Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charges for dropoff and collect to be imposed in Dublin airport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The issue is that they're taking up space designed for drop-offs. Hard to see how you haven't worked this out for yourself if you know the location.

You seem to be confusing 'the Public' with 'motorists'. They're not the same thing.

So who ultimately pays the access fees charged by DAA to Dublin Bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Who’s they? Presumably you mean the people that are dropping people off at the designated airport drop off zone? you’re trying to argue a point that you know nothing about.

Have you been reading the thread at all?

The major problem is people doing collections at the drop-off area, hanging around for 10 or 20 or 40 minutes, taking up space that is supposed to be available for people dropping off passengers.

And you’ve personally sat there and made note of every car and can categorically state that they were hanging around instead of actually dropping someone off?! Give us a break with your stupid argument, there is no issue at dublin airport,never has been and never will be. People get dropped off and collected day in day out without issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I've answered your question twice already. Will it help put things to bed if I give you the same answer a third time?

Absolutely, go for it give me the answer for the third time. I'll remind you of the actual question so you don't deflect

Typical AJR deflection,

Do YOU believe that if DAA should charge for providing a drop off pick up area then DAA should charge cyclists for locking posts, at a rate that covers their costs of admin and provision, or as usual you're just on one of your motoring vindictives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Lovely timing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Now that you mention it I've been dropped off and picked up and dropped/picked others over the years and never actually failed.

Sometimes it got a bit congested but always manageable.

Maybe we need a poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Of course it would. Problem with Irish planning it will take 20 years to complete and cost about 50 Billion.

Not so much a pole as a rising bollard maybe?

Sure, no problem: Like I said, I've no problem with paying any reasonable fee for cycle parking. Presumably, we'll also start charging for all that lovely free storage space we provide for cars in the suburbs, and we'll be towing and crushing all the illegally parked cars, vans and trucks that plague our city? We're going to need a good few car crushers, I reckon

As others have already explained on the thread, if you're dropping off, you don't hang around. You stop, the air passenger gets out, and you drive off. It's not hard to see the difference.

Maybe you'd like to go back and argue with all those people who have detailed the problems they have had already?

Bollards to you too 🙂

Cars don't get crushed for illegal parking, not even in your dreams.

Are we reaching some detente by any chance regarding the drop off?

Maybe the free quick drop off isn't the problem at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

If this is in a bid to curb driving to the airport, it might be time for a complete re-instatement of the remaining Aircoach services to full frequency or even an increase from their pre-pandemic frequency.

As per usual, we have the same tone deaf comments from the sanctimonious anti-car brigade who view motorists as a bane on the road system regardless of their motives for travelling. It borders on begrudgery when they single out SUVs with inferiority complexes and an immature outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

*NEWSFLASH* They do charge for the storage space in the suburbs. I’m sure you’ve heard of motor tax. Can’t park on a public road without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

metro is up and actually actively running, hundreds of less cars will require to go to the airport per day… thousands less car journeys per month / year.

some people me being one, have no plan B to get to the airport…thousands who live around me the same, tens of thousands in this city and suburbs also ! Why ? Because the state over decades have failed / not bothered their arses to ensure that wide reaching, suitable and efficient public transport is available to the airport, citywide…

Paris CDG…

RER

TGV

Thalys

BUS

terminals and car parks are connected by CDG VAL… a train, we can’t get any sort of metro / train to the airport yet and they have them just connecting terminals and car parks as well as their international, suburban and intercity rail services …

No to the charge until the above is righted… it’s a mealy mouthed prick artist cash grab from people that shouldn’t be tolerated… don’t spend your cash there….

Newcastle on Tyne and Manchester have Metro/Tram connections to the airports and they are not even capital cities.

Detente? Honestly, it is hilarious to see the deeply embedded self entitlement busting through, in those horrified OTT reactions at the prospect that drivers might have to pay a very small charge, Yiz don't get it, lads. Have yiz any idea of the extent of changes coming down the line fast, to make sure we don't totally destroy our planet.

Airport charge and €2 fuel is just the tip of the iceberg.

Dead right, don't spend your cash there, don't fly at all, that'll teach them.

I thought I sensed a slight movement in your position, silly me.

You won't find any horrified OTT reactions in my posts.

You don't have a monopoly on concern about climate change.

And many posters have suggested a fair and simple way of penalising the people who abuse this.

You on the other hand have taken your usual sanctimonious position to claim that motorists are "privileged" (a phrase you casually bandy about on numerous topics to demonise normal people) while portraying a position of some sort of perceived moral superiority.

I only hope for your sake your online persona is not aligned to your everyday life one.

• Advertisement

Are you sure? This suggests that the tax is needed to drive the car, not to park the car.

Regardless, it is clearly not a parking charge. No one is charged for parking in the suburbs. All the lovely space is given over free of charge, but only to motorists and only for cars and SUVs and vans.

Took a while this time, now you've gone full on "W** on Cars".

Park an untaxed car and a taxed car beside each other and see which one of them is removed.

If you think that I’m the only one who recognises motorist privilege, you’ve lived a sheltered existence. Try searching on Twitter for ‘motorist entitlement’.

Almost certainly, the answer is‘ neither’ unless they park on a paid parking bay and fail to pay.

Gardai seem to think it’s an offence and the OP in the Twitter thread is them going around an estate removing untaxed vehicles.

But I’m sure you know better than the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

A free 5 minutes for drop offs as a kiss and fly could be considered down the line but only when sufficient public transport is available from all parts of the Northside of the city at least as a start.

This is a money grab, from the start to the finish. Airports are considered money cash cows and the people using them are hammered at every step of the way. Take the security queues. No appetite to ease them in recent months. The DAA solution ramp up the fast track fee to €12.99 at peak, almost double.

So you pay your fare, they can’t get you through security in a reasonable time frame. Now they are going to fleece you for a simple drop off when there is virtually no transport into the airport for the 05:30-07:00 early wave which requires you to be arriving around 03:45-05:30 to make your flight.

The rest of the day, some PT options are available, but are often convoluted and not practical for an airport the size of Dublin.

One thing that really gets me is that some people think the airport is just happy clappy everyone on their holidaybops. It’s not.

The airport is full of people making journeys back to their home country after working hard here for months. Or Irish people returning home themselves. People heading to see a sick relative, or attend a funeral. Make an important business decision. Attend to a personal matter abroad.

We live on an island, Dublin Airport is virtually the only way off the island for most. Yes, many are going away on holidays too, and good look to them. By God I’m sure they’ve worked hard for it and paid enough tax during the year, that on the very odd journey (once a year for most) to the airport they can be dropped off at the door of the airport owned by the State and not be charged for same.

there are 2.2 million cars in the country. Most have 5 seats. The almost complete overlap between the sum of the Citizens in the Country and those who travel in cars on a regular basis is something that you will never be able to explain away.

I can guarantee you that a person using the set down area and entering the airport is not travelling to the airport as a Motorist but as a passenger.

A Strawman argument about selfish motorists can be seen for what it is. If the driver of the car was so selfish then they wouldn't be dropping the passenger travelling overseas off at the airport.

Your twisted outlook on motor vehicles prevents you from seeing this and you will continue to drag this thread off-topic with your ranting and raving.

you are now basing you’re argument on the hear say of others it would seem.

Have you ever actually been to the airport? If you have I’m sure you’ll agree you have never had an issue getting “dropped off” at the drop off zone have you? Someone sitting in the drop off zone for ten minutes, regardless of whether it’s right or wrong, has absolutely zero effect on your ability to get out of the car you are being dropped off from.

you literally have no argument here and the DAA have no basis for introducing this charge. At the end of the day they can ,and will do what they want, but let’s not try and justify it by creating issues that in reality do not exist.

I think at this stage, it is safe to say that the thread might get around to decent conversation if a certain person was ignored and allowed shout into the void. Everyone can see through what they are doing.

• Advertisement

Had to laugh at this one myself, realises he has no argument so resorts to Twitter 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

genuine question - are you serious? that is a mangling of logic so obvious it must be wilful.

In what possible way is it mangling logic. If your car is taxed you are allowed park it on a public road. If it is not taxed, you are not allowed to park it on a public road. What part are you having difficulty understanding?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you seem to be confusing the concept of 'your car must be taxed to be allowed onto a public road' with 'if my car is taxed, i am allowed park it on any public road'. this is not a tricky, subtle distinction. having your car taxed does not entitle you to park it wherever you want to.

So it’s reading comprehension you’re struggling with. No worries. I never said you could park anywhere, that would be ridiculous. Silly me thought that this much would be obvious, and in fairness, everyone else, even Renko, found it obvious. I’ll try to explain things in a lot more remedial way, that means simpler, in the future for you. Any other questions you can PM me, no point clogging up the thread. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I think some posters need to learn to distinguish between "this doesn't affect me, so I won't offer an opinion" instead of "this doesn't affect me, so I support it".

And the one or two who argue with the "this will only affect motorists, and I don't like motorists, so I support it" logic.

congratulations, i give up. it's not worth it.

Loads of people who work at the airport get lifts and are dropped at departures… I was once one all be it twenty one years ago.

A lot of staff including younger more temporary staff don’t drive and are not on public transport routes as I didn’t and wasn’t then as well as older ones who might and will be in the same situation....are they going to have to forego the guts of an hours pay to pay drop off and collection fees ? Every day ? Almost 60 euros in fees every week ?

going to be in a situation now where you start a shift you need to arrive at the airport 45 minutes before your shift..

Get dropped and walk 15 minutes from the entrance up to the terminal, walking to and clearing staff security screening, 15 minutes, 5-15 minutes to your work location….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It really should be quite easy to make staff exempt from this sort of thing. Either by showing the badge at entry, or being able to use the staff number as a form of payment afterwards.

By the same token there'll need to be a method to make sure that various other vehicles aren't charged - emergency vehicles, the postman, couriers etc.

But realistically these should all be easy enough to cater for.

This is a complete red herring. If I have two or three or four cars at a house (as many of my neighbours have) and I keep one on the driveway and store the others on the public road, I don’t pay any extra charge for the cars on the road. This is no charge for all that extra space in the suburbs taken over by drivers, space that used to be available to the community, for kids to play in or whatever. We should be taking the Japanese approach of requiring drivers to show that they have off-road storage available to them before they buy a car. Time to stop subsidising drivers with free storage space.

• Advertisement

It’s not about being right. The suggestion was made that I’m some kind of off-the-wall weirdo because I can see motorist entitlement. I’m simply clarifying that I’m not the only one. People need to open their eyes and see what is going on all around them.

The only strawman around here is your point about overlaps. Of course, most people will travel by car from time to time. Just to avoid any doubt, I own a car, I travel by car, I’ve done airport drop-offs and pick-ups and I’ll probably be doing them again. The discussion isn’t about demonising people for travelling by car. It is about motorists making a very small contribution to the cost of providing and maintaining the facilities they use.

One person sitting in the drop off for ten minutes - you’re right, that has little or no impact. Ten or twenty people sitting in the drop zone for ten or twenty or thirty minutes, and the drop zone is not fit for purpose. It is no longer available as a drop zone.

Hilarious how you try to add in all the parts of the journey that already exist today to try to make the problem seem bigger. Perhaps employers at the airport need to work with the airport to make arrangements for their employees if this is a big issue. But who gets dropped and collected from work EVERY day? Who has time to drop someone to work and collect the person from work EVERY day? What an awful waste of resources, having a car doing four journeys a day, just to save someone the dreadful indignity of getting a bus.

should and the DAA as anyone whose ever worked up there will tell you are not often easy bedfellows..

As has been pointed out to you, but you refrain from having the will to attempt to understand…..not everyone in the city / suburbs can get a bus to the airport…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Is this happening at the moment though?

Has there been a recent spate of people missing flights because they couldn't get dropped off in time?

Are there regular queues for cars dropping folks off but no room to pull in?

Has the situation become so unmanageable that they simply have to take action and, if so, what other measures were tried before they resorted to the one that also happens to mean they have a new revenue source?

Because I haven't seen or heard anything of the sort. It looks like DAA are trying to fix a problem which doesn't exist, when in reality they're sticking their hand in your pockets and rifling through your change. The fact that they're hiding behind "sustainability" as a reason makes it even more odious.

If you can get a lift to the airport, you can get a lift to the bus to the airport, which in the vast majority of cases will leave the driver with a shorter journey, and will leave the passenger with direct access to the terminal..

• Advertisement

And there you have it again, the ‘othering’ of anyone with a different view, anyone who doesn’t conform to the traditional thinking.

Advertisement