Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare sick pay for zero hour conract worker

• 08-03-2022 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I have been searching for information about what I would be entitled to if I was to go on sick leave from my zero hour contract job. I am what is called a casual worker and cover shifts which are not covered by contract staff. I usually work around 25 hours minimum a week Monday to Sunday I suffer with mental health issues and have been for over 30 years, I have mostly kept it in check but in times of great stress I go downhill with bad thoughts and find it very difficult to be optimistic and happy. In the last 2 months I have gone through 2 very stressful situations which have hit me very hard. I feel useless, a burden, unworthy the works and I feel I need to take some off to get myself together. I will be speaking with my dr on Friday. My question is what would I be entitled to if I was to go "on the sick" as it were as I will not be paid for this (not that I should) I would be very grateful for any help or advice any of you could give. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Sorry to hear you've been unwell OP.

First thing is to find out if you have enough PRSI contributions.

Have you access to a mygovid account 🤔 you can check contributions you've made , if you have no access I'm sure you could call to find out. You need to find out what contributions you paid in 2020.

Basically illness benefit is paid based on PRSI contributions and they look at tax year 2020 for a claim made in 2022.

Keep in mind however the rate of benefit paid is based on your average earnings for the year applicable.

It's not important if your on a zero hour contract, it's about your prsi contributions and average earnings (to determine the rate your paid)

It's also important that you get a cert from your GP.

If you've not paid enough contributions in 2020 or the rate paid is low , SWA might be an option but this is means tested and you'll need to arrange an interview with a CWO in your local intero Centre.

Link below re illness benefit and how you qualify, rates etc

There's a better explanation on citizens information website but can't attach link for some reason.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Midlands Minnie

thank you so much Dempo, I have been working non stop since I started in Dec 2018, any weeks I took off I didnt get paid for but they give holiday pay which is for hours worked ie 8 hours holiday pay for every 100 hours worked so I think I should be ok. Money is very tight but I cant go on like this as I'm heading for a breakdown. I will check everything out tomorrow. Thanks again.

Well do take care of yourself and see if you can check your contributions. I meant to say there's illness benefit paid for a certain period of time and if your GP feels you could be out long term , explore Disability Allowance also .

I find citizens information gives more details so best source for information.

Good luck 😏

👍️

Based on that you'll be OK/ enough contributions.

I really appreciate this is an 'easy thing to say / write.........but PUT YOURSELF FIRST....... looking after yourself is your #1 priority..... all the best

• Advertisement

Thank you Ken. I havent put myself first in an awfully long time, I really really need this to get my head calm and to give myself some peace.

Hi ' Midlands Minnie" ...... did you get a mo to follow up/ look into that today???? I was having coffee with the HR lady in the company I work for today & I casually / in v general terms rolled your query by her.......as in " what are my entitlements to sick pay/ illness benefit on a zero hour contract??"....she said it's the SAME entitlement as a FT employee...... as in, it's not costing the employer anything.....nothing to do with the employer really....its all to do with your PRSI contributions. Personally, I find the "I simply can't afford to be ill/ to look out for myself" idea abhorrent.

Hi Ken, thank you so much! Yes, I did the sums and it looks like I should get 209 a week which I suppose is ok as I am on a low wage anyway. We will be cutting down on some stuff so the sting wont be too bad. It is awful that you cant afford to be sick in this country after working all my life, but this is the first time I dont feel an enormous amount of guilt for taking off. Thank you again for all your help and advice, it is very much appreciated.

€209 per week.......dont go looking at the new bmw5 series so😂 €209 isn't great but look, it is what it is, & if you need to 'step back' ( regardless of what the doc says......YOU DECIDE........ as the nike ad keeps telling us " just do it") . If the ol ship is heading towards the rocks.....throw the anchors out & DO WHAT you need to do/ what'll work FOR YOU.. really hope you get back into calmer water

• Advertisement

I have plans to get out more an meet people, go walking, swimming and taking an art class as well. And I am really looking forward to it. Not a BMW fan but will look at anything better than my 2010 ford focus with half a million miles on it. And yes, it is what it is and I can do anything about it but I will happier with the break from a toxic workplace and also looking forward to a bit of sun as well. Calm waters, here I come. 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi OP, if you are only working 25 hrs a week normally, definately apply for DA. When you are feeling better you can return to work and still get some DA payment at the same time. If you have a consultant psychiatrist, include a letter from them stating you are impaired from talking up full time work and how your illness affects your ability to work. I resisted suggestions of applying for DA for many years after I became Ill. I was wrong to do so, I should have applied straight away. DA is the most flexible social welfare payment and it is a great help for those unable to take up full time employment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Hi Midlands Minnie

In order to get the full rate of €208 you needed to have an average wage in 2020 of €300+ per week.

Many thanks for this information. In 2020 l covered a supervisors maternity leave for a year and take home was nearly 500 a week. I am back now earning a min of around 350 as a casual worker.

Hi Cherry, my doctor is treating me by himself as the mental health services a re so bad I our county. In my own opinion l do need professional help as my thoughts can run very bad if l have a low mood. I am going to ask about this on Friday when l see him. Thank you for this as l don't fight for myself often and have never thought about it as a disability, when it most certainly is. X

Advertisement