Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Well done Stephen, fully deserved. Do players get anything for winning Player of the Week? Or is it simply a nod to recognise outstanding performances?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

well he is worthy of a HOTY on current form, so yes could be the 4th with tony dan and aussie

• Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm guessing Nowlan Park or Thurles for the league semi finals on Sunday 27th March

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

…. and the final might be in Thurles or Dublin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I don't get your logic re Gordon Bennett and need to use an expletive........? Can you elaborate.?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Gonna guess it's akin to something delboy (for example) might say....Gordon Bennett, he's good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Still no idea what you or original poster is on about….never a fan of ‘fools and horses’…..dumb uk comedy

How many points do Dublin need to win by to overtake us on score difference ?

Cahill and Cody could be a bit sneaky and play for a draw meaning Dublin are out. Tipperary still have an outside chance but need so much luck (need both Kilkenny and Dublin to lose)

• Advertisement

Dublin just have to beat Laois and hope we beat KK. Possible.

We're on +45, Dublin on -8 so would have to beat Laois by 54 points if KK beat us for Dublin to progress. Impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wouldn't be surprised if 1 or both of the semi finals are on Saturday evening for television, that weekend is the last group games in the football so all the football games are starting the same time Sunday afternoon, also no guarantee of a double header, for example if there's a Wexford/Kilkenny semi final I'd say a coin toss for home advantage is possible there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Do we really want to be in that league final 2 weeks out from championship? Serious question

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

There has been some speculation on this thread about the likely make-up of Waterford’s championship team. In looking at the possibilities, it is useful initially to attempt to identify the panel from which the team will be selected.

As far as I can make out, 29 players in all have seen game time in the National Hurling League so far. These are (in no particular order):

Shaun O’Brien, Conor Gleeson, Conor Prunty, Shane McNulty; Jack Fagan, Tadhg de Búrca, Iarlaith Daly; Cian Wadding, Darragh Lyons; Neil Montgomery, Patrick Curran, Kieran Bennett; Stephen Bennett, Michael Kiely (Abbeyside), Jack Prendergast, Shane Bennett, Michael Mahony, Pauric Mahony, Conor Dalton, Billy Power, Cárthach Daly, Darragh Lynch, Tom Barron, Austin Gleeson, Colin Dunford, DJ Foran, Mark Fitzgerald, Ian Beecher, Ciarán Kirwan.

There are five players who did not see league action but who will definitely be in the championship panel (if fit): Ian Kenny, Dessie Hutchinson, Jamie Barron, Calum Lyons  Peter Hogan.

There are four more who made appearances against Clare in the Munster Cup: Michael Kiely (Dungarvan), Sam Fitzgerald, Gavin Fives, Seamus Keating. I am presuming these all remain on the panel (Liam Cahill name-checked Keating last week when giving a list of injured players). Also, Michael Harney, a surprise inclusion in the substitutes’ list for last Sunday’s game, is now presumably a panel member. It is also possible that one or two more of the Ballygunner team have been added to the panel. Conor Sheahan was a panel member last year and one would think that Paddy Leavy deserves a place based on his club form.

All of these added up come to a total of 41, which gives an idea of the wealth of talent currently available, and the size of the task facing Liam Cahill and his selectors in even reducing this number to the match-day 26.

If all panel members were fit, I would envisage the following starting team:

Shaun O’Brien; Ian Kenny, Conor Prunty, Shane McNulty; Calum Lyons, Tadhg de Búrca, Iarlaith Daly; Neil Montgomery, Jamie Barron; Austin Gleeson, Patrick Curran, Jack Prendergast; Dessie Hutchinson, Michael Kiely (Abbeyside); Stephen Bennett.

Ian Kenny deserves his place based on outstanding club form, while Shane McNulty has been a favourite of Cahill’s from the off. I can see Montgomery filling the midfield spot for his physicality and hard running, key elements of Cahill’s game plan. It would be hard to deny Prendergast and Curran their places based on their league form. I imagine that if Calum Lyons and Jamie Barron fail to feature against Kilkenny they will not start in the first championship game against Tipperary, with their places possibly being taken by Jack Fagan and Darragh Lyons.

My match-day substitute list would be:

Billy Nolan, Jack Fagan, Darragh Lyons, Conor Gleeson, Kieran Bennett, Shane Bennett, Pauric Mahony, Cárthach Daly, Peter Hogan, Tom Barron, Colin Dunford.

Pauric Mahony was struggling to find form in the latter stages of Ballygunner’s All-Ireland run, but I expect will be included for his big-match experience. Billy Power has been used regularly by Cahill as a substitute, while Ciarán Kirwan might also be included to provide a target-man alternative to Kiely.

Anthony Daly has been reported as stating a few days ago that Waterford have the strongest 20-man panel in the country. I think you can extend that to the match-day panel, as you would be quite happy to have any of the above-named substitutes coming on during the game – and, indeed, several of the extended panel also.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

It’s an ‘embarrassment of riches’ alright !

Agree with comment on Ian Kenny (he performed consistently well through the club campaign) and Pairic Mahoney who, these days, might be more impactful off the bench.

Some weeks back, I said that only 3 teams were capable of winning the AI this year (in reverse alphabetical order : Waterford, Limerick & Cork). Mind you, I also thought that Dublin were a team on the move until they bumped into Kilkenny (as Mike Tyson said … “everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”). I don’t know too much about Clare’s prospects. Wexford seem to be gathering a bit of momentum which I wasn’t factoring in, noting Waterford might well might them in the concluding stages of the League.

That's the hard question but on the brightside it's gives more game time before the championship but on the negative side its giving other teams opportunity seeing us play

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Yes..winning a trophy would really galvanize this young team going forward into the championship..they're young..tis games they want..better than any training.. Deise Abu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Winning the league- great, losing the league and maybe picking up some injuries-terrible.

On balance though, we can’t be turning up our noses at any trophy and with the panel we have, we would be crazy not to go for it big time.

We have to win a semi final first though! Let’s not be engraving the trophy just yet.

agreed, in other years I’d say yes let’s go all out for the league but the new structure this year sees the league final 2 weeks before the gruelling round robin Munster championship kicks off. I think that’s a debacle for the managers of the 2 teams that get to the final to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

If im not mistaken i believe i saw an article at the start of the year claiming kevin mahoney paddy leavey and reuben halloran were also training with the panel. 2 of which havent seen any action due to ballygunners AI run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Halloran had been involved for some of the internal games alright but I think he picked up an injury fairly recently.

I had assumed we were playing KK today, hadn’t realised it wasn’t until next weekend and was wondering why a team hadn’t been announced.

Prunty picking up that injury obviously isn’t ideal but having had a week to recover, another week until the KK game (a game which is essentially a dead rubber from our perspective and one where we can we’ll afford to try another full back option in a challenging environment) and then another week until the league semi final, it hasn’t worked out too bad tbf.

Very much doubt we will play prunty let him rest, keep fagan in the half backs play crthack play kiely, put back in the ballygunner lads, and feck the result just get game time into everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Does anyone know, what's the story with Calum Lyons injury

Footballers beaten down in Wexford by a solitary point 0-15-0-14

Last 2 games are very tough, Home to Sligo and then Away to Cavan

I wouldn’t expect to see Prunty again until championship. Hamstring strain is 3 weeks minimum, I don’t think the league is that important that we should rush him back best let him get right for championship. He’s such an important figure and he is generally prone to a lot of nightly injuries. As someone else said give Daly or someone else a go at fullback as it’s better to have someone to slot in comfortably if needed.

Not sure what it was specifically but Cahill said a few weeks ago he expected him back in contention for the KK game

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Knee

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

In my last post here, I identified 41 players whom I thought were part of the overall Waterford senior hurling training squad. This should have been 42, as I inadvertantly omitted Billy Nolan. A subsequent poster suggested two further additions (Kevin Mahony and Reuben Halloran). This leaves 18 over after the match-day 26 has been selected. 

Over the weekend I indulged in some Fantasy National Hurling League speculation, in which I envisaged Liam Cahill deciding not to indulge in any shadow boxing with his championship squad in the league semi-final and instead sending in a team drawn from this residual 18 players. He would tell them to go full-blooded for it, with the possible reward of a place in the match-day squad for those putting in top-notch performances.

So what would this team look like? It would not include Mark Fitzgerald, who appears to be out for the foreseeable future following his nasty injury playing for the under 20s. But it would include Billy Nolan, as I am not aware of a second back-up goalkeeper in the squad. So, ruling out the match-day squad which I listed in my previous post, the following is my suggested line-up.

Billy Nolan; Sam Fizgerald, Seamus Keating, Darragh Lynch; Gavin Fives, Michael Harney, Conor Dalton; Cian Wadding, Billy Power; Michael Kiely (Dungarvan), Ian Beecher, DJ Foran; Michael Mahony, Ciarán Kirwan, Kevin Mahony.

Substitutes: Paddy Leavy, Conor Sheahan, Reuben Halloran

Extra substitutes could be drawn from those members of the match-day squad who are short on competitive minutes, plus maybe one or two from the under-20 panel.

It is quite a strong team which would probably be too good for most teams outside Division 1 of the league, and would be able to put it up to some teams in Division 1. Again, it serves to show the depth of talent currently available to Liam Cahill, and the problems he and his selectors will have selecting a match-day squad come championship time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

@Giveitfong I think your post above isn't a serious suggestion but I'll reply anyway :-)

By all means use a couple of the panelists to get a look at them on Sunday (crucially alongside some first team players) but it would be folly to send an inexperienced team such as the above to play the current Leinster champions- it would end up with a Waterford team getting routed when they should be building on the progress made this year. It would smack of hubris and make people think Cahill is listening too much to people talking about the quality of the Waterford panel, and no better crowd than Kilkenny to send a weaker team packing.

Advertisement