Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Ah now, I’m not the resident Damien Donohoe bodyguard on this thread but to say he should be sacked because of that is a bit much and going way too far.

He certainly didn’t give all the info on the podcast from what I’ve heard since. He painted the frozen pitch as another example of the bad luck they’ve been having but I’m not sure what was expected trying to train at 8am in the middle of a run of frosty nights.

I said from the start on here that he was in over his head getting that role and, unfortunately, I’ve been shown to be correct.

Just a pity the chance for Daragh McCarthy to take on the role has been missed. His success with Butlersbridge only makes the selection all the more galling.

Re Antrim, I’m not sure what can be done. The pitch they are suggesting only holds 3,700 supporters. Is it fair on Cavan supporters that they miss out on their first chance of attending a championship game in three years? The 2019 Tyrone qualifier was the last game a crowd could attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

If what Lemlin is implying is that training was set early on Sunday so he could get to Sligo to report on NS. Which I assume is a paid gig and has been for a fair while, so it was a work commitment rather than ego. Unless we are suggesting that the u20 manager is a full time job and that people cancel all work commitments?

By the way, if what was said above is true it is poor decision making but nothing to do with ego.

I may be the unluckiest match-going Cavan fan, but from personal experience I can say that there is a significant cohort of Cavan fans who go to matches who are the whiniest supporters on the planet. Sligo being a case in point. Going absolutely apoplectic that the ball wouldn't go in long, that points weren't being kicked from 40 yards against a strong wind. The phrase "the worst ever" was used several times. One of the things I love about the GAA is that the fans aren't segregated and I've never heard the opposition fans give out about their own team as much. Again, that could pure bad luck on where I am standing or sitting, but it's based on a fairly large sample size over the last few decades! :)

The reality of it is that a lot of Cavan fans are trapped in the 50s, and the majority of people going to games have NEVER seen Cavan be dominant in Ulster. Never. I've been going a fair while and seen us win two Ulster titles (one on the telly) and a handful of finals over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Im not suggesting it should be a full time job but surely the least the players can expect is that Donohoe would give training the team his full attention and focus at the weekend rather than looking after his commentating gig first. Expecting them to train at 8am on a frozen pitch and pissing off to Sligo rather than waiting until there was a pitch available is laughable, it’s Father Ted stuff. He shouldn’t have got the job if he can’t be arsed doing it. It’s more than poor decision making, its a poor attitude.

He never should have taken the job on if it interferes so much with his paid employment, especially when it involves so much weekend work.

I’m nearly sure the Tyrone game was played under restrictions and each club got ten tickets. I remember a number of clubs raffling the tickets. I certainly don’t remember full capacity being allowed.

A quick search of Twitter shows clubs like Swanlinbar & Castlerahan tweeting that they had ten tickets for raffle.

• Advertisement

So he should be sacked because his ego is too big (your statement) or that he cannot park all of his employment commitments? Make your mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

No, but that's some reply. I hope you didn't stay up all night on that material.

I think what Lemlin is hearing isn't good but your reply that it was his ego is a bit clueless as IF he put training on that early in March with frost etc due to his work commitments.

I say IF because I don't know Lemlin from adam, and whilst she/ he knows his /her stuff on football, the Lidl Denn source on TED not being on the panel clearly was a load of cobblers, as could be the frozen Killinkere pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

There was no “Lidl Denn” source. I saw TED in Lidl myself immediately after the Wexford game. And by immediately I mean I left Breffni and drove straight down the road!

I then asked someone from Denn I know if he was on the panel and they reckoned he wasn’t. Perhaps he was called in after that game or they were wrong. I don’t know.

Re the Donohoe stuff, it came from one of the players directly. There’s three sides to every story though, person A has their side, person B has their side and somewhere in the middle there is the truth!

You’d have to ask, if it wasn’t true though, how a frozen pitch on Sunday was an issue given all the Ladies League games that went ahead around the county at 11.

• Advertisement

Sure you can't bate those Lidl bargains, how could TED resist them!

I’ve already seen enough tight Cavan jokes on Twitter for one day. If I read one more plonker saying we’re too tight to pay for the diesel for the bus to Antrim 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I enjoy the podcasts mostly. If we could take care of Tipp on Sunday and secure promotion they could give a few of the fringe lads a chance in the last 2 games although I still think winning momentum is important so we can't be slipping up against Waterford or London. I heard Galligan is out for this game too?

Antrim fans loosing the plot about the game being moved from Corrigan. I'd prefer if Cavan had stayed out of it.

We Are Cavan reckon Galligan’s ban was two games. Their suggested team was:

Galligan

Finnegan, Faulkner, Brady

Moynagh, Conroy, Kiernan

Clarke, James Smith

Gerry Smith, McKiernan, McLoughlin

Madden, Lynch, Reilly

I’ve avoided the “debate” on Twitter today. Cahair O’Kane said earlier if counties objected to a trip to Ballybofey it would be laughed out of it.

False equivalence. The issue is that Corrigan is tiny and we would likely bring a crowd. Antrim can call foul all they want but for the first game most of us can attend we have to suffer for lack of investment in grounds in Antrim?

is my pickled memory playing tricks or did we not have to play some “home games” in Brewster when Breffni wasn’t available in 2018?

I don’t remember people insisting we go to Kingscourt instead for the Down or Tyrone games:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

Antrim are building a siege mentality about it at this stage. Does the vote mean it’s already been agreed the game should move?

You’ve Antrim journalists like O’Kane and Niblock not giving the full picture and blaming Cavan but it’s hardly Cavan’s fault Antrim don’t have a stadium capable of holding the game.

• Advertisement

😂 I prefer to be inside the tent p***ing out rather than outside the tent p***ing in

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Well done to them, win was badly needed and good confidence boost

Need to make it 3 from 3 tomorrow with a win for the Seniors. Kevin Carney in The Irish News reckoned Graham has everyone bar Conor Brady, Ciaran Brady & Thomas Galligan.

Cavan team is up on the app. It’s the 15 that We Are Cavan picked.

Sure we’ll see how many changes there are at 2 tomorrow!

Jaysus- the starting 15 listed the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

That's a strong 15 if it starts

Hopefully we can push on and seal the promotion tomorrow

He didn’t feature at all last week so I would imagine he was carrying some form of knock. In fairness to Mickey, he seems to be allowing lads rest if they get a tweak at all.

Seeing Conroy named at 15 hasn’t been as much of a feature this year so we may see Cormac tomorrow yet.

We’ll only know the definite team at throw in!

As far as I remember he came off with a bit of a knock against Carlow

I’m going for a 5 point win, with a goal in there for us again. Tipp aren’t to be taken lightly but they’re far off the team they were in 2020 and I feel we’re focussed and ready to get the job done.

Gunner and Faulkner have enough to keep Sweeney quiet & hopefully we get revenge for 2017.

• Advertisement

Advertisement