Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Dunedin

With talk of 18.6.12 hitting €1k, 5 bags pa is €31.25 per bale, at mow/bale/wrap, can’t see contractors charging less that €12.50 a bale and I’d say more with the rising cost of diesel. Wrap at €4, you’re at over €50 a bale by the time it’s tedded, and stacked in the yard.

not sure if poster is diary or beef but if beef then the economics of shaking 5 bags pa making >€50 bales is just not there. Diary might ride this out somewhat but for beef, better to cut back on stock than spending crazy money on fert.

Post edited by Dunedin on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

Price of gas and oil is falling alot I heard somewhere. Fertiliser will have to be available as will heating and electricity throughout Europe.

I usually spread about 30 ton of 18-6-12 and 2 ton of urea. I'm after buying 10 ton each of can and pasture sward and 2 ton of urea for this year. I should have the same level of N out of that. I spread nothing yet apart from LESS slurry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Oil is the killer. Gas is going to fluctuate as we come out of winter. The big pinch point is how Germany is going to react to gas and are they willing to cut ties to this russian gas. If they do, that is the pressure valve released it cut the fuel to the Russian economy and army

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭morphy87

Nitrogen €745

18 6 12 €795

cut sward €855

ta to a man this afternoon, he buys a lot of fertilizer, he was told it is going up again tonight,possibly €200 a ton he was told

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Went to buy fert and dairygold are rationing, wouldn't sell me any, trying to make sure everyone has enough till May

• Advertisement

Did they say anything about an increase in price? Glanbia not taking any more orders,

Price likely rising also. I have some bought in dec and Jan but they are trying to keep lads going too, which look is fair enough. Feed likely to increase too so no harm to stick in an order if ye have space

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

200 euro accross the board with local merchant , can 950 a ton, 18:6:12 a 1000 euro, cash payment straight away, he's only operating as a bag-man all fertilizer in yard is fertilizer companies and they set the prices daily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Lakelands fertiliser went up 200 a tonne last night

Is the government intending on some fertliliser sub tomorrow in the Dail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Something must be happening if there's such a rush to get it out and the talk of €200 extra on a ton in the last 24 hours. I wonder have they been tipped off? Be like the fuel crowd then upping prices prior to the excise cut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

What price would it take to start encouraging people to sell on what fert they have in the yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Factories in Europe are winding down production, at current gas prices Urea is about 1900 a tonne.

Look at what that fert will grow and the return from that crop. If the fert costs 450/ha for the year and grows 14 tonne, which would be good, its 3.5c/kg dm just for fert. Land at 250/ acre is another 4.3c/kg dm that's 7.8 with no fencing/ water / harvesting costs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭alps

They got burned on the fuel one yesterday.

They'll hardly make that faux pas again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If they pay a subsidy I say it will be paid directly to farmers on a certified receipt. If it's paid to merchants it too open to abuse. They need the money to get directly to farmers.

Slava Ukrainii

Hopefully they wont do anything, will only make a mess of things in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

lif they want farmers to grow crops etc there will need to be a substantial payment at this stage

• Advertisement

The problem is how do you return to normality after. These types of interventions don't generally disappear without a trace after

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I'm wondering too if buying forward would be an idea for next yr? even a third or half of it? if this goes on they could bring in compulsory tillage. anything is possible. putin won't withdraw unless he's ousted. hard to see this being short term

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Don't think that will make much difference. If a merchant knows your coming armed with a subsidy from the government, ya can be sure the price will rise so they swallow that cash. As with all things grant related, prices rise. It's rarely the receiver of the grant benefits. Same with TAMS grants - prices rise when grant is mentioned. Sure even the simple bike to work scheme seen every bike in the country jump to €1000 when it came in.

There's only one way to sort this and it's to nationalise the production of fertiliser. The government then control it. But of course the civil service would make a balls of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

The made a rash and pointless move on petrol/diesel.

Swallowed already but they were in a corner fast. If they put the carbon tax on the optics of it could finish them all entirely.

A voucher here is not a good idea. Find another way, maybe a tax credit? Or a scheme every farmer can join and qualify for a hardship payment based on last years beef output. It may not be as targeted and some may get it that shouldn’t but it shouldn’t cause profiteering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Use I would be very slow. A good part of the price problem was that during last summer fertlizer companies resold there forward bought gas. This prevented them from producing fertlizer during last autumn. They only restarted production when fertlizer prices started to rise due to bulk buying by the likes of India and by China stopping it export.

Europe intends to reduce it's dependance on Russian gas by over 60% this this summer. Mainly by using what LOG storage it has and by Germany getting it nuclear plants back fully online.

Remember high prices cure high prices. If I was forwards buying anything it would be rations or putting a pan in place to grow maize if in the intensive beef finishing game or in dairying.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

sounds like good advice. used maize before. I suppose it would be a bit of a hedge against high feed prices later in yr. local coop won't run out of feed but at what price? I'd say calving dates will slip too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Hearing of can gone over 1 k per tonne and 18 6 12!to 980….there’s still lads that have little to no fertiliser bought ….madness at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

You’re forgetting that people on this forum and others think they should be compensated to ensure their animals have enough to eat next winter . I think the minister should have simply reminded farmers that next winter could be a hungry one and to make provisions by planning to reduce or try a crop if possible

There's no way for prices to drop significantly before this time next year.

Asia is hungry for gas and if the eu is competing for gas to fill tanks, there wont be any reductions in price by next winter.

Supply and price could be an even bigger issue this time next year if ukraine doesn't surrender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Too many farmer TDs in the Dàil.

They can’t help themselves from interfering.

The “Compulsory Tillage” debacle was sooo badly explained to farmers. It’s about feed security for cows…nothing whatsoever to do with food security for the population.

It was a mega fcuk up to interfere in 2018 and therefore a dangerous precedent was set.

Panic buying of fert for 2023 has taken hold here. I’m not buying anything without knowing the price first.

Advertisement