Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yup.

Nothing to do with Treaty. They've no control over pitch maintenance which is carried out by the folks who run the Market's Field and decided to dump a **** ton of sand on it over month before the season started. Not the first time the LEDP made a balls of one of the best pitches around in pre season.

Passed a pitch inspection this morning and the club asked for another inspection to happen earlier in the day with the rain coming but were told no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Strong finish from shels, enjoyed the finish to that game. Hopefully they can build from this comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good win for us in Ballybofey. 1st half was dreadful, 2nd half was much better. Our first goal was a fantastic team move. Harps had a few chances but took none of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah good result. As you say Harps had their chances. Didn’t think their keeper was great for the goals, particularly the second. Forrestor was top class again, on an awful pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Very poor from Drogheda tonight. Sligo were very good but given the freedom of the park.

We have a CM playing CB, Georgie Poynton totally exposed at RWB in a 3-5-2 and no movement up front.

9 goals conceded in 4 games. On the plus side, brought on a 16 year old striker for his league debut.

Easy 3 points for both Derry and Dundalk next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nice 3-1 win for us in Bray. By all accounts it was a poor game. The Bray stream for Loitv was also awful according to those on our forum who watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Thought dundalk were just about to hold on when the ref gave the pen. On the sujectof refs. I almost cried when i saw mcgraith was the ref on Monday night. Imo he's totally imcompetant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Rovers weren't particularly good last night, but did enough for the win.

Great crowd and atmosphere in Tallaght with the applause for Dan impeccably observed by both sets of fans.

Bohs are worse then they were last year.

Sligo on Friday is going to be a big test. Rovers need to start like they did last night, and cut out the silly mistakes like passes straight to the opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Thought ye would hold on to be fair. Don't think either team did enough to win it but obviously we were running out of time to score a goal and we don't score many. We're well organised and like last week stifled the opposition and neither Derry or Dundalk created many chances. You can however see the difference in quality between Shels and those teams so great to come back and get a point.

Two soft goals at either end. No need for Shels to give away the free kick for Hobans goal. Good delivery from the set piece and Hoban did what he does best. His 100th premier division goal apparently. Pity he didn't wait till Monday but fair play to him.

Soft penalty to give away too. Thought Connolly could have dealt with it. Allowing it bounce let's Boyd in. Not much else keeper could do.

Can see progress and the new team starting to gel together. Dangerous thing to say when the next game is only two days away. Could have to correct myself Tuesday morning. Can't fault the effort though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah fair assessment. Rovers very professional and were good for the win but they weren't exactly carving Bohemians open either, they know how to win games which is what matters but it's hard to remember the last time we really blew someone away. I would probably be thinking back to 2019 for a performance like that I can remember.

Bohs weren't too bad but probably the least dangerous looking Bohs team I've seen in a couple of years, I'd imagine Promise would have been a threat if available though. In the past when they've come to Tallaght they've looked quick, incisive and looked to exploit us on the counter but last night was a tame enough affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I thought Bohs were dangerous, especially in the second half. Their number 7, Stephen Mallon, looks tasty (the flick he did in the middle of the park in the second half, over the head of one of the Rover's lad was spectacular and worth the admission price alone almost), and they've a few other decent lads there too that impressed me on the night (Devoy, Coote...). I was expecting them to equalise. TF they didn't. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I thought Bohs were pretty toothless last night without Omochere, but Long is going to need more than a 21 year old and a penalty shout for the season. Neither keeper had much to do really.

Big win for Rovers in the manner of a solid defensive display with several players' best performances defensively - Hoare has been very good since the President's Cup game, Grace and Gary O'Neill very good. Lyons was ok and even Towell ran around and put pressure on when he came on. They have given soft goals away all season, so good to see it out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We have no plan be if Promise or Junior are out, which they both were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Almost a thousand at the Showgrounds today for Rovers' first WNL match. Great to see so many kids at it.

Tough year or two ahead as the team finds its feet but hopefully having another WNL team in the West encourages more young girls in the region to stick with football post-secondary school.

Solid win for us tonight against a UCD who are dangerous enough on the counter but are just lacking the quality to really threaten the top teams. Eoin Doyle was class tonight.

It's early doors but I don't think Liam Buckley has ever recruited as well as he appears to have this winter. The Keena signing sort of flew under the radar but he has been brilliant so far. 3 really well taken goals tonight, especially the second one.

Fitzgerald and O'Sullivan on the wings have been impressive. Nando Pijnaker at CB is already one of the best in the league and has a fantastic range of passing. Hamilton/Mata are both settling in well and contributing.

