Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling… ok to ask for more pay??

Options
  • 17-02-2022 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

im working for a recruitment agency in a company on a one year contract. I get little more than minimum wage and I’m sure the agency are paid a good bit more for me. I am struggling to make ends meet. Was just wondering if it’s acceptable to ask the agency for a pay rise? And how would I go about wording it? Or is it rude and wrong and should I leave it… been there 5 months of the year so far.. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

There is no real right time frame to ask or not to ask in my book. If you have consistently achieved targets or have completed a big project then get all your ducks in a row and use statistics to prove how you improved business performance or efficiency. Asking for a rise requires you proving why you deserve it. Be prepared to take no for an answer if it comes along, but be settled in the knowledge that at least you got an answer you sought. The other option is to offer to take on more responsibility for more pay to add to what you already are doing. Maybe you could align these with your ambitions by stating you want to stay with the firm. Also have other roles that are out there summarised and links to show what others are paying. Be cognisant of your weaknesses as well, in case they come back and say " we cant till you improve xyz". Hope it goes well if you do it and remember you dont ask you dont get!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Marymoore

Thank you for your advice. Just to point out, I’m working for a company but the agency got me the job. The agency have no idea if I’m good or bad at the job and I have no dealings with them, they just pay my wages… but I don’t want to ask my company for a pay rise because I’m sure they pay a lot for me. I want a pay rise from the agency…

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Maybe have a feedback conversation with your manager, get some feedback in writing and go back to the agency

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The client dictates the rate of pay. If the rate of pay is just over minimum wage just ask the agency if they have another job available that can pay a little more (they might not be happy to offer you one understandably, though.)

There is now shortage of staff everywhere so your chances of getting another job with better pay are better than ever.

i think the client pays the agency a lot more than the agency pays me… I just want to narrow the gap

also why is there a shortage of staff everywhere? I never knew that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hit the agency for more. From my experience in construction sector, there was certainly room for haggling in the rate. I'm going back abit but I went and did some construction site Engineering work and was told the rate was 17.50 per hour. I told them I wanted 20 per hour and got 19.50 in the end.

I'm sure they have a rate that they can go up to for it to still make sense for them and I doubt they offered that straight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

That's irrelevant. Of course they do as they provide hiring, weekly payroll service etc. That's between their client (the place you work for) and them.

But the bottom line is they won't make a separate agreement with you to pay you more.

You need to speak to your manager at the place you work now, but unless you are their only employee paid through agency, chances of rise are super low.

Just being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do not say a word of this to the manager at the place where you work.

As an agency worker you should only discuss things like this with your employer, the agency.

Just tell them you want more money because you have now learned the job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Here is a shocker for you, that is the entire point of the agencies existence - to make it's owners as much income as possible just like your objective. It's up to you to negotiate a better package with your agent and unless you are a third country citizen, you are free to pack up and move somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭893bet

Agree.

Unless there is a chance of being taken on direct on a permanent basis by the company.

• Advertisement

Op here. Thanks all. Just an update- I asked the agency for a pay rise and they said it’s not in their hands at all that I need to ask my manager in the company! I didn’t ask them yet but I had an interview and got offered a job in a similar field paying a bit more. The problem is the job is a 2 hour drive each way so any extra salary will be taken commuting.. can I use this to negotiate a higher salary in the company? Or could I ask my manager in the company if there’s any chance she could hire me directly so I could get more pay?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

"Give me more money or I'll take up a job somewhere else"

"Ok, best of luck in your new position"

"...uh-oh"

By all means, talk to your manager about a raise, but don't bring up another offer if you're not prepared to take it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

It would want to be €250 a week better to pay for the fuel and extra maintenance.

Never mind the toll on your health.

A 2 hour commute each way, every day?? That's 4 hours driving! Madness, the difference in pay would want to be substantial for me to jump jobs particularly with the cost of fuel , that's not going to improve anytime soon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Of course it is up to the agency, it's there client! So now they expect you to be their sales and relationship manager as well... If it were me I'd start a job hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Go look for a better paid job is my answer. There is alot of jobs with no qualifications needed paying significantly more than min. Wage. Manufacturing and construction are paying north of 15 p/h and closer to 20 p/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

No way it's appropriate for an agency contractor to ask their client for a raise. The only answer you'll get will be a stunned silence followed by an instruction to talk to the agency.

If you think the current job values you, sound them out about coming on as staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This .

Read your contract with the agency. It most likely explicitly forbids you from having conversations like that with the client.

Look closer to home for a job. If you've a decent relationship with your manager you could say you asked the agency for a payrise considering the rise in the cost of living, but 'they said to talk to you'. Let me him take the hint.

The company could hire you directly but would have to pay a fee - 10-15%? But, there was a reason they went with a more expensive temp rather than direct - do you know why? Are you working on a project?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Its simple: Do you have any leverage at all?

Ways to increase leverage: Make sure the company know how good you are. Make sure you get credit for all you do. Make yourself irreplaceable.

Ignore any talk of not speaking to your manager etc - do what it takes to make it known how good you are (but don't go into salary specifics if its in breach of contract).

Using leverage: Let them know you are planning on leaving. Threaten it. Let them know you are looking for other work. Ideally - do some interviews and know your true value.

If you can do the above without sounding arrogant then you will get more. But you will not simply get it by being meek or telling them your reason is you are struggling. But you might just be in an industry where they don't care and you can easily be replaced - in which case you need to go looking anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

sorry - missed this reply.

The agency are giving you the run around. The will just give excuses until they need to take action. They will only need to take action when someone is about to quit and it costs more to replace them. In an agency situation they can do whatever they want. Take a haircut on their own rate, go back to the client on your behalf etc There are lots of ways to resolve this - but they need to be motivated to do so (i.e. having to find someone as good as you, or will lose face with the client etc).

So yes, one play is to by all means tell them you have another job offer. Don't go into the extra costs incurred and tell them you will take it (but in this play you might need to actually be prepared to take it..). Ideally tho you will have done a bit more groundwork ahead with your direct manager to let them know how valuable you are.

For now maybe you could let your manager know you are considering this offer and get them to put pressure on the agency to retain you? Again tho - do not go into the details of the extra costs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Agree with this.

OP you are 5 months into a one year contract, maybe nearer the end of the contract would be the time to let the company know you are looking for a more permanent post should one become available. Temporary/contract staff hired through an agency are usually needed to manage a special project or cover maternity leave and seasonal workloads. Also, you might want more work through that agency and could negotiate a better rate before you take another contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Honestly, the Agency is your employer and they are talking crap!

Say thanks but I am leaving (look around for a job) having secured new employment.

It is their headache to get someone into that job not yours.

2 Hours commute is crazy and for minimum wage almost? Not a chance in hell.... get a better job now!

Advertisement