Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Interesting research work:

Syrian refugees have no statistically significant effect on crime rates in the short- or long-term, when studied in Turkey.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0305750X22000481?dgcid=author

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The conditions here are better with welfare , housing and will get better with own door and an amnesty why move .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

My question is where can they put them? If not enough people volunteer and there aren’t enough hotel/rental places then what? Do they send them back? “Sorry we didn’t plan this so you may as well head back to Poland for now”. That’s worse than not inviting them.

I don't have any real answers about where to put them, except to say that there are options that might not be suitable for most people, but considering the situation, could be put to use for a limited time.

There's a number of closed convents and other boarding schools which were operated by the Church, but aren't being used dotted around the country. The same with holiday camps/homes/camping sites, or scenic locations with chalets or small housing units. I know the DP area in my hometown was never used to capacity.. and I suspect it's the same in many midlands or country areas. There's options out there... not wonderful options but something to be availed of, during the short term.

The big problem with housing in Ireland is that people want to stay in particular areas. For those who are willing to commute/travel, there have always been a lot more choice.

I'm not going to get involved in a discussion about housing because that's not the aim of this thread. It's been done to death on other threads, and I have no interest in rehashing/wrangling the same tired arguments.

• Advertisement

It is true, there is any amount of old hotels, convents, schools, army barracks that can be used for refugees in a time of great need.

There is no need for the ridiculous building regs or renting standards etc.

I would go so far as to say, there might be plenty of people willing to live in these places now, if they got rid of their ridiculous standards! perhaps when the refugees go home, they might realise other people can actually live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Hold on a minute. We're closing down Direct Provision because the conditions are considered "inhumane". So saying that we can just throw refugees into hotels, convents, schools, army barracks is nonsense. The NGO Industrial Complex would be screeching from the heavens if we did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 StemCell

While I wouldn't consider myself a left-wing guy by any standard, in fact the opposite.... you're not looking at the mid/long term picture.

I'd welcome Ukrainians to Ireland. I imagine they're as hard working and proud as the Polish influx we had a decade ago.

In contrast to the African population where I remember reading there was something like a 47% unemployment rate in the Nigerian population.

While this may (okay is) somewhat discriminating against the African population I'm trying to convince titan18 that we genuinely and

desperately need both educated and uneducated workers in Ireland who want to work and have a very positive and strong work ethic.

Also the pension timebomb which is due to our declining ratio of working versus non-working/retired population would be propped up by

an injection of positive hard working young people.

So if we really do see 100,000+ Ukranians in Ireland, I'd be flag waving a lot more for them.

Also, they are the front line against the Russian aggression which will see the end of Putin as he has crippled Russia back to the 1980s until they get rid of their midget dictator and agree to reparations and other conditions to rejoin the modern and civilized world.

I don't think they would, it's a temporary humanitarian issue. Hopefully the war will not go on too long. If it does, things may change, until then No-one will have an issue with temporary accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Shouldn't this be the case for most asulym seekers?

Like DP may be a bit crap but it's better then fearing for your life in your homeland

• Advertisement

I have no argument against that.

I would presume if they actually dealt with asylum claims in a timely fashion, temporary accommodation would be suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean people go on about the pension timebomb but the best way to combat that is in increasing the pension age and making it actually affordable for young people to have kids. Trying to combat it by increasing immigration is really just stacking the house of cards higher before it collapses. Its a band aid to the problem, not a solution.

That is true. It does feel that those who make the most noise about DP have the more spurious claims.

I do really hope a practical solution is in place for those fleeing war in the Ukraine (or anywhere), the BER rating etc isn't important it's giving them a safe place of refuge and supporting how we can.

This does infuriate me. You are totally right, yet creches have more and more costs hoisted upon them which need to be passed onto consumers.

Is becoming harder and harder for working couples to have a kid let alone multiples. We both were, were debating a third and just can't make it work. And we're the lucky ones in we have a mortgage and to be able to support two. Those renting have no hope

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They do deal with them in a timely fashion, the hold up is when the AS don't like the decision when it goes against them and play the system to drag it out for as long as they can while at the same time complaining about the conditions they live in.

