Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar PV battery options

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Bit of a strange question here, but are these batteries silent. Is there any sort of hum off them?

Asking as would be mounting them on a gable wall over a bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

AC Coupled best option is the Sofar ME3000SP. Perfect with a DIY AliExpress cells linked to a Seplos BMS

The ME3000 is certainly silent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

All the batteries I've seen so far do not have any moving parts and are silent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Alkers

About £750 UK price, do you know of an Irish (or EU) supplier.

How much more would a 5kWh or even 10kWh DIY battery come to on top?

10kW delivered to your door is around €1300. Search AliExpress for "CALB 200ah 16pcs". It will take off 20% at the checkout. Only buy from PWOD or OYE.

The Seplos BMS will be about a further €300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

I see Midsummer in the uk are doing a combo on the Sofar ME3000SP & Sofar Amass GTX2000 including clamps and comms and power cables. link below. Will I still need to get the Seplos BMS separate? The 2.4 Kw system comes in at £1887.64 (including Delivery £78.00 and VAT £314.60) and the 4.8 Kw system comes in at £2784.60 (including Delivery £78.00 and VAT £464.10). Of course at the above prices u have to get it delivered to the north and collect it as god knows what extra import tax u could be hit with? Is there any wall mounted type battery's like the Sofar Amass GTX2000 or similar on Ailexpress that could be used with the ME3000SP. They look a lot neater looking job instead of the CALB 200ah 16pc but obviously a lot dearer.

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/sofar-storage/sofar-me3000sp-amass-kits

The Amass "unit" will be fully shrink wrapped with an onboard BMS.

For the same £2784, you could buy an ME3000 from Midsummer.ie and get 10kW of storage via the AliExpress cells

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When I was buying my ME3000 Midsummer were not selling it, it's on their website but they don't sell it, likely a cut and paste job from their UK website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Does anyone know much/have any experience with Dyness batteries?

I might have found a decent deal on their new 5.12kwh rack battery and might grab a few of them 😁

Not much online but I assume they're the same as the pylons basically, also there's a new 4.8kwh us5000 pylon out soon or maybe already out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What price are you looking at for the 5kWh Dyness?

Not 100% sure yet, still waiting on a quote but around the 1500 mark I believe, not quite DIY territory I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Love my 4.8kw dyness. Very interested at that price....

Question on your installation of it, is the battery connected directly to the inverter or does it have a fuse/breaker in between?

Don't think they are needed since the battery has its own power button but I have seen pylontechs connected that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Alkers

Do please share the details when you find out.

Will do. Not sure if that price is including vat or not but will find out tomorrow hopefully.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Yup that's the same company I found the dyness 5.12kwh batteries, they are 1325 + vat.

Post edited by SD_DRACULA on

Buy on eBay with a seller who will do order Click and Collect in Argos and then drive up north and collect it

Wonder what @unkel thinks of that price? 😛

Do you have any detail of that Battery? especially the model. I have the PowerDepot H5 version so maybe mine is not the same or compatible. That is certainly a price i would pay to extend my system from 5 to 10.

• Advertisement

or use deliverme in Newry, circa €35 collection fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's not bad. But it is €1325 * 2 +23% VAT = €3229 plus shipping costs for 10kWh

DIY is about €1400

QED

(And I'd be the first one to admit that if it really only was €2000 as some posters suggested, that indeed it would probably be the better option to go with the whole product as is, with warranty and support, compared to going DIY)

Buy a 10 DIY and sell your 5 for a nice simple profit. Doubled your capacity free of charge

Im emailing them to check if they are compatible. I could i suppose buy 2 and sell the other one.

DIY looks difficult lads. And im not convinced the outcome is the same for everyone. So much can go wrong from broken to death. But i appreciate smart people that do it.

With all due respect, but @DrPhilG would admit to being quite tentative about taking it on and I have to say, he did a fantastic job. We gave him guidance when needed, but he was the one who did it and has no regrets (and possibly learned a fair amount about his system too.

it's all about being patient and mythodical. But very straightforward@DrPhil

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

Starting to plan an upgrade of my diy set up adding more panels and a battery set up. Going to have to decide on hybrid solis or straight solis and try and get my hands on a sofar. For the diy battery set up is the general consensus to go with the sofar?

Personally, I think the Sofar ME3000 route is a better bet

1. The ME3000 3kW would be in addition to your solar PV output.

2. You can control whether or when to charge batteries (maybe start car charging before batteries are full)

3. The ME3000 and batteries can be located in a totally separate location to your PV inverter.

4. A Hybrid Inverter is a single point of failure

5. Works beautifully with the Seplos BMS

6. Adding a sofar2mqtt device allows the ME3000 to be fully controlled by a raspberry pi running Node-Red or HomeAssistant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Not sure point #4 makes any sense, it's hardly as if hybrid inverters are dying left right and center, any more than string inverters.

Don't forget to add a disadvantage versus hybrid: Cannot charge your batteries from PV during a power cut.

And also don't forget with the solis hybrid you can charge/discharge the batteries at 5kw not limited to 3kw which will cover things like hob/oven at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

What sort of cost would I be looking at for a 5kw battery? Currently looking at a new build that comes with pv panels installed without a battery. Just trying to get an idea of costs if I was to install batteries with the system.

Are you a a DIYer ? Several of us here have built a 10kW DIY Powerwall for about €1500. You could have a separate Storage inverter connected to batteries rather than feeling that you need to replace the supplied Solar Inverter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm not too sure yet! I'd be capable of doing so, but wouldn't rule out getting someone in to do the job either for ease of mind. Interesting to know that you can do a 10kW for as low as €1,500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

For smaller systems how are people working out whether a battery will be cost effective and what size is worth it?

I've got a couple of quotes, one includes a huawei luna 2000 with a 5kWh battery which can be expanded and another with a dyness 2.4kWh battery which can also be expanded. Given the shape of the roof can really only install ~4kWp and our typically daily usage for the house is <9kWh, my initial gut is that 5kWh is unlikely to be cost effective. Especially as it looks like the huawei battery packs for the luna 2000 appear to be quite expensive at ~€3.2k per 5kWh. So even going without the battery initially and adding subsequently would be expensive based on the €1k per 2.4kWh rule of thumb I've read in the FAQ. Dyness batteries seem to be much more competitive at about €900 per 2.4kWh, so if it was worth going to 4.8kWh subsequently that seems like it would be the better option. However how do I tell if even the 2.4kWh option would be likely cost effective in the first place?

Looking at how the battery would be used, base on the solar performance spreadsheet I'm left with the impression that at 4kWp, Nov-Feb it would be a case of charging from the grid overnight as generally wouldn't generate enough during the day, and then consume it to supplement the solar. Mar-Oct though it looks like in general the power generated would be close enough to requirements that 2.4kWh would get us through any peak usage in the evening/morning so most of a 5kWh battery capacity wouldn't be contributing much. And it didn't seem like that Nov-Feb would be enough to have a larger battery pay back over time. But I feel like I'm just guessing here. Might have missed a guide in this thread as there are enough posts that I was skimming to see if I could spot something to help me understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Bif

I would like to source and integrate a new 20kwh battery system for my PV to replace my 5kwh Puredrive but I’m a bit wary of going the full DIY route myself. Does anybody know of someone who would take on this work and put it together, install and commission. Thanks.

What part are you unsure of. Seriously, go for it and we'll guide you through. It really is quite simple and straight forward.

The simplest way is possibly with 16s2p with then just a single BMS to manage the whole 20kW. When ordering two sets of cells, just make sure you also order an additional pack of busbars.

You can buy the batteries to inverter cable from any motor factors.

All you really need is a decent multimeter

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rob1air

Wow you guys/girls know your sh#t very impressive some of the stuff you all do is terrific. I am but a humble landscaper but do love a good deal if I can get one.

I am planning to either make a solar pergola or ground mount not set in stone yet. I have been looking through all the forums and scoured the internet and have gained some knowledge. I was looking to purchase my panels, inverter, battery from China. Got some quotes etc some are decent but may actually end up buying the panels and hybrid inverter here as doesn't seem to be a huge saving after import duties vat etc....

Onto the batteries they do seem to be a lot cheaper elsewhere. Found some pylontech in France they seem to have the BMS in the battery would I be able to attach these to my new panel set up without any DIY knowledge as in plug and play? Also found some 10kw powerwalls in China for what seems a decent price.

I would love to go the full DIY route but just dont have the time or knowledge to go that far. Anyway if anyone here can help direct me in the right direction or sites they have used and bought stuff from it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Bif

Ok championc. You have convinced me. Thank you for the offer of support and maybe the project could benefit a few others on here. I'm not adverse to wielding a few spanners etc. but not very good on electrics but I do know what a multimeter is and have used it once or twice 🙂. So if you are willing to provide the technical information and assistance via this thread let the games begin... I have five initial questions:

Q1. Does it affect house insurance in any way beyond the value of the components?

Q2. What physical size is 20kwh worth of batteries?

Q3. What weight are they?

Q4. What are the spec / brand of batteries I should order / use?

Q5. Can you provide (maybe pm) links to where I can source the batteries, cables and BMS required (or whatever else is needed)?

BTW I have a 6kw Solis hybrid inverter for 6.9 kwp panel array. Currently I have a 5 kwh Puredrive battery, all reasonably accessible.

