Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To hell with the internal combustion engine....where's me bike?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think mine was 1250 in Decathlon and it's excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

I apologise in advance, if my response causes offense, but.........

Go 'way ta fu(k, will ya?! Too expensive me hole.

2k initial outlay (1500 of which is covered upfront by the cycle to work scheme-if you're eligible) plus a couple of hundred a year on maintenance/tyres/electrcity used for charging......with the added bonus of giving you moderate exercise, without breaking a sweat.

Look after it, and it'll last you a decade. How much will a car cost you to run for a decade?

Compare running an ebike (or a couple of them in a household) to the utter ar5e-reaming we get as motorists, in annual costs.

E-bikes are expensive, compared to chain store pushbikes, yes, but are cheaper-than-chips compared to the running costs of a car.

I'm no tree-hugging, sandal wearing cyclist. I work in a bike shop, have a passion for old bikes but I'm also a realist..

Before I starting restoring vintage bikes, I spent two decades restoring old Golf GTi moneypits.

I have a work van, weekend car and a vintage motorhome in the driveway, so I know only too well what running a vehicle in Ireland costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Every day since September, missed 1 day as I was sick. Charge it in work too. 2k done on it. Lucky enough have a place to bring it into the office so won't be nicked. Have a good set of rain gear and a helmet with a wind viser and your away in a hack.

Came off it once as someone pulled out in front of me. Bike was fine I was broke up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you OK now? did you hit them, or wipe out under braking? and did they hang around?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Fine now, I was in the cycle lane , bike started sliding sideways and suddenly got grip. They did stop to check on me I was mostly winded. Bit of a sore foot, luckily I wear fairly tough gloves and landed mostly on my back pack, nothing will bring back my squashed banana though.

You would be nervous getting back on the horse and I stay out of that cycle lane as it's actually quite dangerous when you really think about the layout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭ratracer

A mate at work got one recently, and commutes in town everyday now. I had a chance to take it for a spin, as I’d never ridden an e-bike before. I was slagging saying I can’t wait until I’m old enough to need an e-bike, but they are class. The simplicity of pedalling it a low speeds is brilliant. I’m giving serious consideration to getting one now, even just for the ‘non-sweaty’ aspect of getting around on it.

id still prefer the normal road bike, but can definitely see the benefit of it.

His has a Bosch battery, which I think is pretty good, what have you got in your shop @8valve ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nsonowa

You should have led with "I work in a bike shop" rather than anything about your hole.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My commute is 140km, I do about 25km by bike and the rest by train. It is glorious but I am lucky in tat I imagine this would suit very few people. I'll stick to the regular bike for now but would happily use an ebike if I could afford one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

My ebike has 22k km on it since 2018. Bosch gen2 with the original bosch battery which is probably at 60-70% of its original capacity. I had to get the motor rebuilt as the main bearing went at 18k km which is probably way beyond its design limit. I have replaced wear items only to include the crank/chain/cassette and also the rear wheel due to bearing wear. The bike owes me nothing and it has been extremely versatile, the only time I was stranded was when a tyre shredded on me. I would be loath to get back in the car now, only a job change to a location where I couldn't cycle would achieve that.

We have a few different brands, equipped with either Bosch, Yamaha or bafang motors. Batteries are predominantly Samsung, Bosch or Giant's own brand 'powerpak', which may use Samsung cells, if I'm not mistaken. We only stock stuff we can stand over with warranty. I look after the workshop and don't want to spend my days doing warranty repairs....did that years ago in the motor trade and it's thankless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It's ridiculous that the bike to work scheme only gives an extra €250 for ebikes. My ebike was €3,000, the standard equivalent is €1,500. Yet EVs get well over €5,000 in grants. Not everyone wants a basic bike from Decathlon or Halfords that fits in the €1,500 price range. My bike is a standard aluminium frame, cheap wheels and basic GRX groupset, far from high end. They're just really expensive and the grant doesn't do nearly enough to cover the cost difference of an ebike.

The government would lose out in their sweet VRT and petrol taxes if more of us were on bikes though...

Disgruntled opinions of the grant aside, ebikes are fantastic. I'm 30 and in reasonable cycling fitness but it's a chore of a commute with a lot of long gradual inclines and traffic lights so the ebike takes the sting out of it. Also I'm jealous of people saying they don't sweat, I can't cruise or take it easy on the bike. I average 175-200w/Zone 3 on my commute so still burn 1,000 calories over 35km :)

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

GRX is not a 'basic' groupset surely, it's more expensive than 105.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah the lowest price for a GRX 400 equipped bike I could find is like 2200 quid.

I’d say you’d find the vast majority of people using the scheme will be only using the 1500 and not adding on top of it.

You'd be surprised. Our basic e-bike is 1700 quid and people are happy to add the extra couple of hundred, even commonly adding the extra 500 to get something for the two grand mark, with decent range and output.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Your typical ebike is a brilliant choice for commuting; proper lights, mudguards, hub gear and chain guard would be typical on a lot of them.

I currently live in Clonmel and nearly all the roads serving town would be pretty unpleasant to commute on especially during peak hours. A bit of thought and planning would eliminate the need to use nearly all those roads and the ebike would level out the lumpier nature of back roads.

