same they did back in Afghanistan,

They are a one trick pony , bomb everything to the Stoneage and the population will bow at putins feet ,

It's not happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

All very laudable but in good faith and in line with your commitment to checking sources the linked article isn’t a retraction of or an apology for false reporting of Iraqi troops throwing babies out of incubators.

You jumped immediately on unverified reports of a massive number of deaths at a maternity hospital. Was a figure of 3000 dead mentioned?

Reports now say 17 people were injured.

Sometimes it is best to wait for more information before jumping to the conclusion that feeds into your narrative. In good faith.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Advertisement