Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Indeed but ive heard from a few guys in the know they are nothing compared to the guys russia has at its disposal which i have no doubt they will be put to work at some stage, look what they or a similar group done to the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,464 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Noted that you refused to engage with any of the questions asked. We can draw our own conclusions about those evasions.

You wont even acknowledge that Russia has a case to answer for war crimes or explain how such a trial can be held.

The WHO has confirmed 18 medical facilities have been hit... response hear no evil see no evil.

All you offer are crocodile tears and wringing of hands.

The masquerade you have played out is well and truly blown. Try coming up with your excuses and deflections for all 18 and still maintain your pretence of not being pro Russian.

https://www.business-standard.com/article/international/maternity-hospital-among-18-ukraine-medical-centers-hit-says-who-122031000470_1.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's all about the economies of scale isn't it. Ukrainians have more to lose so will fight twice as hard, sometimes with homemade equipment; and while russian losses might be relatively small compared with their overall number - every loss of (say) a tank costs more to them, for a dollar value. It's one less tank, APC or soldier who could be posted in Chechnya, Belarus or wherever. Hurting soldiers whose commitment might be suspect anyway. It needs to become too expensive, too much of a Pyrrhic victory for the Russians.

I'm not so big I can pretend I wasn't delighted to see that news about the Russian column. Even if it's exaggerated, make every inch cost them something.

Well apparently Putin was furious 8 cruise missiles were used to destroy a minor airfield in Vinnytsia.

They only had 200 and will find them slow / hard to replace.

Possibly drones and other equipment being held back given Ukraine are not on same level militarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats his shtick. Iirc he was trying to praise Russia and Putin for fighting against ISIS while crticising America.

• Advertisement

Crimes occur without a trial ever taking place.

Crimes are investigated and might or might not reach a court room.

War crimes are defined the same as other crimes and people are quite rightly calling the targeting of a civilian hospital as a war crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Ukraine is a huge country

The number of troops needed to take the country and hold it is insane

The further into the country russia goes the more open the logistical lines are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Russia don't seem to be backing down.

If Russia's army was doing as poor as is said, and the economic sanctions crippling the country, then Putin could negotiate with Ukraine to just take Donbas and Crimea. He must think he can get through the sanctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That or he realised Ukraine could defeat him and take back the two separatists areas and Crimea ,the Ukrainians have their backs up now ,and the firepower and men to take the fight to the Russians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

First there was 'Rocket Man' and now there is 'Bunker Boy'.

• Advertisement

Maybe.

I don't see how things can go back to the way they were before with Russia. This seems one of the most seismic moves in our lives with isolating Russia.

Where does China get its oil and gas? Is it possible China could take over Russias supply and sustain their economy?

With the best will in the world... a home draw for Ukraine is a win as in fight Russia to a standstill as sanctions bite and Putin looks for an off ramp. I hope for that but am not confident.

Going on the offensive is a whole other ballgame and Ukraine simply arent there versus Russia. They have been supplied with defensive weapons. Very limited air power and navy wiped out.

Crimea and the eastern regions are the infected arm that may need to be amputated to save the rest and also give Putin a way to save face.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Because Putin got greedy and Sunk Cost logic now demands Russia can't be seen to back down. Be seen to be "weak". They could have stuck to the original claim, that they were liberating the separatist regions, but turned it into Total War on all of Ukraine for no apparent, believable reason. Even if the army is struggling, negotiations must allow Russia to save face. Barring humiliation on a par with Napoleon III being captured by Prussia, and top leadership being killed or caught, I couldn't see Russia taking their lumps and going home without something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Putin's not capable of backing down. Ig e was, he's have already negotiated for Donbas and Crimea in exchange for lifting of sanctions and a withdrawl.

Of course, the other problem is, no one would trust him. He'd be back in a few years.

He doesn't care about the sanctions as long as they don't effect him personally. In any case, they will have much more of a mid-long term effect than a short term one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

]Well Zelenksy has admitted NATO has exited his mind as there's no chance Ukraine get accepted so Putin could say it was a win if he secured the no NATO thing and Crimea and Donbas. He could say that's what he set out to do pre invasion and he achieved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭glitterIsland

This war from Russia on Ukraine is so mindless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You mean he might possibly have lied to the fascist aggressor?

Reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

My idea of attainable terms with the most potential for long term peace:

Ukraine officially cedes Crimea to Russia and recognises the independence of the two breakaway puppets in the East. A post-war Westward looking Ukraine would be more stable and secure without these regions. It also lets the Russians claim victory; unpalatable but crucial if they are to stop.

The remainder of the Ukraine falls under a universally recognised NATO guarantee. As part of the terms of this guarantee, Ukraine commits to never joining NATO and NATO commits to never deploying their forces on Ukrainian soil in any event but an outside invasion.

Without a cast iron NATO guarantee, the possibility of a second invasion will always loom.

The Zelensky government remains in place and the Ukrainian armed forces remain intact.

