Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

😂😂😂 I was wondering why all of a sudden I had a spike in both abusive messages and nice ones earlier.

As for reapplying I’m not sure. Firstly to appear I was very lucky as I was one 5000 applicants. I don’t feel I was portrayed in the best way and I think that being open on this thread would do me any favours. Also the effect it had on me was without mincing words was very damaging. I’m not sure if I would allow a production company to mess with my emotions (and also my dates emotions) again. I’ve said it here before but nobody can understand how deep peoples posts can cut.

Also, I think it’s moving away from a glimpse into a first date into xfactor esque sob stories that while significant to people’s lives is not why I applied and certainly not what I feel a date should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Without wanting to be mean, the tatooed grandmother was a pure oddball I thought. Her date seemed like good craic.

The lesbians were nice people if slightly annoying. I assumed the brunette would be friendzoned. Not surprised that nothing came of it.

The Eastern European girl and your man must be one of the most boring dates in the show's history. Not a single interesting thing uttered by either of them.

The part time model was a 10, seemed sound aswell. I liked the dyspraxia fella a lot, he came across as one of the more normal people that's been on the show in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

5000 applicants? Where did you hear that?

I don't think they have that many applicants tbh. They're always on the radio each year asking for people to sign up and there's been many return daters which suggests to me that they're running light on people.

Without trying to read too much into a 15 minute clip on tv, I feel the blonde granny might have had some troubled times in the past, whether in childhood or previous relationships. Just the feeling I get by the way she acted.

I think blonde lesbian is the type of person that is almost too nice, in that she would come across as interested in anyone and would be too afraid to say she's not interested. I think her date thought she hit the jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The granny seemed to be trying too hard to be something that she’s not and came across a bit batty in the process, you could see that her date lost interest within a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The masks are a joke if you sit on a high stool you can take it off even some are the same height on the stool that they are standing but the barman needs a masks at all times.

Kataryna was a stunner. The guy just lacked the charisma and humour to be able to impress her. I was screaming at the TV for him to pay her compliments and tell her how attractive she was. I think he was also put off by her confidence and occasional witty response. As another poster above put it, he had Garda vibes about him. Which I can't imagine any female would be attracted to, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Wtf are you talking about? They got on great and bounced off each other all the way through. Thinly veiled “I don’t like Guards” dig

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't know about that. He thought he was an average looking guy when he was actually quiet an attractive looking guy and looked fit. He never said what he worked at but I to assumed that maybe he is a a Garda or he could easily be a mechanic or a plumber, carpenter he'll even a tech guy. Who knows he never said and she never asked. She looked amazing but yes she could have more spark to her and he could have been more witty. When she asked was her lipstick still on all he had to say was "well your lips still look amazing anyway" instead of "Why do you think your going to kiss someone tonight" like WTF. I assume she was wearing nude lipstick so it would have been hard to tell anyway especially for a guy sitting at a table far away like that.

Anyway I wish them the best.

I would date her if she was interested.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Not that thinly veiled to be honest. I'm just jealous because of the many rejections I got in Coppers over the years that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭kaymin

I though his response to the lipstick question was spot on. Paying compliments at every opportunity is extremely boring imo.

Ms

Yes true put he did not exactly pay her many compliments and that was a perfect opportunity for one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I think the ideal is to have the craic with the lady etc, be playful, throw the odd put-down but also at some stage in the night let her know unequivocally that you find her attractive. That's what's worked for me in the past at least (on dates, not necessarily in Coppers as my post above was referencing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

The Russian lady was a cracker, not fussy, self deprecating & generous too, willing to pay the bill fully herself. Id say garda boy or whatever public sector job he worked in family knew someone in RTE to set him up on a date with someone above his pay station on this show. Plenty of times I've seen complete mismatches on this show, cant be that the producers really dont know what they're doing? They do & if you know them (the producers), you're even more set. We see it time & time again with RTE.

Id say the lady last night would have been interested in the majority of Irish men who're reasonably fit, decent sense of humour, clean, etc. There was nothing special about him as far as I could see & the personality would hardly blow you away either.

The tattooed granny date was a complete mismatch, he decked himself out pretty well & seemed to be a bit of a laugh. I reckon they go the following cocktail on each show, one LGBT date, one interracial date, one serious romance date, one sob story date & one comedic date. Rinse & repeat.

RTE is all about the diversity & connections.

RTE don't have control over that. It's COCO television that produce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

You dont think RTE have any influence or say in the material that they produce & show

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ffs he was being himself. She’s not an insecure princess that needed to showered in compliments. What an odd view you’re taking on this.

Ms

Awe OK. No need to get you knickers in a twist lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Paying compliments for the sake of it always comes off as rehearsed. If there's something that you find attractive, and it comes up naturally, by all means compliment.

This 'oh it was a great opportunity for a compliment sounds so fake, like you're waiting for certain cues to compliment.

If I was on a date with a girl who expected a compliment quota, I'd find her insecure and immature.

however I have a feeling that a fair whack of that amount are actors/media types etc.

I mentioned that I applied a number of years ago and was successful but pulled out the night before my date out because I was being pressured about what to wear. Often wonder did I miss the chance of finding the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Dynomutt

I would say try not to let the comments online get to you. They're usually from couch potatoes hoping for a retweet from First Dates or to go viral with zero effort. Easier said than done, I know.

As for sob stories, it's truly bizarre how RTE is obsessed with them. I don't think the international editions contain anything resembling that amount of misery. Two suicide attempt stories last week and one man who had actually died. They may limit applicants to zombies for the next series.

That was the requirement at the time. The whole social distancing thing really made the date difficult. Being about 10 ft away from each other at the table made the whole thing artificial. It was just talking across the room with no real chance to interact, flirt or in any way tactile. Also at the end were immediately separated to do the post date interview. The most awkward situation was the elevator on the way down made stand one in front of each other.

Haven’t watched any other countries versions other than the UKs. They have their fair Quito of sob stories especially early widows, or serious illnesses. It’s not a bad thing per se especially if the focus is on overcoming it. But more often than not the edit focuses on the harrowing time in someone’s life. It definitely has a positive impact on peoples posts empathising but rarely makes for a memorable date.

The only thing that irks me was the pre date chat with the producer. I thought it would give some tips on possible things in common to trigger a spark. The only thing I was told was not allow my facial expression to show disappointment. Of course I wasn’t but it was running through my mind that they mismatched on purpose. Looking back I should have picked up on the fact that I was told on numerous occasions that I shouldn’t have been given a second chance after I had previously pulled out.

To be honest I don't know how anyone could relax in front of cameras in the first place. I certainly find it stressful enough on a first date without adding a camera crew in to the mix. Fair play.

To be honest you don’t see any in the restaurant. But in the interview you are face to face with one

• Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The two girls, seemed alright, the one with the Harley Quinn hair was a bit try hard with the cutsie put on voice. She was a bit forced quirky for want of a better term. Her date was sweet seemed young, pretty upfront with the virgin thing. I didn't see a romantic spark right away, surprised Harley Quinn said yes.

Katarina is an absolute cracker, but a bit of a handful, bossy, her date last time was an absolute @rsehole. Shane seems like a nice normal type of guy, handsome. I wouldn't have said he would be her type, bit too sensible for her, but nice they said yes, and she paid on the first date fair play!

Sue....christ on a bike....serious ...aunt...pissed.. at a wedding energy. The accent was as all over the place as the tattoos, Id say the bulls run in the opposite direction. Brian was a good laugh, easy going but a messer like his date. Both very little focus on career or goals...personally that would wreck my head.

I thought Tim was cute and a decent fella, but please for the love of god just wear socks with trousers, I will be entirely honest I thought he would be meeting a guy. Lauren was very pretty (the fake tan nope) a good giggle as well, a bit too nice and too much personality to want to be a gardai! You could tell he was delighted she said yes to a second date, they make a cute couple :)

I think I mentioned it the first time she was on but, I know Katarina.

She's sound out and good craic. Not at all like the vacuous Insta beauty stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I didn’t like his initial response of “Can I call you Kat?”. Have enough respect to learn the other person’s name. Call them what they want to be called, not what is easy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Just watched it. Katarina is some stunner, just looked at her Instagram and she is even more beautiful looking in that. I don’t think she would have anything to do with a normal average bloke like that guy. The Katarina’s of this world are meant to be with handsome, charming, toned and elite blokes. That fella had an arse on him like the back of the 79 bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Nah. Seen lots of good looking girls with very average blokes. The reason is usually money.

Like that Sean Dunne developer and Gayle Killilea. Aristotle Onasis and several women, including Jackie Kennedy.

Advertisement