Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

That was a great passage of play there. Great take from Moore and moving the ball through the backs.

Huge win, we weren't outstanding for periods but it was a strong enough Cardiff side.

Lots of positives to take from that:

Henderson getting a full game under him and Cooney returning. Baloucoune and Timoney were exceptional, and lots of players who don't start for us made positive impacts as well - Tom Stewart looked good, Stewart Moore looked assured in a new position for him, Reid did well in the scrum until more changes were made, Aaron Sexton got a run and Jim Neily got to mention his 100m time again. Moxham might gain a little confidence from that, didn't make any mistakes, made a couple of good reads/hits and got a little run in open field.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Any defence facing Baloucoune has to think twice about being beaten on the outside. He must create more space for the centres?

Post edited by Ardillaun on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

Really thought more of that Cardiff team! Ok on paper, I expected a few problems, they were terrible!

That a side plenty of game time handed out! A lot of positives:

-Murphy back and seems to have bulked slightly

-another great game for Rea

-Moore albeit not defensively challenged did well at 15

-Moxham steady game and couple of good defensive reads

-Baloucoune just ripping it up

-Tom Stewart looks very good, more game time needed!

-Game time for Reid

My only criticism would be that McGrath & Milasinovich need flogged to get there fitness up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Hi folks

heading up to Ravenhill on Saturday, I know the England Ireland game is being shown in the ground, but can you recommend any pubs nearby to watch it? Staying in city centre so we don't want to leave it til after the game to make our way to the grounds. Google maps isn't showing anything. Thanks.

Yea, I always thought that ravenhill isn't ideally placed if you're wanting a night out afterwards or a few drinks outside the stadium. Ormeau road will probably have a couple pubs showing the game, but it's still around a 20 minute walk I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

They'll be showing it in the middle floor of the Errigle on the Ormeau Road (twenty minutes' walk away, as Locke says), or at Malone Rugby Club which is five minutes from the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Aye The Errigle is definitely the place to go, but it will be absolutely rammed

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This side should win this game with room to spare. Very strong selection.

I hate going into a game as favourites, but it's hard to pull the scrappy underdog card with that team.

Actually I've just had a look at their team and I fofgot how deep a squad they have. Lots of good players their that are exceptional on their day.

I'm all for a bit of anti-scuddery but this is almost our 1st XV.

I think our backline should make a mockery of theirs and our forwards shouldn't get beat up by theirs. Losing this would be a terrible result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ulster should win. But, it's Frank Murphy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Frank Murphy is a help to Ulster. Leinster have continously struggled with his interpretation of the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Frank is so all over the place and it could benifit us. Or it could go the other way.

Ulster fans loathe Frank Murphy, and have done for years. We have found it very difficult to win under him. One win against Leinster does not undo an lot of frustration at him.

Going by UAFC, Lewis Finlay has left the academy for the championship in England. He looked very good at u20 level, but the coaches must not have rated him or he didn't think he'd get the opportunities behind Doak, who's younger than him as well.

So we have Conor McKee as the other scrum-half left in the academy who I thought had a fairly mistake-riddled u20 campaign.

Below that there's two 9's who were involved in the Ireland u18 squads, one of which played 15 in the schools cup semi-final the other day but I have no idea which position is his best. There's also the lad who started for our u19's who I was very impressed with but he wasn't called up for the Ireland squad at Christmas. I have a poor enough track record with judging 9's, so who knows lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Ulster really should win this given the teams. Ulster almost at full strength and at home, Leinster missing nearly an entire team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

Also thought Finlay looked very good at U20s, who knows why some of these guys just never push on or get opportunities! Wasn’t overly impressed with McKee either.

Raging tonight’s u20 game is at the same time, was hoping to see McLoughlin. Thought he looked very interested last week off the bench!

Post edited by launish116 on

You should be able to watch it back on bbc iplayer I think.

That really wasn’t great.

If a game turns into an arm wrestle we really struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Well you won. So there is that.

I'm happy enough as a Leinster fan. I thought judging from the greater continuity in Ulsters selection that they'd ease away from us. But our pack showed a lot of grit which was missing at times this season.

Thought Joe McCarthy was very impressive for someone who has played just 4 pro games.

The reason we generally play at such a quick pace isn't because we have an athletic pack, but because slowing the ball down will only put us in a worse position.

Anyway, that's the double over Leinster so I'm delighted. They can claim a moral victory - our '1st xv' against their 'reserves' - or pretend that Frank Murphy was out to get them but it's never stopped them beating us before. Did it on a horrible pitch in pouring rain as well, which are conditions that favour their pack. Awful watch, don't care lol

Folks, as someone at the grounds, they can claim whatever they want.

We had a much more skilful team out, and it was as close as it was because backline play was difficult. And Frank Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

All I would say is that the conditions were dreadful. A win is a win and Mike Lowry is King of the World!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Big win against Leinster especially with Frank Murphy in charge

Advertisement