This peace, in my view, allows Russia to claim a successful campaign and Ukraine to claim a successful defence. It creates a buffer between Russia and NATO, lessening the chance of a disastrous confrontation between the two. Ukraine rids itself of troublesome Russian populations and can concentrate on its westernisation without the scourge of insurgency and the threat of invasion.

I fear the Russians will want more though, especially more of the Black Sea coast: Odessa and Mariupol. They may insist on the removal of the Zelensky regime and demilitarisation.

The bloodier the nose the Ukrainians give them, the more of their country they can preserve at the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Zelensky falls down a lift shaft onto some bullets a month later, other people start disappearing and Pladimir Vutin wins a landslide in the next election, no invasion, NATO can't do anything.

If you think that's impossible see what Russian backed Serbia has managed to do in Bosnia despite "losing" that war when NATO intervened, they pretty much control half of it and want more every day, all the people who fled the war were replaced by Serbs moving in all over Bosnia like a plantation vastly increasing the overall Serb population %.

So take any of the destroyed Ukrainian cities by the Russian border after your peace deal and don't be surprised if Russian money starts rebuilding them for Russian people, it will be hard for most Ukrainians to go back there anyway nevermind if their new neighbours murdered their family so it's a longterm takeover until those areas declare independence too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Yes and trials often find that no crime has occurred. The poster, someone who is not an expert or even an eyewitness, is demanding that another poster who is also not an expert or eyewitness identity an incident as a war crime and the party guilty for that war crime.

Its egotistical hubris.

If it is a war crime I wish to see those responsible brought to justice. It’s not up to me to work out how to bring those responsible to justice. The International Criminal Court has a staff of 900 and a budget of €150 a year.

Maybe they are best place to determine if a crime has occurred, who is responsible for that crime and subsequently punish them.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

trials do not find that no crime has been committed.

There is a crime, that's why there is a trial. Trials are merely to convict.

I know all about the ICC.

It's clearly obvious that a war crime has been committed, I'm not sure why you want to deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭josip

You've gotten Serbia and Republika Srpska mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,529 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Talk in the posts above that Ukraine could give Russia a series of concessions including handing over Crimea ignores that this would guarantee Putin remaining in power for years to come and free to invade again at any moment he chooses. Would anyone in Ukraine or the West be comfortable with this idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

I would broadly agree with this. And the NATO guarantee would be the crucial part. In order to provide some OFF-RAMP -, it could be

• Ukraine constitutionally neutral
    • NATO -and- Russia both guarantee that it is not to be in either camp
    • If either camp violate this agreement, the other is no longer obliged to adhere to agreement
    • This treaty is PURELY in consideration of military pacts/alliances
    • it IN NO WAY precludes Ukraine from joining the EU
    • In the event of an EU Based military alliance, Ukraine is formally absolved from any necessity to join or take part

I genuinely think this would work - but welcome debate

All of this assumes Russian credibility though

Russian credibility is now pegged to the Ruble - Its worthless, yet continues to devalue hourly

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Of course trials find that no crime has been committed. Look at the recent Karl Rittenhouse trial for example.

Did you or the poster who is insisting this is a war crime demand other posters refer to the US airstrike on the hospital in Kunduz, which incidentally killed many more of the women and children being treated there?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunduz_hospital_airstrike

The previous poster accused me of crocodile tears which I find appalling. I have completely condemned these needless deaths. The other poster is cynically trying to use their deaths for points scoring from the safety of their home on an irrelevant Irish discussion forum. I find that appalling.

The problem is Putin already had that ,this is what is causing confusing people he already has Crimea and the separatists areas ,so why go all out or take the whole country and put Viktor Yanukovych back in power ,40 million Ukrainians don't want anything to do with either putin or Yanukovych,

So what's the actual end game being sanctions are tanking what little of the economy that wasn't already in the gutter, even in the separatists areas there isn't a clear majority either according to reports .

To me it's a case of a leader gone Rogue

Off topic, but Karl Rittenhouse killed two men. He was found not guilty of murder because he acted in self defense. Two men were still killed. It's not anything comparable.

Are you suggesting that every not guilty verdict in court means no crime was committed?

And why does anyone have to refer to any other killings and/or war crimes? Why would that have anything to do with this war crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

They are one and the same in reality, clearly shown during the Bosnian war and not surprising considering Serbia's actions in Kosovo a few years later too.

Alot of parallels to what Russia has been up to under Putin.

Killing in self defence is not a crime.

I am not suggesting that every not guilty verdict in court means no crime was not committed. It often means that the person tried for the crime is not guilty of it. Or do you believe that accusation =guilt?

I referred to a very similar case in which another military carried out an air strike on a hospital. It is worth mentioning because there are pages and pages online explaining why this shouldn’t be seen as a war crime.

You may even find some posters on this tread who are very vocal in their condemnation of the Russian hospital attack who were equivocal about the Kunduz attack.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of a certain thread that was recently posted about the death of an ISIS leader with a distinct twist of America did this and America did that ,was it a war crime , didn't play out so well

Any hospital being bombed is a war crime ,but when it comes to Russia they are in a whole league of their own when it comes to bombing hospitals , schools , creches , civilian airliners ,and whole cities.

No buts about it .

Advertisement