Our core from last season, McGinty, Buckley and Bolger, were all out and we still won comfortably. Last season we fell apart whenever just Bolger was out but the midfield appears much stronger now. Hopefully we get something in Tallaght on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We should have been out of site against Treaty by the hour but we dropped deeper and gave away a poor goal. JC then went full chicken with his subs and we hung on for what was a deserved win. Stephen Walsh reverting to being a striker has worked wonders so far, 3 in 3 and a man of the match performance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Why don't LOI players get booked for celebrating deliberately in front of opposition fans? Genuine question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yeah, Doyle was the difference in the first half really. Was a decent game of ball with both sides creating plenty of chances, but Pat's sent theirs mostly into row Z and we struggled to get the ball out from under our feet. Doyle was the one to break the deadlock, and the second goal killed the game entirely.

The league is I think starting to pan out roughly as expected, although Rovers have dropped more points than I'd have thought at this stage, and Sligo seem more competitive than their pre-season activities would have had you believe. Dundalk could still go either way once the draws start turning into wins/losses as they inevitably will.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mandroiu was I think...Twigg was banned for it...

A decent second half for Rovers but the fixtures seem to be very front loaded. Pats Bohs Dundalk and Sligo all played twice by May. It's about getting enough points to stay in touch when strength in depth really kicks in. The win on Friday and the Sligo game are important. No home game from Friday for a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Comfortable win for us last night versus Drogs, despite them having 2 good shots on target in the first 2min.

Thought the visitors were poor , and we didn't play overly well but still never looked in danger.

Low point losing Michael Dufty to what looked like a serious injury only 5min after coming on. Hopefully it's not as bad as it looked but fear the worst . McEleney already out again from last night's game, and Matty Smith also injured.

Edit: news this morning that he had a fractured tibia. Terrible news for Michael and ourselves, will be a big loss. Also a loss for the league. We need to be seeing the best players every week for the reputation of the league, and we've lost one of the LOIs best for a spell.

Overall we probably didn't deserve 3 points but I'd have put the house on Hoban scoring in the 93rd minute.

From the Dundalk homage

“ Since the 2022 SSE Airtricity League ​campaign​ got underway last month, there have been a number of incidents at grounds around the country that have led to clubs, including ourselves, being fined by the FAI.

With that in mind, we believe it is only right to acknowledge the impeccable behaviour and conduct of our own fans – and the travelling Shamrock Rovers supporters – ​who attended ​on Monday night.

Rivalry in football is a good thing and nobody ever wants to see that diluted but it was great to see it displayed in a way that did not threaten the safety of other fans or lead to fines​ from the association.​“

3546 attendance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Rovers must have brought a different class of fan to Oriel than they did to the Brandywell then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Shels should of pushed on after the goal, instead of letting 10 men come onto us. Too many sloppy passes from us too. Got to the Pats and Derry games and going Finn Harps friday too, good to see the Shels support coming back out in numbers.

I suppose I'm as guilty as any of not getting to as much matches as I should have when times went bad, when Shels needed all the support they could get. Couldn't help standing in the Des Kelly stand yesterday and looking around and thinking most of us here are frauds. Only thing you can do it not let it happen again I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

I said last Paddy's Day and I still stand by the opinion that there should be a big league of Ireland game on TV today during the middle of the day.

The GAA have moved the club finals from Paddy's Day due to changing the calendar and they have put the schools finals on today instead. 2 games live on TG4.

Just seems like a tremendous own goal that the League of Ireland don't do something similar.

• Advertisement

I partlly agree with deisedude. There shuld be a full program of matches today with one on tv.

Three dundalk players in the Wales u21.

And Stephen Bradley is 20 today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

It's not an own goal by the league because it's not something they have control over.

TV companies aren't rushing out to broadcast the LOI at the best of times never mind today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

At the very least you would expect them to try and get it a match on the TV.

I mean like Jesus there are teams with "St. Patrick" and "Shamrock" in their names. If the marketing team in the FAI can't do anything with that to make a Paddy's Day derby then they are in the wrong profession.

Have a look at the RTE 2 schedule for today. Pure and utter sh1te on most of the day

The reality is that the "pure and utter sh*te" on RTE2 will get the same or better ratings as most LOI games. And there is no extra production cost involved in broadcasting Home & Away or whatever they have on.

There needs to be a game on TV every week or nobody wins here. The ratings are sh*te, which makes the broadcaster unhappy, and the league doesn't have the chance to grow because people aren't watching. I don't expect RTE to show one every Friday, but if the FAI could get TG4 and Virgin on board and let the 3 channels rotate coverage each week it would be great. Use the NT rights as bait to convince them if needed. Let Virgin and TG4 cover some men's friendlies and some underage/women's NT games as part of the agreement.

I was reminded of a good example of consistent scheduling the other day when Razor Ramon/Scott Hall passed away. It has been 25 years, but I still remember Nitro was on TNT every Friday night at 9pm. It's ingrained in my memory due to its consistency. They have to stop this crap where we get a game on RTE and then there isn't a single mention of LOI on TV until the next TV game a month later. You're not going to build any fanbase/viewership doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Scheduling is and TV companies like games with something at stake and the league can put them on at appealing times for TV companies.

Today would have been an ideal day for the Unite the Union Cup Final in Landsdowne Road. A very decent crowd and RTE/BBC on board could've been possible. Instead it looks like that competition will die because no-one can decide when to play the bloody thing. A pity for a competition with a healthy prize pot.

Showing a game on Paddy's Day wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. Irish football died with Belfast Celtic and the introduction of match of the day.

The only way to bring it back is big investment in academies and modern stadium that's comfortable for the barstooler. Heightened revenue and better talent coming through then, which we could hold onto more of, not players going to UK.

The geographical spread needs to be better. I'm the only non Dublin person I know who supports a Dublin club. Anyone from Meath wouldn't touch a Dublin club due to GAA county divides. In England, county boundaries are meaningless, so people will support a club in a general vicinity, if even in another county. GAA unites the country, but in a way divides it on tribal county borders not seen anywhere else.

We should be striving to invite northern nationalist teams like Cliftonville and Distillery, and forget a united league with unionists. FAI should be pushing for a special dispensation to operate in the north, giving nationalist easier and earlier access into our football system. Belfast clubs involved also brings more interest.

Very short sighted vision generally in Irish football. FAI should of bent over backwards to bring Belfast Celtic down here, instead of watching them die. Biggest club the country ever seen. Complete waste

• Advertisement

Also, I'm a bit disappointed at the number of people on social media/among my friends who are watching the LOITV feeds on dodgy boxes and streaming websites. Not to advertise for them or anything..but I've been told they still have every game from both divisions, so if the pre-season rumour about LOITV moving to a PPV model to combat piracy had some truth then it was a big fail. As was said by many in pre-season, I think the PPV model will end up being an own goal by the clubs/FAI and end up generating much less revenue than a pass would have.

There's also a rumour that the managers haven't been given access to LOITV and are being asked to pay €7 for every match they want to watch. I read on twitter that Ollie is refusing to do LOITV interviews because of it. Obviously the managers have instat and wyscout these days but it's still poor form from LOITV if the rumour is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

Looking for a bit of help.

Want to go to Tallaght tonight. Shams website says away tickets, contact the away club. Sligo's website has nothing. Ideas?

See RTE are showing Drogheda v Dundalk tonight. Don’t want to be overly critical, and it’s always good to get a game on, but..... on a night when the top four are playing each other wouldn’t one of those games have made more sense ? Minor quibble really, and I suppose the Louth derby should draw a good crowd. One thing that’s been very encouraging so far this season is the crowds. Hopefully we can keep that going.

A draw was probably a fair result at the Brandywell tonight, but I'll take the 3pts. Top of the league.

Nice start to the season for us. Hopefully we can hang around the top 2 or 3 until we get all the injuries fit again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

There wasn’t much I can take away from that shels game except it was probably the mildest night this year at Tolka. They never looked like scoring and the score line did not flatter Harps.

• Advertisement

Only Hennessy thought that a penalty . Backs up what up I posted earlier about referees- all we want is consistency.

Disappointed we didn't close Patching down better for the second goal. Switching to three at the back didn't work for the last 15 minutes.

Thought the defenders were very slow to get out to Patching. It didn't appear to be the greatest shot he'll ever hit either. Think keeper could have done better too (unless it took a slight deflection).

Thought it was fairly well placed myself, but our defenders didn't get out fast enough. Draw would have been fair enough but I wouldn't complain too much about the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Rovers battered Sligo tonight, but some poor marking, and one misplaced pass cost us.

Could have scored six or seven on another night.

Definitely should have closed down better for the second goal I thought. We could have got the draw, and it was a bit of a sickner to lose it so late, but thems the breaks.

You'll have to stop shooting directly at the keeper if you want to score 6 or 7. McGinty had one challenging save to make all game which he tipped over the bar and then McDonnell scored the OG from the corner off that.

Post edited by Oat23 on

I've seen brutal efforts, but that Shels performance is up with the best of them. In 90 minutes and at home, to one of the weakest teams in the league, didn't look like even threatening the Finn Harps goal at any point in the match. Pure dirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

After last nights result I think the penny may be finally dropping around Tolka that dismantling the core of your First Division title winning squad after one season that you had just rebuilt after relegation in favour of a number of players who can't pass or control a football on a full-time professional setup under the belief you can somehow develop these players was a stupid idea no matter if you have Duff or Klopp or Guardiola in charge.

Sligo (A), Shamrock Rovers (H), Derry (A) next 3 games could be brutal, maybe Clarke back in goals and Griffin, Moylan and Lunney back from injury may help us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

The players and long got told in no uncertain terms walking the steps through the fans in Belfield, long looked shocked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement