Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Russian propagandist gives his opinion of progress

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Most Russian propaganda being pumped over the Russian airwaves about the US using biolabs in Ukraine to kill Russians

Agreed. US is increasing its capacity though with a big plant in Arizona (announced 2020, IIRC), which will help.

Labor shortages are delaying construction however:

The Russian military must be bricking it - even the conventional soldiers. They know they are sitting ducks in their vehicles, not up against poor Ukraine, but NATO backed Ukraine with lots of goodies at their disposal. Put yourself inside the shoes of a Russian soldier sitting in a tank... Damn, it's not a comfortable feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭jaymla627

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Putin is KGB old guard. And the rainmakers in the Kremlin are pretty much all old guard KGB as well. Like latter day Soviet Union, these men are old now. The country is run by mendacious old spooks.

With the FSB leak (confirmed as genuine by Bellingcat) there's enough evidence that the new generation of FSB / SVR / GRU men may well have decided their time is up, and are waiting to Brutus Putin and circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Russia and Ukraine are critical sources of neon gas and palladium that are used to produce semiconductor chips.

The U.S. neon supply, which is used for lithography processes for chip production, comes almost entirely from Ukraine and Russia.

Russia produces neon, a gas that’s a byproduct of steel manufacturing, which is then purified by a Ukrainian company. The price of neon shot up 600% the last time Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I've never own an apple playstation or an Xbox. These are just pointless entertainment gadgets. I'd be more worried about the price of servers and switches, actual hardware used for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Vitoria Nuland in a senate committee has admitted that Ukraine has biological labs that she is worried that "research materials" may fall into Russian hands.

Just because the Russian scumbag government tell lies, I wouldn't forget the US record on honesty either. The fact they are denying so much worries me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What is a biolab? Does it mean something specific? Or just a lab where biological experiments take place like in every university in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

'We (Ireland) need to avoid getting up on a high horse ourselves as we respond to Russia's actions.'

We're rattling our fisher price sabre despite not being in NATO ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Older guy with the glasses is asking some great questions i.e. along the lines of "what the hell was even the point of the invasion?".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭relax carry on

So is Boris comprised himself or is it just there's so much Russian money in London that he can't enforce stronger sanctions without damaging the UK economy even more after the self inflicted disaster of Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If that's how annoyed they are at the propaganda figures, I can only imagine how pissed they'll be when the hear the actual losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Hopefully the other delegates laugh hysterically when they hear that joke , except it's a sick joke unfortunately ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

raging i wont be getting my hands on the new model of the below

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Any finance types understand the currency markets? Every day this week the ruble spikes about 30% when US markets open, before dropping again very quickly. Is this a Russian central bank defibrillator on a dead currency?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Looks like Three mobile are going to pull their sponsorship of Chelsea too .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

'the hope dies last' ('Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt'). each day they are hopeful

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement

Apparently they scrubbed information from the State Dept website too. There was a long lecture article pooh poohing it all in Foreign Policy a few days before the Nuland-Rubio exchange. Not entirely convincing, TBH. Didn't deny the existence of the labs, but offers reasonable explanations for their existence and activities, IMO. Notably more ink was spent debunking the theory than talking about the labs.

Basically amounts to "he said, she said" though and who you choose to trust. What concerns me is if the labs are all Level 1-2 except for one Level 3, why are they so concerned about the materials contained therein? The Russians know how to handle such materials. Is it conceiveable that one or more of these labs was doing things it shouldn't been doing? The Russians could put something in there and then go 'a ha look what we found!' We'll probably never know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How so? By not accepting the nonsense peddled by Lavrov et al? What do you propose we do instead, declare that we are impartial and both sides have good and bad points?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Their eastern provinces are lost. They've been fought over back and forth for the last ten years, on top of a sectarian emnity brewing for decades. The Ukrainians tried to keep it and viciously with it, but failed, or at least stalemated. The Russians took it just as viciously. Personally I'd leave them with it and rehome those who wanted to be Ukrainain. It's a shítshow, leave it to putin. He'll come to regret it, as will those who don't want to be Ukrainian. Crimea is also game over. Lost to Russia and not coming back any time soon

As for Ukraine itself? NATO's offer of membership has a long waiting time and was more political than actual. EU membership ditto, but that is a less bitter pill that the Kremlin will have to swallow, as it's also down the line, so they can spin that to their subjects more easily. Before this war it was even further down the line. Ukraine was an economically stunted ex Soviet corrupt little nation on the edge of Europe with some dodgy politics and a civil war going on, where they weren't covered in glory either, and yes they had a fascist problem. That's undeniable unless we're drinking the blue and yellow avatar Kool Aid. It was reduced in the last decade, but it is still there. That needs to be excised like the tumour it is and by Ukrainians. And well the majority of Ukrainians know it and I firmly believe want it. Their dwindling political support shows this.

Ukraine now has enormous worldwide attention, support and good faith, when a couple of months ago it was "where?" for many, if not most. Now Twitter is lit up with newly minted geopolitical commentators on Ukraine and the toos and fros of their recent past. That support and good faith will rebuild that nation and keep a beady eye on any corruption or nazi shenanigans or support will surely slacken. This war horror will be the making of that nation in time, but like all births it will be and is proving to be terribly painful and bloody. In many ways I would see this as their "civil war", that terrible birth pang of many nations. But it will come out of this better and with a lot more practical, political and economic help than before and a much renewed sense of nationhood.

And yep Russia won't negotiate in good faith, but they'll have to negotiate in practical terms. There's no coming back now as things stand. The Bear may have arisen, but in the eyes of the world and soon enough her own people it has proved to be arthritic, slow witted and out of date and the world's politics and banks and corporations and public opinion have kicked it hard in the soft parts. Stick a fork in Russia, it's done. Fúcked, until Putin and his like are a memory. And they know it. The jig is up and their autocrats are on the back foot and that's the greatest leverage against them. More than any anti tank rocket or bullet that unlike their cannon fodder conscripts they know they'll never have to face.

My 2cents anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They're all practical efforts, changing a road name isn't. EDIT Ireland sending our peacekeeping forces to Poland with humanitarian and medical aid etc would be a far better use of our resources(never mind some of our bloated NGO's) and actually useful to the crisis unfolding. Changing a streetname is petty windowdressing. Makes Joe Duffy listemers and the rent-a-mob happy, but little else.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

I dunno.. the PC-9's are looking more and more like a credible threat to Russian forces by the day

And most of that other than keeping the weapons coming is about as workable and dangerous as a NATO no fly zone. They sound like great ideas, but that's all they are. The Ukrainians have pretty much zero hope of retaking Crimea and Donbas, not without overt western help, and that's not going to happen unless the Americans have hacked their nuclear deterrent and shut it down. Ukrainians are in a fight to the death for their major cities against much larger forces that as we have seen care little about casualities, including their own. The very notion of a counterattack at this stage is in the realms of fantasy and wishful thinking. IMHO this war will not be won by bullets and missiles, on either side. It'll be won beyond the Ukrainian nation by sanctions, those weapons and Russia seeing their goose is cooked on all sides and internally and that's already in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Maybe - he's been planning this for years - I think covid "ending " followed by an energy crunch was his signal to go ... Maybe if covid hadn't happened he'd have gone earlier ..

Another Trump regieme could have been a god send - he wasn't the most unifying of figure in NATO terms ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

"Airbus Defence" producing Stingers in Germany

Go figure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

We don't believe any Russian propaganda, thanks. If it comes from Russian I just assume it is lies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement