Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Longing

Sergey Galkin was born in 1987, he enlisted into the Russian army in 2013. After watching you can understand why morale is really poor within Russian units.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Twitter starting to step in against Russian propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It is easier to subdue a country like Ukraine where you don't have mountainous regions that modern armour and indeed aircraft find difficult to operate in.

What they do have is forests and you could revert back to WWII where you had partisans operating in Ukraine, Belarus, etc.

Of course they will have lost some of those forests in the interveening years.

As example the two high profile wars where the US ultimately had to give in were in Afghanistan (very mountainous harsh terrain and little infrastructure with very dedicated enemy) and Vietnam (mountainous, jungle with not much infrastructure and very very dedicated well led enemy).

For all their technology and firepower it is hard to hit an enemy when you can't find them.

The one area where the Ukrainians can cause Russia problems is in the cities much like what the Chechens did.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Apologies for another tweet.

Found on the Russian Seychelles embassy page.

Russia and SA in trade talks apparently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There are a couple of differences in play. Those nations fled the Soviet nest soon after the Soviet union collapsed when this was "easier" to do. And they had fewer connections historically and culturally compared to Ukraine and hated Mother Russia far more. And unlike Ukraine they had no truck with Russian puppets and any that came along didn't last long. Before 2014 Russian propaganda and feelings on the ground held that Ukraine were their 'brothers' far more than those on your list. Since then Russian propaganda has slowly but surely whittled away at that notion in their people. Ukraine was far more like Belarus and Russians certainly thought it was until 2014. Even today they seem to have thought for some unfathomable reason that they'd get a bigger welcome on that basis.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Which is why I wrote this in that post: You can hopefully hold out until the attackers figure the juice isn't worth the squeeze and back off.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I suspect some will, but not all. An economically weak Russia is in all our interests and they've gone too far. Essentials like food and the like yeah, maybe MaccyDees in Red Square. but the oligarchs days are numbered. Unless they all decamp more to London....

Guardian:

"The CIA director, William Burns, was asked by the Senate intelligence committee about the possibility of Russian use of chemical weapons, possibly in a false-flag attack, Julian Borger writes.

This is something, as all of you know very well, that is very much a part of Russia’s playbook.

They’ve used those weapons against their own citizens. They’ve at least encouraged the use in Syria and elsewhere.

So it’s something we take very seriously."

Also if any Ukrainian military atrocity occurs (bound to happen in a war of this scale), expect Russia to immediately hone in on it

Well there's another thing, without the oligarchs on the take you could end up with the new level of their economy settled not that far off where it is for 90% of people right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

the Ukraine Russian debacle has had some kind of escalation approximately every ten years since the USSR dissolved, 1994,2004,2014, now 2022 it was always going to become a tinderbox and an final solution was never reached, it must after this

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Anyone know what has been happening in Cyprus ?

It is majorily involved in the money merry-go-round that involves Putin's wallet and the oligarchs/Putins inner circle.

Have they shut down their operations in the country or did they chicken out like with the bank bailout ?

Likewise those Swiss fookers are up to their necks in moving around their funds, and no small wonder his other half and the kids are hiding out there.

I wonder has anyone thought about nabbing them ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

You know your deserve a smack in the mouth for continuing to call the bombing of hospitals 'fake news'.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Right so this is your response to my pointing out that Russia has broken an international agreement on several occasions, which was in response to your point about a Ukrainian President in 2004 saying that NATO wasn't in their plans (no agreement, no contractual obligation here).

What on earth are you rambling on about?

Cyprus have joined in on the sanctions. Don't know exactly to what level, but indeed Russia has used Cyprus as a financial hub.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I hope these companies are being very clear to their staff why they're taking the action they're taking.

It seems a good way to try hit back in the propaganda war. I don't know how many people Western companies employ in Russia, but every bit of information helps.

i dont see your issue, my points are written down very clearly

Dundalk, Co. Louth

I don't see how it's bizarre Listermint. Let's not lose sight of the fact that almost the entirety of footage and news coming from the battleground that is Ukraine is from the Ukrainian side. That's pretty much all we've been seeing. Where are the Russian vids of Ukrainian positions being taken out? And taken out they clearly have been as the Russians aren't just ten kilometres inside the border. They have taken quite the bit of land a couple of smaller cities and are encircling Kyiv cutting it off and have done so in under a fortnight. Consider the now famous 40 km long or whatever Russian column. There appear to have been some limited scale attacks by the Ukrainians on that, or similar, but the fact the Russians left that column for so long just sitting there, when even a squadron of WW2 Stuka divebombers would have orgasms if they saw that below, strongly suggests the Ukrainian air force is extremely limited in capability and so are their ground forces and the Russian invaders are pretty confident about that. If the Americans went in there an hour ago that column would be a smoking charnel house by now. The Russians have many more tanks and artillery(other than Ukrainian farmers of course 😁), heavy and light and also have cruise missiles and fighter bombers and helicopters and bombs. Yes the Ukrainians have indeed shot a few down, but again we're seeing things far more from their side.

Yes the Russians have numbers and some ancient gear alright and are clearly not the world class fighting force once so feared, but the Ukrainians aren't close to being on parity with them even at that. What will even up the score by quite a bit is urban warfare. That's Ukraine's mountains and valleys of Afghanistan as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

I dunno I think Ukraine are doing more damage by staying within the rules as such the fact they aren't attacking Russian soil in any shape is a big thorn in the side of Putin as public opinion is harder for him to gain.

They have gone too far tho, I never thought I'd hope for war but I hope NATO gets involved if chemical weapons are used the tactics the Russians are using are scummy and I'd love nothing more than to see them and Putin get a good kick in the teeth by a well armed military.

Come what may in regards to threats but I think the west has to draw a serious redline and act as soon as it's crossed.

How do you "bomb a hospital" and only kill 3 people?

They bombed a courtyard adjacent to an evacuated hospital. The crater was in the courtyard, the windows on the facade were blown in. If some civilians were killed (and I have my doubts) then it is terrible.

When we are talking about events that could potentially trigger NATO involvement and lead to hundreds of millions of deaths, fact checking and clarity of language is important.

• Advertisement

Attacking Russian soil in any way would only give Russia more of an "excuse". It's unlikely Putin will use chemical weapons, rather manufacture an incident where chemical weapons are used by the Ukrainians. NATO can't get involved militarily unfortunately, that's WW3.

Well I remember how we froze out South Africa during Apartheid. Time to stop buying their oranges then. Fúck them. Meh any trade will be akin to the magnificent 'trade' the Brexit mob in the UK think is great.

Interesting possible insight into this

China’s president Xi Jinping is “unsettled” by the Russian invasion of Ukraine because “his own intelligence doesn’t appear to have told him what was going to happen,” according to CIA director Bill Burns.

Speaking to the US senate intelligence committee today, Burns said Xi was concerned about the “reputational damage” that China could suffer by association with the “ugliness” of Russia’s aggression in Ukraine.

President Xi is probably a little bit unsettled as he watches the way in which President Putin has driven Americans and Europeans more closely together and strengthen the Transatlantic alliance in ways that would have been a little bit hard to imagine before the invasion began.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They bombed a hospital. You have your doubts any civilians were killed. Oh its terrible is it. Spare us the lies and crocodile tears.

WHO have confirmed 18 attacks on medical facilities.

But no doubt you will be also along to deflect excuse or deny them too soon. All in the name of critical thinking aka russian propaganda. We still await your critical thinking ever being deployed on a critical way to Russia. You know those you are defending who started this war in the first step of its escalation and threaten to use WMDs. Not holding our breath.

No matter how low Russia go we can expect you to be there, critically thinking up your excuses.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I dunno I think if the civilian deaths starts to climb they will be forced to act, people will be outraged and the pressure to do more will mount.

We also have no guarantee that Putin will stop at Ukraine so it could be ww3 in any case.

Personally I think letting Putin and Russia have there way with Ukraine is a disgrace and it essentially should be ww3 caused by Russia, we should be 💯 threatening military actions against them because they shouldn't be allowed to attack Ukraine in any form it's completely unjust.

I'm hoping NATO eventually gets involved anyway I don't think Putin will nuke if they do it LL just force negotiation s.

Yep. One event might be spin on one or the other side, eighteen is a clear pattern.

Only scum would try and excuse that Russia is beyond scum at this point and needs to be dealt with the soft negotiation approach has to go that ship has sailed it should be military hardware now making Putin stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,525 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I thought you lot would have copped on by now.

Shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

Infrastructure and the economy are certainly mute points at this point in time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement