Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Here's the Steph Curry video they were talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Hendy

X-Factor

Trimby

Fronted Up

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Catriona Crowe is a great listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I thought she made some interesting and valid points, it's just a pity she had to betray her ignorance of certain topics that are closer to home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

David Goldblatt is a reliably excellent guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Thought Ken overlooked the most interesting aspect of Abramovich's inferred opinion on the war. He seems to be against Putin. Even if his attempt at peace was simplistic he is still a Russian oligarch pledging money to those in Ukraine affected by war. The putin supporters are denying there's any civilian damage at the moment. His daughter came out against the war. RA is acting like he respects the UK government more than the Russian.

He's been called one of putins friends but he's not acting that way. I think it's interesting. https://inews.co.uk/news/russian-speaking-out-war-ukraine-sofia-abramovich-billionaires-putin-1492556

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

I think what Ken was getting at, is the the Abramovich statement was very nuanced and could be interpreted in many different ways. Russia isn't calling this a war, so his calling it a war is one thing. He didn't specifically say where or which side would receive the "nett" proceeds, whatever they may be. He has always been seen as one of Putin's "friends" so cannot see that that has changed. But as Ken also said, I think if he could have floated the Kings Road to the Maldives, that would have been done as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

Apologies if this is against the Thread rules. Have 2 tickets for tomorrow night's show amd can't make it. DM if interested. No reasonable offers refused 👍

• Advertisement

Interesting one today I thought. For me, what I didn't get what the explanation to the average person on the street as to why the price of everything is skyrocketing and overseas brands start to become unavailable. Why would everything go up massively if the "Special Operation" was going well. But it is sad that as he said there is no opposition, the country is political-less. I think that was the word he used.

I was also unsure what he means by Social Media in Russia if Twitter and FB are not widely used and the Telegram he spoke of is for journalists and activists only. What do they use there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Vkontakte

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Thought it was very good but I did wish Ken would have asked how do Russians who aren't aware of the war feel about the sudden drop in value of the ruble, shops closing, stock disappearing etc. Be curious to see if its making them suspicious of what's actually going on

Oh christ, I'm listening to Shane Horgan drone on on yesterday's pod and I genuinely feel sorry for all the people who bought tickets for the Friday show

Post edited by Cienciano on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Was there a live show tonight?

Who were the guests, anyone know?

Oisin McConville and Paul Flynn was tonight

• Advertisement

Jaysus I could do with a good kip, should have went to the Flynn show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Pod should be good today!

@martynziegler

16m

Massive news: Roman Abramovich sanctioned. All UK assets frozen. Chelsea can still operate under a special licence but sale now on hold. Club will not be allowed to sell any more tickets - only season ticket holders can go to games for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

They should give the club to the Ukraine. Abramovich is a snake. He does a lot of putins dirty work. Abramovich and putin worked together to basically take hundreds of millions off of the other Oligarchs through nefarious means.

How do you think those oligarchs got their money in the first place?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Oh no. Live show pod. I more associate it with filler around Christmas that I listen to when I'm stuck. Today a quick take on the Chelsea story would have been good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

Any idea who the guests are tomorrow?

There was a quick take on it. But like Eoin said- there's a lot for Ken to be getting his head around during a busy day for him and there's a football pod tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Was Ken actually on stage last night it was he just backstage watching the match?!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

Sorry to ask folks - tech issue - apple podcast is treating my like a monday only listener 😥 but I'm paying me dues. Any advice most welcome.

I get the same on PA so go into my email account where patron update is showing and click on that. Or pop onto their website and see "latest".

Friday's football live show was great. Even the rugby one was good craic, I'd been expecting to skip most of it.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Rugby live show was brilliant. Good humoured and none of the usual Shaggy, Trimby waffle

Bonus pod just released now...

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the cursing and drinking. In my opinion they should do a weekly “Second Captains: After Dark show which would feature heavy drinking/cursing and the tackling of very controversial topics.

Post edited by EltonJohn69 on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ken's awkward interaction with Jonathan Hill was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just caught up on some of this week's pods.

Enjoyed the sanctions one immensely.

None the less, I feel I have to say a non US Murph gangs all here?

Not for me.

(Yes for me, but my point is made).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

33 mins pod for a weekend of football isn’t very long. Didn’t find that pod particularly good .

I agree with you there. Skipped through the last 5 mins as Ken spent far too much time on the same topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

It's funny how the lads can give Eddie Howe stick but then have Michael Conlan on without any mention of similar criticism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

I've called them out on it on Twitter. You can't lecture about sportswashing yesterday and have a Daniel Kinahan money launderer on the next day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He played for Ireland three times.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good to hear them respond to the Kinahan criticism. Fair enough answer really, that they wouldn't question him on it under the circumstances. The bigger question for me is whether or not he should have been brought on in the first place though. I suppose it's a balance - is it enough of a public interest story, as an irish boxer in a title fight, to justify inviting him on? Or should there be a hardline no-MTK fighters policy? No easy answers to that one I guess, and while I'd personally probably err on the side of the latter, I can understand the former position.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah I’d be of the opinion that he shouldn’t be brought on at all regardless of public interest so long as he is associated with MTK. I know that’s not most peoples view but it should be a media blackout across the country in my opinion.

Major whiff of Eddie Howe "Let me talk about just football" from their answer.

I'm not it all buying it. A stipulation of Second Captains getting that interview would have been not to ask about MTK. You are naive if you think otherwise.

Fair enough they dont want to ask Conlan a hard question after a devastating loss but he should never have been interviewed in the first place.

By choosing to interview Conlan they facilitated MTK sportswashing.

Post edited by deisedude on

I would agree with you here. Unless they were going to address the issue.

What about having Andy Lee on then?

i think the majority of ppl would actually agree with this and the sneers at football managers while they pull this **** is actually a massively hypocritical move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I would have liked Michael Conlan to be asked why did he say being cheated out of the Olympics ultimately was a positive thing to happen to him, thereby jeopardising any future court case he could take against the AIBA in future, if corruption was proven. A moronic move in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

If the guys are watching this thread, we absolutely need a new rugby audiobed based on the Italian win against Wales in rugby this afternoon.

The Italian commentary is beautiful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Expecting Ken to lay into Lampard today. Was publicly lambasting his players yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

The main pod will be a boring rugby pod for sure with "shaggy" and the goys.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Is there any talk of the guest line up for the Live Show in London on the 12th of May?

Does anyone know how far in advance they generally announce the Live Show guests?

• Advertisement
Advertisement