Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Internet Banking - it's awful.

• 10-03-2022 4:01pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I can't access it because the sms verification codes aren't arriving. Applies to both mobile app and the pc based version.

Mobile is with Eir incidentally.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Just checked mine there via my laptop, and my mobile is with Eir also, SMS arrived to verify online, got into my account ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Most people having no issues with that. Try to see your phone settings or antivirus if there's something what blocks the messages. Contact Eir and explain, maybe they can help. Google for solutions for your type of phone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I use the app and pc based version regularly. Nothing has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

• Advertisement

Do you have full bars of reception? Far more likely to be your phone network than AIBs app.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well something did…. And these days your chances of knowing what did is not very high. If it were a general problem with the app you’d find plenty of complaints.

What type of phone do you have? How old is it? Have you got the latest version of the OS and all patches applied. Faulty software upgrades generate attention but discontinued ones not so much as most people have already moved of it.

I found the issue.

My phone decided that AIB was a spam contact and directed their SMS directly to the bin.

Problem resolved. I'm slightly embarrassed.

Good, that you're feeling embarrassed. Many people wouldn't. And this is the difference between a decent human being and not. I have worked in customer services over 10 years and seen every day people blaming others but not themselves, overreacting, not checking for solutions but focusing to expressing their anger. That's promising. Hopefully, next time you won't overreact and instead of blaming others will check your side first. That's indeed is a very good skill - to not overreact and focus to problem solving.

Glad it works now! 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭caddy16

Anyone having issues with the AIB app, tried deleting and reinstalling but same issues. Can take 5 mins plus to log on, constantly looping back to entering PAC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

So you haven't even used the app and it's awful? In my experience AIB have far and away the best internet banking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Agree, have had to phone AIB three times to get it working. It’s a pain. Personal accounts.

as for business credit card authorisation it required uninstall reinstall reset and try again, then a phone call to sort it out, worked for a month, then had to re do all this again.

Could related to outdated smartphone, need to check for a new Android version. Or outdated app itself. Maybe there's an internet security solution in the device which is blocking push up notifications? Or maybe the AIB app notifications are disabled? Most likely it's an awful computer illiterate user, not the app itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭caddy16

Seriously an awful computer illiterate user wtf.......Look at the ratings of the AIB app. If you ring their 24 hour banking number your hear an automated message advising customers to delete and reinstall the app, which I've done numerous times. So maybe it is the app itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭tanko

Maybe AIB are a joke of a bank and don’t give a damn about their customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've a new phone and I'm perfectly computer literate. The app is crap and the website not much better. Half the time the website can't send the authentication to the phone. When you do get through the site is much worse than the likes of Ulster Bank.

The app is hit and miss.

So far so good for me, but I should knock the wood hoping I'm not jinxing myself now. If I don't get a message on the app, I switch from wifi on to 3G and it usually helps.

I admit AIB isn't perfect, but I saw many complaints about the BOI app too. Even UB has system glitches and failures, however, their app is the best in ROI.

And yes, banks don't give a *** about the clients. It's their pockets they do care. Pockets don't talk and don't complain. Ideally, banks are dreaming clients would never complain either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Primitive is the best word to describe it.

I just moved back from Aus and the functionality of the Comm Bank app and website $hits all over what AIB offer. It's an embarrassment.

Coincidentally, I've been on hold with AIB Phone Banking for the last 1 hour 19 mins as I type this. Spent most of the time looking at alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

• Advertisement

Many IT side of things unfortunately done in Ireland the cheapest posible way and the more basic the better. Ireland is very behind on many things on infrastructure and there is a cultural problem of not wanting to improve, lack of perfectionism and people value more a short term result rather than a big long term project. Many people's attitude is 'ah, sure, will be grand the way it is'. That's why this country is stuck in the past ;) People usually complain if there are changes but rarely praise the innovations. Because they're too lazy to think and adapt to the technology.

You must only be used to EBS if you think AIB has the best internet banking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

ESB, BOI, KBC, PTSB, all vastly inferior to AIB.

That's not to say AIB is great these days (far from it), but leagues ahead of the others. Someone mentioned Ulster above which I have never used, but A) I would be sceptical and B) they're gone now anyway.

And that is part of the problem. AIB was so far ahead of the competition, they stopped bothering years ago and outsourced everything just like all their competitors, so IT change now costs several multiples for an inferior delivery, so they don't really bother.

• Administrators Posts: 54,006 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ulster Bank was rubbish.

AIB is the best internet banking / mobile app of the traditional Irish banks by an absolute mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Having now used both, I'd prefer the Ulster Bank App and website any day over the AIB ones. But, we all look for or need different features I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Maybe my needs are limited, but i find the AIB app does all i want it to do, what specific features does the "Comm Bank App" have that you find lacking in the AIB app.

I see they have support for APM's like Klarna, and it seems to have some bill management logic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Does it allow you to review and accept or reject individual direct debits? Can it easily transfer to an non-IE IBAN? Does it work without SMS codes? Does it have SEPA Instant? Does it have disposable virtual cards? Does it give push notifications of any payments from your accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

We have done our banking with BoI, but the new app is complete crap. Not particularly secure, weird 'you must reply within x seconds' combined with timeouts during that process make it a real stress puppy to use. It only runs on herselfs phone, my Android 4 phone isn't supported at all, which is ludicrous.

Would we have better luck with the AIB app? Will it run on Android 4? We're actually considering moving our banking because of this, BoI has been lousy at customer service too, even before Covid.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Donuthead

Absolutely, could not agree more.

Never had a single issue with AIB internet banking / App.

• Advertisement

Android 4?????!!!! Android 4 is 10 years old. Nothing should work on it, least of all a secure banking app, there's nothing ludicrous about it. Get a new phone for the love of dog.

Advertisement