Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It never even entered my head to equip them there, will swap it out tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah it's very handy quick-use menu. Wasn't using it for much else so I've been using it for summons, torrent, and knives just to lure enemies. But as I'm now using ranged magic to lure enemies, I might try figure out something else for Triangle+Up. Maybe the Wonderous Flask. That flask I have set to enhance magic attacks, and magic attacks don't use FP. Would probably be more likely to use it more with quick select rather than trying to select it in the menu, as I always forget to switch back to health flask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes it's perfectly playable, I get 60fps with GPU and CPU headroom for much more (if they ever unlock the fps) but the stutters are there and they can be annoying. And it doesn't even look like a performance bottleneck but very much like an asses streaming one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's defo a streaming issue, same one that's been plaguing badly coded DX12 games like FF7R.

Honestly it's not bad. If you can put up with how awful bloodblorne performed then the state of Elden Ring on PC is way better.

Is there any point to using the dragon hearts at the church place if you don't use incantations? Was just looking it up there and it seems like all the rewards are incantations; no sorceries or weapons or anything. Is there anything else you can use them for instead?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Aye I just unlocked that headpiece last night - immediately put my next two points into vigour to make up for the HP hit 😅 But two vigour points in return for six int seems like a fair trade off!

The Bestial Sanctum area and is still proving a good choice for a quick level or two when needed - can net 10,000+ runes in a minute or two without much danger. Although getting to the point when 10,000 falls quite a bit short of a full level!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

Picked up this. Havent had a chance to play with it but looks sweet. Very handy pick up too. If you have Rock Sling spell you can stand at the fog gate and fling them in and cheese the absolute bejaysus out of him

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I've encountered the stuttering maybe 3 or 4 times now in almost 30 hrs of play, each time it lasted maybe a second or two and never caused a death or anything like that. Maybe I've been lucky or something but for sure I wouldn't let it stop me getting the game - bloody masterpiece it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've definitely had microstutters more frequent than that, and it's very obviously when you hit a loading chunk. Not nearly enough to spoil the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ok, definitely wasn't prepared for Raya Academy, jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That boss wasn’t taking a dent from my spells. Got rock sling and circled the arena hitting him, then running in for a crit when he was stunned. Don’t think I was even hit once in the final run!

Guess I'm going to have to go looking for Rock Sling...

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I'm on a 3070 and 9700k. It generally plays fine, but with lurch down to 0fps for a split second then and again (usually at the start of a play session). The worst performing areas are literally at the start of the open world

I don't think this kind of performance is acceptable, but I've managed to get through it anyway and would put up with the PC issues over erratic framerate on PS5 without VRR, it's still a better option than that imo

The huge stutters from asset streaming can be reproduced over and over to the point other players will sometimes leave messages right on the trigger point saying stuff like 'behold the bug, therefore try jumping'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

Think I'm only level 38 so I haven't made it to that area yet apart from some suicide runs. Fought him the first time and got pancaked so I pulled a block of +10 cheddar out of my pocket and cheesed him up real nice.

I'm using a +2 estoc so I'm happy to replace that piece of crap and start leveling a decent weapon

The game’s performance is uneven on PS5 - honestly, they need a support studio to come in and do a final performance check and round of polish on their games. At the same time, it has never dulled my enjoyment of the game in the slightest and hasn’t impacted on gameplay at all. Hitches to 0 FPS would be far more maddening for me!

The performance is an issue, in other words, and need fixing. But they’re nowhere near bad enough to not play the game IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I killed the boss the first time when I managed to kill the Imps. I just ran clockwise around the arena and waited for them to step in front of me so I could whack them 😁

Got it and the Meteorite Staff, quick 10-minute run and gun during lunch. Didn't realise they were so close to each other, very handy.

The most frustrating thing on PC is that Dark souls 3 and Sekiro were fantastic and now it's back to dodgy PC ports again.

I'm currently playing Sekiro and yeah it runs beautifully on my PC. The performance stuff in ER doesn't sound that bad but waiting in case there is a patch.

God of War performance issues are way worse and Steam wouldn't give me a refund there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

They should give you a refund for any reason if under 2h of playtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I'm guessing a gtx 970 will not cut it for this game? PC has 16gb ram and I honestly couldn't tell you what cpu except it is an i5 and bought several years after the GPU (the GPU came from my previous pc).

I was under 2 hours but outside the 14 days as I was waiting for a patch. Was supposed to tide me over until elden ring but didn't work out and figured to try my luck as I probably won't get around to it now until it's heavily discounted.

I didn't explore the lakes much, not a fan of murky swamps but Raya Academy is a pain in the hole. I went on and on about shields with 100% physical but now i need magic buff. Also, magic build would really help here as up close melee is chaotic. Place looks unreal but i already can't wait to be done with it.

Are the lakes worth exploring to level up?

I struggled in the academy too. I don't think magic helps too much either, especially if you havent been levelling it up so far. I'd suggest luring and distance as much as possible. In a few areas I used fire arrows which did decent damage to most of the sages, 2-3 arrows (mighty shot) would take them down. Use backstabs where you can. And in the graveyard just lure as much as you can. It's very easy to get surrounded or hit from the sides.

But for other areas, there's another thin landmass to the west of the lake area might be worth exploring. Check the map for possible caves or ruins around the lake area too, though best not to go too far north of the academy area.

Radahn is Radown. That fight is tough as hell. He does so much damage and even though his attacks are quite slow, he has insane range and really wide arcs. Definitely my favourite boss fight so far though. Really fun and epic fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

It's not to the same extent as Limgrave but there's a decent amount of things dotted around the lakes to discover, I kept finding more stuff when travelling back through it even after beating the demigod of the area.

Curious if magic would actually help alot in the Academy unless you levelled up that part alot, I'd imagine the enemies there have a fairly high magic resistance

Yeah magic isn’t a big help in the Academy - sniping battles with the sorcerers ain’t fun. It’s still doable, but it encouraged me to head off and find a decent melee weapon to help. Hence my introduction to my new BFF the Moonveil Katana :)

Personally I think the areas are designed to be explored fairly thoroughly before taking on the legacy dungeon. Running from one dungeon to the next will probably hurt the pacing of the game a lot, unless you did some seriously overlevelling early on.

Ok, looked up moonveil katana and it has me intrigued. The location is putting me right off but think i might make a 'stab' at it. My Uchi is currently +8 with heavy affinity with blood slash skill which I'm loving but the magic damage could be nice. Need to look up my shields and see what's the best magic defense.

Edit: 23 int to wield, that's me out.

• Advertisement

I've been following the Ranni side quest and at a point now with a boss where a respec might be on the the cards if I have the means to get the weapons up to scratch. +17 greatsword isn't much use if you can't reliably hit it and if you stand under it to do so it AOE's you to hell or teleport grabs you to death. Got it to 50% health but that was with luck and guzzling health flasks. The Melee speced Mimic Tear was no use at all as it had the same problem I had.

Advertisement