Again many thanks...if you are willing to coax me along 😎!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Really it seems like a guidebook could be put together by the folks who've already gone through the DIY process here. A full blog post or something.

• Advertisement

@Bif

I think Dr. Phil's post is right back near the beginning. Either he or someone else has deffo done a fairly detailed guide.

There are several on here who have gone the DIY route and I think a few are close to completion around now.

What you are looking for is the "CALB 200ah 16pcs" on AliExpress, from either PWOD or OYE. These are reputable distributors, as all recipients bought through them. Tax of 20% will be removed at checkout, they then come via Poland and land without any further charges.

The best bet for the BMS might be David Schad in the UK (via Facebook). It's possible that he can / should sell to you ex VAT and you then pay on arrival. Buying it from China is fast, but will cost about $50 for shipping and will get stopped for taxes.

Make sure you buy a USB to RS485 dongle / adapter with it.

And you'll likely sell your puredrive for at least €2k - so quadruple your storage for a few 100's

@rob1air

Don't buy inverters or panels abroad. If you have a company, try registering for a trade account with Midsummer.ie. Get your panels, mounts and inverter there. See above for the batteries and BMS

Post edited by championc on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Size and weight

Of the 200ah calb cells that most of us have used. For 20kwh you need 32 cells.

They are about 5.6kgs each measuring 71x180x279mm.

Currently planning on expanding my system to take me up to nearly 8kwp and getting close to pulling the trigger on an Ali order. Debating whether to just stick with the 10kw or go mad and get the 20. I think the 10kw will make a big impact but wondering if adding the extra 10 is worth it and would appreciate some recommendation from those who know better. It’s a busy house and our usage averages about 20kwh/day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It may be debatable in terms of ROI, but if you have the spare cash, go for it.

I only have 6.2kwp for now, and I've exported as much as 18kWh in a day in summer back when I only had 2.4kWh.

If you have an 8kWp system then you'll potentially generate up to 60kWh on a perfect day so you'll still lose a lot if you only have 10kWh.

Plus if you use 20kWh in a day, you could go completely onto night rate by load shifting.

Loadshifting the extra 10kWh for 200 days per year saves about €130-€140, to give you an idea of the financials. That's based on a 9c difference between day and night rate (like on the better plans available today), but this difference could of course become much bigger in future. It already is on some plans, like the Energia EV plan.

Not all about money though, loadshifting is better for the environment too as already over 50% of all electricity generation in Ireland during night rate hours is from wind.

Remember 10kWh more like 8kWh usable so 20kWh about 16kWh usable

• Advertisement

LiFePo4 should be 90% usable. I did take that into account in my calculation and the about 20% losses of battery cycling too.

Cheers looks like oye are having a sale on 28th so I’ll wait and order then

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MahatmaGeansai

Hi all,

I joined the DIY battery club commisioning last night...finally. Thanks to @championc for the advice last year where the stuff gathered dust in my garage for too long. It has been an extremely rewarding experience and to see myself 93 percent self-sufficient today is beyond my expectations already. Thanks for all the great info here.

Sorry if i'm going over old ground, but I have 2 questions:

1. I have a powerdiverter(same thing as eddi) that doesn't seem to be kicking in now when i have excess going to the grid. Maybe it's a CT clamp positioning issue, but just wondering did anyone have this issue
    2. Even though i might be generating 1.5/2kw the battery only appears to be charging at about 300watts... Before i go messing with settings, also, any pointers here?

Thanks again

Post edited by MahatmaGeansai on

Well done @MahatmaGeansai

For the Power diverter, is there an app that you can see what it sees ? It could be that the clamp is the wrong way around and it sees you as importing when you are exporting.

For 300w going into your battery, have you changed the capacity from the default values, and have you changed any other parameters ? Did you change the discharge cutoff ? But you realistically need to do a full discharge (well down to your cutoff) and then a full charge will allow it to calibrate your capacity (it will calculate and overwrite your set capacity)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Excellent info here. Just on the BMS I have mine sitting here from Ali. Search:

"SEPLOS BMS Smart BMS Compatible Inverter 8S-16S 150A 200A Li-ion LiFePo4 Solar BMS Supports Inverter Cell Balance PCM" and look for seller "Minerals Official Store". Cost me € 200.20 with VAT taken off and was charged less than €5 by customs as the vlaue was declared low.

My batteries should be here in the next week or so and my invertor has been sourced too. Excited to get going and planning to document everything. I already have a fair shopping list from this thread for cabling, isolation switches etc etc. I will post the full inventory before purchasing to see if I'm missing anything. One thing I've not seen mentioned (I think) is a fuse between the batteries or BMS and the invertor. Shouldn't I be fitting a midi fuse as well as the isolators and rcbo?

• Advertisement
Advertisement