Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Fair enough, any title that might the point that "war has never been so much fun" should probably be delayed, especially if they are marketed to a younger cohort

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, that sounds fantastic.

I'm not a major fan of the genre, but I do own a japanese copy of Turtle in Time for my Super Nintendo, definitely going to get this in physical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Insert obligatory, "Konami make video games???" snark 🤓

That's some serious package though, pretty impressive. Hopefully the performance and stability is OK (and the older games survive nostalgia)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I can tell you that as a kid my friends and I had a ton of fun playing TMNT fighter on the Megadrive

I can also tell you as an adult very into fighting games that Modern FG players figured out in that game Casey Jones tatsu (spinning move) is like 99% invincibility frames, is totally unbeatable and in no way should have made it into the final release of a game 😂

It's funny seeing old stuff taken apart by modern knowledge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

40 dollars? FFS Nintendo.

I have most of them on ROMs. Grand to play for a couple of minutes before you realise theyre a bit sh1t and dated. Like a Streets of Rage parody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

My excitement is rooted in the fact that we're both getting the Streets of Rage like games, or side scrolling beat em ups, or "conveyor belt" fighters

And the actual Street Fighter 2 esque fighting games. Good retrospective on the latter here:

Charginf 40 quid for 30 year old games is peak hype insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

In what way is Nintendo to blame for this price? I don't quite follow why it's their fault in this case.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ach, it's $40 for a collection of 13 games presented in a wrapper to make them playable on modern hardware with minimal faff. For folks who're into the games that's about $3 a go. Which is better pricing than we were getting on the Wii shop for old games. Plus, for those who are particularly interested, the Japanese versions are also included.

If it's not for you, that's fine. But I'd argue that this is one of the more reasonable collections of old games as things go - and the fact that the Konami of 2022 is putting it out is quite the surprise.

I mean, I'm not buying it either - nostalgia doesn't hold up for me for most collections of older games like this, and mainly what I still recall fondly of this series is the soundtrack. But I'm glad it exists for folk who do want it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

They need to start the price high so when they drop it to the "real price" of 60% off during sales it will fly off the virtual shelves

You should never buy these at launch imho

We can but hope, and recall that this was a game that came out to tremendous review scores and lots of criticism from the British press.

Now I want to play Cannon Fodder... I have it on the Megadrive, Snes and I think the Jaguar...

Cannon fodder with a mouse on the Amiga was the OG experience tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A moment of silence please for Jools and Jops.

Ahhh, the hours I wasted spent, back in the day, trying to keep my first few boys alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Preach! I can’t see how playing Cannon Fodder with a joypad would be any craic.

That said, as an Amiga kid who only made the console transition later in life, I must now admit that holding up on the joystick for most platformers instead of having jump buttons was a traumatic experience.

I played it on a host of systems, but never had an Amiga, back in the day.

I had it for my PC, back in the mid-90's, so was able to have mouse-controlled military madness as it should be.

I love mouse games. Lemmings is still an absolute masterpiece.

Mario Kart 8 DX Booster pack 1 (2 cups or 8 tracks) is downloadable. Not playable yet, think it unlocks around 23:00 or midnight Irish time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I've just played the first new cup.

I know they're mostly old tracks, but do they seem sort of...empty? I mean the stuff around the track, there seems to be noticably fewer characters watching the race and less going on than on the original MK8 tracks, which were all beautiful.

Is it just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Len_007

I think there's a degree of truth to that. In the fly by (with different angles of the track) at the start of the race I noticed some seriously low poly toad's and Yoshi's, thankfully on when on the starting grid they looked back to normal.

I felt the Ninja track (is it the only brand new one?) had the best design ideas, while the others were very average.

Looks like they've ditched the Anti Grav aspect too. Still, hard to complain for the value that it offers with that price point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I really enjoyed the new additions. The ninja track in particular is great, definitely loads of shortcuts to discover there. Pretty sure it's new, doesn't have a console next to it in the name so I'm presuming so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not sure how it'll play, but seems Hogwarts Legacy is coming to Switch.

Ninja Hideaway is from Tour but strangely doesn’t have the “Tour” tag.

I’ve never played Tour, and the GBA and DS courses are so far removed from memory, they feel like net new courses.

Overall a great start to the Booster Packs imo.

Only a small few retro courses got anti-grav in the past so it’s not unusual.

It's from the android and ios freemium-model mobile game, as are the Tokyo Blur track and Paris Promenade.

Nintendo are the master recyclers!

The Golden Dash Cup is set to see the return of Paris Promenade from Mario Kart Tour, Toad Circuit from Mario Kart 3DS, Choco Mountain from Mario Kart 64, and Coconut Hall from Mario Kart Wii.

Meanwhile the Lucky Cat Cup will see Tokyo Blur from Mario Kart Tour, Shroom Ridge from Mario Kart DS, Sky Garden from Mario Kart Advance, and Ninja Hideaway from Mario Kart Tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

OMG! Switch Gets FOLDERS! Nintendo Switch Version 14.0.0 Update TOUR! (GROUPS, BABY!)

At looooooooong laaaaaaaaast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's a bit clunky, but it's good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Holy crap my ears exploded.. even hurting my ears at min volume 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's not on the Home screen though (unless I'm missing something) which is a bit disappointing.

• Advertisement

The folders are handy, I just slotted my Shmups into one of them... turns out I have an awful lot of Shmups in my collection...

Advertisement