Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'll be keeping a close eye on Jack Dunne's progress at Exeter. I feel like Rob Baxter could make a real player out of him. They're losing Skinner and J.Hill so he should see plenty of game time. Hopefully he does a Tadhg Beirne.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

He is signing with Connacht along with Josh murphy peter dooley hawkshaw and is Charlie Ryan going west too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What about Spicer! He's off to Munster! According to a poster on here.

• Advertisement

Spicer is still in school and will be this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Connacht have announced Dooley alright but nothing on Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 20,353 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah Charlie Ryan was linked to Exeter but thst link wasnt very strong. Never heard him linked to Connacht.

Do we knownof leinster are finished with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Adam Byrne official to Connacht.

Charlie Ryan may get a 4th year? A lad that big could be a loss.

Connacht loading up on Leinster boys! Great to see! Adam Byrne could have a comeback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Joe McCarthy is obviously rated very highly by the coaches. Third start in a row for him. Still only 20. The starting pack is quite good overall and there's decent cover from the bench. Centre is an issue though. No recognised 12 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

It made no sense to me and many other people why Dunne was completely out in the wilderness this season. A lot of people showing obvious concern for depth with Toner retiring.

It's clear now that the coaching staff were making way for McCarthy. And rightly so. Been incredibly impressive so far this season. And being harsh, far surpassing anything we've seen of Dunne

Can't see us winning tomorrow against the side Ulster have put out. Lbp a good return here I feel.

Ulsters backline is just extremely strong

Reasonable parity in the packs. Especially in the front 5.

Might need some calls from Frank Murphy and I can't see us getting any. Especially with a partisan Ulster home crowd..... and his refereeing ability...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm concerned about what'll happen at the ruck tomorrow. We know Leinster don't contest rucks as much as some other sides. It's because they'd rather have extra men in the defensive line. That's a perfectly valid strategy, but we've seen over this season and last that opposition sides are having a lot of success at turning us over and ruining some promising attacks.

Nick Timoney did a proper job on us the last time we played Ulster. Need to get our clearout correct for tomorrow otherwise he'll wreak havoc again. Vermuelen is very effective on the deck as well. News to be fully switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Can't see us winning with those line-ups. It could get ugly.

Mad stat to see.

There's almost 400 Leinster caps (391 to be precise)

.... In the Ulster team ha.

That would be a much more interesting stat if Dev and Cronin weren't on the bench with their 477 caps between them haha. Because there are 333 Leinster caps on the Ulster bench which looks impressive if you discount those 2 boys hahaha.

Credit where it is due to McFarland. He's recruited incredibly smartly and backed youth also. There's a lot to like about that Ulster team

Can't see a win here. Ulster very strong. A lbp would be grand. I do like Osborne at 12. Could be very useful here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

This was always going to be a tough one, in Belfast, missing our entire first XV and a chunk of our bench. Ulster are near full strength minus a few.

I'd take a LBP.

Leinster front row not strong.

How Ed Byrne is starting, I dunno.

Need to fast track some more young hookers through the academy.

Vakh having trouble with his neck again. Clarkson not ready for this level yet I don't think.

Toner shouldnt be near the side, id have murphy there ahead of him.

Yea! Byrne is not very good, my opinion and Toner offers nothing. I think the more exposure for Clarkson the better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

Have a spare ticket, possibly 2, for the game tomorrow in Kingspan. Heading up early to watch the Ireland match in the ground - it will be on in Bars & big screens. DM if you want to use them.

There's a supporters bus leaving at 2.00pm as well, if you don't fancy driving

Will be interesting to see how leinster get on next year during the international windows and especially after the rugby World Cup. At least 6 out of that 23 could will be gone or could be retired.

Should be plenty of game time for young lads coming out of the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

As far as I know there won't be as many games in international windows (if at all) next year as there have been this year (as these have been due to Covid etc.) so there should be more availability through next year's domestic season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

This attitude that's often on show from a largish contingent of Irish fans about not being able to see a win or being happy with a bonus point baffles me a bit. If, as is probable if you ask me, this sort of foretelling of results is a mindset that's also present in Irish players then that's not a good thing. How can teams perform optimally if they're overconfident of success against lesser opposition, or happy to get within 7 against bigger teams? Anything can happen in a game of rugby, or sport in general. What position are you placing yourself in if the lesser team you're facing turns up big-time? Maybe this mindset has been part of the problem for Ireland at World Cups.

There's no reason Leinster can't win this match. Looking on oddschecker, the most common odds for a Leinster win seem to be 13/8.

The only time I'd be "happy with a bonus point" - outside of maybe a big away European game when it was all that was needed to secure qualification - would be after a match when Leinster or Ireland were 21 points down with 5 or 10 minutes to go.

Yeah there was not meant to be as many games during the 6 nations but still a game the week before the tournament, 2 games during the free weekends and 1 the week after the tournament. I can't see too many players released for these games.

We got 2 back last week and 2 the week before and no one this week.

I know it's a long way off but the start of the 23/24 season will be played without all the internationals playing in the world cup. We could be without 15 to 20 players for the first 2&1/2 months of the season. Depending how far ireland get and the players normally get a few weeks off...

Will be a great opportunity to blood young players. But back in 19 we had plenty of experienced players to mix with the young players coming through.

Fardy, Toner, bent, tomone, Lowe,jgp,mcfadden to mix with the young players.

Unlike in 2019 when we had 4 NiQ players at the time in 23 Alalatoa will probably be playing with Samoa. So we are left with Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Do your experienced players need to be NIQs? Jerkins might be the only NIQ, but off the top of my head Ruddock, Tracy, Molony, McGrath, Ross Byrne and David Kearney will be there as experienced players.

Not at all I'm just pointing out we had 4 before.. which was a help at the time.

My earlier point was from the 23 tomorrow we will be down at least 6 players...

5 of the 6 you listed are playing tomorrow.

Our "2nd" team currently isn't as strong as it was last year and potentially be weaker again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

How many are missing? I count 21.

14 with Ireland, almost a full team, just missing a right wing, (Healy, Sheehan, Furlong, Baird, Ryan, Doris, Van der Flier, Conan, Gibson-Park, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Keenan).

and 7 injured (Porter, Kelleher, Abdaladze, Connors, Frawley, Conor O’Brien, Larmour).

Are there more missing?

I count Ulster missing 9.

4 with Ireland (Herring, Henderson, Treadwell, Hume).

and 5 injured (O’Toole, Marshall, Stockdale, McIlroy, Addison).

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

I'd take the Leinster 9 / 10 over their Ulster counterparts but the rest of the Ulster backline is threatening. I'd take our front row and the back 5 isn't as much a complete mismatch as people are making out.

Ulster bench is where they should clinch it.

Still expecting a competitive game and looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Advertisement