For example people commuting for the Dungarvan direction ( on what is a cnut of a regional road but popular with cyclists) the route below is one of many options which avoids most of regional road; at the cost of a little more climbing

Generally ebikes are brilliant for allowing people to cycle who normally wouldn't have. I've met a local man who's about 80 who's back cycling for the first time in 50 odd years. I've met him on the road below twice and nearby roads two other times

Dropped pin

https://maps.app.goo.gl/oifH2k3JoDDjaSU19

When out on the very lumpy backroads around the Waterford Greenway I've met an odd elderly ebike rider on roads they would never have seen otherwise.

Our lumpy and extensive back road network might be our get out of jail card for no cycling infrastructure

Regarding GRX, when I say basic I'm not saying it's the cheapest as obviously it's above Claris and Tiagra but for the €3,000 I paid it's not like you're getting Ultegra or anything. I'm on a Canyon, Orbea would be a better example, at €2,700 you get Claris 8 speed and mechanical discs. My point is, road ebikes are very expensive if you want something that isn't budget brand with random components.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

but for the €3,000 I paid it's not like you're getting Ultegra or anything.

the cheapest 'analogue' road bike cyclesuperstore have in stock right now, which comes with ultegra, is €3k. it's the way prices are now (though i obviously don't know when you bought yours); but there's been a massive pivot to e-bikes just as supply got badly constrained.

the battery alone on my wife's e-bike seems to be about €500 for a new one.

It's the same situation with electric cars, as ebikes. Economy of scale. When they become more common, prices will drop.

Wrt the debate above on groupsets and their perceived prestige/quality.... I own bikes with 105, Ultegra, SRAM, various Campagnolo bits, claris and tiagra. They all have a common trait. They're reliable. I don't get hung up on the brand. Stop falling for bicycle component manufacturers advertising, telling you that you must buy the latest and greatest stuff. It's all bollo(ks.

true, but it was worth mentioning in the context of 'i bought an e-bike for €3k and it didn't even have ultegra' that these days it's not all that straightforward to get an analogue bike with ultegra for 3k.

• Advertisement

I think I'm just bad with words. What I mean is, I spent 3k and that wasn't me going out of my way for Ultegra or a carbon frame or anything expensive, just a standard road bike. Certainly not expecting Ultegra at that price!

So while people are happy to spend €1,500 on Decathlon bikes, anyone looking for a proper Shimano groupset rather than random components like a Btwin derailleur and random wheels and tyres is looking at something like the €2,700 Orbea and the grant is just way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I cycled 100klm last year and burned 1100 calories. Thats some going if you can burn 1000 in 35klm.

Ive spent nearly 3k on a cube agree with mechanical ultegra. I feel robbed now as i could have got a decent e bike for that money but i dont really need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

A decent e-road bike is 4500+ or about a grand more than its analogue sibling.

Quite tempted by one now as well as even if the war in Ukraine subsides, we have crossed a dangerous line and fuel/energy prices may never return to the levels of 2020/21.

My only gripe on e-bikes is that the nice ones you'd actually want to own and use are either too good or not designed to be put to commuting duties. Example - the Ribble e SL Pro or the Bianchi Aria E-Road, beautiful bikes but try a few months of commuting on either and getting the hub motors caked in shite and the frame slurried and you'll soon start thinking "I could have got 3 x Decathlon workhorses for this".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

By the same token should the bike2 work cover me.buying a dura ace equipped carbon monster?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The btwin derailleurs etc are mostly just rebadged Microshift who make decent parts that are quite functional and will last as long as the Shimano one.

Random wheelS and tyres? Stock wheels and tyres are nearly always crap.

1100 calories on an analogue bike? that's way lower than most claims i've seen for cycling. i've read between 250 and 1000 calories per hour, depending on how vigorous you're cycling.

strava's estimates (and i'm not saying strava is correct, but it's definitely lower than other calculators i've seen) would usually tell me about 800+ per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've seen quite a few 105 builds coming in around the €3k mark in the past few months - and it wouldn't be a case that everything else on the bike was exotic, just farily average mid-range spec that you'd have been expecting to come in sub €2k pre-pando

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Actually it would be the lack of "exercise" that puts me off a bit. Wednesday I averaged more than 25km/h, but that was with tailwind both ways. I presume I'd do the same. tbh, budget will only stretch to a workhorse, but "another bike" even to save diesel went down like a sanction to a chelsea fan.

fwiw my (left only) power meter "work" is generally circa 90% of the calorie count. I use the output where I have it, but anything without a power meter is kinda depending on max heart rate being known.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

If you are handy would you consider converting a road/touring bike? I will have to replace the eMTB at some point and am harboring ideas for converting a drop bar touring type bike to create an efficient low drag commuter ebike. The goal being to stop charging the battery in work. Looking at either the Triban rc520 or a Radar Expert as they have relaxed geometry but with drop bars, they also have mech/hyd brakes and clearance for big tyres (2" on the Radar) along with mudguard and rack mounting points. Cost would be about 2k I think and that's without accounting for the grant so probably ~1500quid.

Would be going with a rear hub motor and a frame mounted battery, probably around 17ah but I have seen up to 22ah mounted on a road bike frame. That would be some range!

• Advertisement

As a lighthearted Friday side-note, I had a customer ask one time ''Would you put €1500 on the invoice for the ctw if I go for a Di2 roadbike? Shur that's kinda electric, isn't it?!''

Ahem...

I politely declined.

Advertisement