As with all appeals processes, that is easily resolved by the govt staffing to the required levels. The only reason the appeals take so long is because there are not enough staff in the system. Its the same story with anything involving appeals (planning, legal etc)

Nope. They are not 'playing the system' they are doing what is legally allowed to do. Change the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

System is designed for that tbf as people in charge don't want to deport. The incompetence of it is just for appearances, it's exactly what they want.

The other important aspect is integration and intermarriage. White people are more likely to marry and have children with other white people. That's the same for Black people, who typically, marry other Black people. Interracial marriage is far less common than marriage between the same racial profile.

The pension aspect is a different matter and is simply incompatible with the rising costs of living, and the costs incurred by older people in a first world nation (or wealthy developing nation). State pensions are simply not viable in a first world nation, because no nation has the kind of economy to support it.

I get what you're saying about Ukrainians. I feel the same about Chinese immigrants and other SE Asian cultural groups, who integrate well, don't cause much trouble, and have the hard-work attitude towards both their personal finances and the raising of their children. To me, they're the groups who we should be encouraging to settle in Europe, as opposed to the groups which typically show a greater presence in the unemployment and crime statistics.

However, as with profiling of any kind... any suggestion of placing priority towards particular groups over others is seen as "wrong". I don't understand the logic myself, but there's a lot of outrage over suggesting such a policy, regardless of the positives for Ireland, if we accept that mass immigration is a definite one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

staff working there would have an issue with substandard or unsafe accommodation . If the accommodation are not up to health and safety regs for accommodation they are not up to standard to work in…

if anything happens it’s a criminal matter if in breach of the health and safety at work act. The penalty is fines, imprisonment or both…

• Advertisement

Not really. The 'system ' is our legal system and constitution. Both of which were designed many many years ago, long before anyone imagined anyone would want to come live in Ireland.

our constitution and legal system are extremely fair and I for one would not want either changing as regards our human rights.

The asylum system itself needs to be quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Looks like Ukranian will likely become the 2nd biggest grouping in the country over the next year or so?

Refugees will go home fat chance welfare is too good .

They have not changed the system in 25 years regarding appeals and now offer an amnesty .

The double standards of the NGO industry. The above accomodation for European refugees will be considered fine by the NGO industry while only the best will do for the scan asylum seekers they seem to exclusively represent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Increasing the pension age is just increasing poverty for retirees and it's essentially a scam to force more people into having private pensions. I'm 56 now; when I retire at 65, under the present plans, I won't get my pension until I'm 68, but I'm told I can apply for jobseekers. So, instead of getting 13,000, I'll get 6,500, despite having worked and contributed since I was 18. How is that fair? I will have a work pension but that suffers the joy of pension levies (PMPA, Quinn et al) so the money is taxed twice. How is that fair? The so-called pensions timebomb is because the Government routinely raids the pensions fund instead of leaving it alone to be given back to the pensioners who paid for it.

Actually, I suggested those places, because another poster asked me where the refugees would be housed... it wasn't really something put forward by the NGO crowd, although I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a wide range of demands for hotels to be re-tasked. This is what tends to happen with our politicians and NGOs, make the grand gesture, and expect someone else to come up with the solutions. Naturally, with this kind of thinking, the most expensive options will be chosen, because there hasn't been the necessary research and planning implemented beforehand. (and before anyone says that Ukraine couldn't have been guessed beforehand, the reality is that there were months of threat by Russia before the invasion, but even without that, due diligence would have planned/prepared for our standard refugee/migrant intakes, with more besides for emergencies).

The interesting thing worth considering is the quality of the accommodation that these refugees experience in their own countries, vs what is expected to be provided for them here. I mean, there are some very nice apartment blocks in Ukraine, but generally speaking building quality is closer to the communist crap (like China), and most people aren't living in housing that we'd consider to be average here. I can remember when people were complaining about the DP services provided, and thinking of my own experiences living/staying in places in their original countries... in many cases, the DP resources were a definite step up from what they'd known before. Probably not for everyone, but there's this strange expectation that refugees, AS, etc should be given the best quality possible, when the average Irish person has to save for decades, in addition to their very awkward mortgage.

• Advertisement

Advertisement