Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No they do not. What you fail to understand is that smaller producers especially Suckler farmers are looking at this and making business decisions. I have talked to three Suckler farmers that sell there progeny as stores at year end normally.

Take a Suckler farmer with 25cows that normally buys 5T of fertlizer. Last year it cost him 16-1800euro. At present prices it is 5k. Now that's an extra 3300 or 135/animal. A few have made conscious decisions to sell there stores now. Buy virtually no fertlizer and minimal stock this year.

I bough my fertlizer pre last Saturday. I can manage this year but ration prices are worrying me now. If ration keeps going crazy and I don't see it reflected in beef prices I will cut back numbers by 15-25% next year. Dairy farmers will do the same.

It will not be farmers or there animals that starve. With high cattle price it may make more sense to slaughter than to carry losses.

The biggest pressure will not be fodder but high energy grains used in rations, barley maize, wheat etc. The most important thing is try to encourage extensive farmers to grow extra fodder not just what they require themselves. Cost of a round bale of sage will go from 25/ bake to 35+/ bale and that is if you are using slurry for the majority of your P&K. If you are using bagged fertlizer ( many intensive dairy farmers are as some of there silage ground is 15+ miles away) then the cost is heading above 50+/bale.

Autumn milk production depends on bring supplemented by with high quality silage and/or rations. 5-6 years ago rations cost 230/ ton, last year 260-280, at present 320-350/ ton and futures for grains indicate prices of over 500/ ton.

So go figure

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People are planning to reduce. Across all of Europe, across all sectors.

No choice.

That's with a global food shortage already in place.

Farmer TD's can be useful, if they were all Jennifer Whitmore it'd be rewilding central.

Food security is a political issue for Europe.

We are heading to a billion people short of food and they nearly all border Europe.

For the pittance in money it could be changed.

It's so cheap to change this, hardly noticeable expenditure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭DBK1

18-6-12 at €870 this morning in Grennans, up from €750 middle of last week. Urea is €1k. I have mine in the yard already and won’t be buying any more but it’s nearly like chatting about the weather now, you just ask about the price of it any time you’re in!

I ordered 10-5-25+S for barley this morning at €870 a ton also. I was too late making the decision to sow and would have got it €100 cheaper if I’d ordered it last week but I was waiting in soil sample results to come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭kk.man

I have no sympathy for Europe and its food policy. Prior to this war farmers and farming were second class citizens in the EU .

Love the last line.

It's every Govt for decades, it's across the EU, especially the EU commission.

The chickens are coming home to roost and they are off the lay as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

I dont see how it would be good from anyone's perspective.

Encouraging the creation of a system that closely monitors where fertiliser is coming and going from, bigger margins for suppliers.

Discouraging the cutting back of output which is essential for a strong price rise.

And from the politicians view, reinforcing the sense of entitlement in farmers...

Thank God you'll have time to fix the reaper and binder.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Just curious have those farmers buying for 2023 got contracts for their produce otherwise it looks like madness to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I honestly don’t know if they’ve nailed down any contracts KG, but if I were to buy next years fert now, I’d definitely forward sell some grains against it straight away…!

Farmers are acting like the people who stocked up on jacks roll when COVID lockdown started. There’s a crazy scramble going on to buy fert that won’t be needed until this day next year. Mad stuff. A lot can happen in a year.

Then again, they may be the shrewd ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Know a load who bought a good share back last August, fecker must work for the KGB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭older by the day

Text from coop . Not taking anymore orders

Year and a half ago an independent agronomist advised me to buy enough fertilizer to do me until end 2023. Also said cash out my pension. I laughed…I’ll listen a little closer in future.

Interestingly, the same man tweeted a few weeks ago that dairy farmers should grow maize and/or barley…he got piled on and ridiculed. A few weeks later Gov were talking compulsory tillage! Funny that.

Lads are invested in high input systems and don't/didn't want to listen. Now that the sh1t is hitting the fan, they're panicking.

Diesel and fert to set the crop, not a mind shite weather main issues. Coukd possibly do some here but ground may be better used for early and late grazing of yearlings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭straight

I just hope the market for stock will hold up. I've no debt here and will offload the stock if they are not paying. Leave the wife work away and I'll rear a few calves and be a Superdad.

Post of the year! Respect!!

Most sensible suggestion I’ve heard so far.

I do have some reservations about beef price going forward. If you want to send some beef animals to be slaughtered now they’re demanding some dairy cows to accompany them…the last time this was in vogue Beef Plan were the rage. Doesn’t bode well imho.

But but but, if it’s GRASS it’s low input!!

By definition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Plastic,seed and pre-emergance spray per acre for maize has only gone up 15 euro a acre on last years prices, from my supplier only sting in the tail was having to buy 2023's plastic this year as the higher powers in Europe have banned it

Hard to complain with that Jay.

Btw, thanks for marking my card about fert last autumn. In fact many thanks!

Speaking with a merchant earlier he was saying that you’d be amazed how many 2-400 cow herds are only buying fert now…‘reckless’ was the word he used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Got last years maize of on the 20th of September last year, was sown the last week of April, using a earlier maturing variety here as tillage man I've the ground of likes to get in a winter wheat crop after it, even on iffy ground you should be able to travel in September without destroying the place most years

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Maybe the solution is to wind the clock back to a hundred years ago or so before everything became industrialised.

More than dairy herds are at that, lost count how many friends of mine have offered the rebuttal "...but the thinking is.... later in the year..." prices will do down. Hope is a bad plan. Real Narnia stuff, spending their time listening to the two johnnies or whoever rather than finding out what's going on in the world which will affect their business. Reckless indeed.

Have had maize in the past, don't doubt its a good feed but in my situation I don't think it's all the answer some may think. If I was still in winter milk I would still have it. When I said I could possibly set something it would be more likely wholecrop and on rented ground. The rain we get here and a share of the ground is a different kettle of fish compared to even lads 20 mins away. From our place west it turns from decent enough ground to mainly rock and/ or water !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭ginger22

Going to sow 40 acres of barley here this year for crimping in fields that need reseeding, will take care of the weeds in the barley and direct drill grass and lots of clover into the stubble after harvest with as little soil disturbance as possible. So shouldnt have any trouble with weeds in reseed. We have the equipment ourselves as we used to grow barley up until 5 years ago and have bought new ERTH direct drill to sow the grass. Also increasing the maize area.

Careful with the herbicides you use. Group 2, sulfonylureas for example, will kill clovers in the following crop. Best seek expert advice and stick to contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Drinagh coop sent out a text earlier all fert prices being withdrawn until further notice..... Not a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Advertisement