Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates [RTE 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not the adjective I would use, for most of us the noun, schadenfreude would be more apt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I thought Tramore was !!!

Freddies boi !! 😁

"Tramore Amusement Park is an absolute Must to visit. A fifty acre wonderland situated just 6 miles from Waterford City" 😲 🤔

Anyway, good to see the authorities are chipping away at her....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

I think both competed for the title, I seem to remember Courttown and indeed Bray before it were ahead in terms of amusement parks, Slot machines etc, but its so long since I've been in either to be honest 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

There may have been a touch of sarcasm to my post!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Financial matters would not be my strong point but if people were able to pay this woman €35,000 to €60,000 to help with their mortgages then how did they get in trouble in the first place?

And did they know they were transfer the money to Belgium and Germany?

A lot of them borrowed it, and even if they paid the amount they gave her off their mortgage, it still wouldn’t have got them out of the debt they were in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I don't think a lot of the victims were in imminent danger of repossession. We see in this country where a payment is being made in line with income then courts just won't repossess. It doesn't happen. I've no doubt though that they must have been under huge stress at the time and Carey is certainly guilty or criminal activity.

How many of them have actually lost their homes since they signed up with Carey? Some of the cases were just bizarre. Especially the bidx1 shop in Louth.

I'd imagine their monies are gone at this point and all they can do is engage with their lenders again. If they are making an attempt to engage and pay what they can afford they'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,293 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lax evictions is why the average mortgage in this country is one of the most expensive in the EU due to no competition, typically €180 a month more. A bank would need their head examined to come in to this market with almost zero control over the asset they are lending against.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40804356.html

• Advertisement

Well well, Catriona has been busy selling off assets.

The Irony of her using an Auction website, already featured in this Saga.

The article states she's selling, I'm curious if it's not a vulture fund selling, very rare and unusual to auction a private home with a Tenancy in situ, I would have thought 🤔, but more developments...

Post edited by Dempo1 on

The article says EBS are thought to be the seller. Which makes more sense.

It's looking like a repossession sale which if true, both extraordinary and Ironic, looked at the property on the auction site, not quite the Grandure I had expected albeit, clearly not her main residence . Curious too the legal firm acting for the vendor.

I wonder did EBS make the move when all of this came to light to ensure the asset couldn't be frozen. She is unlikely to fight it.

At a guess and assuming it's a repossession sale , this would have taken months if not years to reach this stage but I suspect recent publicity , expedited matters . Its gone way beyond fighting.

You couldn't make this up, She's spent that last couple of years , hoodwinking people into trusting her to resolve all their mortgage woes and all the while, facing repossession herself , it's just beggars belief 🙄

She always said she was an expert in insolvency in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

A lot of them didn't borrow it. Only like 2 people of the number on RTE stated they borrowed money.

Many didn't want to be identified...wonder why (tax man)

Perhaps they are embarrassed to have been taken in by a con artist, perhaps they feel people will judge them for being in trouble with their mortgage, perhaps they think idiots will speculate about their motives.

Pussyhands these poor people were targeted by an unscrupulous con artist who targeted them because they were desperate. You don’t need to be a knob everyday, there isn’t always an ulterior motive to someone not wanting to be identified in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Very well said couldn’t put it any better, only by saying you walk in my foot steps you only know hardship and sorrow.

There's too many cute hoors in this country trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes.

If you're going to take up the offer of a crook who'll claim to knock the mortgage in half just like that. Did they not google her name? Did they not google her company? Did they not get angry after months and months of the delays and lies? Did they go to the guards? No, they didn't. Because they knew they were engaging in dodgy dealings.

Did you even look at the lad in the shop? He took out a mortgage to buy his parents shop and house...why? Where's that money gone???

Another example of the type of person is one of the people who didn't want to be identified...he had inheritance money which he used and he said it wasn't his money! WTF? It was his money ffs.

These people weren't paying ANY of their mortgage for years!

When Carey told them the property was in her name and they were still getting letters from their original mortgage provider....what did they do? They rang Carey! And they didn't ring their original mortgage provider to find out the truth!

These people were scammed, but the number of genuine people hard done by in this case is low.

I'm sorry but there's no such thing as a free lunch. Pay your mortgage. If you can't pay your mortgage, you break the terms and conditions you signed up for, thus you need to lose your house. Banks are not the scum they're made out to be. It takes nearly a decade to repossess a house so banks will always work with people. Worse thing you can do is just ignore the bank.

There's a reason people with mortgages in Ireland pay the highest rates in Europe, because we have a large number of people here who think they should be able stay in their property when they don't pay what they've agreed to pay!

I really don’t see what your thought process is on this. From what I saw/read, there was one “cute hoor” and a lot of desperate people.

I doubt many people choose to fall into arrears on their mortgage, and I believe they were unable to make repayments rather than choosing not to. The parents who sold their shop have every right to keep whatever they were paid by the son for the shop, it was their life’s work. After the sale, the son was the owner and it was his responsibility to make payments on the mortgage. My understanding is that due to the failure of his business during the recession, he fell into arrears.

A lot smarter people than those in the programme have lost money to con artists, Bernie Madorff took money off smarter people than you and I. These people held out hope because CC was convincing and seemed trustworthy. Looking back, I’m sure they feel stupid, bad enough to have lost money, then to have clowns judging them for trying to hold onto their house by whatever means they can. No wonder they didn’t want to be identified.

Its also worth noting that banks/funds have sold properties for much less than the mortgages owed on them and done partial write offs. CC portrayed herself as an intermediary, was convincing, introduced a “lawyer” to add another layer to the con and give it more “legitimacy”, so some desperate people thought they were grabbing a lifeline, most of use wouldn’t blame them for that.

I agree that there has to be some hazard to taking a mortgage out, and if you don’t pay, yes the property should be repossessed. But these people thought they were buying back their property at a price lower than the outstanding amount on their mortgage meaning lower repayments that they would be more able to manage. I’m not sure why you think that is wrong, your ire should be directed at the con artist rather than the victims.

I wonder how many of these victims went to the guards and made complaints.

Very hard to take them seriously if they didnt.

I don't disagree with your valid points , my own disbelief stems from the absurdity of what CC was allegedly offering . It's not often discussed but even if CC managed somehow to purchase these properties (always unlikely) the homeowners would still have Been responsible for any shortfalls and legal expenses incurred by the lender. In essence, if CC miraculously managed to purchase these homes and even more miraculously create new mortgages for the homeowners, not only will they be back to square one ,unlikely to be able to afford repayments but they'd also have substantial legacy debts payable to original mortgage provider.

It is Conservatively estimated those involved in protracted mortgage arrears and repossession cases ,run up anywhere from €5k up to €10k in legal bills and this not including if price achieved on sale of property falls short of their actual mortgage debt further debt remains to be paid. For example if a distressed mortgage holder has a mortgage of 200k , house repossessed, sells for €180k , the original mortgage holder still owes €20k along with possible arrears, this a small example, but imagine someone owing €300k / €400k 😳

As I've said previously, it's often assumed if a person looses their home through repossession, all their debt magically dissappears, it certainly does not. Notwithstanding all of this , some of the victims were certainly in their late 40's , some older , how they honestly expected to repay a new mortgage with CC from scratch is beyond me, some would be in their 70's by the time anything CC generated, matured.

I can accept people were desperate, Gullible and vulnerable but the scheme was so far fetched it was quite unbelievable and this aside from the numerous red flags , visible from a mile away.

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Being desperate doesn't excuse people, sorry.

The way things are in this country, it's extremely hard to get repossessed. I know people who have been in massive debt, unable to mortgage and they've gone through the PIA arrangement.

To get to the stage these people did, took real ignorance. They would have had to have not corporated with their bank at all, not paid a cent.

I might be desperate to get some home heating oil. Does that mean it's ok for me to buy fuel from someone who knocks on the door who's offering me fuel for 50% less than the market price which means it must be stolen?

It may not excuse it, but it goes a long way to explaining it.

Perhaps a bit more thought is needed on your choice of analogy, you might be the only poster who thinks the victims of CC were someway involved in stealing their homes.

There's no excuses dude.

If I take out a mortgage, don't pay a cent for years and then this Carey woman comes along and tells me she'll be able knock half the mortgage off, asks me for cash payment only for a deposit, tells me time and time again that contracts will be out in the post, they'll be signed, it's in her name for months and months and months, that my "old" mortgage provider is still sending me letters saying I owe them money but I still side with Scary Carey? Then I don't deserve a lot of pity.

These people lived mortgage free for how many years? Carey scammed them, but there's only a very low number of people caught up in this that I'd be having any pity for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Advertisement