Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Yes, I struggle hard when it comes to late-ish game with str melee build (around the time when i reached the giant's land). A couple of friends said similar experience (some of them just beat the final boss). I think str melee build apparently is the default 'hardmode' this time. And the weapons due to this 'new' scaling system, a lot of them dont work well in late game.

I am planning now to NG+ on likely Int build that goes with Fire/Ice sword (early/mid game) and then likely Moonveil (before it gets nerfed lol). I also heard the ash of war froststomp is the way to go.

Ranni quest:

Did she officially become your waifu yet lol

Rammi ? You get to

carry her as a little doll, rip her soul out and implant it elsewhere.

soon brother soon ha, and then

sad wolfman awaits

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty much done with Stormveil. Got to Godrick. Peeked my head it. Left humiliated. Nope. Going to do more exploration.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm playing it on an i5 4650k and a 1070, and it runs nearly perfectly on high settings, with only a very rare stutter, so you'll be fine.

Surprised it runs as well on my machine as it does tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I think I was level 40 when I attempted Godrick. Beat him on my second attempt with the help of my octopus pal.

The flask of phizzick was essential for this final form to keep my health topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Finally went back and took down the Tree Sentinel after completing Weeping Peninsula, might be time to take another crack at Stormveil

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Think i was mid 30's when i killed Goddrick. Definitely relied on the NPC summon whose name i can't remember, and just used her as bait most of the time. Few good hits with my uchi, bail the **** out, rinse and repeat. Still took 10-15 tries or so though.

Exploring far to the south at the moment. Love finding the mini dungeons, and actually manage to clear most on my first go. The ash summons are extremely useful, and still find myself using the wolves more then anything. They seem quote good at staggering enemies, allowing me to get some good hits in.

The giant bears are terrifying on horse back, but not so bad when you stop and fight them.

What an absolutely fantastic game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm about 40 but have been throwing levels into Faith to try and get it to 28 so I can use lightning so my stats are kind of crap. A single hit in the first form is leaving me with a sliver of health. Think I'll explore a bit and come back with some levels and maybe invest in jellyboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Just lost over 25k souls :( :( :(

Killed a boss in the second main dungeon castle place, but he killed me just as I killed it, and then didn't make it back to my corpse. I need a lie down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

Happened to me multiple times :) One time just by falling over an edge ...

There are 2 easy farming sites for that amount, 15 minutes or so and you'll get them back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have you been to the Bestial Sanctum yet? You can easily get 10,000+ souls in two or three minutes there as there's a good farming run for the early/mid game. 25,000 is easily recoverable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lost over 40k last night because on the way back to them, found a site of grace off to the side, then started exploring that direction, then when I died I realised I'd forgotten to get my runes back...

I've used the farming spot at Bestial Sanctum a couple of times, just if I need a quick top-up to the next level. It's very handy. Trying not to abuse it though. But if you're using it to replace runes you earned and lost.... No shame in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I have a 1050Ti / Xeon X5675 3.07GHz setup, and was pleasantly surprised. Running on High, very little performance drop-offs - never an issue where it counts. Delighted tbh.

This game is not GPU intensive and honestly it doesn't look like it needs to be :) The framerate stuttering is purely bad implementation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The game is very much a last-gen game in many ways so any reasonably decent PC post-2015/16 should have no bother at all running it a decent quality. Only the Xbox One S seems to have genuine problems running it a playable baseline quality, at least going by Digital Foundry analysis.

The problem is it's not a well-optimised game - hence why there are weird performance issues being reported on the absolute best-of-the-best PC hardware. The game should easily run flawlessly on PC and the next-gen machines when it comes to raw horsepower, so it's a lack of polish that's causing the issues here. But again this isn't a particularly new thing for From Software games - a lot of their games in the past have been poorly optimised for various platforms (despite improved PC versions for some of their other recent games). They may not be the most technically groundbreaking studio out there, but thankfully creatively they're in a league of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Use the Jelly fish, tanks a lot of hits, applies poison which lets you sit back and watch him die slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Godrick surprised me at how tanky he was.

Luckily i met the NPC in the square just before him who let me summon her, she tanked a lot of his hits.

She got absolutely destroyed in my fight. NPCs probably scale with your stats I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The npc and jellyfish helped me make quick work of Goddrick, think i was level 25, killed him on 4th attempt as melee build with i think +6 uchi. Shocked i got past him so quickly.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I got Goldrick on maybe the 3rd or 4th try. Had the NPC and wolf summons, and pretty sure I was under Lvl40, maybe even closer to 30, but it can definitely come down to how you're spec'ed. I was mostly Dex and Vigor at that point. The summons died about half-health and the NPC shortly after. I mostly just kept my distance and then jump attacks from the stairs. Margit gave me a lot more trouble even with NPC and summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Loving this so far, have most of the map explored and part of stormveil. My only gripe is some of the dungeons are so similar I end up thinking am I doing a previous one again!

Found Margit a tough but fair fight. Maybe I should go back to Godrick as only had one go. But I've a new area to explore filled with cuddly giant bears.

When you say most of the map and part of Stormveil, do you mean the map of Limgrave, or the whole map?

Because if you think Limgrave is most of the map, strap the f*ck in....

It maybe feels like the 'biggest' game I've played? I mean there are almost certainly games with larger square footage, as well as those with procedural 'endless' words such as Minecraft. But in terms of the sheer volume of bespoke content and the overwhelmingly epic nature of the map and environments, this really feels like a new level of massive - and in quite a different way to something like the filler-filled maps of a Ubisoft open-world game.

It feels like an entire trilogy of Dark Souls games wrapped into one.

I have run out of compliment to this 'open world' by From - nowadays i describe it 'this is how Fromsoft do it the chad way'.

Chad open world. So damn chad. Chad map, chad details, chad enemies, chad bosses, chad waifu.

I found that it is borderline acceptable this time (PC) yes. It is quite frustrating actually that I remember DS3 and Sekior PC performance were nearly flawless and then we get this dog poop for ER. And I am guessing this is partly to do with the open world - they underestimated the time they needed to optimize it.

It feels big because it's hard to progress and clear out a section of the map unlike the usual open world games. Also the mix of accessible spots and the ones you need to revisit after leveling up another 20-50+ makes it feel larger than in really is.

I never got into Souls games, I only liked 2 with souls-like mechanics so far, that is Remnant: from the ashes and Jedi: Fallen Order but I absolutely love this one. But I still think the whole losing souls/runes on second death mechanics is bollicks.

Yeah it's a real kick in the nads when it happens, especially given how quickly and easily deaths can happen, how many enemies you might have to trudge through to get them back, how many ledges and awkward drops/jumps you might have to take even though movement in these games are really not made for that type of traversal etc. But it is just core to the entire risk v reward of the game, and there are benefits to it to such as earning the same or similar amount of runes on your way back to where you dropped your previous runes and therefore essentially doubling your runes (or more depending on number of deaths).

At the very least this game is a lot better than some of the previous ones in having grace points closer to boss fights so you have a chance to spend and level up with whatever runes you earned on the way there, so less likely to lose so many in a boss fight.

• Advertisement

Yes, they made it now easy enough to just avoid it altogether, I never go into a fight with runes I will regret losing - which totally defeats the purpose of this game mechanics...

Advertisement