Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Delighted for you Benny - anyone who has been around here a while - knows your passion for golf, the forum etc.

Well deserved. A post that reminds us all , that course position and GIR are very important in golf. You can talk till the cows come home about the terrible cliché " drive for show" - but if you are not hitting greens , this game is very very hard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well done Benny. At last you got the score that we knew you could all along. Now keep it up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Played VPar for the first time ever on Saturday, have had a bit of form continuing from last year and my first two 14 hole competitions showed this.

wasn’t expecting anything but rain last Saturday but it turned out to be a lovely morning here in the midlands for golf. Started off grand, silly bogie on the first was followed by two pars and then a silly triple. Reset the head and played the next 4 holes in 2 over. Managed to play the way to the 14th hole with an even points score so finished up at +4 which should have got me second place but was beaten on a countback.

i had 7 x + scores

4 x 0 scores and

3 x - scores

Really enjoyed the added pressure of the vpar and trying to score on every hole. Here’s hoping I can keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Shot 42 on Saturday. Happy enough but it could have been so much better. Scratched the 3rd after a birdie on the 2nd, and did this by hitting both off the tee OOB. Recovered well to have 20 at the turn, got up to 35 with 4 to play so I knew I had a chance. I had left maybe 4 putts just short however. Rescued an easy par3 for a point. Then lost my drive on the next with the low lying sun. Recovered a bit over the last few holes but knew it wasn't enough with the conditions. 46 won out. Small mistakes but an enjoyable round with the weather. Pity it looks like it's about to get grim again!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Played a shotgun on Saturday. Was a nice change. First time playing on second course in a few months. Played with a really good + golfer. A pleasure to watch the consistency and accuracy. Was also nice to hit a few better than him 🤣. We had a decent score but maybe 2 shots off the win, the single bogey we had kept us out of the prizes.

so same course yesterday for a 4 club challenge. Had my mind made up I was going to take driver (it’s long course and I’m hitting it well) a long iron, probably 4, a 7 iron and 52 sand wedge. Well my putting has been very poor, but a comment about my putting from a fellow boardsie got me thinking a few weeks ago and realising my problem (well part of it at least) I’ve made changes to putting that is working.

then I’m thinking, I need a putter, tapping in with wedge is grand but I need something I’m comfortable with to coat the long ones up. Ended up taking D,6,PW,Putter.

so slight frost delay and I was out in the third group. We started on the 12 as frost clears slower on some of the shaded early holes. Quick enough round with no waiting certainly suited me. I also felt the difference on the back in carrying 10 less clubs! I need to get the trolley fixed, I’m sure it’s costing me strokes.

I played quite well. It was difficult to hit soft drivers and 70% 6 irons, but most of them came off pretty ok. I made a few mistakes, 2 3putt’s, few other bad ones also but lucky to recover from them. I need to work more on the putter.

hit a few really bad shots, one of which was a big sliced 6 iron heading for the next field on the 16th. Hit provo in case I got lucky. Playing partner tells me it could be my day when my luck is in and first ball got a lucky break rebounding back into play from trees. Pat saved. Another spiced 6 iron on 18 and I’m in the water. A reload gets stitched to 8 foot……. Miss the putt 🙄 . Then jack it down the first and proceed to 3 putt for double followed by Another 3 putt on the second. Water found again at the par 3 3rd but this time I can drop close to green….. still another double. Good start thrown away now. But I catch a lucky break on the 4th when I slightly mishit tee shot towards trees. I can’t go for green but I can get close, tap in for bogey. Solid par after overshooting the green with a half wedge on 5th and sink a 20 footer downhill with break for a Birdie on 6….. 3 more good holes. I’m going well with only 2 holes to play. Standing on 10th tee……… OB 😤 second one gets lucky break at waters edge and I can recover to make double and save a point. Par on the last to finish with 39. My best score in about 18 months, by a long way. If you’d asked me beforehand I would have said 36 should surely be in the hunt with having only 4 clubs in the bag, but now I’m feeling like 39 won’t be enough as it was such a great day for golf with perfect conditions.

well my gross was 85. Results are just in. Another gross 85 won with net 46 points……I came second. 🤯🤬😤😫

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Went out to play a few holes on Saturday, and got very little enjoyment out of it. Course was in pretty poor condition, which while not too surprising given the weather, still disappointing. Lost 2 balls from good drives due to them plugging in areas that normally woundn't plug. The greens were fantastic last year, but haven't even come close to recovering after the dug them up in October. Very slow and patchy holes all over them.

Didn't help that i played pretty shite, and still having major issues with my my push/slice. May have to leave the driver in the bag this weekend.

Ah well, there's always the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

Had 31 points off 16 over a 15 hole comp at the weekend. Was delighted to have no doubles or worse for the first time. Two pars and the rest bogeys. Very happy with that performance given I haven't had a round in almost a month between covid and a waterlogged course. Managed to squeak in a couple of short game sessions and half hour at the range so not entirely out of practice tbf. Also was playing with Conor Moore (the impressionist), nice fella and a decent golfer who plays off 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Broke 100 for the first time!

I took up golf in September and played a few times between then and xmas. Started taking it seriously and joined a club (Headfort) in January.

I played the new championship course once and loved it but it is a bit tough and I play alone so, as a beginner, I'm conscious of holding people up behind me. As a result, I've been sticking to the old course as it's a bit more forgiving.

Been playing in very poor weather up to now so it was a joy to get out on one of the sunny days we had last week. Playing alone again and not many on the course so I could take my time and not feel rushed. Got off to a dream start and birdied the first 2 holes. Up to this point I'd only ever had 1 birdie so to get two more back to back was incredible!

I was on top of the world heading into the 3rd at 2 under. I was brought swiftly back to earth when I double bogied that hole.

What followed was a steady decline and a string of doubles, triples, and a quad. I found myself getting too frustrated and falling to pieces. As is the way with golf; all it took was one pure hybrid to lift my spirits again.

A lot of damage was already done at this point so I checked the scorecard heading into the par 4 18th (something I generally avoid doing) and saw I was 94 strokes deep. I needed to shoot a 5 or less to break 100. The pressure was well and truly on and I kicked myself for checking the score.

Hit a decent drive followed by a decent enough approach shot that finished just short of the green. Told myself all I needed was a little chip on and 2 putts. I then proceeded to duff the chip about 12 inches in front of me. My heart sank. I had the exact same chip in again but this time instead of a duff, I sent it about 15 feet past the hole.

I took my time over the putt and did my best to read it as accurately as possible even though I knew it was an outside chance that I'd hole it. Put a good stroke on it and held my breath as it tracked towards the hole.

The ball was quickly running out of steam as it approached the cup and looked as though it was sure to stop right on the lip. Then, in what seemed like an eternity, the ball creeped over the edge with its last breath to finish with a 99.

I couldn't believe it. Did a bit of a fist pump and looked around to see if anyone else on the course had witnessed the absolute golf clinic I had just put on. 😂

Nobody on the course was even looking in my direction.

Didn't matter though; I was smiling the whole way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

@El Guapo! - Great stuff there! It's days like this and making that final putt that really makes you come back again. The buzz is just unbelievable.

Headfort New is a very tough track for a beginner. I played it a few months after starting and almost ran out of balls. Beautiful parkland and I must give it a go again this year.

Cheers. Yeah I'm still buzzing to be honest! Dying to get out again. I'm due to play again tomorrow morning if the weather permits so hopefully I can play well again.

The new course is definitely a tough one. I played it once when I joined first and shot 116. It almost broke me! In saying that, I'm really looking forward to playing it again soon.

My next goal is to get 3 cards in and actually get an official handicap. Along the way, If I can consistently shoot below 100 I'll be very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Well done. That kinda story reminds me of when I started many moons ago. So full of enthusiasm and real joy. Keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Grats, played the old a few times in the last week after no golf for about a month and was pleasantly surprised by the progress on the greens.

I'm off tomorrow if you want to get a card signed up aswell if the weather holds

I wouldn't worry about posting a good score for your handicap allocation, the new system will mean an improvement will be quickly shown in your official handicap.

Yeah sounds good, cheers. As long as you don't mind dragging around a newbie with you. If nothing else, you'll get some amusement out of me spending the day in the trees!

You'll get to see how bad someone can hit a ball and (hopefully) shoot in the 80's 😂

I'll message you now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

Congrats @El Guapo! Always nice to break a milestone. Now onto setting your next goal to #Break90.

Thanks. It was a great feeling.

I played again today. @dan_ep82 was kind/brave enough to go for a round with me! I didn't play too well. I couldn't buy a putt this morning at all so I was back up over the 100 mark again.

Not too disappointed though as I went through the whole round without losing a ball which is another first for me. And it was a very enjoyable round especially since the weather improved a lot compared to yesterday.

Onwards and upwards. Hopefully back below 100 again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

How is Headfort playing during the winter? Remember playing there in the summer and it was wet in parts, have some time off soon and would love a go on the new.

