Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 2) Carton House Montgomerie Golf Course (12th March 1130 hrs.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

It most certainly did. I'd love to share a pic but it was on the last bite I thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I didn't get to go there on the 12th. I had breakfast in hotel.But got to hear of plenty who did. Perfection apparently.

Not staying on this occasion, so will need local vitals..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I don't think that there is much close by, it's about 10 mins drove from the entrance I'm all directions to anywhere close.

They do seem to have added in a takeout place on site.

https://www.cartonhouse.com/the-hatch-at-the-carriage-house.html

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I recall a decent service station on the Straffon approach into maynooth that's pretty decent. That was a few years ago when I visited the titliest fitting centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'd imagine on expensive side ...but actual food in carton / at clubhouse must be good ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Food in the clubhouse is very good. Lots of hotel guests will eat there rather than the restaurant

Seen like a horse box in courtyard that provides food and drink on the go for golfers too...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

They had a hatch open the other day ( I collected a bunch of cards, prep for tomorrow) opposite golf shop serving coffee etc and I’m guessing a bit of take out food. I didn’t inspect the menu board.

Looking forward to this now - have been up to my eyes in work and heavy enough going.

Fingers crossed on weather - be ready for rain.

Pace was fantastic in Portmarnock Links - so just the same again all. Nothing crazy , just keep the flow going.

It is a good walk from tee to greens - so keep this in mind when walking between holes. I'm last out , and probably will get wet - so the sooner we get off the course the better for the match - it looks like heavy enough rain on travel home - so be careful all, after a long day.

I know tomorrow people have a lot on - and we have restricted numbers for presentation anyway - do not feel obliged to hang around , try pick up your prize from last outing on arrival - your prize is safe with me.

Enjoy the day - and don't give up , big points to be gained in the bunched mid field too , even when you are not in with a hope - they all go towards our Ryder Jug Team selection.

It has been well covered , but avoid the bunkers and the course is on easy side - we are forward and the par 5s (and wedges to par 4s) will be a real chance. Don't underestimate the wind , it is a very very open course that appears to be elevated relative to the general area and river.

We are on our first Irish open course - so that always gives me a sense of excitement and occasion.

The history of the place is interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Really looking forward to this as well. This week has been absolutely mental in work, and i really need the break. Not sure punishing golf where i spend half the day hacking out of bunkers is the answer, but will see :P

• Advertisement

Last call for food lads

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Enjoy all, really sorry to be missing out, look forward to reading the post round reports

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Looking forward to it - think I'll leave the umbrella at home (or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭spuddy4711

Carriage House clubhouse restaurant is first class, they’ll be showing the match. It doesn’t open till 12:00 noon. The hatch serves breakfast bap, soup/sandwiches, a selection of wraps all day, there’s a cosy inside seating area.

They’ve shut down their EV charging facility, the nearest charge point is now at a local Tesco. Looking forward to my 2nd Boards adventure, promise to be good this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I am still very much a doubt. I cannot beat off the last of this flu. Am raging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Have removed self.....if there is a miraculous recovery I will look again tomorrow

Ok guys after talking to the Club -

Bunkers all in play.

Lift clean and place on fairway only.

No touching ball in rough unless imbedded and normal rules of golf apply. Note, you will realistically get a few mud balls , but you can clean when you get back to fairway or green.

Premium on staying out of rough.

Committee wanted to play "real golf " - or rules as dictated by club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Forecast pretty good for most of the day. Looks like some heavy stuff coming in early evening so hopefully we get in ahead of it

Folks

last call

few of yiz haven’t entered the 2’s.

I know a few wanted last time but didn’t by mistake so if you haven’t done so, and you want to, you need to remove yourself from sheet and go back on, making sure you tick the box when putting your name down

also, cut off is 4pm I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭spuddy4711

So is this a qualifying competition that we can enter on the Golf Ireland app ? I realise from chatting to Benny that we must decide for or against using the app before play commences, and that a marker is playing who is also registered for the app.and can attest the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

think we're playing together tomorrow Spuddy. i'll be logging my score tomorrow on Golf Ireland so we can sort it out between ourselves if you're looking to do the same. It's simple enough to sort out

Weather looking a bit better for tomorrow. Windy auld day by the looks of it but as long as the rain holds off it shouldn't be too bad. Really looking forward to it now, like a child going on their holidays (or me going on my holidays 🤣)

Met Éireann showing 16 kph for wind, so not much really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

you're 100% correct. I was looking at the wind gusts on AccuWeather which were between 35kph and 55kph. That would have been great fun

So just a little housekeeping ahead of tomorrow. I was able to drop into the club during the week and pick up some cards which I have just filled out now to save myself some time in the morning. My plan now is to prepare like RoadRunner. 😎

I will be there from about 11:00 so with the first group out at 11:30 it should it should be plenty of time for me to head straight to the putting green rather than setting up shop in the Clubhouse. Please collect your cards from me there. Captain will take over from me when I head for tee box in the third group. Can everyone please make sure to drop cards back to me ASAP after your round. There are to many now for us to be chasing so please take responsibility yourselves or you may forego Ryder Jug points. 😱

Some were wondering about handicaps last day out. We keep it reasonably simple and use current WHS to generate a course handicap. We do not use the 95% rule. We do adjust for playing handicaps though based on results through the year. There are small add backs for lower place finishes and cuts for the winners. Play to the playing handicap written on your card.

thanks all, enjoy tomorrow and hopefully we get the usual lucky break in the weather.

All stating the obvious - but a reminder you have relief from embedded balls and casual water. Will no doubt be a feature for all groups at some point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Really looking forward to heading back to the Monty tomorrow, it’s a good few years since I was last there. I’ve played it a few times now, from various tees, and it’s a challenge off every one of them. Weather is looking better too which is a massive plus so I hope all our new members enjoy the day as much as the seasoned regulars.

For me, I just want to play golf, on a different course on a different weekend and try enjoy it with my old and new friends.

have a blast everyone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Multiple pints may not have been the best way to prepare for tomorrow, but not much I can do about that now 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

I know the feeling 🍻

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Enjoy the days lads. Would of loved to of been there and already looking forward to my next boards outing.

Safe travelling to and from.

Advertisement