Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solis inverter settings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Planning on charging batteries to max but want to stop them discharging in the morning incase of power outage. I have a solis inverter. Anyone know what setting to change. I think I should change the storage mode select from "self use" to "back up"? Other option could be "off grid". Can anyone confirm? I have a socket wired to the utility from the back up outlet from the inverter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Easiest thing might just be to extend the charge period out to say 22:00. That way it will pull from the grid rather from the battery throughout the day tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

You want to select back up and if you set the value to 80% for example, it will send whatever power it has to the house until it reaches 80% then will stop.

Changed it to back up last night...didnt see any where to set percentages. Just checked 20mins ago and battery charged up fully by 3am which i had set but then started using it straight away unfortunately so was back down to 20% when I checked. Have it back changing now again and changed setting back to self use and hoping it will be charged to 70 or 80% by 9ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

ive not figured out how to "store" battery yet. once there is house load, and its no longer charging, mine immediately discharges.

I am happy enough with that setup since i am on Day/Night rate. But if i had a smart meter i would like to be able to save some juice for peak rate.

If anyone figures out a valid method - please share!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I have a Solis 6kwh hybrid 5G and you should have seen the Reserve SOC value as soon as you clicked Backup mode like this:

Maybe you have different generation/firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

It could be firmware thing. I had this problem with old firmware where backup would not work properly.

Here is how I have it configured:

1. Configure self-use mode, set discharge SOC 20%, FOC 15%
    2. Configure backup mode, set reserve SOC 30% and enable allow charge from grid.

Adjust values to what you need. Allowing charge from grid ensures that your recerve SOC does not drop even when there is no sun.

Apologies my bad. Mine is the same as this. The problem was I never actually turned on back up🙈. Sometimes I get mixed up selecting options in the solis inverter if there is just 2 options eg on/off. I think the one in blue is what should be selected, not the white! I tested today and was able to set SOC at 90% with backup turned on and it charged from grid and stayed at 90%. Thanks for above post as It made me realise I must have done something wrong as I have same 6kwh hybrid inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Hi folks,

Hopefully someone can help me undo my tinkering :)

Might someone share their settings/timings in the 'Time Charge' section? I think I've messed it up, or maybe other settings.

"Advanced Settings" -> "Storage Energy Set" -> "Storage Mode Select" -> "Self-Use" -> "Time Charge"

I'm just looking for my inverter to;

- not use utility to charge the battery pack

- during the day, the battery pack to take any excess solar which the house won't use

- if there is more house demand than solar can give, battery and then utility used

It worked just fine until I started tinkering :D

Post edited by KeRbDoG on

I have self use on, then the choice of time of use or charging from grid.

If i want this to stop charging at the times i have set for winter - then i change run to stop.

But maybe you have a different model or firmware to me.

@KeRbDoG what exactly is the issue you are seeing?

Post edited by yankinlk on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭irishchris

Set self use timed charging to stop and charging from grid to off

So what i've seen is that any excess solar the house doesn't need, is being exported and not being pushed into the battery pack.

I've selected 'Self Use' and the above are the timings - am I missing anything silly?

Do i need to go into 'Backup' and ensure that is switched 'off' also?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Do NOT set the discharge time. Set to 00:00 - 00:00.

Discharge is used for when you purposely want to empty your battery at a particular time, e.g. to expect to grid during a peak period.

OK, do I put the charge time to 00:01 - 23:59 or no need?

What are you trying to achieve? If you want to charge from grid using night rate, set the charging period to be the night rate period i.e. 23:00 - 08:00. No battery power will be used during this time. The battery will be charged at the set A and all house loads will be covered by the grid.

Right now I just want the batteries to take any excess solar during the day and feed that back to the house whenever there is demand. Not using night rate (yet).

In that case set both charging and discharging to 00:00 - 00:00

Unfortunately the unit doesn't allow that - 'save&send' comes back with 'failed' :(

Believe I just need to get the unit back into 'AUTO' mode?

Set the charge time as above midnight to 8am. Set discharge to 00 00 and save. Make sure itsset to stop.Thenyou should get that you need.

• Advertisement

Looks like it's back in action! Thanks folks

Mental note, take photos of configurations before changing

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭munsterfan2

Anyone know if it's possible to disable discharge from battery when zappi is charging car, kicks off at 02:00 until full or 08:00 (super cheap rate from 02:00 to 04:00). I have a 10kw battery and depending on charge state I could let it power the house from 23:00 - 02:00 and 04:00 to 08:00 in addition to the current 08:00 to 23:00.

Background usage at night is approx 350w / hour so 7 hours would be approx 3kw, but the car often pulls in 10+kw during this time and dont want to drain the battery before it get a change to replenish during day

Set Solis to charge from grid from 02:00 to 04:00 at 0A. That will run your house + zappi from grid at the super low EV rate, preserving your battery for other higher rate periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BloodyGoodBloke

Evenign all.

Had my 5kw PV system for a month and yesterday got myself 10Kw of Puredrive batteries installed.

Worked absolutely fine until 7 am this morning when the power went off in the town. I started tinkering trying to get the power on through the Solis inverter and batteries with no avail. (a question for later)

Anyway, when the power came back I noticed the batteries were not behaving and giving me Over Voltage Battery hardware alarms, not discharging.

I have been trying lots of settings all day and what seems to be happening is the battery gets to 100% charge and then stops with the "Over Voltage Battary Hardware (186AF)" alarm.

It's not discharging and feeding back into my house and I'm using grid and solar only.

It seems I have set something up wrong or tinkered with the wrong thing. Used the tips in this thread to turn off all but Self Use (hope its auto). Solar installers are useless at their support.

Any further tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Talk to your installer asap. Don't be worried its just a setting and ask them about the backup for a power outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I agree with @MAULBROOK to talk to your installer as this is new system and they should help and fix it for you.

Here are things that I would try:

1. Check battery settings. In advanced settings\Storage energy set\Battery select. See if correct battery is selected. Should be PureDrive LV. If it is PureDrive then try to set to no battery save settings exit and set back PureDrive and save again. This should load PureDrive profile with default settings. Leave it running and see if it fixes the problem. If not see 2.
    2. Check control parameters In advanced settings\Storage energy set\Control parameters you should see screen below. See what values you have there. Do not change them just post what you see.

thanks folks.

my Installer is shall we say not the most responsive outfit I have ever dealt with... I got in touch with SOLIS who helped me remotely and things seem better today but not what I think is optimal.

@reklamos these are my settings now

I have 2x Puredrive II 5Kw Dc batteries

and this is the current state of the plant. I thought it would be using the surplus to charge the Battery not export to grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I might be able to explain that. Your battery is nearly full in that screen shot. (95%)

Some BMS (Battery management systems) slow down the charge rate as it approaches full capacity, so even though you might have available current, it doesn't pull everything it can to protect the battery. Same with car batteries. Quick to get to 80% but over that the BMS controlls the current going into it to make it last.

Just a theory. Be interesting to see the behaviour with the battery say 50-60% full.

The thing is it's discharging not even trickle charging

I will do an update tomorrow with the overnight usage should have dropped to 60%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

My apologises. I misread that. On the plus side, while it's discharging, it's discharging at 11watts, which is very little. There is a certain inaccuracy on the CT clamps. It could be down to that. it's a familiar topic on the battery thread, these "phantom" charges/discharges.

Advertisement