In general the New would dry quicker than those around the area but heavy rain will still leave it soft but not for long. I wouldn't consider it a wet course at all.

Tuesday Opens will be starting again soon enough and its a good way to play it.

Genuinely hard to believe your only playing a few short months. Etiquette, pace of play is spot on and it was a very easy round to play company wise.

Swing is class for the length of time played and the strike is savage.

Greens are still a little sandy so putting isn't exactly ideal on them, an area to pick up alot of shots going forward, same with once the grass starts growing and ground firms up for chipping. It's probably at its most difficult now with it being soft and fairly dead grass.

I hit the ball crap but scored alright. 77 for 17holes. Scratched the 4th. Drove into the trees, hit a tree on the second and third then hit two 90° right wedges had me picking it up 😂

Cheers for the kind words. I didn't play my best and there's plenty of room for improvement but overall I'm happy with how certain elements are improving. I think dialling in my distances with the new irons will be a great help. All guesswork at the minute.

To be fair, you were very unlucky on that 4th. And you kept your cool very well. I'm sure there's plenty of golfers out there that would've lost the head and thrown a club! You played good solid golf all day. It was impressive.

Overall, a very enjoyable round. I'd happily play with you again any time. Just give me a shout if you're up for a game again soon.

• Advertisement

It was difficult in the wind aswell to be fair, at times there was a club difference either way. Still I'd say go with 155yd 8i and work 10-15yds up and down from there with each club and see how you get on. You could drop into spawell aswell, they have launch monitors on their upper bays that will give you your yardages too.

Was fumming inside really 😂 Ah no seriously probably unlucky on the second shot, the rest were just poorly hit then. Can't really get too mad when the result is fair ha

Will do, probably out late next week I'll give you a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Pleasantly surprised with my round today, played away as our course was closed and ended up shooting 76 including a 7 on the index 18! Smashing round of golf and I had a feeling on the putting green that I’d go well but wasn’t expecting that score. I was absolutely piping my drives and only missed one fairway. If I can continue playing as well I’ll be in for an enjoyable year fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

25 points for 15 holes yesterday, drove the ball well with 3 wood but couldn't hit an iron to save my life. Fat and topping all day so only getting to green with 4th of 5th shot and the 2/3 putting on top of that.

Happy as only 2nd round since November.

First full 18 in my home club this year and first since boards outing in portmarnock links.

It was qualifying but tbh lots of mud balls made me think it shouldn't of been.

36 points off 12. Driving well, irons were very poor. Short game wasn't great too and I struggled to get pace of the greens.

Back out again tomorrow but not sure if the back will hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

37 with 2 scratches. Both scratches from the middle of the fairway playing 2 🤦‍♂️

Could only manage 9 holes yesterday. Very windy and a ridiculous slow 2 ball using a buggy in front made it unbearable to.go.out the back 9.

13 points.

4 pars

2 bogeys

3 scratches

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

First game back since Christmas. 23 points on a 15 hole competition (16 / 7) Was happy with the front 9, a few pars and a birdie. Back 6 was a nightmare, 1 par and 2 bogeys. Wasn't expecting much but looking forward to the season a head.

Nice trip to Portugal start of April for a week playing golf with the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Played Carne on Saturday in very very windy conditions 😲. Although I'm an hour away hadn't played the new layout, and it had been a few years since I played. What I will say firstly is, what great condition the course is in. Greens are super fast, fairways in savage condition. I'm a member in Enniscrone, so lucky enough to have been playing all along. But I wasn't prepared for the wind, or greens. 18pts off 23, and I'm even surprised I got that🙈. Course knowledge is key on this course. Realised after the round that I could have left the driver at home, only needed it on the 1st and 18th. Very tight course, but some unbelievable visual holes as well as quality holes. My lack of control with driver (albeit not terrible) got me into issues. New putter let me down, defo left 5/6 pts behind for that reason alone. But thankfully realised what u was doing wrong too late. I can't praise the course enough, gonna go back when it isn't as windy..😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Nice corner of the world you're living in. If you are only an hour drive from carne, then there's maybe only about 50 people in the world that live inside that 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

😆😆 Paddy's weekend they all come back, so population quadrupled...ya very lucky regarding courses that are still playable all year round. Thankfully I get enough heartbreak in Enniscrone that I don't need to venture to far very often.. I'll leave an open invite to boards.ie members if they want a guide of Enniscrone of where not to go DM me and I'd be happy to show ye around.. 👍🏼

Advertisement