Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the Irish Labour party such a failure ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Official Sinn Fein/Sinn Fein - The Workers' Party/The Workers' Party/Democratic Left/(big chunk of) Labour

Think that's most of their guises...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Augme

Hard decisions also involve standing up for what you believe and doing the right thing.

It very easy to sit there and collect the added Ministerial salary and not stand up for what you belief in. Labour excelled at that tbf to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭storker

I can't see it either. I may be wrong but the impression I get is one of an identity politician whose main focus will be on right-on minority issues. Before I get jumped on, I don't feel that minority issues should be ignored, jus that a party needs to look after its base. If they don't do that they won't be in power and won't be in a position to help anybody. And they risk driving the squeezed middle into the welcoming arms of SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Sold out the working class years ago when sharing government

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I cannot see where people think the SocDem will get bored from next time. They are at 2% in the poles. Like PBP/SOL SF will take back the votes they lend them in the last election. Labour is not beholden to SF, SF never transfers to Labour after SD, and PBP/S it went independent candidate.

Labours biggest problem is SF will more than likely be in opposition again after the next election.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Really don't see how SF will be in opposition next time round barring some voting strategy disaster or a grand coalition of "Everyone but SF".

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

It's really not that difficult to understand, FF-FG-Green combined have 40+% in the latest polls whereas SF have 31%

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

oh you can be damn sure its gonna be a sf government next time around, people have had enough, i think it ll be sff myself, but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

According to the latest Sindo/Ireland Thinks opinion poll, the SocDems are doing quote well and Labour is just a Margin of Error party, There has been no "Bacik Bounce":

SF: 31% (-1)

FG: 21% (-1)

FF: 20% (+3)

SD: 6% (+1)

PBP/S: 4% (+1)

GP: 4%

LAB: 3%

AON: 2% (-1) +/- Feb/Fea 2022

Some of the smaller parties like PBP have highly geographically concentrated support and the sampling methodology which is aimed at producing a national poll may give a somewhat misleading view of the support of smaller parties. A rating of 5% seems to be the cut-off point for a party being considered a "national" party in terms of support. The problem with the numbers above is that the Independents could be a major factor in the next GE. It is, however, funny seeing FG supporters defending Labour.

Regards...jmcc

👏👏💪🇮🇪Country needs change

if SF make a hames of it they’ll join the likes of labour

here’s hoping the monopoly of FF/ FG gets busted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

This is Labour's problem in a nutshell: It once vowed to serve neither king or kaiser and now it wants a queen.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

The Labour party is an upper middle class party. Ivana has zero working class appeal. Awful choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Ballsbridge Hotel a few years ago was far from plush. Very seriously run down awaiting demolition. Hasn't reopened since the pandemic as it is now being demolished.

There's no hotel in Tipp with sufficient conference facilities that I'm aware of, if you're insistent on staying to roots.

It was bloody plush looking as we walked by

Labour my hole

my uncle was a labour councillor in cork city for years when it was labour and not sold out their working class roots by going into coalition with posh boys

elecorate doesn’t forget

last decent labour man was Jim Kemmy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Murt10

The Labour Party is a failure because Brendan Howlin completely wrecked everything for them.

He came in as Minister for the Public Service and was given power. It went to his head and he decided to use this power with giddy excitement and glee. He started attacking and slashing everything around him with unbridled enthusiasm.

There was a national crisis at the time. So he started by bringing in additional working hours for all civil and public servants. You literally had to work an extra day per month, every month, and there was no closing date when the new working arrangement would revert back when the crisis was over.

People on flexitime have to count every single minute they spend in work, and they absolutely detested the extra 1/2 an hour per day, every day, that he made them work at the end of what was already for many of them an already long day. This 1/2 hour was just to just to stand still on the clock.

At the same time, he proceeded to slash the sick leave entitlement of civil/public servants.

Under the sick leave system that was in place previously, you were entitled to full pay for a cumulative 6 months over a 4 year period. Overnight he changed this to 3 months.

Now 3 months might sound like a lot, but as people get older naturally things start to go wrong and parts to wear out with your body. You might have 2 weeks sick leave one year, a week the next, 2 weeks the next year and a couple of single days in between. Your now in year 4 and then you have something major comes up with your health. You're on 1/2 pay or pension rate of pay before you can blink. You then have to appeal against being put on 1/2 pay followed by pension rate of pay. This involves writing out an appeal, attending the CMO, getting more medical reports and really being put through the hoops, at a time when you're really not up to it.

You're sick, you may have a totally unblemished sick leave record up to that, and that little runt decides to pull the rug out from under you, just when you need it, because he can. Small man syndrome in operation.

As far as I'm aware he said or intimated at the time, that the sick leave system in the public service was being abused. Well maybe it was by some, I don't know. It certainly wasn't be me or anyone else that I worked with. If it was being abused, it was his job to police it and to crack down hard on the abusers. Not attack every civil/public servant in the country. Nobody i know would have had any problem with him tackling abuse of the sick leave system, if it existed.

However he and the Party forgot or overlooked 3 very important points

1. That a large number of civil/public servants always voted Labour. I did for years, but never ever again.

2. That civil /public servants feel that they have a civic duty to vote and they do so at every election. Not just empty promises or soundbites that they will vote. the vast majority of the ones I know vote religiously at every election and

3. That the age profile in the civil service is rising and apparently the older you are the more likely you are to vote, and the more resentment you feel at being scapegoated by him and the Labour Party. Also, as I've said, the older you are, the more likely you are to have some major health issue arising.

Fool me once shame on you, but I'm certainly not going to give you the opportunity to fool me twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

they keep electing shît leaders, Ivana is another… this Bacik bounce if it comes will be temporary…

she spent 10 years in the Seanad, won a handy by-election in ‘21 to get a Dail seat and is all of a sudden Labour leader… that is an OG right there on behalf of Labour.

she was an attendee in the Merrion hotel in contravention of covid restrictions….

its an OG on labours behalf, going for an inexperienced candidate like Ivana as a leader. She’ll resonate with the woke lot as she was advocating granting citizenship during the pandemic to everyone and anyone here practically but Labour are doomed to further obscurity during her tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Absolutely, was a firm believer they came to power in 2011 as a result of a public sector vote to ease the sting from FG's austerity measures.....instead they turned on the public sector with (and I quote a union rep here) "a gusto".

Quinn set about destroying the education system with his "not fit for purpose" mantra ,Howlin set upon his public sector serfs by slashing their conditions,making them work punitive hours for the sake of it and Kelly is remembered for turning Ireland's hotel sector into the the finest "refugee" facilitation industry in the western world!

.......can't for the life of me find their new "target audience" with Batshit at the helm!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

“Vote for me to NOT go into Government, so I can sit on the sidelines and whinge about everything without having to make any hard decisions “ would be a great slogan for your preferred left candidates.

It was a kip that hadn’t had a penny spent on it for decades. If you think that was luxury, you’ve lived a sheltered life. It is one of the few hotels in Dublin with level access to the conference rooms for wheelchair users.

• Advertisement

What did Kelly have to do with hotels or refugees?

spearheaded legislation to convert hotels to asylum reception centres without needing planning permission.

What bill or act are you referring to please?

Google doesn’t seem to remember any such legislation.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Taking a scalpel to the public sector was one of the good things he done, trouble is he didn't go near far enough

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem for the public service during the last recession was we could not afford them. The Labour party over promised to get into power. It convenient to forget that the the trioka virtually ruled the country from 2009-2013.

This problem with sick leave in the PS was that it was abused. Some considered the 10 days uncertified ( even the way you speak about it atest to this) as additional annual. Unfortunately when a core abuse the system those that really need it suffer. Because of this SL within the public service needed to be reformed. It was reformed in the prison service even before the rest of the public service because of continual abuse. Those with unblemished sick leave records should look around at the people abusing it and blame them.

Flexitime is exactly that flexitime. Employers are entitled to have regulations ruling it an enforcing those regulations. Again like SL it was open to abuse.

The reason the PS is aging is because we over recruited during the Celtic Tiger era.

Would it have been preferable for the government of the day to lay off 100k public servants to balance the books

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Murt10

I don't know if there was a problem with sick leave in the public service. I didn't see it myself. In fact, Personnel Section in my own old Department were well known to come down like a ton of bricks on anyone trying to game the system.

If there was a problem with S/L and it was being abused in the PS, then it was the Ministers job to fix it. Instead he took the easy option,and at the same time took the opportunity to show us how powerful he was. Unfortunately he threw out the baby with the bathwater. If the S/L scheme was being abused, I'd have applauded any minister who tightened it up and made it harder to for people to abuset, while ensuring that it looked after the health of the rest of the staff.

You're very much mistaken if you think you could take up 10 days off on uncertified S/L as some form of unauthorized A/L. Any S/L absence, by any member of staff, of more than 2 days had to be covered by a Dr's letter. You had to pay for this Dr's visit yourself (cost €60).

Going sick on a Friday, and being absent on the following Monday, was regarded as 4 days S/L and had to be covered by a Drs letter.

After, (I think it was) 4 days uncertified S/L, in a rolling year, you got a very strong warning from Personnel, and reminding you that the facility could and would be withdrawn. After 5 days uncertified S/L you got an even stronger letter and if you took your 7 sick days then the S/L facility was completely withdrawn from you, and thereafter you had to get a Drs letter for every single absence.

Uncertified S/L was seen and treated by my department as a privilege, and not a right.

I don't understand what you are saying about flexitime. Flexitime was being used long before any cut backs. Messing with the flexi clock or abusing Flexi is regarded as a very serious offence.

What Howlin actually did, was to increase the number of hours you had to attend by 30 mins per day, 2.5 hrs per week or 6 hrs per 4 week flexi period.

The reason that the age profile in the civil service is so old is not due to the Celtic Tiger. It stems back to a FF government in the late 1970's. Charley Haughey was Taoiseach. He decided that we, a small open economy, could spend our way out of a recession. All public service bodies were ordered to take on extra staff. Irate phone calls at a senior level were made from Department to bodies under their ageis, berating them for not taking on enough staff.

After nearly totally bankrupting the Country with this insanity, it became obvious that the recruitment drive wasn't working, and a complete Public Service Embargo was brought in. There were no public service recruitment for years after that, but those who were recruited and stayed, are all now 60 or approaching it. Many have about 40 years service, and as they are eligible for an immediate pension, are leaving or have left the PS in droves.

Revenue are the only civil service Department that I'm aware of, that took steps to prepare for the huge amount of corporate knowledge that was just about to walk out the door.

This is the relevant legislation:

It takes a bit of digging but ultimately paves the way for towns and villages to loose their hotels and be replaced overnight with asylum centres.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/si/582/made/en/print

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Weve no need for a labour party Sinn Fein will look after us when they get in free houses free education free bins Labour promised these things but never delivered Sinn Fein will get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I'm sure the working classes will return to Labour in their droves now that 'charismatic' Ivana is leader, she'll really connect with them😐️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement