Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Good man, sorry you couldn't change my "narrow view" of POMS selection.

Yeas he brings leadership and lineout skill but personally I don't think he does enough around the park. I hear the logic but disagree with it.

We've different views which is OK. Unlike you I'm not too worried about changing your narrow views...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ouch! Don't like this side. I think we will lose now. The back row looks smallish and not physical. I'd have Beirne at blindside. I'd also have Kilcorne starting. Healy doesn't have the loose game anymore.

Could be a long day. The dropping of Casey is mind-boggling, Murray just doesn't have the game for how we're trying to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

You want a bigger more physical team and casey in the squad??

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

Could it be that the issue not POM v Conan but Conan V Doris for no 8 and then POM is seen as next best 6. There must be some logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Pale Caucasian

There is some accepted or supposedly proven opinion that POM doesn’t contribute enough around the park. This is completely false created by people unwilling to work overly hard and using social media to diminish players and in this case creating a false projection on O Mahony.

This is likely due to old rivalry’s but the image of OMahony doing nothing backed up by falsified stats over the course of several random games and not a good sample size to prove their opinion - has stuck. It’s due to people like you who don’t verify it and check the very evidence used to propagate this opinion online.

There have been a few vindictive and focused people one in particular set up to undermine his performances after every game he played over the course of two or three years. You just regurgitate that un-backed up vitriol. The stats on those rugby websites are for simpletons judging players performances on tackles made and metres gained. There’s very little more meaningful evidence for player performance on them. You shouldn’t multiply this clap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I've no narrow views POM. Look back on the recent team selections and show us where I was moaning over him benching rather than starting. I get what players bring to the side and I can see why AF went with him for this game that's hardly a narrow view or do you think AF suffers from it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The pack back 5 looks a little under-powered to me.

I’d have had Henderson over Ryan with Treadwell on the bench.

And Coombes at 8, with Doris at 6, Timoney on the bench.

I might have started Henshaw at 13 instead of Ringrose too.

This team looks like we’ll need to keep the English pack moving around if we’re going to get the better of them.

on the positive side, I think our bench might be more impactful than theirs, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Having seen the England side I don't think it's brilliant either. The difference if Farrell and Tuilagi were in would be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Despite the drop off in posters here since the castration job done on boards, plenty still to giggle at on a Thursday afternoon in a 6ns week.

Thanks everybody! :)

• Advertisement

Jesus man, I don't think it's a conspiracy. What stats are falsified? He's down for 5 tackles made and 2 missed on espn, 6 nations the same . No defenders beaten. Maybe they could be a bit off but I think they are normally pretty accurate and I would have thought even his biggest fans would acknowledge this isn't a strong area of his game.

POM has huge strengths, hence all his caps. For me I'd prefer a player who's more solid in defense and a stronger carrier. The coaches obviously value his lineout work and leadership more which is fine.

Look hopefully he goes well. He's pulled off huge performances in the past and would be great to see one again at the weekend.

I get that man, which is fine. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm narrow viewed. I know he brings lineout ability and leadership. However with Porter gone we lose a strong defender and attack option as Healy doesn't offer nearly as much. Then taking out Conan who is probably our best tackler and a strong carrier wide and in traffic, our pack now doesn't look as dangerous.

Anyway we're going in circles. Hopefully he plays a blinder and we win.

So your best shot at Conans tackling is a clip of Conan getting out and making his tackle...

Great offload but clearly forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

The bench could be crucial, I think the Irish front row replacements and murray are not inspiring and if the game is close or if we are chasing the game we could be in trouble

• Subscribers Posts: 41,605 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so your example to denigrate Conans tackling ability is to show him making two tackles in a row....

youre not very good at this 'rugby' thing, are you......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭ersatz

yeah, maybe we get on top with a fast game early on, great. But if it's tight in the last quarter...squeeky bum time.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Seems like Aki is now 1st choice 12 for Ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“POM has huge strengths, hence all his caps. For me I'd prefer a player who's more solid in defense and a stronger carrier.”

Whatever about the carrying, where I think you have a point, I’ve never thought POM was a poor defender or tackler tbh.

And I’ve always thought the tackling stats (and stats in general) that we are privy to are very rudimentary.

For example, you could easily have an isolated defender who scrags a player, which goes down as a missed tackle but could be an excellent piece of defending, allowing the secondary tacklers in to complete behind the gainline.

Equally, a player could make their tackle but soak 5 yards and concede quick ruck ball.

I love a stat, but I think, generally, they don’t really tell us as much as we might think.

Yeah, I go back to some of his passing in November and the difference he made. It's a big part of Farrell's game. Still I imagine Robbie will have something to say ab out that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,097 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The game hinges on two things.

If we can maintain <1.5 second rucks and England are not let away with lounging all over them in leisurely way, we will turn them inside out and Marcus Smith will be shown up for the exceptionally average player that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Robbie is more of a 13 its rare you will see Ireland play a top5 team without Aki at 12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Who is the ref for Saturday, and how is he likely to adjudicate the breakdown?

Except Gatland is the only coach who feels like that when Ringrose is available.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,605 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Even harder to understand how we didn't try to go for a physical back 5. I'd have gone with Hendo in the row, Beirne at 6 to put some manners on Lawes. I cant see how POM is the answer to this England team's strength, hopefully I am proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I feel Porter is a huge loss. Healy is fine and I'm sure he has one HUGE game in him, but it's the bench where the issue lies.

Doris is best at No.8 so delighted to see him there as harsh as it is on Conan. Ideally I'd have Beirne at 6, but Henderson needs more gametime.

Backs are what I expected.

Still think Baloucoune has been really unlucky, although he was never going to be drafted in for this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Moving Doris back to 8 is nicely lining up prendergast at 6 for the rwc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Having a prop as good a carrier as Porter is a luxury, not something you should rely on. Healy is a very good scrummager and does the basics very well. I know he isn't as impactful around the park as he used to be, but you can carry one forward who isn't much a ball carrier, when you can still put out 7 good ball carriers, which makes the POM selection even more confusing. Especially when our style relies heavily on having as many carriers as possible (look at how VDF lost his place under Farrell until he improved his carrying). We lose one ball carrier to injury, and then we voluntarily remove another. Bringing in Henderson would have had the same effect and more. Leadership, another jumper, plus a ball carrier and some power in the scrum

I don't know, if I was an England fan I'd be quietly confident after seeing that Irish team. Baloucoune is an asset that we really should be using now, when he's probably at the peak of his powers as a winger. I'd much rather come up against Conway. Murray's continued inclusion at this stage is mind boggling, I could name at least 5 better Irish 9s right now.

Doris I think is vastly overrated. He just makes so many handling errors. He can be a good carrier if he holds onto the ball, but that's a massive "if". He's just a very clumsy player and he body positioning in contact is quite poor and leaves him exposed to be turned over. I'd have Conan and Coombes both ahead of him.

As someone who is generally a fan of Farrell's selections, this has to be one of his poorer ones for me. I can see us losing this.

• Advertisement

Looking at a few posts since the team was announced it seems one player has a huge target on his back should we lose.

Advertisement