Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It would seem they are fully concerned about optics at home. And people getting clued in as to whats going on.

I see Russians biggest talk show host akin to Stephen colbert or Jimmy fallen has fled the country with his family in toe.

Optics optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

But... Where will they do their propaganda now?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Send both!

A few pages back, a Ukrainian walking his dog found an abandoned 20 million mobile sam launcher: https://latestpagenews.com/news/ukrainian-man-walking-in-the-woods-finds-15m-russian-tank-and-claims-it/

Biden disgusts me. I really worried when during the election he was publicly pouring out his grief for his son who died in Iraq, several times, that he wouldnt have the bottle to commit the US militarily if the need arose, and sure enough that has been confirmed. I wish Hillary were the president instead. Poor Blinken; stitches up a really good plan to get Mig-29s and SU-25s to Ukraine only to have president gutless wonder pull the rug out from under him. Talk about humilliating one of your hard-working best publicly.

As for the way he has been 200% clear that the US wouldn't get involved; wouldn't it have been smarter to be non-commital and leave Putin guessing? Even send over a wing of A-10s quietly, with no public announcement. That would have perhaps rattled Putin and made him lees confident about invading. Incredibly bad performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I dont think he is going to attack Poland but by moving the Iron Curtain to the Polish Ukrainian border it would be the normal Russian playbook that he will seek to provoke Poland by constantly flying into their airspace. He already plays these games with the RAF who had to scramble fighter jets several times west of Ireland to protect NATO airspace from Russian incursions. He plays similar games with the Swedish airforce too and also runs Russian subs through the English channel.

After the current war is over I could see a war of attrition between NATO and Russia lasting years with the Polish Ukrainian border being the main focal point but also that Ukraine gives him more new borders and the opportunity to try to provoke Romania, Hungary and Slovakia as well. Once Ukraine is under his control he has got four new EU countries that he has a border with so he will load up the other side of those borders in Ukraine with Russian military infrastructure. He will constantly be flying Russian jets along the Ukrainian border to test NATO airspace.

I'm fairly certain Joe earns the current GDP of Russia (though he gets a bit annoyed if that's brought up)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think Blinken is a future presidential candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Blocking nearly every social media platform, including all messaging apps, will surely only give the public the impression that something is seriously amiss. A country that is supposedly not even at war and yet acting as if the greatest crisis in its history is underway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree, time is a factor, but so is saving face. putin needs to take Kyiv as the symbol of Ukraine. If he does his value remains high among his minions and his wider subjects. I suspect he'll even divert forces to achieve that. Like you say they'll go the attrition approach. Something they can do, have all their ducks lined up to do and something the Ukrainian defenders will struggle terribly to defend against. Anti tank weapons are of little use against artillery 10 k away hammering your city into dust.

IMHO if - and save for a last minute gamechanger like him falling out a window, or his generals openly rebel - sadly when he takes Kyiv, his next move will be to tweak his 'demands' so that EU membership down the line is acceptable(we know, they know, he knows it's years away), no NATO, he'll withdraw back to Crimea, but keep, sorry 'support' the 'independent republics'.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Verified equipment losses from both sides

Approx 3 to 1 ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

As this invasion took shape, I was able to take some kind of comfort in the sanctions meted out to Russia, but in the last few days, I'm starting to question if they will be enough: perhaps I'm taking too much notice of Putin's brazenness in shrugging them off, but is there any substance to this notion of Fortress Russia ? The idea that somehow the Kremlin has a strategy in place to insulate the country from the corporate exodus. Will it get to the stage where there are no more sanctions to unleash ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Theres no such thing as fortress anything these days. The Russian economy like many others has intrinsic global links that cant be replicated easily or in some cases at all.

They'll have an absolute job on their hands converting a power house of faux designer wealth displays into North Korea over night.

Sanctions are stinging hard and will continue to do so.

National Party supporters don't tend to be the sharpest tools in the box

This is either going to get bad or really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

I see Russians biggest talk show host akin to Stephen colbert or Jimmy fallen has fled the country with his family in toe.

There could be more to that story. Ivan Urgant spoke out against the invasion of Crimea in 2014 and his tv show was pulled from the schedule after the invasion of Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Seems to have been confirmed now by the Ukrainian side. Will need to wait for the funeral or leaks on Telegram from Russian sources. So far all the top dogs that Ukraine claimed to have killed, have been confirmed dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Anyone else get the special AN225 transponder alert flying over Kyiv earlier, was pure gold:-

I have an AN225 alert which works off the unique ADSB transponder from the AN225 and got the flight alert - my only guess is someone salvaged the transponder of the AN225 and put it on something small flying around (or somehow modified another transponder), absolutely love the call sign.

Post edited by GM228 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Biden is in a precarious position as U.S. president. There's talk of how Biden lacks guts, but he has to manage his own political position against rising isolationism in the U.S.A. or 'bring the troops home' rhetoric used by U.S. presidents and those hoping to be president since Obama. I don't interpret his relatively reserved approach to the crisis as weakness as such, but much more as attempting to maintain a poker face. He's going to get a hammering from critics of one persuasion of another, anyway. The tightrope where everyone can agree his approach has been well-measured is nanometre thin.

Because intelligence is so important in any war, I'm more interested in what's being done, rather than said, and I have to think there's an awful lot being done in as much secrecy as possible, that isn't being discussed, because why would it be? It wouldn't surprise me if the scale of the U.S. 'black' operations on the ground in Ukraine are monumental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I still believe Ukraine can win this war.

If such a small country like Finland was able to keep their independence in Stalin's time, so Ukraine still have a big chance.

A big part of current Ukraine belonged to Poland before IIWW, after the war Poland was shifted to the West. My mum was born near Lvov. She experienced 3 war fronts (Russians, Germans, Russians again and Ukrainian Bandera's groups). Germans (army, not SS) were kind and they were giving them soups and bread, Russians were scary, but my mum's family was scared the most of Ukrainians. These people are extremely tough, much tougher than Russians. And they have a good motivation to fight.

Also in 2-3 weeks spring will come and the ground will no longer be frozen, so all Russian tanks and heavy gear can become useless...

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Yeah, it looks like the majority of Russians are rallying behind Putin and the war. I guess a big reason for that is the relentless propaganda. The sanctions will create more animosity towards the west rather to where it should be directed at - Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

This comes with a caveat as the market is so volatile right now.

Still I bet Putin and his cronies must be fuming that our dependency on Russian oil is now past tense.

The longer this war drags on the more vicious and dirty it will become. Western papers are full of pictures of smiling lads heading off at the airport to fight with Ukraine, and we see Syrian and other nationalities joining the Russian forces.

There will be no mercy or rules of conflict to help these people if captured by either side. They will be either executed or used for propoganda purposes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They don't need to run a masterclass in volume tactics to flatten that city and I'm certainly not claiming nor would claim they are capable of anything masterclass like. I have consistently and repeatedly stated that this war has shown up the serious shortfalls in Russia's military might to the world, and that in any open warfare with the likes of the Americans the Russians would be routed with a sideorder of obliterated in short order. In effect they're fighting a WW2 campaign, because, well a WW3 campaign would get out of hand too damned quickly and likely show up their shortfalls there to boot.

As for the Syrian(and others) involvement? Yes more bodies are always good, but it can be argued putin is trying to bring 'his' support into this and show his subjects not all the world is behind Ukraine and against Russia. For the optics if nothing else.

Just on one point alone. Russia has artillery and a huge support line to back it up out of the effective range of Ukrainian forces. The Russians will encircle Kyiv and are close to it now. Bugger all supplies are going to get in. Food medicine, bullets. Or civilians out, which is the worst of it. When they think it's 'softened up' they'll send in the troops. Followed by the tanks and other armoured vehicles that are now rested and supplied with fuel from their logistics that have caught up in the lull to the rear. That convoy is still on that road, pretty much unmolested. Much earlier in this thread I raised the question why aren't the Ukrainian defenders hitting that supply train effectively? Why are the Russians apparently so confident in leaving something that big and vital target out in the open? My answer then as now is it strongly suggests the Ukrainians simply didn't and don't have the means of targetting it effectively and the Russians know it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Russia should know from their own history that pounding a city to smithereens doesn't actually conquer it. At some point after the bombardment, they still have to move tanks and infantry support into the city centre to try and take the city proper, and the defenders of Kyiv are sheltering and preparing for this eventuality, i.e. the street to street fighting where the Russians potentially have a gun trained on them from every shattered window and ruin they pass.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement