Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

One of the mistakes people made when listening to the Manic Street Preachers song "If You Tolerate This" is that they thought it was an Anti-War song.

We tolerated it, because we (the west) got cheap gas/grain. And there is no going back now. All bets are off for at least a generation, as the Russians can't be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A hospital was bombed. It's not nonsense. A child was killed. The blood is on russian hands.

We don't need to be riled up by fake news. There is sufficient news to achieve that. Russia's war crime of the invasion itself, their attacks on cities and the lies they tell about it are more than enough.

We await your critical thinking to be deployed towards Russian actions.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

NATO: We cannot commit our forces to Ukraine. Doing so could prompt a much wider escalation

(Aide comes up and whispers in spokesman's ear and shows him video on phone)

NATO: THEY BOMBED A HOSPITAL??! LET'S GO!

NATO is not entering a war based on a bombed hospital, so you don't need to wring your hands over that. Should we think more critically about the alleged bombing of the maternity hospital in Mariupol? Trustworthy Russia claims it was fake news. Say it was being used as an enemy HQ of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It's high time Russia was reminded that the west has nuclear weapons too and is prepared to use them on Russia if necessary.

Haha, I reckon Michael D. Higgins is the man to deliver that message to the Kremlin.

In reality those intros on call of duty and the like have been taken way to seriously, if you dont threaten war you will get war!!

Spoken on an online forum 2.5 thousand miles from the war

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

The reorganisation of the entirety of Russian society towards the cult of the leader, blood and soil fascist ideology, totalitarianism and militarisation, with the ultimate goal being the military conquest of Europe by Russia.

This is the only way Putin can survive.

That sounds pretty Nazi to me. Does it sound Nazi to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Bollix you are. And no I don't accept everything without question . That seems to be your own particular speciality tbf with no critical thinking about the fake Russia claims that they haven't invaded Ukraine or that they have bombed hospitals despite the clear evidence to the contrary.

Propaganda has long been a function of the Russian state, with the former Department for Agitation and Propaganda Agitprop being very well known.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agitprop

All the way to new Russian state sanctioned control of news and media and jail sentences for anyone criticising the Russian army or its current invasion of Ukraine. But I guess you know all that already.

Twitter isnt the source, its information published on twitter by an Eastern European media company

Some people can look at twitter a tell the difference between the provenance of information coming from @reuters as opposed to @mynamereallyisntsergeifromtherussianembassy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

I saw mention of this on Telegram yesterday ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

I'd say listening to that Manic Street Preachers song is a mistake full stop.

The same band that like to wear hammer and sickle insignia and cosy up to Castro

• Advertisement

Russia is threatening nuclear weapons on us. They only way to stop that is to remind them of MAD. For all the talk by self styled "cold warriors", they never tell you that a key part of the Cold War was the implicit threat of use of nuclear weapons by the west against Russia if Russia stepped over the line of the Warsaw Pact.

Russia lost the Cold War and it lost badly. Russia no longer has a "sphere of influence".

Russia now is on the same position Nazi Germany was in in 1939, believing it had a sphere of influence. It thought its "sphere of influence" was the entirety of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Russia is not aiming for a military takeover of all of Europe. What a stupid claim to make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Honourable mention to the Russophiles - without them this thread wouldn't have as much discussion/longevity 👏👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

It's difficult to find data on the 'shock & awe' bombing of Baghdad in 1989. Per Wiki "The Soviet Union condemned Baghdad's aggression against Kuwait, but did not support the United States and allied intervention in Iraq and tried to avert it ."

Per Wiki ' The Gulf War began with an extensive aerial bombing campaign on 16 January 1991. For 42 consecutive days and nights, the coalition forces subjected Iraq to one of the most intensive air bombardments in military history. The coalition flew over 100,000 sorties, dropping 88,500 tonnes of bombs, which widely destroyed military and civilian infrastructure. '

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Putin's demands are short-hand for military hegenomy of Central and Eastern Europe. He wants them to have a second tier NATO membership where Russian first strike advantage is baked in.

He's going back to the future with his demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

let him succeed conquering 'Ukraine' then we'll worry about him invading Europe

the guy got overconfident and got crushed.

All he should be looking for now is an exit from Ukraine, which i believe will be almost impossible to achieve at this point.

In his shoes, i'd skip directly to the part where i shoot myself in a bunker.

A few weeks ago pro-Putin cheerleaders were breathlessly telling us there was no chance Russia would invade Ukraine and those who said he would - like me - were stupid idiots. How did that work out?

Putin and Surkov have literally talked about the boundaries of the imperial Russian empire with the clear implication that they want any land that was ever controlled by Russia to once again be controlled by Russia.

If that's your goal - and it is Russia's ultimate goal - you aren't stopping there, because you can't stop there. The rest of Europe is not going to ever agree to Russia controlling the land that once the Russian empire. So if Russia ever tries it on, it has to conquer the whole of Europe, hell, it has to defeat the US.

These are obviously Hitler level delusions, but again, that's where we are. We enabled this monster by two decades of backing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

"Can't trust anything the BBC or RTE reports these days. Fake news, the lot."

"Ah, OK. So what would you consider reliable sources of information?"

"Ah, y'know, the usual. Alex Jones, Breitbart news, some narcissistic pr*ck on Twitter with an Irish wolfhound as his avatar....The Russian Ministry of Information."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

African countries import a lot of their wheat from Ukraine. As always, the poorer countries will suffer the most.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Not that anyone is ars*d, but if someone was keeping tabs of your contributions on this thread with an excel sheet of you peddling copy and paste disinformation and propaganda, it wouldn't make for pretty reading for you.

Get out of here with your claims of promoting critical thinking. Really really silly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a lot of text because this is a complex situation that a tweet won't cover.

Ukraine would be "sensible' in settling for precisely what I wrote. Fighting to the last man sounds romantic but it's essentially bollocks. Give up the Donbas and Crimea. That ship has sailed and no amount of thoughts, prayers and bullets are going to change that any time soon and they're well rid of the Donbas IMHO. Refuse to disarm, but no NATO involvement. UN peacekeepers on the ground. Arms will continue to go to them anyway so that's just a face saving exercise for all sides. Leave the EU membership on the table but in ten years time to be revisited(which make no mistake would suit the EU too). Borders to go back to pre invasion Crimea and recognition of the tinpot 'republics' of Donbas borders. Again face saving all around and one less headache for Ukraine. They could demand reparations, but you can't take trousers off a bare arse and Russia is naked from the waist down now anyway. Russia buggers off home. They can leave all the military they like on the borders, soon enough they won't be able to pay for it unless spuds become currency and Belarus is ripe for change and I'd bet the rumblings are already starting there after this diabolical clusterfúck they were pushed into.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Ok, but why does that justify Russia levelling Ukraine by blowing up schools, hospitals, firing directly at nuclear reactors and killing thousands of civilians in indiscriminate shelling?

I'm not too familiar with Neo-Nazi symbolism, and I have absolutely no regard for Nazi's but at the same time I'm not going to condone the mass destruction Russia has laid on Ukraine because they have a minority of Neo-Nazis in the country. That's for Ukraine to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I've seen countless photographs of e.g. US soldiers with far-right symbols are tattoos, not condoning it, but every force is going to have them. The head of one of Putin's paramilitaries is covered in tattoos of SS and third-Reich symbols.

Most European countries have more far-right political representation that Ukraine does. Again, all this is part of Putin's propaganda, which certain posters I've noticed are very "carefully" weaving into their "Putin is bad but" posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's very strange the way you talk about Twitter as if there is only one poster on it.

It's like the way the brain rot brigade talk about the entirety of traditional media as if it is one outlet.

Everything yis say is designed to destroy any trust in anything, anywhere.

For the benefit of Russia.

One of the pro-Putin cheerleaders here recently mentioned the term "critical thinking".

Everything Russia says is designed to destroy any sort of critical thinking in favour of blind obedience to what Russia says.

That blind obedience to Russia will always be dressed up as transparently fake "critical thinking". Those blindly obedient to Russia will claim they don;t trust the Russians either. That's part of the game.

The only time Russia tells the truth is when they tell you they want to kill you. Everything else they say is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's always in the interest of a cnut to give the impression that everyone else is a cnut too.

Always.

So just accept getting raped indefinitely? Dead on.

This isn't a gotcha or trying to catch you out. If someone's punching you in the face and says "Right, I'll stop now, even though I wasn't punching you, go out and tell the world you made me do it. Then come back. I might hit you again, I might not, but you're going to do what I say forever" then yeah, I don't see it as a sensible option to keep on bending over for them.

If part of the conditions are disarmament do you really think Russia will see weapons stream in and go "Grand"? They'll drop some regular munitions on whatever munitions dump they hear about. What the **** will the UN do about it? 🤣 UN soldiers will literally stand by while men, women and children are slaughtered. Well they might do more than stand by and raise a barrier for them to go in and out.

• Advertisement

Ukraine is desperate to get NATO countries involved in the conflict, understandably so because it is their only hope. It doesn't take a genius to see that the most likely way, possibly the only way, to get this to happen is if Russia is seen to be carrying out outrageous atrocities against civilians

Therefore it makes sense to be cautious and diligent in validating such claims. Calling people pro Russian for being careful is not helpful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement