Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭apache

Since Monday there is no mandatory wearing of masks in my place of work. I can't decide which side of the fençe I'm on. I had it on and off all day.

I actually feel weird about not wearìng masķs. It will take some time to get used tò it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There's still a lot of people like you in fairness. 18 months of being told to wear a mask or risk killing the elderly has had a real impact on the general population.

For many, Stockholm Syndrome has definitely set in - and I'm not being at all smart or funny. It's unfortunately how damaging this constant message of fear and blame-shifting has been.

Here's a graphic from the Restrictions thread that should make you feel better..

You've more chance of dying from the flu than Covid at this point. It's done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

There is still alot of people like you too in fairness.

Still trying to make people feel better with your posting of "it's done" "flu" rhetoric with diddly squat about masks. This is a masks thread FFS.

BTW that John Burn-Murdoch FT chart and article is getting thoroughly debunked.

Maybe seeing your pulling random non mask realted content from the restrictions thread and "dumping" it here you might do the honours of taking this debunking I'm replying to you with and posting it in the restrictions thread.

Taken the liberty of scrnshtn some of my source so that you don't have to travel off boards. source: Chris Turnbull @EnemyInAState

Schools with mandatory masking during the Delta surge had approximately 72% fewer cases of in-school transmission of SARS-CoV-2 when compared to schools with optional or partial masking policies, according to a study funded by the National Institutes of Health.

The study included more than 1.1 million students and over 157,000 staff attending in-person school across nine states: North Carolina, Wisconsin, Missouri, California, Washington, Georgia, Tennessee, Kansas and Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

The worst thing about not wearing a mask any more is the fact that I can now smell the pro-mask bullshít in all it's panicky glory 🤮🤣

• Advertisement

Ah you're back - and with yet another post filled with hysteria, lashing out and toy-throwing because someone doesn't agree with you. You're nothing if not consistent!

Anyway, the post/graphic you're referring to was a response to a poster who feels a bit weird in a now largely mask-free environment to assure them that the worst is indeed over (but I'm not forcing them to do anything as opposed to yourself who would have them wearing that mask indefinitely if you had your way), and I'm not surprised you'd take issue with it.

But you are in danger of becoming a pariah on this issue Sean - especially as you are apparently still unable to articulate why it is that you believe there's still a "lethal virus" out there (which was never the case and certainly not now), nor even provide an argument for it without a tantrum.

As I said, maybe if you could do that there would be a discussion to be had, but right now you just come across like that Simpsons "old man shouts at cloud" meme.

For the rest of us though, we'll make up our own minds which is exactly as it should be!

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

The irony is that such posts completely undermine any point they might be trying to make!

Where is the "hysteria" in my post so? Oh there was none.

Why did you say that so? Was it just a deflection tactic used by you to push down on me for highlighting your factual inaccurate post.

I don't see you correcting your post or going back to the restrictions thread where you extracted that inaccurate graph from to inform others.

Your mis information knows no bounds.

Pure balls.

How do you smell panic?

Using their keen sense of smell and their ability to closely read body language and facial expressions, dogs are able to detect the many needs of humans. When people are fearful, they produce more sweat and dogs can smell this increase. They then respond accordingly depending on their breed and personality. Some dogs try to calm a fearful person while other dogs become fearful as well.

By saying "it will take some time to get used to it" you are creating a belief that it will take time, which is not nessacarily accurate and may infact create a longly drawn out conflict for you.

It all comes down to adressing the issue of masking with yourself.

Are you wearing the mask for yourself or others?

• Advertisement

Another study out this week.

What is added by this report?

In Arkansas during August–October 2021, districts with universal mask requirements had a 23% lower incidence of COVID-19 among staff members and students compared with districts without mask requirements.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Masks remain an important part of a multicomponent approach to prevent COVID-19 in K–12 settings, especially in communities with high levels of COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Not mask related but since masks reduce the spread, the latest news is that even mild cases can lead to brain damage. They're able to figure that out after two years and it's far too early to tell with Omicron but sure take off the masks and let it spread.

This post just proves my point - more lashing out and tantrums but simultaneously complaining about being "pushed down" when asked to actually articulate the concerns.

I don't even need to say anything anymore. Your own posts and posting style defeat your argument by itself.

So now it's brain damage if you don't mask up?

And Sean says there's no hysteria.. Come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Talk about fear-mongering.  "But compared with the control group, those who had Covid experienced an additional 0.2 percent to 2 percent loss of brain tissue in regions which are mostly associated with the sense of smell"

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/long-covid-even-mild-covid-linked-damage-brain-months-infection-rcna18959

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

CDC studies into masking kids you say?

Although, I'm sure you've already considered all the counter-arguments and analysis of these deeply flawed "studies", given you devotion to the topic of masks, and not allowed any biases creep into what you post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

More and more people ditching the masks as the days roll on, still a few wearing them while in their cars on their own.

It's only the bigger supermarkets I'm seeing a lot of them really. Anywhere else they've become a rarity in my experience.

The wearing them alone in a car thing is just bizarre IMO and always was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

There was a car behind me today at the traffic lights with an elderly man in the passenger seat and middle aged driver, the elderly man has a mask on below his nose while the driver had no mask.

• Advertisement

Ah, Seany Boy, I gotta admire you...

You keep fighting the good fight, just as long as you recognise you're pissing against the wind.

The game is over, the war was won, the masks are gone.

Oh and by the way, you're the person who stinks of fear & panic at this stage, but don't let that stop you rambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I actually don't notice it at all anymore, although I did see a lady queue about 5m behind me at a checkout. She's fully entitled to do so but it will take quite some time for some people to readjust and reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No the war was won 18 months ago when every major health authority in the world recommended masks and every major world government followed with mask mandates as a measure to control the pandemic. In Ireland polls showed consistent approval of masks as a measure in scope of public health authorities.

Mask mandate ended here not as a result of public rebellion but when public health authority said so.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And that's why, for the entire duration of the mask rules, I wore the same manky unwashed mask incorrectly, and stood as close as I could to covid twitchers, in order to, well, make them twitch...

Small acts of rebellion against the pathetic, oppressive rules that were forced upon us, rules that were in place just to show that we were "doing the right thing".

And you know what, if they bring the mask rules back again, I'll wear the same manky mask incorrectly, still unwashed, and stand as close as possible to twitchers, because, by fúck, I'm gonna give them something to twitch about.

The rules were dropped because King Tony knew even he couldn't justify them any more, Omicron took care of that, even though they tried their best to make out it was a deadly variant.

The game was up because they simply couldn't justify locking us down any more.

And I'm glad I held off on getting the pointless booster, no need to get one now seeing as they dropped the entry rules.... now if I get covid while travelling I can come home hassle free and be sick in my own bed 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thanks for providing proof of your childish rude behaviour. You can lead a horse to water... but you cant make them think eh. You couldnt even bring yourself to be polite and show some basic human decency. Someone who gets a kick out of making people twitch. For whom meeting "The bare minimum" standards seems an ordeal and effort and imposition. Thats the anti maskers for you right there. We can reliably predict this kind of behaviour extends to your driving etc. With masks it is just a litmus test of what kind of person we are dealing with.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cork2021

So it’s plainly obvious RTE handed masks to the audience of the late late and I assume it’s mandatory that they wear them?

joke

Says the poster who claims "You've more chance of dying from the flu than Covid at this point."

80 deaths reported this week from Covid.

How many from flu?

Yes and yes. Pointless exercise. But they make their own workplace rules so not a lot anyone can do.

Funny when they interview someone in the audience though and they’re allowed pull the mask down to speak. Ultimate in window dressing and virtue signalling. But leave them at it and let them be the outliers, RTE have taken an extremely hardline position throughout. (€€€)

No need to bother with counter-arguements with him as he called for exactly this study in an article of his last Autumn and now that he doesn't like the outcome so he's throwing all his toys out of the pram.

• Advertisement

Stupid rules call for stupid behaviour.

The government fudged the mask rules by calling them "face coverings", and put light touch enforcement of the rules in place, leaving the door wide open for me to give twitchers cause to twitch before getting arrested and fined.

Call me childish all you want, I'm just taking my own stand against ridiculous, pointless rules, and if I'm going to be uncomfortable while being forced to wear a mask, then by God so will everyone else around me.

But that's all in the past now, we won in the end, King Tony caved in... naked faces for everyone, huzzah!

Advertisement