Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The Russians have been supplying Assad's forces with hardware for years. Putin gave them thermobaric missiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They wouldn't be a veteran then would they.... Tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not surprised given what's being said here.

I see Ukrainian soldiers wearing the Irish flag on their uniform as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Possible dissention in the ranks (take with a pinch of salt)

I guess the question of whether its exploitation or not comes down to whether you think people with learning difficulties should be supported in life without having to arm up and be sent thousands of miles away to fight rich mens' wars while the 'educated' chattering classes debate the whys and wherefores and engage in grandiose geopolitical speculation back home. Anyway, I think its ugly in the extreme that war is poor fighting poor, whether learning difficulties come into it or not.

I do understand that military service is the making of some people. And that other militaries are not afflicted in the same way or to the same extent and attract different types of people. I also understand that some military people have the best minds (and principles) you will ever come across, anywhere. But that story was about an ex-British Army vet, so I thought it worth bringing up.

• Advertisement

Didn't he fire a load of generals or commanders during the week though? It seems to all add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Yes - his time would be much better spent on an online forum, talking garbage, being disingenuous and trying to start arguments. while all the time acting as though he is being treated unfairly

He could also bloviate continuously, and reassure himself that HE IS IMPORTANT. While asking nonsensical question, insulting those who CHOSE to fight.

MUCH better time spent no doubt

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

"Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said there were 16,000 volunteers in the Middle East ready to fight alongside Russia-backed forces."

Shocking if true, Russia is fighting back and this could escalate

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Yeah like as part of the European community we can do that. Fcuk Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH I don't see how anyone in the west could view Russian propaganda as brilliant. It's always been cack handed and seemingly oblivious to how the Western mind works, aimed more at Russian/Soviets and existing sympathies than conversion to their cause. Their current propaganda coming from Mother Russia looks like something from the 1990's. Amateur hour.

What I do find interesting is there's been pretty much zero attempt, or footage at showing Russian forces on the ground winning against the Ukrainian forces. And unless someone is completely blinkered by blue and yellow flag avatars clearly they've had wins. Even if Ukrainian numbers of Russian losses aren't exaggerated - and they almost certainly are, just like the Russian numbers - it's a fraction of what the Russian forces have at their disposal and Russians are more accepting of their casualities than say the Americans would be. They've gone full Red Army in 1945 and it's going to plan. So far. That is move your supply lines forward and get that set up and dug in out of range of the defenders, encircle the cities, cut them off from supplies and utilities and bring in artillery again out of range of defending forces and commence pummelling them. 😔 Then send in troops, followed by tanks as they take out the defenders street by bloody street.

The Ukrainians thankfully have more and more anti tank and anti aircraft weapons, but within the cities they're finite resources. They have few tanks to speak of, nor the levels of infantry required to defend them or make them useful and bugger all artillery and other stand off weapons. They seem to have some aircraft in the fight, but other than utter bollocks like this..

...that would even have the Russians embarrassed to claim, they appear to be having little real world effect on Russian movements. The Ukrainians have effectively won this war in the hearts and minds of the world and will win the peace that follows this Russian barbarity, while Russia has become a pariah with years, even decades ahead before that fades. The West has reawoken to the threat of the now openly facist state that Russia is and hasn't been this united in living memory. Which are all positives(unless you're Russian) but I fear the war on the ground is going against Ukraine and it's only a matter of time before Kyiv falls. I hope Zelenskyy gets out to live and fight and lead his people for another day. A man like that is needed by the world and Ukraine to lead the future of his country.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Why not? When was the last time any western soldier came under jet or heavy artillery fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

It still staggers me that he decided to go for the whole country and I'd bet it staggers his minions and generals too.

Speaking on MSNBC yesterday, Andrei Kozyrev made the point that Putin has increasingly surrounded himself by 'yes' men. None of them are willing to tell him the truth or give less than positive information for fear of the response.

The interview with the FSB analyst that was published last week made the same point - if the analysts produce a report that isn't what the higher ups want to present to Putin then they are accused of not doing their job.

The Bellingcat investigative reporter, Hristo Grozev, has been told the same by his sources within the FSB. Bad news is never passed on to the Kremlin.

Putin lost the plot because he learned that they had fired 8 of their expensive cruise missiles at an airport. Hristo Grozev joked that they still haven't told him that Ukrainian peasants have been recovering items of equipment worth tens of millions of dollars.

The entire hierarchy is corrupt because of the need to project a fantasy to Putin. He believed the fantasy and acted from what he believed was a position of strength.

Russia's annual defense budget has been around $65 Billion since 2015. It would appear that very little has gone to where it was supposed to. Between 2012 and 2014 the defense budget was over $80 Billion, the additional budget was for upgrades and modernizing existing equipment like adding additional armor plating to older generation tanks. However, there are cardboard egg trays hanging off the side of T-72 and T-80 tanks in Ukraine.

I've seen it posted here on Boards and elsewhere online that the real Russian army is being held back in the event that NATO become involved - people have a hard time believing that a supposed super power has been bluffing the world for so long. It doesn't appear that Putin knew it either.

Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale The Emperor's New Clothes has come to life with tragic consequences for the people of Ukraine and the Russian soldiers sent there.

For all intents and purposes though it seems so far Ukraine are impacting far over 10 Russian soldier kills per Ukrainian soldier kills. On no planet is that sustainable. Even their troop count can't sustain that. Everytime they come in direct contact the Russians are consistently left tactically out classed.

I'm still entirely unclear where this winning is coming from despite them holding some major highways and smaller towns.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Or Ireland is a small English speaking 'neutral' nation with a tiny military, an intelligence service that's laughable, a people well liked around the world and with lots of connections to America. If any nation wanted to drop in an intelligence gathering unit to monitor Europe and the West I can't think of a better place than Ireland.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The very definition of a veteran is they were involved in conflict combat.

When did I say Putin was monitoring boards? Lol

You're getting carried away.

Exactly. As opposed to Ireland is insignificant. It has fairly big significance if your aim is learning and influence.

And? There are plenty of veterans of firefights from Iraq and Afghanistan, but they've never had to suffer firepower like they would now in the Ukraine

Well our localities are clear but we remain officially out of it. This has worked well for us for the last 100 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It can be fairly certain that there is equipment lost without photos being taken of them. It would be interesting to know what the real figure is.

I've no doubt it will be a shock for a lot of them, for veterans, no.

I didn't claim anything like that. You're just imagining this in your fury to lash out. Or else getting me mixed up with another poster.

Either way, time to chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

saw a video last night about britains preparedness for a possible Russian air strike or bombing mission. Basically it said that if the RAF were imposing a no fly zone over Ukraine then their air defences would be very thin in the skies over Britain and by extension I can imagine they would be virtually non existent over the skies of Ireland.

Like I said above, when was the last time a western veteran was under artillery fire from anything heaver than a mortar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The russians wanted a quick operation, over and done with while the ukrainians were still stunned. It seems very unlikely to me that you would send in battalions of cannon fodder with rubbish equipment to achieve that. It is just inconceivable. Therefore, they must have sent in what they consider their best units on day one.

Apparently the reason we don't see footage from the Russian side is soldiers are apparently not allowed to bring their phones with them when they are on duty I believe the excuse given was it for operational security in order to prevent their positions from being ascertained either by Ukraine tracking their phones or the soldiers giving away their own positions by posting on social media.

The source of this was the telegram group I listed earlier so make of it what you will.

Best if we don't directly attack Russia, correct. But, to remain neutral while a modern day Stalin attacks another state, and committing war crimes, no. That would be shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Whooosh and back to the point made - you think Putin and friends give a fcuk about Irelands historical neutrality?

• Advertisement

I don't know but I know I'd rather us to stay neutral and I suspect the majority of the population agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement