Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Amazon just partnered with them so I would view that as a positive compared to announcing they plan to build out their own version

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

What's going on in Indonesia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Good company or bad company, the only way prices will rise is with more people buying the shares than selling. I don't see too many people wanting to buy the growth stocks for a while, Russia is playing the long game here. Taking a step back, the sanctions against them could see a disruption to the US dollar as the global reserve currency. Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I only just realised how bad the EUR/USD rate is as well, which is compounding matters. My Portfolio has gone from +20% to -15% since November 2021, not counting the fact that the USD stocks are worth ~7% 'more' in currency terms over that period

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Everyone is saying the market is tanking but nothing is dropping enough for me to buy in. I have my eye on Adidas (xet/ads) at the moment but it could drop a lot more...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The FB drop is insane.

It's just worth north of 500bn now.

Tesla is worth 300bn more than it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

FB has many problems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Teledoc's biggest problem is that it's been massively overvalued. The company itself is growing, and it's in a sector I like for the long term. The other bear case that Amazon will eat their dinner is overplayed IMO, and it was interesting to see a partnership recently between the two. At its current valuation it's not a bad entry point. IIRC its still about a year away from breaking even and getting to profitability, so I'm hoping the decline will turn over the next quarter or two.

At the moment, I'm looking at trying to diversify a bit out of tech names and, after previous success with the Zack's ranking system, I've been looking at their picks trying to find something I can get behind. HEES and AGCO have caught my eye... AGCO in particular I think as the world is going to go through a bit shift in farming due to the conflict in Ukraine. Their valuations look cheap but I'm used to tech/growth valuations so I'm biased. Has anyone here looked at them before?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 melven100

Scary to see how all markets are going down. And I guess will go down further. I think the current situation is going to shake everything a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭VonLuck

So what are peoples thoughts on buying back in? Getting regular 10% movement emails which is pretty demoralising!

Part of me is saying that I should dollar cost average, but things are probably going to get worse before it gets better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

My approach is to very cautiously and slowly DCA in. I'm trying to be selective too where I add, I've prices noted for my favoured stocks that if they hit those lows, I buy. All the while, I'm trying to stay around 10% cash so if there is a sudden flush or crash, I can take advantage. The reality is that with the war in Ukraine, there's so much uncertainty that the market could plateau for months before it finds a bottom from which to grow again. I saw a good post/tweet a while back that simply said (something like) "if you're willing to wait years to realise your gains, you should be able to wait a few months for the market to stop falling" i.e. sometimes the best action is to do nothing but wait.

I was a monthly investor for the past 18 months but I've not invested anything yet this year. Don't think I'll touch any of my current investments (down 11% overall) but stop losses maybe a good idea?

I don't believe there'll be any great turnaround in the market with so much uncertainty. I think all this high inflation could push us into a recession. And when there's a recession, companies will cut jobs, costs. I see limited upside in the next 4, 5 months at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

I'm in about 50 stocks, and some investment trusts. Peak +30% Nov 2021 and now -10%. It's very difficult to know when to sell and when to buy back in, and with the added complication of taxes I really don't think it's worth trying to time anything.

If I was not so heavily invested, I'd probably take a gamble on a handful of solid companies right now, and also maybe DCA into some investment trusts over the next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I'm finding it hard to DCA into a stock that is up 14% today... Should have bought into Adidas yesterday...

Down 10k on BABA. Fcuk this market.

• I bought into a fair bit of tech, which have gone south these times. I don’t see that improving any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Bought myself some Scottish Mortgage today, feels like it's just buying the IT market really. It's got cut down so much recently, feel an active manager is gonna do well between now and the end of year

The blood letting continues, at the start of the pullback I was happy to keep adding to positions at a "discount" , now its hard to pull the trigger and have enough funds to do same.

Shopify BEP of $900 and Twilio BEP $250 seem like a million miles away, stuck in the doldrums for a couple of years at least I think

Stock Market - the only shop in town where people stop buying when there's a sale on.

In 10 years time, would you have preferred to have bought two shares of Twilio at $133 or one at $250?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Twilio on my shopping list.

Will pull trigger today on bit more Twilio.

I like Upstart at dropped back again after big uplift post earnings. That and teledoc I want to start positions in.

• Advertisement

I've been pumping away the whole downswing so get the "on sale" point, just running low on fuel to keep going and dishearteningly no sign of stopping, Twilio one that's annoying me because I opened into that around the $300 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Patsy167

NIO share price has slid fairly dramatically over the past 6 months. I might take a small punt on it in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

For all growth investors - what level do you think the Nasdaq will hit at the bottom?

My guess is around where it stood before the pandemic hit so around 10

Affirm is my equivilent disaster. Bought in at $117, watched it peak at $168 and i'm now down 70% in 6 months.

Why do you think it'd go back there when the revenue/profits of those comapnies is so much bigger 2 years later?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Because the pandemic changed the course of market. if the pandemic did not happen, I think the market would be around 12 on a gradual upward course. Thanks to the pandemic, the market hit 16 because there was a lot of money about with nothing to spend it on.

Now we are back in reality and thanks to high inflation, a lot of people will be looking to get money out of the market because they need it in the real world

BABAgholders, what are your losses in % and total terms? I'm down 50% (10k)

It's ruined my portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

My shares portfolio is just about breakeven the second, crypto saving me, and I've diversified half my previous savings into a (very cheap) rental property that should net me 10% rent. I'm cash poor as a result of that property the minute, but aim is to start dollar cost averaging back into the stock market once rent starts coming in, so I'll happily not see an immediate reversal in the stockmarket 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

One position shouldn't ruin your pf. 10k sucks but it's not the end of the world, you can easily make that back. It could be the cheapest lesson you ever learn! You can't do anything about the performance of your assets, all you can do is manage the risk so, while the 10k stings, it could be a good opportunity to reassess your strategy.

Advertisement