Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Salahs two shots that hit the posts had gone in last night would there he calls that heeds to be rested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be honest, if it was down to me, I'd be looking to rest Salah for the Brighton game. Their in poor form and Bobby is coming back. Jota is back and Mane & Diaz can man the wings. Use Salah on 60 if needs be.

If not then, then the Watford game at Anfield in the first game back after the Internationals is probably the last chance to do it.

It might even be a case that both are needed to manage his minutes. 30 in both perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

He needs a rest .. even after you've finished with him

• Advertisement

You might however the majority of fans would be screaming he’s back givie him whatever he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I reckon we got away with one last night. Could see the goal coming, in fairness to Inter they were tireless in midfield and were besting us. Vidal and Sanchez were superb. Didn't think it was a 2nd yellow, got out of jail there. I'm delighted though, will be a wake up call for the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The ‘flagrant’ use of cocaine at football grounds

Michael, as we shall call him, believes his experiences belong to thousands.

Cocaine use, he says, began with peer pressure in his 20s and soon became entwined with life as a football supporter. It was the culture, the thread that ran from one away day to the next.

“It was just something we did,” he says. “We’d do it on the trains, on the buses. Nobody cared and you never really thought about people noticing.

“Then it started to sneak into nights out, weekends away from football, but I was lucky and never lost control with it. I saw people who did, where they couldn’t have a night out without taking coke. The same with going to the football.”

Michael, speaking anonymously to The Athletic, estimates it is five years since he last took cocaine but, as a regular follower of a Premier League club, he knows the issue has not gone away.

“Going to a game, there’ll be a good proportion (using cocaine),” he says. “On the train back, there’ll be a higher proportion. I would say that, out of the 18- to 25-year-olds travelling together, probably 60 or 70 per cent of them will be using it. It’s so easily accessible.

“It’s all become an accepted side of life and society. There’s no resource or will to bother with users.”........

Cocaine everywhere the past 20 year's, from lads in your local boozer on a Monday night to lads not been able to get through a weekend without a bag, rampant in Liverpool especially, outside of London it's the coke capital of the UK...

The Albanians run the show in London, and the scousers run the show in Pool and even far flung places like Ibiza, always have done...

I don't even bat an eyelid at coke use anymore I'm just so used to it, and that's sad how normal it is these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

As a neutral it would be mad to see city and Liverpool meet in the FA Cup final, champs league final and the league goes down to the final day. That would be some craic. Unlikely I know but stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

If the second yellow had been his first offence then it would still have been a yellow. People sometimes think a second yellow card for a challenge like that is a harsh way to be sent off but it's still a yellow card offence. First or second, it doesn't matter.

He could have gotten a (harsh) straight red for the first challenge on Thiago, and it was the kind of offence that VAR wouldn't have overturned.

The ref was shocking tho, I've seen him numerous times and can't figure out how he's a top UEFA referee.

I think that the first tackle was somewhat of an orange card. More than a yellow but not quite a red. The second tackle was a yellow at most. Maybe a bit less than a yellow. But the two combined was enough to get sent off whichever way you look at it, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just saw Neco's second goal last night.

Ooh betsy

Damn Mbappe is good. We can but dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

I'd take Madrid next round bit of revenge

Same here, PSG collapsed in a way I couldn’t imagine this Pool team doing, they had a look of Barca the night they came to Anfield. Wouldn’t fear Madrid as much as Bayern or City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Don’t want Madrid. Ancelotti seems to do well against us.

No easy games at this point anyways - maybe “easier on paper” but still challenging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah I'd like to avoid them. I fancied us against them last season and in 2018 final and those went well didn't they! They've just have something about them when it comes to the CL, they can always raise their level above what it seems to be in every other competition.

Avoid them and can't be arsed playing an English team either although that seems inevitable if we keep going through. I'd take United. Handing them another couple of hidings would be sweet.

I don't think it was a first yellow or 2nd yellow or whatever context you imagine I am imposing on it. Doesn't matter either way, the main point is we got away with a lacklustre performance with a stroke of luck just at the exact moment we needed it. Could be our season!

• Advertisement

I don't despise Real as much, now that the winker and the f*ck-face ramos are gone. As far as opponents go, would prefer them in the semi or the final though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Madrid got outplayed for most of that tie, the problem was PSG did not turn their dominance into goals. They should have been well clear of Real Madrid after the first leg. Madrid went through by hanging around, not being better. Remember this Madrid side got outplayed by PSG and their midfield in the first leg. The fact that they again had 3 players not working for the team in the 2nd leg worked in Madrid's favour. They still have a 32 year old and 36 year old in midfield and I think this showed for 150 minutes of that tie.

That said, while I don't think Madrid are as good as other teams, they are still capable of beating anyone on the night. Benzema is having an out of the world season where he is scoring for fun so he can and will do that against any team. Add in Vinicius who is dangerous on the break, it means if we do get to play them that they will be dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I will be surprised if united are in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd love to see Man City draw Bayern in the next round - of the other potential opponents, I'd be reasonably confident that Liverpool would progress.

Abramovich sanctioned and Chelsea not allowed to sell tickets going forward this season. If they make the semi-final it may mean a half empty Wembley as their fans cannot buy tickets. Interesting times ahead. Not sure how the club survives if the sanctions continue for any length of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Which Madrid?!

We have a tendency to either get knocked out by a team from Madrid, or win the damn thing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

For any information regarding the sale contact chelsea.gov.uk/ Boris Johnson 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

If they make it that far they’d be given to season ticket holders no doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Ardent

Bye bye Chelsea, been nice knowing ya. You can take your Steven Gerrard song with you to the lower leagues. Good riddance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Ardent

What's that expression.. If you lie down with dogs you wake up with fleas?

We should be raiding them for their catering team...

Ann & Carol are getting into their sixties now, only so long now we can keep them going before retirement...

Nice to see chickens coming home to roost for at least one oil club. However long it may take, this is a risk for all of them. They'll win stuff along the way though and be lauded while doing so.

There'll be a lot of crap about how the fans shouldn't suffer too. It's not their fault but they thoroughly enjoyed all the success that was gained at the expense of legitimately run clubs and paid for using illegitimately earned money so now they can suffer the consequences of the fall out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ann's contracted until 2025, but Carol can leave in the summer as a free agent. Question is, will she come without Ann?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

About 15 years too late unfortunately....City and Newcastle next please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Don't hold your breath on that, the West is more than happy to turn a blind eye to all the atrocities that happen in that part of the world.

• Advertisement

Eyes will be turning to the UAE next,

We can only dream, right? The UAE has been a harbour for those escaping with ill gotten money for a while now. Would not be sad if they either have to kick out these characters or suffer their own sanctions to turn the screw on Russia to end the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

For sure...I think the Saudis will have to invade the Algarve before the Premier League would contemplate taking action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

They should only be allowed to field pre Abramovich players, time to get Gavin Peacock and Tony Cascarino out of retirement.

I used to go to Stanford Bridge when I lived in London, have to say I always enjoyed it. The owners are just custodians, let’s remember we had our own two con men who nearly ended our club. I’d like to see new owners at Chelsea, but it’s a bit much to relish their current situation. Unlike a previous poster, I do think the fans are the ones who suffer, owners come and go, fans are usually loyal to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah, I’ve been thinking a lot this morning about H&G and how grim that time was. Fans don’t get any say in these things.

Our fans played an active part in removing te shysters from our club. Theirs actively lauded him and his sportswashing. Bit of a difference.

Their fans decided to chant his name in the time they were supposed to show solidarity against the war in Ukraine. Their fans has repeatedly shown they have very little class. There has been very little calls to get rid of Abramovich in Chelsea since he bought them titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tbf H&G were destroying the club and the fans had to try something to get them out, if H&G had brought similar success to Liverpool as Abramovich did to Chelsea, they might still be at the club, it's only because they were crap that they were drove out. Like him or loathe him Abramovich was a good owner for Chelsea, he brought massive success that the fans could only have dreamed of before he bought them. Chelsea fans know they are unlikely to get a better owner that's why they weren't actively trying to remove him.

Yip, and if they pumped a billion of their own money into the club, the fans would have loved them. It was more the falling out between Hicks and Gillett and the fact that Tom Hicks creditors forced him to sell the club than the fans that did for them. Maybe some fans of other clubs celebrated the carnage they visited on Liverpool, or what happened to Leeds, as a football fan I would have as low opinion of them as I would our fans celebrating what is happening to another great premiership club today. Just because some Chelsea fans have no class doesn’t mean we have to match them.

I'm sure you are correct that many fans of Liverpool would accept an owner such as that, you can see that now when so many are unhappy with our own excellent owners cos they don't spend their own money. However I'd give Labour voting Liverpudlians a bit more credit to ask uncomfortable questions of any owner than I would tory voting Londoners. The international Fan base reaction is more difficult to nail down how they'd react and would be far more likely to be welcoming as long as it means success. Such is modern football. Trophies are all that matter regardless of how you come by them.

For me anyway if an owner buys success for my club using funds they claimed and held onto through nefarious means, I wouldn't want any part of that and the same can be said if an Arab country bought lfc.

To be fair to the Chelsea fans though, at least those who were fans of the club before he arrived, it was much more difficult to learn about the man and his wealth back then than it would be now.

Those damn Tories, ruining good football clubs. Funnily enough, Labour aren’t that keen on billionaire venture capitalists themselves. Manchester and Newcastle are traditionally Labour towns apparently.

On a separate note, listening to some reports on Chelsea there are question marks over whether they will be able to pay player wages until the end of the season with no income and no support from the owner. This will breach player contracts and possibly allow players to move if the ownership saga drags onto indefinitely. I wouldn’t mind taking Reese James if he became available.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We currently have excellent owners, and while I have complained about not spending in the past (not the sums City and Chelsea were spending, just to at least match the spending of mid table teams), I think thay are doing a great job, but, had someone like Abramovich bought liverpool instead of FSG, at the time they would have been welcomed with open arms after H&G. Similar to Newcastle now, they couldn't wait to get rid Mike Ashley as all they had to look forward to was relegation battles or Championship football, so the new owners were welcomed as the fans see light at the end of the tunnel and possible success like Man City. I think most fans deep down don't want owners like City and Newcastle, but, that's where we are in today's world, only a select few can afford to own clubs and the vast majority of these are dodgy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement